Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account

Shadowlands Archaeology

I'm sure that this hasn't been discussed yet or being talked about in SL general or in the Mega thread so let's discuss.

I can see Revendreth is currently employing a story driven element related to archaeology which in particular, those who are α-testing it now or if not have watched coverages by several YouTubers will definitely recognize and that is no other than "the sinstone".

As for Maldraxxus, I believe bone fragments are pretty much abounding in the place. Or perhaps armor fragments from fallen or defeated Maldraxxi denizens.

For bastion, Kyrian and perhaps broker archaeology?

For Ardenweald I think it will be more diverse since Troll loa, Night Fae and Drust share the same zone.

What do you expect from SL archaeology? Do you want toys, mounts, armors and weapons particular from SL. I think dev't team should invest time in making archaeology an integral part of gameplay in this expac and to further advance storyline.

EDIT: Do you think Brann Bronzebeard will be active in the SL story too? Do you wish he will be involved in someway perhaps a soul trapped in Torghast as well? I think it would be neat if he becomes part of SL storyline and be involved in unsolving the mysteries of afterlife which might be connected to the Titans and with artifacts/archaeology.

According to Britannica.com:
    material remains of past human life and activities. These include human artifacts from the very earliest stone tools to the man-made objects that are buried or thrown away in the present day: everything made by human beings—from simple tools to complex machines, from the earliest houses and temples and tombs to palaces, cathedrals, and pyramids. Archaeological investigations are a principal source of knowledge of prehistoric, ancient, and extinct culture. The word comes from the Greek archaia (“ancient things”) and logos (“theory” or “science”).

Perhaps loremaster should also be a sub specialization of archaeology.

Some concepts and suggestion:
    - Include Brokers in the archaeological find and trade for anima power, gold, or broker related rewards.
    - Covenant tmog exclusive rewards from archaeology.
    - Brann Bronzebeard is a casualty when the veil between SL and ICC was shattered. He's trapped in Torghast! Free him and start archaeology in SL.
    - Available archaeology type: Kyrian, Broker, Night Fae, Troll, Drust, Necrolord, Venthyr,Mawsworn
    - Covenant lore masters
    Last edited by vertigo12; 2020-05-14 at 11:55 AM.

Not going to Lie I thought Archeology was removed after Cata, I didn't do it then and didn't even know it still existed in game.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by schwank05 View Post
    Not going to Lie I thought Archeology was removed after Cata, I didn't do it then and didn't even know it still existed in game.
    There still archaeology in Legion and in BfA but not as extensive as it was in Cata. I think this is the time for Blizz to invest on archaeology for players to enjoy or experience since SL is a new world.

7+ Year Old Account
    For me personally it's an fun thing to do near the end of an expansion to just binge watch something on the other screen while doing that expansions archaeology. Usually doesn't take more than a couple days to complete (bar Legion and the weekly thing).

Quote Originally Posted by vertigo12 View Post
    I'm sure that this hasn't been discussed yet or being talked about in SL general or in the Mega thread so let's discuss.

I can see Revendreth is currently employing one particularly to those who are Alpha testing it now or have watched coverages by several YouTubers and that is through sunstone.

As for Maldraxxus I believe bone fragments are pretty much abounding in the place. Or perhaps armor fragments from fallen Maldraxxus entities.

For bastion, Kyrian and perhaps broker archaeology.

For Ardenweald I think it will be more diverse since Troll LoA, Night Fae and Drust share the same zone.

What do you expect from SL archaeology? Do you want toys, mounts, armors and weapons particular from SL. I think dev't team should invest time in making archaeology an integral part of gameplay in this expac and to further advance storyline.
    As for the profession, I would like them to add like a archaeology quest chain to each zone where through uncovering the fragments you also learn more about the zone's history (not just from item/journal tooltips), add in some Kirin Tor and Tortolan styled minigames to that and it could be fun (maybe even historic cutscenes (not cinematics since they take way more to make) about the zone).

Like a lot of time we will here about something that happened long ago in zone we are questing it but other than a single reference we get no additional info, and archaeology could be used to improve that type of worldbuilding. As for a reward incentive, if the quests must reward something other than lore just add more stuff that is usually given by archaeology (stuff like heirlooms and tmog really make sense here).
    #1 Hype-Thread Shitposter - Overlord of the Hypethread

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Archaeology was quite a big thing in Legion.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    Archaeology was quite a big thing in Legion.
    I think part of it was majorly implemented via the Artifact weapon, so yeah.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shadochi View Post
    For me personally it's an fun thing to do near the end of an expansion to just binge watch something on the other screen while doing that expansions archaeology. Usually doesn't take more than a couple days to complete (bar Legion and the weekly thing).

As for the profession, I would like them to add like a archaeology quest chain to each zone where through uncovering the fragments you also learn more about the zone's history (not just from item/journal tooltips), add in some Kirin Tor and Tortolan styled minigames to that and it could be fun (maybe even historic cutscenes (not cinematics since they take way more to make) about the zone).

Like a lot of time we will here about something that happened long ago in zone we are questing it but other than a single reference we get no additional info, and archaeology could be used to improve that type of worldbuilding. As for a reward incentive, if the quests must reward something other than lore just add more stuff that is usually given by archaeology (stuff like heirlooms and tmog really make sense here).

Maybe they can add covenant type tmog via archaeology and I hope they implement something like that!

- - - Updated - - -

I do hope a historian or lore master exist per zone.

