Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Upgrading some old components - or do you just build fresh?

Performance is fine, although given the age of the parts i'd be worried they will start to fail. I do have the odd system crash when it locks up but a reboot and we're good to go.

Mainly wanting to future proof.

Current Specs:
    Budget: ~$2500 - $4000 SGD
    Resolution: Not sure what's requested here?
    Games / Settings Desired: Keep up with the modern tech. Future proof for the next 2-3 years. Unsure what a good games baseline is - potentially Cyberpunk 2077?
    Any other intensive software or special things you do (Frequent video encoding, 3D modeling, etc): None
    Parts that can be reused: Existing Computer listed below

All parts are 4yrs old (GPU 2yrs)
    Processor: Intel Core i5 4690K @ 3.50GHz
    Motherboard: Z97 Gaming 5 (MS-7917)
    RAM: DDR3 32GB (4x G.Skill 8gb)
    Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6gb
    HD: 500gb Samsung 850 EVO SSD + 1TB HD
    Monitors: Have an: https://www.newegg.com/global/sg-en/p/N82E16824160226 and a ASUS VX248H 24" Full HD 1920x1080
    Power: Seasonic G series 550w 80Gold
    Last edited by Uurdz; 2020-05-14 at 03:43 AM.

Id keep the monitor (if youre satisfied with 1080p), hard drive and maybe the graphics card, but youll need to upgrade that sooner or later. If you do get a new monitor 1440 or 4k, youll probably want and new g-card too.
    Last edited by Daymanmb; 2020-05-12 at 05:29 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Uurdz View Post
    Resolution: Not sure what's requested here?
    What resolution your monitor is / what you want it to be if you're asking for help with picking one (So your current one is 1080p for instance)

As for your current system.. Just keep it for now if you're satisfied with the performance. Then keep putting a bit of money aside for when it starts actually breaking so you can get something nice, or at least not have to worry about potentially going broke getting a new one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Keep the monitor, hard drive and GPU for the time being; you want to wait with the GPU upgrade until after Nvidia announces new line of GPUs later this year (even if they would suck compared to the latest AMD GPU generation). After that, upgrading to the RTX3060 (or whatever its name will be) or, if better, the AMD line equivalent.
    For the time being, the 1060 will be good enough for 1080 gaming.
    If you would want to upgrade to 1440 or 4k gaming, delay switching your screen until after you upgrade your GPU; 1060 might not be good enough for large number of games at 1440 and definitelly won't be for 4k. Definitelly not for Cyberpunk 2077, judging from the ingame trailer looks (I haven't read the game's requirements and recommended specs, if there are any).

Quote Originally Posted by Eugenik View Post
    Id keep the monitor (if youre satisfied with 1080p), hard drive and maybe the graphics card, but youll need to upgrade that sooner or later. If you do get a new monitor 1440 or 4k, youll probably want and new g-card too.
    Im happy with the 1080p as the main gaming monitor and even if i was looking to move to 1440 or 4k, it kinda makes it pointless having the G-Sync monitor as a side monitor although I could always look to sell the AOC when I upgrade - regardless will need to do so at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    What resolution your monitor is / what you want it to be if you're asking for help with picking one (So your current one is 1080p for instance)

As for your current system.. Just keep it for now if you're satisfied with the performance. Then keep putting a bit of money aside for when it starts actually breaking so you can get something nice, or at least not have to worry about potentially going broke getting a new one.
    Yeah i'd like to know what im going to upgrade to now though as, i'd initially looked at upgrading in 2017/18 but decided not to. A good call at the time but now im probably getting to the point of it being needed especially if i want to play some of the newer more demanding games.

Like if I get a view on what CPU i want, i can then build out the rest relatively easy and then i can just watch prices and if any deals come up grab them.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Serenais View Post
    Keep the monitor, hard drive and GPU for the time being; you want to wait with the GPU upgrade until after Nvidia announces new line of GPUs later this year (even if they would suck compared to the latest AMD GPU generation). After that, upgrading to the RTX3060 (or whatever its name will be) or, if better, the AMD line equivalent.
    For the time being, the 1060 will be good enough for 1080 gaming.
    If you would want to upgrade to 1440 or 4k gaming, delay switching your screen until after you upgrade your GPU; 1060 might not be good enough for large number of games at 1440 and definitelly won't be for 4k. Definitelly not for Cyberpunk 2077, judging from the ingame trailer looks (I haven't read the game's requirements and recommended specs, if there are any).
    Ok thanks for that advice, do you know what time the new GPUs are due to be announced? Noting the potential leak around the RTX 3060 being == 2080 Ti so appreciate thats probably why you'd recommend it? At that time I might as well upgrade my monitor(s) to get the best out of the RTX or whatever I get.

