Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Ion is reaching out to the wrong demographic with his interviews

The people that have been turned off from WoW are the social people. The extroverts. The casuals that liked to play in groups. Touting Torghast is a tremendous mistake. They need to try to grab people who are stuck indoors during Covid-19. I think some radio commercials, maybe a TV ad or two, to sell the general idea of playing, is the correct approach. Also, I'd have rushed out some social content for people to enjoy during the quarantine. These websites are hardcore gamers are there isn't a lot to new audience to capture from that.

They are making a pretty big mistake here.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    Touting Torghast is a tremendous mistake.
    Why is touting it a bad idea? You do know that it is compatible with 1-5 players right? So there's solo content for those who like that and then your can run it in groups if you are in to that as well.

Also, the rest of your post is about spending money and resources on things that might not return enough profits to be worth it.

The interviews are not advertising to an unsubbed demographic (or at least not a large one) no one who only cares about wow casually cares about dev interviews on dedicated WoW twitch streams months before launch (nor I would wager are they meant to). The interviews are for the WoW nerds to keep the hype simmering on low.

Closer to launch Blizz will launch some nostalgia bait advertising to claw their $60 from the casuals.

Radio commercials and TV ads in 2020?

And I completely disagree. Holding on to current players should be the priority. If new people join in or old players come back, that's a nice bonus, but it should not be the focus a decade and a half into the game.
    Tradushuffle
    <Echoes>
    Laughing Skull-EU

Quote Originally Posted by Saltysquidoon View Post
    The interviews are not advertising to an unsubbed demographic (or at least not a large one) no one who only cares about wow casually cares about dev interviews on dedicated WoW twitch streams months before launch (nor I would wager are they meant to). The interviews are for the WoW nerds to keep the hyper simmering on low.

Closer to launch Blizz will launch some nostalgia bait advertising to claw their $60 from the casuals.
    It is a mistake to wait for launch. The quarantine is in the present. They need to build a campaign to bring back lost players. The time spent on promoting SL should be spent on that. They are making a mistake by not adjusting to current events.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tradu View Post
    In this environment where people are stuck at home, radio and TV ads will be more effective than ever in 2020. This particular year is the year to be doing it. Absolutely.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

I think some radio commercials, maybe a TV ad or two
    Hahaha. Yeah, sure, radio ads for a game that came out in 2004, that'll catch the social "extrovert" demographic. You got it boss.

Who actually even listens to the radio anymore in 2020 other than people who have bought their first car that was built in the late 90's or early 2000's?

Disagree with this take. The core gameplay has not changed much. Torghast allows individuals to jump into the game without already belonging to an existing WoW community. The social aspect of WoW is so warped that it would take a major philosophical shift from "accessibility" to stand out again as a selling point in WoW.

It's 2020, Blizzard needs to be leveraging streaming platforms instead of outdated radio and TV ads. And I actually think they've done a good job at leveraging influencers to get this content out there. For example, Asmongold (like him or not) streamed this to his 30k-50k viewers, who may or may not be subbed to WoW, but at least have some stake in the game.

Honestly the only consistent complaint I have about the interviews Ion has done is there should be some kind of agreement beforehand that "gimme a lore spoiler scoop because I'm special" questions are just off the table, since that degree of common sense seems so uncommon if some recent interviews are anything to go by.

You will not "gotcha" them on lore. They will not spoil things just for you. Don't ask. Please. It's a waste of time! I love me some lore, but this isn't the place for it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tradu View Post

And I completely disagree. Holding on to current players should be the priority. If new people join in or old players come back, that's a nice bonus, but it should not be the focus a decade and a half into the game.
    Or rather don't market to people who don't game.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Quote Originally Posted by Omedon View Post
    Honestly the only consistent complaint I have about the interviews Ion has done is there should be some kind of agreement beforehand that "gimme a lore spoiler scoop because I'm special" questions are just off the table, since that degree of common sense seems so uncommon if some recent interviews are anything to go by.

