Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Shadowlands Covenant Class and Signature Abilities - May 13 Update

Shadowlands Covenant Class and Signature Abilities - May 13 Update
    Blizzard has updated their preview of Covenant Class and Signature Abilities coming in Shadowlands. Note that the blog post was updated ahead of the next Alpha Build, therefore datamining and tooltips may not be 100% accurate.
    Originally Posted by MMO-Champion
    Demon Hunter

Fodder to the Flame (Necrolord) - Commission a duel to the death against a Condemned Demon from the Theater of Pain. Vanquishing your foe releases its demon soul and creates a pool of demon blood. Fighting within the pool increases your attack speed by 20% and reduces the damage that enemies deal to you by 10%. Fleshcraft treats the Condemned Demon as a powerful enemy.

Hunter

Wild Spirits (Night Fae) - Summon a Wild Spirit at the target location that applies Wild Mark to all enemy targets below it for 15 sec. While the Wild Spirit is active, each ability you use against a target affected by the Wild Mark calls forth a spirit beast to strike your target for [ 45% of Attack Power ] Nature damage.

Monk

Faeline Stomp (Night Fae) - Strike the ground fiercely to expose a faeline for 30 sec, dealing [ 60% of Attack Power ] Nature damage and taking an action based on your specialization. Your abilities have a 10% chance of resetting the cooldown of Faeline Stomp while fighting on a faeline.
    • Brewmaster: Ignite enemies along the faeline Breath of Fire.
    • Mistweaver: Heal allies along the faeline Essence Font bolt.
    • Windwalker: Rip Chi and Energy Spheres out of enemies along the faeline.

Fallen Order (Venthyr) - Opens a mirror for 24 seconds summoning reflections of your order’s Fallen Ox, Crane, and Tiger adepts every 1 second for 6 seconds. Adepts associated with your specialization will fight for a longer duration and cast additional abilities.

Paladin

Vanquisher's Hammer (Necrolord) - Throws a hammer at your target dealing [ 80% of Spell Power ] Shadow damage and empowering your next Word of Glory or Templar’s Verdict:
    • Holy: Word of Glory automatically triggers Light of Dawn.
    • Protection: Word of Glory automatically triggers Shield of the Righteous.
    • Retribution: Templar’s Verdict automatically triggers Divine Storm.

Blessing of the Seasons (Night Fae) - Bless your party members with the aspect of one of the seasons, lasting 1 minute or until you advance to the next season. 15 second cooldown.
    • Blessing of Summer - Bless your nearby party members for 60 sec, causing their attacks to have a high chance to deal [ 100% of Spell Power ] Holy damage. Turns to Autumn after use.
    • Blessing of Autumn - Bless your nearby party members for 60 sec, causing their cooldowns to recover 10% faster. Turns to Winter after use.
    • Blessing of Winter - Bless yourself for 60 sec, reducing the movement speed of enemies within 40 yards by 20%, and their attack speed by 10%. Turns to Spring after use.
    • Blessing of Spring - Bless your nearby party members for 60 sec, increasing their healing done and healing received by 10%. Turns to Summer after use.

Priest

Fae Blessings (Night Fae) - Surround yourself with helpful sprites, causing your next 10 spell casts to aid your target depending on your chosen spell.
    • Shadow Mend, Mind Blast, Flash Heal, Heal: Reduces an ally's damage taken by 10% for 15 sec.
    • Power Word: Shield: Invigorates your target with 2% mana or 20% resource.
    • Void Bolt, Prayer of Healing, Power Word: Radiance: Reduces the cooldowns of up to 5 allies’ major abilities by 3 seconds.

Rogue

Sepsis (Night Fae) - Infect the target’s blood, dealing Nature damage over 10 seconds. If the target survives its full duration, they suffer additional damage and you Vanish from sight. Cooldown reduced by 60 seconds if Sepsis does not last its full duration.

Shaman

Fae Transfusion (Night Fae) - Transfer the life force of up to 8 enemies in the targeted area, dealing [ 25% of Spell Power + 25% of Attack Power ] Nature damage every 0.5 sec for 3 sec. Pressing Fae Transfusion again within 20 sec will release 25% of all damage from Fae Transfusion, healing up to 8 allies near yourself.