10+ Year Old Account
    Im happy with the 1080p as the main gaming monitor and even if i was looking to move to 1440 or 4k, it kinda makes it pointless having the G-Sync monitor as a side monitor although I could always look to sell the AOC when I upgrade - regardless will need to do so at some point.

Yeah i'd like to know what im going to upgrade to now though as, i'd initially looked at upgrading in 2017/18 but decided not to. A good call at the time but now im probably getting to the point of it being needed especially if i want to play some of the newer more demanding games.

Like if I get a view on what CPU i want, i can then build out the rest relatively easy and then i can just watch prices and if any deals come up grab them.

- - - Updated - - -

Ok thanks for that advice, do you know what time the new GPUs are due to be announced? Noting the potential leak around the RTX 3060 being == 2080 Ti so appreciate thats probably why you'd recommend it? At that time I might as well upgrade my monitor(s) to get the best out of the RTX or whatever I get.
    Right now isn't really a good time to upgrade either since AMD and Intel are both launching new CPUs soon-ish (Intel this month or next, AMD in the next 2 or 3 I believe), and Nvidia are releasing new GPUs as well, with AMDs offerings.. Coming sometime this year too I think.

Though a decent build will probably look something like:
    CPU: AMD R5 4600
    MOBO: Some B550 board with bios flashback
    RAM: Some 3600mhz c18
    GPU: 3060

Though I'd wait for reviews

As for the leaks, I don't trust leaks that the 3060 will be near to the 2080ti. A 3070 will be close or ahead of it though. But for 1080p, neither are really required. You could probably get away with a 1660 super, though I'm expecting to see that drop in price too when the new generation launches

10+ Year Old Account
    Right now, the announcement of new GPUs is expected in September, although 30xx Titan might be announced somewhat sooner.
    I recommended 3060 simply because it will be the cheapest card of the new line, while still being quite powerful in its own right. Considering current prices, even 3070 will likely be overpriced at launch, not to mention the 3080.
    Whether 3060 will be on par with 2080 Ti, I do not know. I have seen expectations saying both yes and no, most of them founded on a leak that might or might not be legitimate. Overall, I would expect 3060 to outperform 2070s, simply because if it didn't, there would be no point in getting it, as around the release, the prices of previous line(s) will drop, and this 3060 could end up being pricier than a card that outperforms it.
    Overall, though, wait for post-launch benchmarks. From what I read (also, keep in mind, this is a rumour), the RDNA 2.0 cards from AMD are going to be quite good, hence seeing how both AMD and Nvidia next generation later this year does is going to be quite important in a choice of GPU.

You can treat the CPU/Motherboard/RAM as one unit. If you want to upgrade one, then upgrade them all. That's probably your weakest link right now. The single core performance is good, but only 4 cores is becoming a drawback.

The 1060 is fine for 1080p for now. The very best card you can get is only about twice as powerful, and for me that's not worth the asking price. I'd wait for the next gen of consoles before upgrading that, so we know what kind of raytracing power is needed to run new games at decent framerates. Otherwise you run the risk of guessing too low and having to upgrade again.

Right now isn't really a good time to upgrade either since AMD and Intel are both launching new CPUs soon-ish (Intel this month or next, AMD in the next 2 or 3 I believe), and Nvidia are releasing new GPUs as well, with AMDs offerings.. Coming sometime this year too I think.

As for the leaks, I don't trust leaks that the 3060 will be near to the 2080ti. A 3070 will be close or ahead of it though. But for 1080p, neither are really required. You could probably get away with a 1660 super, though I'm expecting to see that drop in price too when the new generation launches
    Thanks for the specific recommendations. I'll sit tight then and wait for the drops later this year.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmist View Post
    You can treat the CPU/Motherboard/RAM as one unit. If you want to upgrade one, then upgrade them all. That's probably your weakest link right now. The single core performance is good, but only 4 cores is becoming a drawback.