You will not "gotcha" them on lore. They will not spoil things just for you. Don't ask. Please. It's a waste of time! I love me some lore, but this isn't the place for it.
    The closest thing we've had to a "gotcha" is Sloot almost making a point about the GCD. Of course, if he had pushed it any more than he did, he'd never get an interview with Blizzard staff again, and probably would lose his opportunities in regards to the MDI as well. These interviews are always, always going to be sanitized marketing BS because that's exactly what they are, and the people conducting the interviews have a vested interest in keeping Blizzard on their side.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRevenantHero View Post
    Who actually even listens to the radio anymore in 2020 other than people who have bought their first car that was built in the late 90's or early 2000's?
    To be fair, it could also mean stuff like spotify ads, but still think that that would be pointless.

Quote Originally Posted by Neuroticaine View Post
    To be fair, it could also mean stuff like spotify ads, but still think that that would be pointless.
    Yeah that's pointless too because people either pay to not have ads or they completely tune out the ads.

The people that have been turned off from WoW are the social people. The extroverts. The casuals that liked to play in groups. Touting Torghast is a tremendous mistake. They need to try to grab people who are stuck indoors during Covid-19. I think some radio commercials, maybe a TV ad or two, to sell the general idea of playing, is the correct approach. Also, I'd have rushed out some social content for people to enjoy during the quarantine. These websites are hardcore gamers are there isn't a lot to new audience to capture from that.

They are making a pretty big mistake here.
    why the fuck would he do interviews with people that
    1. dont care about the game anymore
    2. dont even know what the game is

you are making a mistake here dude.
    These are not movie interviews intended to bring people in
    these are interviews that are basdsically just Q&A's, these are not meant to bring new players in, its to keep the current players interested, and maybe get old players back.

also they do have tv ads, tv, youtube, internet. just not radio, cause no fucking games advert on radio
    Last edited by FelPlague; 2020-05-14 at 11:25 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRevenantHero View Post
    I have a 2016 Chevy Impala. I listen to the radio all the time.

I am a school bus driver. The radio is on all the time.

People listen to the radio all the damn time, and the adverts for said broadcasts are expensive and still catering to a very wide demographic, especially since there's at least one radio station for every genre of music.

Try not to be so ignorant when you respond. I can understand questioning the demographic of radio listeners to WoW players, but questioning 'who listens to radio anymore' is woefully dumb.
    Personal Preference and Opinions ≠ Facts, Truth, or Logic

Quote Originally Posted by Nzx View Post
    The closest thing we've had to a "gotcha" is Sloot almost making a point about the GCD. Of course, if he had pushed it any more than he did, he'd never get an interview with Blizzard staff again, and probably would lose his opportunities in regards to the MDI as well. These interviews are always, always going to be sanitized marketing BS because that's exactly what they are, and the people conducting the interviews have a vested interest in keeping Blizzard on their side.
    except him and many others ask him about trouble things all the time, one of the revent interviews literally said we dislike the GCD change, what are you gunna do about it?
    They said they arnt removing the GCD but what they are doing is adding instant effects to coodlowns on the GCD to give them something to feel, like blade furry, it does aoe when you click and THEN makes your next attacks for awhile also do aoe, which is way better then "I pressed a button and it did nothing, but now for the next few attacks they do aoe"

It is a mistake to wait for launch. The quarantine is in the present. They need to build a campaign to bring back lost players. The time spent on promoting SL should be spent on that. They are making a mistake by not adjusting to current events.

- - - Updated - - -

In this environment where people are stuck at home, radio and TV ads will be more effective than ever in 2020. This particular year is the year to be doing it. Absolutely.
    Tell us more about how many games you have released with your company. I am really curious about where your self confidence about you being right is coming from.

Quote Originally Posted by Molvonos View Post
    I have a 2016 Chevy Impala. I listen to the radio all the time.

I am a school bus driver. The radio is on all the time.

People listen to the radio all the damn time, and the adverts for said broadcasts are expensive and still catering to a very wide demographic, especially since there's at least one radio station for every genre of music.

Try not to be so ignorant when you respond. I can understand questioning the demographic of radio listeners to WoW players, but questioning 'who listens to radio anymore' is woefully dumb.
    "I am 1 person, that means everyone must do it!"