Warrior

Ancient Aftershock (Night Fae) - Slam the ground with your weapon, releasing a shockwave dealing [ 220% of Attack Power ] Nature damage and stunning up to 5 enemies for 1.5 sec. Enemies struck take [ 42% of Attack Power ] Nature damage every 2 sec for 12 sec and transfer it to you as 6 Rage.

If you would like to see all the Covenant Abilities for every class then click the banner below.

Last edited by chaud; 2020-05-13 at 06:03 PM.

Some of these seem amazing and some not so much.

if aftershock transfer 6 rage from each target it could be pretty powerfull burst for fury.But then again you have to be night fae.

Shadowpriest reducing cooldown of everyone's abilities looks cool but such a simp move.

That demon hunter ability.. I already can see all the confused lore questions popping up, like why a condemned demon is in the shadowlands.

Sepis is looking fine. Having two vanishes is going to be some hot shit.

For the blessing of the seasons for paladins... Does it reset to summer when you start an encounter? Otherwise I guess I would probably cycle through them before the encounter starts to be able to time the healing blessing with the first big damage part of the encounter.

Im really loveing the fae one for elemental!

What the fuck? Now there's an AoE stun for warriors too? Good luck choosing between that and the Venthyr execute in M+ vs Raids. mEanInGfUl choIcEs

So, did i get this right. You start to fight big baddie. Big baddie is so big that you need to press cd's to kill said fucker. Said fucker survive the entire sepsis and you vanish. Boom, mob reset ?
    Last edited by glowpipe; 2020-05-14 at 02:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by glowpipe View Post
    So, did i get this right. You start fight big baddie. Big baddie is big so you need to press cd's to kill said fucker. Said fucker survive the entire sepsis and you vanish. Boom, mob reset ?
    This thing seems really poorly thought out indeed

10+ Year Old Account
    Deciding between Divine Toll and Blessing of the Seasons will be pretty tricky I guess.

So, did i get this right. You start to fight big baddie. Big baddie is so big that you need to press cd's to kill said fucker. Said fucker survive the entire sepsis and you vanish. Boom, mob reset ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ophenia View Post
    In what way is this poorly thought out? If you're soloing, the vanish will save your life against an elite you're unable to kill, or it'll be a punishment for not killing the mob fast enough. In a raid, it's free damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Ophenia View Post
    It's actually really elegantly designed.

If the mob is likely to die quickly (like trash or in M+) the CD refund increases the uptime over multiple mobs because you're not likely to get the full value of the dot on a single mob.

If you're fighting something that survives the dot (a boss or elite) vanishing gives you a chance to take advantage of your moves that or only available (ambush or shadow strike) or get empowered by stealth (garrotte). Rogues already use vanish (2 min CD) as an offensive CD in raids/m+ for this reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Saltysquidoon View Post
    It's actually really elegantly designed.

If the mob is likely to die quickly (like trash or in M+) the CD refund increases the uptime over multiple mobs because you're not likely to get the full value of the dot on a single mob.

If you're fighting something that survives the dot (a boss or elite) vanishing gives you a chance to take advantage of your moves that or only available (ambush or shadow strike) or get empowered by stealth (garrotte). Rogues already use vanish (2 min CD) as an offensive CD in raids/m+ for this reason.
    You don't play a rogue do you ? Go fight a mob alone and vanish to get a empowered garotte, rupture or buff from master assassin, ill wait.
    Or infact, i don't want to. When you are out in the world and fight a elite mob and no one else is there. When you vanish, you drop combat and the mob resets. you CAN'T use vanish as a dps cooldown when soloing. (except very niche cases where server lag is on your side)

This skill is 100% useless for world content due to mobs resetting when you vanish. its not elegantly designed, it might simply be one of the biggest oversights in wow's history if it goes live like this

It will be fine for raids and dungeons. Thats not what im talking about

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nzx View Post
    In what way is this poorly thought out? If you're soloing, the vanish will save your life against an elite you're unable to kill, or it'll be a punishment for not killing the mob fast enough. In a raid, it's free damage.
    if you are soloing you already have a vanish to use to escape since you can't use it as a dps cooldown when alone, This skill having vanish just means its another skill you can't use when alone

if you are soloing you already have a vanish to use to escape since you can't use it as a dps cooldown when alone, This skill having vanish just means its another skill you can't use when alone
    So don't pick it if you want a strong soloing ability? Like... why is this even a concern?

