• Yes

12 46.15%
  • No

11 42.31%
  • I try

0 0%
  • Why bother I have no money

3 11.54%

Do you guys use a spread sheets to track finances?

Many years ago when I was in high school finance they emphasized the usefulness of spread sheets to track personal finances.

I attempted to do it when I was young but didn't really stick w/it as I didn't have much in the way of finances or bills to keep track of.

However, it seems as though the older I have gotten the more rigid I have become w/following my spread sheet
    I am not pro Flight, I am pro a better more engaging game. I just took the pro flight stance cause I knew Blizzard couldn't deliver. Looks like I was right

10+ Year Old Account
    With the plethora apps and programs available i don't see why you should, unless you hate the idea of paying a small monthly fee to automate it all.

YNAB used to be great before it went to a sub model, but there are plenty of others. I don't have a hole in my hand so i don't really need it just yet, my government also has digital platforms where i can look up things like how much pension i already have saved.

Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    With the plethora apps and programs available i don't see why you should, unless you hate the idea of paying a small monthly fee to automate it all.

YNAB used to be great before it went to a sub model, but there are plenty of others. I don't have a hole in my hand so i don't really need it just yet, my government also has digital platforms where i can look up things like how much pension i already have saved.
    Don't see the point of using apps when even a simple spreadsheet does the job far better.

List your incomes
    List your outgoings
    See what you have left over

It literally takes a couple of simple minutes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ah Yes, it's pretty important in terms of budgeting, and accounting especially if you have your own business. I will say even before that, my job I also have to do the same thing when assigning work tasks and shift duties. Otherwise HR doesn't have anything to match up with payroll. I mean they still have redundant ways to find out, but without a paper trail, whether it comes in one form or another it's really not as credible when trying to be accountable for the above.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't, but my finances are pretty simple and I don't overspend.

Google Sheets. Made managing expenses with two flatmates much less of a headache. Nowadays as I live alone I use Sheets mostly to list all my solid monthly expenses (installments, internet, electricity, Netflix etc.) and calculate how much of my net income can be budgeted to things like food and merriment. Goal is to be wealthier by the end of the month than at its start without sacrificing life's little pleasures.

Another thing I use Sheets for is to calculate the hours I put in at work for separate client projects.

A few times I've made a co-order of liquor with my friends. When there's 10+ dudes each ordering different amount of different bottles of liquor the one managing the order (me) would go mad without spreadsheeting the shit out of it.
    Now you see it. Now you don't.

But was where Dalaran?

15+ Year Old Account
    Only with my photography job. I keep a track of how much I'm paid for the events, how much I earn selling photos and when I rent equipment.

I usually do all calculation in advance. On the weekend I write a lift of expense and sum of money I can afford for each bullet point. And during a week, I stick to this list. If I don't have 'party' option but I desperately want to go, then I scarify my other expenses. E.g. if I have 100$ for food during a week ( groceries, snacks, coffee etc.), I will minimize my shopping list to 50$ and visit the party. It depends. Sometimes, I have some extra money during a week, sometimes I'm forced to take some money from my 'piggy bank'. But in general during a month I'm in the budget I've planned.

I use Personal Budget Spreadsheet, usefull to know how much you shoulD have after you have paid everything but mostly,
    When I started to use this, it was for planning to clear a debt with a deadline.

From my circumstances I don't see the point.
    I always know how much money I have.
    Most of the time I can easily follow the rule of "Pay cash or do without."

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    No. It is rather simple to know how much money you have available by looking at your checkbook balance and your savings statements. I follow the old and true rule, " do not let your outgo, exceed your income. " Not had any budgeting issues since I was in my 20's. That was a very long time ago. lol!
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

No. Don't spend more money than you have and you don't have to budget.

10+ Year Old Account
    Spread sheets? Jesus. First I'm not an accountant and second my expenses are not that complicated.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

It's easier to make a basic table in Word/Docs/Writer or whatever you use and go from there. Spread sheets are better suited to math equations or lots of dara that needs to be altered with macros.

I used to. I had all incoming money and all used money put in an excel sheet. I did this for several years and noticed it was unnecessary. Over the entire time there was nothing unexpected. Lost interest keeping it up eventually since i found very little use for it.

Now, I can understand it being useful, if you have more complex money spending that I do.

Yup. I have used spreadsheets to track my finances since I was a little girl

I use a special app for this, but I started to keep my budget first in notepad, then in google sheets.

Quote Originally Posted by Maneo View Post
    Many years ago when I was in high school finance they emphasized the usefulness of spread sheets to track personal finances.

I attempted to do it when I was young but didn't really stick w/it as I didn't have much in the way of finances or bills to keep track of.

However, it seems as though the older I have gotten the more rigid I have become w/following my spread sheet
    Started using a spread sheet to track finances since I moved out on my own at 18. Currently at 36 my monthly budget spread sheet has 25 expense lines and 8 income lines on it and I track everything coming in and going out. The estimate that I base my spending on it is adjusted to be at +$50 after all bills and income is accounted for.

Since I have had one over draft fee in the last 10 years I think it has been worth it.
    The Right isn't universally bad. The Left isn't universally good. The Left isn't universally bad. The Right isn't universally good. Legal doesn't equal moral. Moral doesn't equal legal. Illegal doesn't equal immoral. Immoral doesn't equal illegal.

Have a nice day.

10+ Year Old Account
    I use YNAB 4 on Steam, I don't think it's available any longer though since it moved to some shitty subscription service, but the older version still works fine if you have it.

I've never made or used anything to budget except when I had to for college projects. I just don't have the need to.