Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Blizzard is making any justification for the faction war more and more absurd

You know why I like Warhammer 40k? Because in the grim darkness of the future, there is only war.

No one's is asking "why we fight?".
    No one is "searching for themselves".
    No one is realizing there is a "much greater threat we must all unite against".

We fight cause we love to beat the shit out of each other with ridiculously huge guns.
    We don't search for shit because our faith is in the Holy Emperor and in the Chaos gods.
    We'll kill that greater threat and then get back to killing each other, thank you very much.

And it's fucking a great buttload of fun.

Warcraft?

Varian spares the Horde from being annihilated, at least twice. Jaina does the same, at least twice also.

Anduin saves the leader of the Tauren from certain death, then gives his father's sword to a legendary orcish warrior, whose body he carries his into Orgrimmar alongside its former warchief. This is after helping spearhead a mix of Horde and Alliance warriors into sieging Orgrimmar.

Both Thrall and Saurfang claim that this time they are different, and that they are breaking the cycle. Everyone seems to be pointing to wanting peace and unification.

Expansion #5412341 : THIS TIME, it's back to WARcraft. The Alliance and Horde will be at it like NEVAH B4.

Listen, I grew up on Warcraft 2, I would love for WoW to go back pre-Cataclysm and pretend like none of the subsequent bullshit happened (except maybe Legion, that shit was tight). However at this point, the faction war is just ridiculous to swallow.

wow has some silly writing mumbo jumbo,but the idea of ''war cuz we madmen and its fun lulz'' is equaliy as poor writing

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Jackson View Post
    You know why I like Warhammer 40k? Because in the grim darkness of the future, there is only war.

No one's is asking "why we fight?".

We fight cause we love to beat the shit out of each other with ridiculously huge guns.
    Except the lore in fact explains, in great detail, exactly why we fight, and this is not the reason (unless you play Ork or Khorne Chaos, they just love a good fight).
    Last edited by Schattenlied; 2020-05-14 at 01:47 AM.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

Warharmmer (fantasy and 40k) has multiple advantages over warcraft when it comes to factions wars:

1. The primary purpose of the lore is to provide a set dressing for war so it's written in that way (antagonistic motivation), WoWs is to provide set-dressing for a raid both factions have to have some understandable reason to want the third party threat stopped (synergistic motivation);
    2. The lore is mostly relayed through books which have a lot more space for detail which allows for more political machinations and detailed motivations to be explained. WoW has to use expensive videogame assets and a questing system to explain anything so it has less to play with;
    3. Warcraft has like 12 factions before subsections, wow effectively has two because of its nature as an mmo which puts the breaks on antagonistic motivation;
    4. WoW always takes place "in the present" because it's an mmo, Warhammer's books have the freedom to take place when ever so you can show wars between factions that are now allies that took place in the distant past;
    5. Warhammer's governments are (more realistically) less centralised which allows for localised fighting between otherwise nonhostile factions, WoW has the wholly unrealistic premise that globe-spanning medieval federations can be run via a centralised power;
    6. Warhammer (again being mostly books) can more effectively show the impact the vastness geography (like travel time) and communication time lag can have on hostilities whereas in wow everything is communicated near-instantly (presumably through cheap and common portals) except when for plot purposes it isn't; and;
    7. Wow has to be fair, everyone gets a turn with the microphone. Warhammer can just have a story where the empire gets shit on by the wood elves and you don't have to worry about empire players screeching on reddit for years.
    Last edited by Saltysquidoon; 2020-05-14 at 01:51 AM.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    1. Warhammer 40k is spread out over multiple galaxies so losing some planets is never the end of everything while WOW is focused on one planet.

2. They have been writing towards making the faction warfare a cold war rather then over all hostility. We fight just because we like to fight is something that fits WOW's adventurers like a second skin.

3. As we see in real life breaking the cycle of violence is never easy. There will still be those that want the war to reignite for various reasons, be they personal e.g. Rodgers and Greymane or just business e.g. Galywixx.

Quote Originally Posted by deenman View Post
    wow has some silly writing mumbo jumbo,but the idea of ''war cuz we madmen and its fun lulz'' is equaliy as poor writing
    Hating people because they're different is why 99% of wars start in the first place. It makes perfect sense that an Orc or a Human, wouldn't like one another. Both think their way of life is superior to the other and therefore come to blows because of it. Making a peace treaty is the only thing that doesn't make sense right now given the things we know of the Warcraft universe. Dating back to WC1 through WC2 and WC3. It just doesn't make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by agentsi View Post
    Hating people because they're different is why 99% of wars start in the first place. It makes perfect sense that an Orc or a Human, wouldn't like one another. Both think their way of life is superior to the other and therefore come to blows because of it. Making a peace treaty is the only thing that doesn't make sense right now given the things we know of the Warcraft universe. Dating back to WC1 through WC2 and WC3. It just doesn't make sense.
    exept thats tottaly not why any war has started in recent history,even in ww2,the anti jewish stuff was a tool used to motivate people easier,wars start for resources or power,or simply a sense of self preservation against a future posible treath

5+ Year Old Account
    It literally would not matter if it didn't have gameplay limitations.

