Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    They have... the aliens allegory has been very effective.
    Hmm? You mean the non-interferance policy when it comes to other cultures? It's correct that it's not okay to violate the consent of alien cultures but I think they're fundamentally wrong when it comes to the idea that you can't try to uplift less advanced alien societies through purely voluntary means. (E.g. discussion & debate)
    Last edited by PC2; 2020-05-12 at 02:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Hamsters View Post
    No, it's not.

Making it into a Left vs Right convo to begin with is probably a very left-or-right thing though.

Yep, very much so.
    Just look at modern-day hunter gatherer societies, the form which we lived as for FAR longer in our existence. Caring for your group is literally human nature. Modern humans have simply enabled their "group" to contain so many different concepts. . Some choose selfishness and greed as their tribe. Those people can thrive in modern society, but would've been shunned on the savannah.
    Aye, that is what Marx called "Primitive Communism." The early hunter & gatherers divided labor and all got food accordingly.

It's not only for lefties...but there is a lot of allegorical criticism of many of the values that the Right holds dear. Often the criticism tries to strike a balance where it is just subtle enough not to enrage the conservative viewers while still being obvious enough to those with a more liberal mindset.

Why assume? Tons of posts explaining here.
    The lack of shame self-proclaimed communists display is not surprising to me.

It is... authoritarianism of the majority, is the sound of a whining baby, not authoritarianism.

The reason Vysotsky wasn’t murdered, because they fed him drugs and he was a willing participant. The guy was on a path of killing him self through drugs... The point is the lyrics... arguing if you are shot in the front or back, is irrelevant.
    Vysotsky wasn't murdered because he was a useful propaganda puppet in the hands of the Sovs and had fans in high places. As to him being a drug friend, I wonder why that is, and I also wonder how willing a participant he was. Given the circumstances, you know.
    As to your first sentence there, it doesn't make any sense to me, the reasons for which can be two: a language barrier, or it being as devoid of sense and meaning as it sounds. I lean towards the latter interpretation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adolecent View Post
    I'm getting infracted by an American moderator on an American topic promoting/advocating weapons on a childrens forum, what else to expect on an American forum. I'm done here and i'm going to leave you one thing to remember:
    [extremely graphic picture of dead children]
    Hope you sleep well. With the lack of empathy the majority of you show i guess that won't be a problem. BB

Quote Originally Posted by omeomorfismo View Post
    werent the romulans the fascist ones?
    with the klingons being the classical soviet stereotype.

borgs at best were against the american individualism, but more than a political allegory they were "sentient" ants (and anyway a late introduction).
    If you ask me, Klingons, Romulans and Cardassians are fascists.

the borg, i think, can be argued both ways for Authoritarian Left (Upper left corner of political compass) or Authoritarian Right.

The Borg, it's a collective. They do the bidding of a queen. The Borg think nothing, do nothing but work for the queen's goals.

In a hyper-authright society, you are meat for the meatgrinder. The same for a hyper-authleft. So I see why there is a general confusion.

Both have authoritarian figures. Both command people what to do. Absolute power.

I found a suitable explanation of why I believe the Borg are AuthRight.

Right wing politics tend to favor "order" and find hierarchies to be natural. They are reactionary, and are skeptical of radical change and of the idea of 'equality' being the natural state of things. Thus, the massive power of the state would be to uphold order and to keep these hierarchies in place. Nowadays, we associate right-wing as 'conservative' but more extreme far-right authoritarian politics could also be described as fascist, corporatist, or monarchist. These are strongly hierarchal societies where 'might is right'. The Authoritarian state is there to uphold the social fabric they see as 'natural', and typically this goes hand in hand with strongman leaders, chauvinism, patriarchy, and nationalism.
    Borg are extremely hostile to outsiders and force them to assimilate to keep order and more meat for the meatgrinder. There is no negotiation with the Borg. They have hierarchy. The closer to the queen you are the better (slightly).

Left wing politics tend to favor "progress" over "order", and instead look to egalitarianism (equality) as the true ideal of society, with hierarchies being unnatural and a tool of the elites to maintain their power. They (at least in the beginning) favor rhetoric of 'revolution' and radical change as they are skeptical of upholding the old order and the status quo that the Right Wing favors. So AuthLeft governments seek to achieve this ideal of progress and egalitarianism with the power of the state to enforce and maintain it. Authoritarian Left politics manifests itself as Communism (more specifically the Stalinist, Maoist, and North Korean Juche varieties).
    Borg are not progress minded. They are survival minded. They hunt for more bodies to assimilate. All just for the Queen. There is nothing to improve. They are just a war machine designed to keep the queen alive.
    Last edited by Weeps; 2020-05-12 at 02:07 AM.

One time I watched the Atlas Shrugged movie on youtube. I hate the concepts on it. Most of it made me cringe but I wanted to see what happened in the end. I can imagine a lot of conservatives feel that way when they watch star trek. When I was in my early 20s, I asked a conservative co-worker why he would not want an existence like the existence in Star Trek. He told me that he thought that it was living beings trying to make a heaven in their own existence instead of worshipping God and wanting to go to god's heaven. Part of what makes me like star trek is because it is a world I would like to live in.

