Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    So, Florida's method, then? Because we all know, things done by Florida Man have a 100% common sense success rate.
    Never fear, the republican governor of my state apparently felt bad that Florida was catching so much grief for not reporting cases so he decided to take some of the pressure off of them.

nebraska health officials stop reporting meat plant coronavirus cases

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinfoy Lat View Post
    Never fear, the republican governor of my state apparently felt bad that Florida was catching so much grief for not reporting cases so he decided to take some of the pressure off of them.
    That's probably excused with not wanting to cause panic that your food is contaminated. It's still drafting Americans and putting them in harm's way.

Quote Originally Posted by Milchshake View Post
    Really disappointed in the non-votes.
    Especially Sanders. You'd think he'd be all over this.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkTZeratul View Post
    Especially Sanders. You'd think he'd be all over this.
    As disappointed as I am in his non-vote (I'm almost curious to see what the Sanders subs are saying about it), I'm more angry at some of the Democrats that voted for it like Feinstein. Shame on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    As disappointed as I am in his non-vote (I'm almost curious to see what the Sanders subs are saying about it), I'm more angry at some of the Democrats that voted for it like Feinstein. Shame on them.
    I didn't vote for her in 2018, and if she's running for reelection in 2024 I definitely won't be voting for her then, either.

I'm glad this didn't pass, though I suspect that if it did it would have immediately been hit with legal challenges for violating the Fourth Amendment.

10+ Year Old Account
    Presented without further comment.

https://apnews.com/0cd4f7bdfc577e234a2c84fbc0b5e7ee

So, that CDC report issuing guidelines for safely re-opening that was shelved? Yeah, that was apparently the work of a political appointee, Nancy Beck, working in the OMB. No, she's neither a doctor nor does she have a background in virology.

She's now nominated to be the chairwoman and commissioner of the US Consumer Product Safety Commission, which is pretty rich. Why? Well...

Despite her doctorate in environmental health and working as a toxicologist specializing in the risks of chemicals on the human body, she was also a former chemical industry executive. She did work in previous administrations, but her most recent efforts seem focused on deregulating PFAS, which as a reminder are man-made chemicals that do not break down and can accumulate within the human body and environment with very adverse effects.

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/13/c...?smid=tw-share

The United States is on track to produce more electricity this year from renewable power than from coal for the first time on record, new government projections show, a transformation partly driven by the coronavirus pandemic, with profound implications in the fight against climate change.

It is a milestone that seemed all but unthinkable a decade ago, when coal was so dominant that it provided nearly half the nation’s electricity. And it comes despite the Trump administration’s three-year push to try to revive the ailing industry by weakening pollution rules on coal-burning power plants.
    Guess Trump couldn't save coal from...well...economic reality.

10+ Year Old Account
    Putting this in here because it's an effect of Trump's Open the Country stupidity --

Let's throw open the doors to Wisconsin because their Supreme Court just struck down their Governor's Stay-At-Home Order

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/13/polit...der/index.html
    “You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.”― Malcolm X

I watch them fight and die in the name of freedom. They speak of liberty and justice, but for whom? -Ratonhnhaké:ton (Connor Kenway)

https://lawandcrime.com/high-profile...lia-precedent/

Flynn's lawyers are enjoying a good ribbing. Why?

Well, a bunch of former Watergate prosecutors wanted to file "friend of the court" briefs with the judge, and asked to do so on their own schedule. Judge said no about their timing, but didn't forbid them from submitting them under the current schedule.

Flynn's lawyers didn't like that and filed a motion to keep those briefs out entirely, citing an opinion by Scalia in a 1988 SCOTUS case, arguing that it shows that third party briefs like this shouldn't be allowed.

And well...the problem was immediate, because the Scalia opinion and the SCOTUS ruling make no mention of these types of "friend of the court" briefs.

- - - Updated - - -

The. Cruelty. Is. The. Point.

https://time.com/5836504/usda-snap-appeal-rule-change/

Amid a global pandemic that has rattled the United States economy and led to record-breaking job losses, the Trump Administration is continuing to push to restrict access to the nation’s largest food assistance program.

On Tuesday, the U.S. Department of Agriculture quietly issued a notice that it was appealing a judge’s injunction that blocked the cabinet agency from proceeding with cuts to the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), colloquially known as food stamps.

If the USDA wins its appeal, the new requirements would strip 688,000 Americans of their food benefits, according to Department’s own estimates. In March, Congress passed legislation that temporarily paused limits on how long most SNAP recipients could receive benefits without working for the duration of the COVID-19 public health emergency. Thus, if the USDA is victorious in its court challenge, the stricter work requirements would be temporarily delayed until the public health emergency was over—but that may be long before the economy rebounds.
    During a global pandemic, with unemployment skyrocketing and people already lining up at food banks to get help, the Trump administration is still trying to kick more people off of SNAP benefits.