I want them to do like legion with Archeology quests that changes once per week or every other week and give mounts, toys, heirloom items, transmog as a quest reward.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald Hellscream View Post
    I want them to do like legion with Archeology quests that changes once per week or every other week and give mounts, toys, heirloom items, transmog as a quest reward.
    Oh, they do have archaeology weekly implemented in Legion? How about it BfA? I haven't played since WotLK but I'm on constant watch with things being posted online.
    Last edited by vertigo12; 2020-05-13 at 03:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadochi View Post
    For me personally it's an fun thing to do near the end of an expansion to just binge watch something on the other screen while doing that expansions archaeology.
    Yeah, same here. There's not much else to do in-game that interests me now (other than alt-levelling), so archaeology is a good way to chill out for an hour or so and travel around the worlds. I like the little lore nuggets too.

Is archaeology still in the game?

Probably the most bland thing there is in wow.

Could have been so much more instead of "create this item 100 times"
    Last edited by kranur; 2020-05-13 at 03:35 PM.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgeezer View Post
    Yeah, same here. There's not much else to do in-game that interests me now (other than alt-levelling), so archaeology is a good way to chill out for an hour or so and travel around the worlds. I like the little lore nuggets too.
    With the fast paced gameplay going around in WoW now, WoW's shelf life seem to be becoming shorter and shorter as players devour the content at a very fast paced and in the end making things too repetitive like leveling alts thus causing it to become boring so soon.

If only Blizz will look more into archaeology and do something substantial with it, it could be one of their lifesavers.

I certainly preferred Legion's way of handling archaeology over the way BFA handled it, IE didn't do anything interesting with it at all.

Even MoP and WoD were preferable to BFA archaeology as it at least had pristine projects as an optional timewaster.

I actually enjoyed going back to Lorewalker Cho for 8.3 as I got to see all of my Pristine collection in all its glory. WoD kinda screwed the pooch there as it seems way less impressive in the garrison.

I kind of enjoy these kind of rarity based grinds though, so I almost prefer archaeology as it was in Cataclysm, at least after they sped up the acquisition of fragments.

While the rarity of it all might've upset some people, I much prefer the rewards from Cataclysm archaeology to those of latter expansions, with the exception of Legion at least having some interesting rewards.
    Quote Originally Posted by AZSolii View Post
    "yes, let's piss him off because he loves his long hair. Let us twirl our evil mustaches amidst the background music of honky-tonk pianos! GENIUS!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Culexus View Post
    Yes i hate those sneaky account thieves that come to my house and steal my computer in order to steal some wow money! Those bastards! *shakes fist*

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Unlimited Power View Post
    I certainly preferred Legion's way of handling archaeology over the way BFA handled it, IE didn't do anything interesting with it at all.

Even MoP and WoD were preferable to BFA archaeology as it at least had pristine projects as an optional timewaster.

I actually enjoyed going back to Lorewalker Cho for 8.3 as I got to see all of my Pristine collection in all its glory. WoD kinda screwed the pooch there as it seems way less impressive in the garrison.

I kind of enjoy these kind of rarity based grinds though, so I almost prefer archaeology as it was in Cataclysm, at least after they sped up the acquisition of fragments.

While the rarity of it all might've upset some people, I much prefer the rewards from Cataclysm archaeology to those of latter expansions, with the exception of Legion at least having some interesting rewards.

I think legendary weapon such as Val'anyr and Shadowmourne and an equivalent would be a nice end game project tied up with archaeology since we don't have that kind of weapon implemented yet. Or a chain quest similar to acquiring Benediction or how we acquire artifact weapon and hidden skins.
    Last edited by vertigo12; 2020-05-13 at 03:59 PM.

Man, I've gone like 5 years without even thinking about Archaeology until just now.

I really enjoyed archeology in Cata because there were actually some really good equipment rewards and interesting toys/mounts. After that and into Legion it just faded away for me.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    I think part of it was majorly implemented via the Artifact weapon, so yeah.

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe they can add covenant type tmog via archaeology and I hope they implement something like that!

- - - Updated - - -

I do hope a historian or lore master exist per zone.
    No, it had nothing to do with your artifact but the biweekly questlines which awarded gold, mounts, pets, toys etc.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Erous View Post
    I really enjoyed archeology in Cata because there were actually some really good equipment rewards and interesting toys/mounts. After that and into Legion it just faded away for me.
    Odd, since Legion archaeology awarded exactly that; interesting toys and mounts.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

3+ Year Old Account
    I'd like it if they'd reward you with transmog items if you complete some things. Instead of getting something 'pristine', you could complete something and it would turn into an appropriate tmog item for the race of what you completed
    I don't play WoW anymore smh.

Oh, they do have archaeology weekly implemented in Legion? How about it BfA? I haven't played since WotLK but I'm on constant watch with things being posted online.
    Yeah in Legion there was 4 quests per digsite type, so 4 highmountain, 4 Highborne and 4 demonic quests that gives various rewards, like a ghost moose mount, a heirloom polearm, a 5000 gold vendor item, a bunch of toys etc. They rotated once every 2 week, so it would take 24 weeks atleast to get it all.

Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    No, it had nothing to do with your artifact but the biweekly questlines which awarded gold, mounts, pets, toys etc.

- - - Updated - - -

Odd, since Legion archaeology awarded exactly that; interesting toys and mounts.
    You missed the "equipment part of my post. So I guess not exactly

I kinda think archaeology needs a rework or to be removed...

Might help if instead of useless projects you get old removed transmog skins as a reward from it maybe a few of the limited mounts?