Quote Originally Posted by Weeps View Post
    The Borg, it's a collective. They do the bidding of a queen. The Borg think nothing, do nothing but work for the queen's goals.
    You do understand that there are multiple Borg Queens and that its nothing more than a specialized drone? Everything serves the collective including the Queen.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    You do understand that there are multiple Borg Queens and that its nothing more than a specialized drone? Everything serves the collective including the Queen.
    I will admit, it has been a very long time since I watched a Borg episode. It's the part of Star Trek I don't really like much. I did not remember there were multiple queens.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Coolthulhu View Post
    You keep using those words... I don’t think you know what they mean.

Vysotsky wasn't murdered because he was a useful propaganda puppet in the hands of the Sovs and had fans in high places. As to him being a drug friend, I wonder why that is, and I also wonder how willing a participant he was. Given the circumstances, you know.
    As to your first sentence there, it doesn't make any sense to me, the reasons for which can be two: a language barrier, or it being as devoid of sense and meaning as it sounds. I lean towards the latter interpretation.
    Do you think it’s funny that you allude to the same reason for drugs I stated, then come to the conclusion you did? Because, it’s cracking me up...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Weeps View Post
    I will admit, it has been a very long time since I watched a Borg episode. It's the part of Star Trek I don't really like much. I did not remember there were multiple queens.
    It actually gets even more wackadoo if you include the canon novels. The Borg have an organic origin. And that original organic entity, now long dead, was the original "mind" that is now the Collective. Borg Queens are definitively just an expression of that Collective's will, and have no real independence or individuality; they're specialized drones with greater local control to better adapt to circumstances in realtime.

They're also "Borg" literally because one of the first assimilated drones was a human whose last thought was that he "didn't want to become a cy-borg". Bam, name.

Freely admit I'm dragging this up from Memory Beta, and haven't read these particular novels, however; https://memory-beta.fandom.com/wiki/Borg_Collective

What I'm getting at is that Star Trek really isn't as deep and philosophical as people pretend. It's mostly silly fluff.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    What I'm getting at is that Star Trek really isn't as deep and philosophical as people pretend. It's mostly silly fluff.
    Star Trek is both, that's the fun. One episode can be a courtroom drama where the nature of existence and freedom are debated, and then another episode everyone gets mind controlled by video games.
    /s

7+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn’t take anything seriously from the human blockbot.

15+ Year Old Account
    They can be but most underlying themes (that aren't blatantly in your face) kind of wash over them. You can see this by how insanely intolerant so many X-Men fans are.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumboy View Post
    I'm not sure if you guys have noticed but sometimes I say things that are kind of dumb
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    I just like reading about the "vigorous rubbing" that might affect ball inflation.

there is a bad guy in almost every episode for right wingers to identify with whether its some alien that glarks people or some space shit that norks people. And lets not forget the ferengi.

Quote Originally Posted by CommunismWillWin View Post
    Turns out that tv shows can have political messages, who knew.
    So you admit it's a TV show?

7+ Year Old Account
    They (right) like the Terran Empire version of the trek universe.

Star Trek is fun, I liked watching ToS and TNG as a boy, and sporadically watched the series that came after as I got older, but between its unrealistic portrayal of humans and knowing Gene Roddenberry's ideology, it got harder and harder to take it seriously as I got older. It's just a campy sci-fi show, and as long as it's that, it did the job well enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Coolthulhu View Post
    Don't see many capitalists on here exhibiting much shame for the atrocities carried out by numerous capitalist empires in the age of imperialism. Would you like to apologize for the Vietnam and Pinochet? No? Then stop being a hypocrite.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Stelio Kontos View Post
    Star Trek is fun, I liked watching ToS and TNG as a boy, and sporadically watched the series that came after as I got older, but between its unrealistic portrayal of humans and knowing Gene Roddenberry's ideology, it got harder and harder to take it seriously as I got older. It's just a campy sci-fi show, and as long as it's that, it did the job well enough.
    Have you seen reality recently? It is not very plausible either.

10+ Year Old Account
    Star trek is displaying a world where the federation for a large part has evolved beyond certain political ideologies.

Is this thread an admission from the OP that planets are indeed spherical objects?

Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    Star trek is displaying a world where the federation for a large part has evolved beyond certain political ideologies.

Is this thread an admission from the OP that planets are indeed spherical objects?
    I've heard flat earthers admit that other planets might be round...just not Earth.

https://www.newsweek.com/we-asked-tw...planets-728959
    Davidson says he doesn't have any sense of what planets are made of or what shape they would be. "I wouldn't go so far as to say everything's flat," he said. The sun, moon and planets, "They appear to be spherical, they could be disks," he added. "I don't think it really matters too much," he said. "I just don't believe that we're on a sphere."