The 1060 is fine for 1080p for now. The very best card you can get is only about twice as powerful, and for me that's not worth the asking price. I'd wait for the next gen of consoles before upgrading that, so we know what kind of raytracing power is needed to run new games at decent framerates. Otherwise you run the risk of guessing too low and having to upgrade again.
    Yeah understand. Upgrading to a 4k rig seems like a logical future-proof decision to make although unsure if i should be looking at a G-sync 4k monitor as that's going to cost me a lot.

I'll be going on the cautious side of things i.e. buying far better than I need for now although if i go 4k monitor with G-sync my budget probably needs to go up to $4k especially if im going to grab something like Asus ROG Swift PG27UQ.

That said - i've never had a widescreen/curved monitor. Wondering what people think about them - maybe the Alienware AW3418DW?

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for the specific recommendations. I'll sit tight then and wait for the drops later this year.
    Yeah np. Feel free to revive the thread or make another one at that point.

Yeah understand. Upgrading to a 4k rig seems like a logical future-proof decision to make although unsure if i should be looking at a G-sync 4k monitor as that's going to cost me a lot.

I'll be going on the cautious side of things i.e. buying far better than I need for now although if i go 4k monitor with G-sync my budget probably needs to go up to $4k especially if im going to grab something like Asus ROG Swift PG27UQ.

That said - i've never had a widescreen/curved monitor. Wondering what people think about them - maybe the Alienware AW3418DW?
    I really would not recommend 4k. It's about twice as hard to drive as 1440p with no real improvement in visuals (I've had both 4k and 1440p monitors). You'll get much, much more enjoyment from a high refresh rate 1440p monitor. G-sync I also don't notice a difference with (personally), so I wouldn't go out of my way to buy one of those.

As for curved monitors.. It's too personal to say. Some people love them, some hate them, some don't notice the difference. If you have a store nearby that will let you in to try it out, do so. Personally, I haven't tried one, so I can't tell you my experience. That said, at 16:9 resolutions, you don't really have that much of a curve anyway.
    Ultrawide (21:9) again, it's personal. I have tried out one, and I do like it, but there are still some games that either don't work, or don't work properly with the increased horizontal FOV. In the games it works in, I love it, it just feels better. But I'm not sure its worth the extra cost. I don't use one as my daily monitor, for what that's worth.

All of that said.. Monitors are very personal things. What I like is not what you like, and not what someone else likes. I can really only suggest you try out the different options.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmist View Post

Having seen the new cards, did you have a view of future proofing? Guessing the 3080 is a safe bet?

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah np. Feel free to revive the thread or make another one at that point.

I really would not recommend 4k. It's about twice as hard to drive as 1440p with no real improvement in visuals (I've had both 4k and 1440p monitors). You'll get much, much more enjoyment from a high refresh rate 1440p monitor. G-sync I also don't notice a difference with (personally), so I wouldn't go out of my way to buy one of those.

As for curved monitors.. It's too personal to say. Some people love them, some hate them, some don't notice the difference. If you have a store nearby that will let you in to try it out, do so. Personally, I haven't tried one, so I can't tell you my experience. That said, at 16:9 resolutions, you don't really have that much of a curve anyway.
    Ultrawide (21:9) again, it's personal. I have tried out one, and I do like it, but there are still some games that either don't work, or don't work properly with the increased horizontal FOV. In the games it works in, I love it, it just feels better. But I'm not sure its worth the extra cost. I don't use one as my daily monitor, for what that's worth.

All of that said.. Monitors are very personal things. What I like is not what you like, and not what someone else likes. I can really only suggest you try out the different options.
    Im back! Have you changed your mind on recommended CPUs? Thinking i'll probably grab the 3080 and build around that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Having seen the new cards, did you have a view of future proofing? Guessing the 3080 is a safe bet?

- - - Updated - - -

Im back! Have you changed your mind on recommended CPUs? Thinking i'll probably grab the 3080 and build around that.
    The AMD 4000 series haven't been announced yet, so can't say. But the 3600 or 3700x are still decent choices. Or if you want to go all-in on games, the 10600k is a decent alternative if you can spare ~30 minutes to overclock it

But for GPUs, the 3080 is a very good bet.