I guess they can multitask, at least if it's to try to hurt poor people even more.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain N View Post
    Putting this in here because it's an effect of Trump's Open the Country stupidity --

Let's throw open the doors to Wisconsin because their Supreme Court just struck down their Governor's Stay-At-Home Order

If I were Governor Evers, I'd hold a press conference and tell the anti-American Wisconsin GOP: "Congratulations, you won. You now own every death to COVID-19 in the state from here on out".
    "If you are ever asking yourself 'Is Trump lying or is he stupid?', the answer is most likely C: All of the Above" - Seth Meyers

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaydin View Post
    If I were Governor Evers, I'd hold a press conference and tell the anti-American Wisconsin GOP: "Congratulations, you won. You now own every death to COVID-19 in the state from here on out".
    The problem is, they won't own it, and noone will hold them responsible for it. Until/unless these people are removed from the government and put in prison, nothing will happen to them no matter what they do.

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-w...bsentee-voters

According to Trump fan and Texas AG Ken Paxton, worrying that you'll catch the coronavirus when going out to vote in November is not a valid reason to request an absentee ballot.

If he prevails, he will be responsible for literally every case of coronavirus that is confirmed to come from election day. Sure, many of those people would have gone out and voted in-person anyways, but without any way of knowing he gets to own all of the illnesses and deaths.

We're now at 85,197 deaths. 1,772 on the 13th (GMT), which seems to be following the pattern established by past weeks by being one of the highest totals, possibly due to corrections (additions) left over from the weekend. Still under 2k, which is encouraging, though I keep reading more and more news items of various cities/states not reporting COVID-19 deaths (plus Fauci himself stating that he thinks it's being underreported), so I'm willing to bet the actual total is probably 86k+.

New cases has gone up above 20k again and total ACTIVE cases is also up, but still under where it was a couple days ago. New cases in Texas has hit a new all-time high of 1,636, so I guess some state leaders who are pushing Trump's "HERP DERP OPEN DER COUNTRY!" message might not find things going their way. That said, new cases (and sometimes daily death totals) is a mixed bag nationwide, with some places in a definite decline (such as New York, finally, and New Jersey) whereas others seem to be increasing (Illinois, Texas).

Obviously certain parts of the country are experiencing flare-ups right now (or are just now getting their first cases due to being rural/isolated), but it SEEMS like the first wave has crested and we're coming down off the back end of it. The end still isn't in sight, because this is still going to drag on and the possibility of a second wave is very strong (if it isn't already happening--some of those flare-ups concern me), but we might get out of this without seeing those "3k dead per day" predictions from a week or two ago.

Of course, anything's possible in this TRUMP SHITSHOW...
    Stay safe, folks.

10+ Year Old Account

According to Trump fan and Texas AG Ken Paxton, worrying that you'll catch the coronavirus when going out to vote in November is not a valid reason to request an absentee ballot.

If he prevails, he will be responsible for literally every case of coronavirus that is confirmed to come from election day. Sure, many of those people would have gone out and voted in-person anyways, but without any way of knowing he gets to own all of the illnesses and deaths.
    Why are Republicans so terrified of people voting?
    "If you are ever asking yourself 'Is Trump lying or is he stupid?', the answer is most likely C: All of the Above" - Seth Meyers

10+ Year Old Account

I don't think the human cost of these things really weighs on the minds of republican politicians very much. If at all. He doesn't want people mail-in voting because he knows, like all republicans, that more people voting means the democrats are more likely to win.

What surprises me is that he, in Texas, is scared of too many people voting democrat in November.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain N View Post

The irony of it all is, those judges struck down the stay-at-home order, while they were working remote. They couldn't even practice what they preached and I am sure they will do whatever they can to stay as far away from this mess as possible - physically and mentally. Cowards.
    Looking for <Good Quotes for Signature>.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by omerome View Post
    The irony of it all is, those judges struck down the stay-at-home order, while they were working remote. They couldn't even practice what they preached and I am sure they will do whatever they can to stay as far away from this mess as possible - physically and mentally. Cowards.
    We have GOP fighting for federal government to step in to void state orders. If nothing else, covid is exposing the only thing that maters...

Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    I assume Florida still aren't reporting things? Just with that alone you're getting underreported figures.
    That's been the case for a couple weeks now. They are still reporting SOME cases/deaths, but I'm convinced it's not all of them, judging by their past numbers. I don't think they're covering up hundreds of deaths a day, but tens is likely.

But that's not the point. It's no longer just Florida is what I'm getting at.

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Presented without further comment.

To be fair, it's likely at least some of that spike is from people who are now staying at home and cleaning more, accidentally ingesting or poisoning themselves with bleach or disinfectant. Some is likely to be Trump morons who believed him but not all of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Waniou View Post
    To be fair, it's likely at least some of that spike is from people who are now staying at home and cleaning more, accidentally ingesting or poisoning themselves with bleach or disinfectant. Some is likely to be Trump morons who believed him but not all of it.
    That’s actually fair... most people don’t know that bleach and ammonia are combined to make mustard gas.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi