Poll: Which spec do you personally enjoy more during Wquests, Visions and dungeons?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltysquidoon View Post
    Unholy hasn't been a dot spec since arguably snapshotting was removed in mop and in BFA, it has the same level of dot management as frost and blood (and the same number of dots for that matter).
    Right now the entire spec is about wound management and summoning you ghouls with AotD, apoc and skelliebro (and garg is returning in shadowlands), doesn't get much more necromancer then that.
    Huh, I might give it a whirl, then.

I like playing unholy more. It is like playing a melee affliction warlock with the dots and filler.

I have always been unholy. Nothing beats the feeling I got in Naxx.

25m Anub'Rekhan, lots of people dead, so plenty of scarabs spawned from their corpses. I got my diseases on them. At the time, Unholy had a talent called Wandering Plague, which could cause diseases to do AOE damage. Due to the amount of scarabs with diseases proccing at the same time and a crappy computer, my client simply CTDs from trying to show all the numbers on the screen. Came back to a wipe, but one of the "survivors" told me I had reach some extremely high number on Recount that just wasn't possible under normal circumstances for that time.

I've never been able to reproduce that situation, but it's true still. More targets = more dots = more damage = more fun for me. Unholy forever.

Idk, it seems like Frost is the only spec that requires any kind of resource management and understanding of what you're actually doing. The GCD on cooldowns kinda makes Frost clunky at times, but if you manage to get used to it you are actually rewarded for your skill with pretty good damage.
    And Unholy is kinda... simple, to put it politely. Relying so heavily on your pets just misses the "Knight" part completely for me.

2hander frost for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by Nihilist74 View Post
    I like playing unholy more. It is like playing a melee affliction warlock with the dots and filler.
    Have you played an unholy dk since like mop? We have one dot and it auto spreads.

Quote Originally Posted by Saltysquidoon View Post
    Have you played an unholy dk since like mop? We have one dot and it auto spreads.
    I guess festering wound is not really a dot, just the virulent plague, but you watch them both like a dot. Before that you always had pestilence. I still think its more fun than frost.

Quote Originally Posted by Nihilist74 View Post
    I guess festering wound is not really a dot, just the virulent plague, but you watch them both like a dot. Before that you always had pestilence. I still think its more fun than frost.
    100% with you on unholy is more fun

Just not sure I can get there on 'melee aff lock'. I don't mean to single you out it's just weird it keeps getting mentioned that unholy is a dot class in this thread when it isn't? I would argue since mop it's not been a dot class and since legion, it's 100% a pet class.

I didn't mind breath for the longest time, but by now I'm just over it. Unholy is more fun for me atm, I also hate dual wielding, especially as a class with knight in the name.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

UH hits all the right strides thematically. Hold on, scratch that. All those minions, they make me happy. Reminds me of playing Overlord.

Gameplay-wise, they're entertaining enough. I'm not that big on Festering Wounds because I think the kit is somewhat disjointed in that regard - FW here, dot there, pets there. I'd like them to mesh together a bit better. That being said, it manages to keep my attention and that is all I am asking for.

Quote Originally Posted by Morae View Post
    Right now for me, unholy. Its kind of slow to get things going, but I take that over frost and bos.

Frost is ok, if I ignore optimal meta build and forget about bos. In fact, I'd prefer frost, if bos didn't exist.
    Yep me too. I fucking hate the BoS playstyle.

Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Both. I just find it annoying that frost uses dw, I just don+t like that style.

If you like to play around breath of sindragosa and remorseless winter damage windows and trying to mantain them as long as possible its a challenging spec, with insane single target damage and cleave
    With haste and proper essences/azerite gear its a lot of fun, and not many moments without stuff to do
    Feels completely different from 'pressing the lit button', at least when done properly!
    A 30 second breath is amazing

I tried very much to like Frost and am definately revisiting it in SL, but atm it feels to me like a very unflexable play style (if you want to go for Syndragosa, which is numerically ahead). The CD of Breath just is tooooo long and it is much too easy to get interrupted during Breath.

Take Wrathion. If you just started your Breath rotation and he puts the circle on you, tough luck, try again in 2 Min. Basically every mechanic that removes you from your target for 5 seconds and more will completely ruin the rotation and cost you tons of dps. And if you watch out for possible interruptions too much, you are mire then likely to delay Breath too much and thus loose dps as well. Very frustrating.

Unholy is also dependent on it's CDs for real burst damage, but they are much shorter and not so completely essential that your rotation is build around any of them, and in the case of Apocalypse, DT, Soul Reaver and Army you do not even have to be close to the target after the initial button is pushed. Unholy can even be played at range with a certain damage penalty. It is just so much more versatile.

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zarithras View Post
    Don't judge Unholy based on MDI. Unholy's AoE DPS scales exponentially with the number of targets, making it a great pick for many dungeons in the MDI since they pull massive. In regular M+ on live servers, you won't be pulling this large, so Unholy's damage really isn't that insane. Unholy AoE is still good, of course, but you'll find that they do similar or slightly less AoE DPS to meta specs like Outlaw and Havoc.

To the OP, fun is purely subjective. Objectively, Frost and Unholy have a similar cadence to their rotation - great and engaging burst rotations, but rather boring steady DPS. You'll find that you have empty GCDs with both specs, and personally, I find that boring. I do find Unholy more fun because the rotation requires more finesse, tracking, and planning.
    Unholy can certainly pull enough mobs in visions to get that scaling damage.

Unholy I find a little more fun than Frost. But they are both pretty good.

But there are 2 talents required for either to be fun:

Unholy - Bursting Sores. Tons of AOE damage from pimple popping.
    Frost - Frostscythe. Frost really feels kinda empty to me, but when I can Killing Machine Frostscythe a pack of mobs that's extremely satisfying. I can't play Breath at all, never will take that talent no matter how good it parses for damage.

I vote UH. More buttons, nice burst. Exceptional in M+

Edit:

Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post
    ...I can't play Breath at all, never will take that talent no matter how good it parses for damage.
    Amen.

7+ Year Old Account
    I've tried Frost a couple times over the course of BfA but I keep going back to Unholy. I love, seriously love, unholy when it comes down to it.

Note: Bonus, so much gear seems to come with Magus of the Dead.

Note2: I'm, by far, not an exceptional or note worthy PvPer but I tend to absolutely destroy opponents on my unholy dk.

For the frost side, as many have already said, if you enjoy the BOS talent then yes frost is fun. If you don't like/sick of BOS then you are probably going to have more fun going unholy because your other options are so lack luster compared to BOS and as of now looks BOS or go home seems to be the same come shadowlands …. yeah...

Currently - Frost

All time - Blood DPS