If you could play any race and play with anyone I sincerely doubt the state of the faction war would leave bad tastes in the mouth. The problem is that its so shitty on top of also limiting the player.

Its a completely nonsensical lose-lose situation.
    Honorary member of the Baine Fanclub, the only member really.

Quote Originally Posted by deenman View Post
    exept thats tottaly not why any war has started in recent history,even in ww2,the anti jewish stuff was a tool used to motivate people easier,wars start for resources or power,or simply a sense of self preservation against a future posible treath
    It started because they're different, and he hated the jews for that. If they were like him, he wouldn't have done it. You do understand what being different means right?

Quote Originally Posted by agentsi View Post
    It started because they're different, and he hated the jews for that. If they were like him, he wouldn't have done it. You do understand what being different means right?
    dogs are different,he also loved dogs,germany was also the first to have animal protection laws,no,the anti other people thing was simply to rally easy and quick support,you know these things are pretty well documented,ww2 first and foremost has its roots in ww1 and the bitter sentiments of that,germany was in a bad spot,the war was gonna happen no matter who and what justification they used for it to spark

If I wanna spend my freetime in a senseless murder spree with guts and gore splattering around me I play some FPS or Diablo3, but I seldom wanna do that.

So I play a game that has a story I can experience, twists and turns, motivations and characters.

If no one in WH asks why they fight, then all they are all brainless fools with guns, if they all follow that emperor guy without question then they are a cult of brainless fools with guns, if they make war because they love it then they are a cult of brainless bloodthirsty fools with guns.

Sounds very childish and boring too me *shrug*

War is inherently a stupid idea, but war without a reason is the pinacle of stupidity. Only an idiot or a psychopath starts a war because he "loves" it. War eats resources both in the form of soldier lifes and in the form of economical resources. War prevents farmers from growing food on fields and producing animals for meat. Especially on Azeroth, a small planet with limited resources an endless war could never be endless because after 2 years or so both Horde and Alliance would have drained the planet and their own numbers and either make a truce or they would all die.

Then go play Warhammer. Have fun.

Also, WC2 basically had no story.

Quote Originally Posted by Raisei View Post
    If no one in WH asks why they fight, then all they are all brainless fools with guns, if they all follow that emperor guy without question then they are a cult of brainless fools with guns, if they make war because they love it then they are a cult of brainless bloodthirsty fools with guns.

Sounds very childish and boring too me *shrug*
    Yes.

But actually yes, The imperium is partially a send up of mindless authoritarianism/Thatcherism rooted in that same British countercultural spirit as Judge Dredd.

Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    Also, WC2 basically had no story.
    WCII might as well have been war and peace compared to the slop BFA served up

Quote Originally Posted by Saltysquidoon View Post
    Yes.

But actually yes, The imperium is partially a send up of mindless authoritarianism/Thatcherism rooted in that same British countercultural spirit as Judge Dredd.

WCII might as well have been war and peace compared to the slop BFA served up
    You can hate the story BfA presented, but the storytelling was objectively better than WC2. Hence why Blizzard shouldn't regress to those old ass days like OP suggested.

Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    You can hate the story BfA presented, but the storytelling was objectively better than WC2. Hence why Blizzard shouldn't regress to those old ass days like OP suggested.
    "The storytelling tools available in a contemporary multibillion-dollar product backed by one of the largest video game producers are superior to those found in a 25-year-old game made in a year on a shoe-string budget."

I mean I agree, but also what's your point? If anything in WoW on a technical level was worse than WCII blizzard would have far larger problems then the lore.

Quote Originally Posted by Saltysquidoon View Post
    "The storytelling tools available in a contemporary multibillion-dollar product backed by one of the largest video game producers are superior to those found in a 25-year-old game made in a year on a shoe-string budget."

I mean I agree, but also what's your point? If anything in WoW on a technical level was worse than WCII blizzard would have far larger problems then the lore.
    Point is that going back to WC2 story is stupid and complaining that WoW is not Warhammer is equally stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Jackson View Post
    However at this point, the faction war is just ridiculous to swallow.
    It's a game mechanic. Get over it.

You're probably one of those people who complains that there's sound in space in movies/TV, too.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    WoW can have some great self-contained stories (like Suramar, Jaina, Zuldazar), but main plot will be always silly cause WoW never ends. To make it actually good story, they would have to cut useless plots from many WoW expansions and end whole thing on Legion.

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post

You're probably one of those people who complains that there's sound in space in movies/TV, too.
    It is a game mechanic that is actively harming the game. Faction imbalance is destroying Alliance players any chance to do anything PvE or PvP, while Horde has overabundance of every type of player.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post

That does bother me actually xD