You don't play a rogue do you ? Go fight a mob alone and vanish to get a empowered garotte, rupture or buff from master assassin, ill wait.
    Or infact, i don't want to. When you are out in the world and fight a elite mob and no one else is there. When you vanish, you drop combat and the mob resets. you CAN'T use vanish as a dps cooldown when soloing. (except very niche cases where server lag is on your side)

This skill is 100% useless for world content due to mobs resetting when you vanish. its not elegantly designed, it might simply be one of the biggest oversights in wow's history if it goes live like this

It will be fine for raids and dungeons. Thats not what im talking about
    First of all, it is possible to use vanish as a dps cooldown even while soloing (I admit it's finicky but very possible) the only time that is not true is with stuff that despawns on reset (like special quest mobs or old raid bosses).

Second of all, this is a new string on an alpha build, we've not see it in action yet it might not be a 'vanish' vanish at all it might function like shadow dance.

Finally, If it does just cast vanish.
    Who gives a shit if it's slightly worse then the others for soloing old content or world elites (oh no you have to actually not be half-afk in the open world and press ambush quickly when your WA lights up) if it's amazing for every other possible combat use case in the game? No one legitimately plays wow exclusively (or hell primarily) to solo world elites (although I'm sure someone will try and claim they do) it's literally the least relevant pointless type of combat 'content' in the game.

So don't pick it if you want a strong soloing ability? Like... why is this even a concern?
    so a strong ability, that should be a rather special and important choice and hard to change after, i just have to skip it because its broken in half of the games content ? Sounds legit

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Saltysquidoon View Post
    First of all, it is possible to use vanish as a dps cooldown even while soloing (I admit it's finicky but very possible) the only time that is not true is with stuff that despawns on reset (like special quest mobs or old raid bosses).

Second of all, this is a new string on an alpha build, we've not see it in action yet it might not be a 'vanish' vanish at all it might function like shadow dance.

Finally, If it does just cast vanish.
    Who gives a shit if it's slightly worse then the others for soloing old content or world elites (oh no you have to actually not be half-afk in the open world and press ambush quickly when your WA lights up) if it's amazing for every other possible combat use case in the game? No one legitimately plays wow exclusively (or hell primarily) to solo world elites (although I'm sure someone will try and claim they do) it's literally the least relevant pointless type of combat 'content' in the game.
    I have 4 world ms from the server. If i vanish from any mobs in the game, regardless of expansion. The mob health resets to full and the mob start running back to its original location. It doesn't despawn like a few mobs, but it resets

As i mentioned above. Covens is supposed to a tough choice you have to live with. And if the ability is weak for solo, thats fine. It being completely broken and unusable by design. That is not fine. When doing solo torghast, which many will do. Is it ok that you are one cooldown down becuase its not usuable in solo play and the clutch boss kill where other people need to pop their entire load, you will just not kill because "oh well, i chose the broken dps cooldown, no the weak one, but the unusable one, tough titties, yolo"

And you are right, we don't know exactly how this vanish works yet, and thats why i made my first post asking about it

so a strong ability, that should be a rather special and important choice and hard to change after, i just have to skip it because its broken in half of the games content ? Sounds legit
    Yes, that is apparently Blizzard's design intent with Covenant abilities. You have to pick a Covenant that might be completely useless in some scenarios in order to have one that's good in others. It's awful design, and you should be complaining about the system rather than the specific ability, which would be completely fine if it were reasonably easy to swap to/from based on what you actually wanted to do in the game.

Yes, that is apparently Blizzard's design intent with Covenant abilities. You have to pick a Covenant that might be completely useless in some scenarios in order to have one that's good in others. It's awful design, and you should be complaining about the system rather than the specific ability, which would be completely fine if it were reasonably easy to swap to/from based on what you actually wanted to do in the game.
    the system is what it is. But this is an outlier. The cooldown procing a completely different skill that will make the enemy you are fighting reset and drop combat.