The AMD 4000 series haven't been announced yet, so can't say. But the 3600 or 3700x are still decent choices. Or if you want to go all-in on games, the 10600k is a decent alternative if you can spare ~30 minutes to overclock it

But for GPUs, the 3080 is a very good bet.
    Thanks - I'll perhaps sit tight and wait for the 4000 series first. Is there a key reason why you pick AMD over Intel chips?

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks - I'll perhaps sit tight and wait for the 4000 series first. Is there a key reason why you pick AMD over Intel chips?
    AMD CPUs are better value, in my mind at least.

You can get most of the gaming performance of a 10900k from a 3600 (About 80-90% in most cases) at less than half the cost. It's also cheaper for more cores going with AMD, which helps with everything else aside from gaming.
    That said, if you truly only care about gaming, Intel is still ahead by 5-10% in pretty much everything, especially if you take overclocking into account. The 10600k is about half the cost of a 10900k, and with some overclocking can roughly match it in most games. It is still more expensive than the 3600 though, especially when you take into account the more expensive motherboard you need, and better cooling.

It's really hard to beat AMD on performance per dollar. In my book of mid range prices, thats the leading factor in my decisions.

15+ Year Old Account
    I rock a 3600 atm and enjoy it, but am waiting for the 4000 benchmarks to decide if I want to upgrade it. Also trying to decide if I want to get a 3000 series gpu or wait to see what amd come out with.

I never buy the top end lines and purchase more along the $/performance.
    Quote Originally Posted by GrinnersGrin View Post
    If Tinkers aren't the next class in WoW I'll shit in my hands and clap then eat my shoe.

Have you had any thoughts on this given the recent Ann?

For the AMD - should I look to grab a Zen 2 at a discount or will the Zen 3 be the better future proofing?
    For the GFX - I'd love to grab a 3080 but im wondering if it will be more of a nice mantle piece than actually being fit for use.

Keep in mind that money is not a serious issue but i'd prefer not to "waste" money that i'm never gone to see benefit from i.e. im not going to get the 5950!

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Zen 3 is a pretty big improvement over 2 if AMD is accurate with the IPC increase they’re claiming. As for the GPU, wait for 3070 reviews and the AMD announcement in another couple weeks. 3080 may well be more than you need to spend.
    Yeah I do value this. My current CPU has lasted been for nearly 5 years which is crazy, may as well go for near-top shelf and then hopefully I don't need to upgrade again for some time!

With the 3070 v. 3080, the same logic might apply. Really just need that $/performance call.

Stood in the Fire
    5+ Year Old Account
    I had my last rig for 8 years and I only upgraded the occasional hard drive and once a graphic card. It would still run all current games, but I couldn't upgrade the graphic further. The CPU wouldn't support that. That rig cost me about 2000 EUR back then. It was alot of money, but if you can afford it, it pays on the long run. usually I expect electronics to last about 4 years until a replacement is neccessary either due to technological progress or wear and tear.

Have you had any thoughts on this given the recent Ann?

For the AMD - should I look to grab a Zen 2 at a discount or will the Zen 3 be the better future proofing?
    Both are bad for future proofing since AMD is moving to a new socket with the next Zen iteration. You will have to swap the motherboard anyway. Between Zen 2 and Zen 3 obviously Zen 3 is better, but it's going to be way more expensive. The performance difference is currently unclear.

For the GFX - I'd love to grab a 3080 but im wondering if it will be more of a nice mantle piece than actually being fit for use.
    3080 is an actual proper usable top Nvidia's offering right now. 3090 is the halo product. Although if you're looking at 1080p 3080 is most likely not worth it.

Keep in mind that money is not a serious issue but i'd prefer not to "waste" money that i'm never gone to see benefit from i.e. im not going to get the 5950!
    If you prefer not wasting money just upgrade more often. Hindsight usually shows that any kind of futureproofing usually leads to overspending on something you dont need, and will never use.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah I do value this. My current CPU has lasted been for nearly 5 years which is crazy, may as well go for near-top shelf and then hopefully I don't need to upgrade again for some time!
    5 years is very average upgrade period for most users. A lot of people swap the GPU in between those though.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B