Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Last night. I shut down my computer every night. Have for any computer I have owned. No reason to keep them running when you are not going to be using them for a while. I even put mine in sleep mode when I think I will not use it for a while during the day.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Chickat View Post
    I have an SSD but I usually put it in sleep mode. I'm not sure which is best.
    I think it is best to shut it off. Some issues with a computer, need what they call a cold start. In other words, a complete shutdown and restart. While that may not be as much of a issue as it use to be, I still want to shut it completely off before I go to bed. Sleep mode helps some, by not having your fans running more than they need to be and thus reducing the amount of wear and the dust collection inside your case and on the fan blades.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

It has been 24 hours since the last shutdown.
    Last edited by Bryntrollian; 2020-05-10 at 12:51 PM.

I have a lil simple script that shuts down my pc in 2 hours.
    Before bed i put on something i like and activate the script so by the time im zzz the pc is off.

Most nights it gets shut down. Sure I miss a few here or there, but that is life. PCs use a lot of power. They generate a lot of heat. I live in a place in which it gets pretty hot. To leave the PC on all the time when it isn't in use is just making the AC blow harder and heating up the rooms faster when it just isn't needed.

Turn it off every night. I forget it from time to time, but I more or less turn it off every time. I have always had this idea that the PC has need of a rest lol. Probably just nonsense. But my PC turns quickly on anyway so it doesnt matter that much. Often times I turn it on and go do something else for a little bit anyway.

I shut it off every night unless I fall asleep while watching something.

4 days up time at moment. Usually leave it running over night incase an update or something strikes.

Sleep mode on the desktop and just shut the lid on the laptop.

Discord, twitch, skype, canon and a bunch of others seem to like to auto turn back on the setting for them to boot up when the PC does. Frustrating as hell and given up on keep changing it back

And don't even get me started on those apps minimizing when you hit the close button
    Desktop: Zotac 1080 TI, I7 7700k, 16gb Ram, 256gb SSD + 1TB HDD
    Laptop: Zotac 2070 MaxQ, I7 8750, 32gb RAM, 500gb SSD + 2TB SSD
    Main Game: Warcraft Classic

Haters gonna hate

I'm shocked at how many people shut them down... Mine runs 24/7, hell even my monitors stay on, no sleep settings on monitors or PC. I restart it for updates that's it. The same goes for the laptop I use in my Den.
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cuafpr View Post
    I'm shocked at how many people shut them down... Mine runs 24/7, hell even my monitors stay on, no sleep settings on monitors or PC. I restart it for updates that's it. The same goes for the laptop I use in my Den.
    You never open them up and blow the dust out? The amount of dust that can collect inside a PC is amazing. And that shit can restrict some air flow and thus reduce the life of components.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

10+ Year Old Account
    I used to keep mine turned on because of how slow it was both to shut down and to boot up. It was frustrating to want to get straight into something but have to wait 5 minutes for my pc to be usable. I got my current pc about 3 years ago and it came with an SSD. The difference to boot up and shut down time was remarkable. Literally about 10 seconds and I can start using my programs instantly without having to wait for the system to finish booting up. After 3 years it boots up as fast as it did when it was brand new. I can't see myself ever going back to a normal HDD.

So to answer, I shut my PC down if I know I won't be using it for at least an hour. No point wasting the electricity

Quote Originally Posted by korijenkins View Post
    If you have an SSD there's no reason to not shut it off every night.

If you don't have an SSD, get one. They're pretty fucking cheap now.
    Even if it's just a 256gb one for like $40 that JUST has the OS on it
    Cheerful lack of self-preservation

It takes me longer to get a cup from my cupboard than to boot the PC, why in hell wouldn't i shut it down every day?

Quote Originally Posted by AndyF1069 View Post
    So to answer, I shut my PC down if I know I won't be using it for at least an hour. No point wasting the electricity
    Turning your computer on and off uses more electricity than idling it, because computers are generally smart enough to power down unused devices (this is why when first accessed after leaving it alone for a while you can hear an HDD spinning up).

It's also hard on the components to have power and not so often. Turn a computer on once, and turn it off once, per day.
    Cheerful lack of self-preservation

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    You never open them up and blow the dust out? The amount of dust that can collect inside a PC is amazing. And that shit can restrict some air flow and thus reduce the life of components.
    not really, never have with any system I've ever owned and never had an issue. Occasionally I'll look threw the window on the side but it has never seemed that bad.
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

Ages ago when i was using a slow 5mbps DSL its on 24/7. Now theres no reason to, it also boots up 1/4 the time it takes you to login a character in WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by Nefarious Tea View Post
    Turning your computer on and off uses more electricity than idling it, because computers are generally smart enough to power down unused devices (this is why when first accessed after leaving it alone for a while you can hear an HDD spinning up).

It's also hard on the components to have power and not so often. Turn a computer on once, and turn it off once, per day.
    Best shout given, I have a 2TB HDD for all games & personal storage and a 256gb SSD for just OS.

Quote Originally Posted by AryuFate View Post
    The last time I shut off my PC was about a month ago. It takes too long to start it up, so I just let it go into sleep mode instead. Some people swear that you should turn it off, while others say it's best to leave it on. Which boat are you in?
    Every night, as well as if I'm on it in the morning and have to leave home for an appointment. I have an SSD, startup is instant.

I shut off my PC and gear everyday. Lots of wattage is used otherwise for no reason.
    I got power strip off-switches for a reason at the comfort distance.
    -

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeekyflaps View Post
    Best shout given, I have a 2TB HDD for all games & personal storage and a 256gb SSD for just OS.
    My next rig will have a 256gb SSD for OS and a 1-2tb SSD for games. Currently I'm using a 1tb SSD for OS and games