Nah, radio is on the fall, we used to have 3 radio stations here, now we have 1.
    and the average person to listen to the radio is not the kinda person to play video games, usually listening to radio in their car, at the beach, at their home sitting in their recliner, these are not the kinda people to play wow, plus video games are a genre that you cant really sell well just by audio, that is why games dont advert on radio, they do so on tv and youtube, radio is for stuff like products, consumed products, not video games.

Ion is the Game Director. He's not responsible for advertising World of Warcraft on TV and radio.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    "I am 1 person, that means everyone must do it!"

Nah, radio is on the fall, we used to have 3 radio stations here, now we have 1.
    and the average person to listen to the radio is not the kinda person to play video games, usually listening to radio in their car, at the beach, at their home sitting in their recliner, these are not the kinda people to play wow, plus video games are a genre that you cant really sell well just by audio, that is why games dont advert on radio, they do so on tv and youtube, radio is for stuff like products, consumed products, not video games.
    I'm going to make an assumption based on how many radio stations you stated you have -- You live in the boonies/rural farm area, don't you?

It has nothing to do with 'I am one person' nonsense you're trying to insist upon, if you have any understanding of how radio stations work. They get their money, most of their money, from advertisements. If they don't get that money, they stop functioning. Like most things.

I live in Phoenix, AZ. Here is a list of FM Radio Stations (which are not propped up by donations and the like, like some AM stations are.

KNAI (88.3) Spanish (known as Radio Campesina)

KLVK (89.1) Contemporary Christian (known as K-Love)

KBAQ (89.5) Classical (known as KBach)

KZAI (89.9) Positive/alternative Christian (known as Air1 Radio)

KFLR (90.3) Inspirational (known as Family Life Radio)

KVIT (90.7) Commercial-free dance, Top 40 and dub-step featuring East Valley Institute of Technology students as radio producers and on-air personalities (known as the Pulse)

KGCB (90.9) Contemporary Christian (known as Arizona Shine)

KJZZ (91.5) NPR news/talk/jazz (known as K-Jazz)

KJZZ (91.7) NPR news/talk/jazz in Fountain Hills (known as K-Jazz)

KTAR (92.3) News/talk

KVIT (92.7) Commercial-free dance, Top 40 and dub-step (known as the Pulse)

KDKB (93.3) Alternative rock

KWSS (93.9) Alternative/independent

KOOL (94.5) Oldies

KVIB (95.1) Hispanic contemporary (known as Solamente Exitos)

KYOT (95.5) Hot adult contemporary (known as the Mountain)

KBSZ (96.1) Comedy (known as the Phoenix Funny Stations, "simulcast" on AM 1260)

KMXP (96.9) Hot adult contemporary (known as Mix 96.9)

KUPD (97.9) Hard rock (known as 98 KUPD)

KKFR (98.3) Urban (known as Power 98.3)

KTAR (98.7) Sports (known as Arizona Sports)

KFNN (99.3) Financial news (known as Money Radio, "simulcast" on AM 1510)

KESZ (99.9) Adult contemporary (known as KEZ)

KSLX (100.7) Classic rock

KNRJ (101.1) Classic hip-hop (known as the Beat)

KZON (101.5) Top 40 (known as Live 101.5)

KNIX (102.5) Country

KSCW (103.1) A low-power station operated by the Sun City West Broadcast Club (known as Sun City West Radio).

KLNZ (103.5) Regional Mexican (known as la Tri-Color)

KEXX (103.9) Hot adult contemporary (known as Hot 97.5/103.9 Trending Radio)

KAJM (104.3) R&B/oldies (known as Mega 104.3 Arizona's Old School)

KZZP (104.7) Pop/contemporary (known as Kiss FM)

KLVA (105.5) Contemporary Christian (known as K-Love)

KHOT (105.9) Regional Mexican (known as la Nueva)

KOMR (106.3) Spanish oldies (known as Recuerdo)

KDVA (106.9) Spanish oldies (known as Jose)

KJZZ (106.9) NPR news/talk/jazz in Globe (known as K-Jazz)

KVVA (107.1) Spanish oldies (known as Jose)

KMLE (107.9) Country (known as Camel Country 108)
    So you're telling me, almost all of these radio stations are 'on their way out'? And not making mad stacks of cash from their advertisements?
    Personal Preference and Opinions ≠ Facts, Truth, or Logic