Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by adambtolbert View Post
    Hi Ary, Most computers will resume from hibernate faster than from a full shut downstate, so you’re probably better off hibernating your pc instead of shutting it down. However, some PCs or software may not work properly when resuming from hibernate, in which case you’ll want to shut down your computer instead. It’s also a good idea to shut down or at least restart your PC occasionally. Most Windows users have noticed that Windows needs an occasional reboot.

One more thing if you don’t shut down your pc for a long time it may occur long boot-up time or windows crash it may become a cause of data loss situation. So you should take a backup of your data to avoid this problem. An alternative solution to using third party free data recovery programs like Recuva or stellar data recovery free edition. These utilities are easy to use and recover.
    Oh hello there mister with 1 post, who uses every possible occasion, in various places over the internet, to advertise Recuva and stellar data. I despise this form of marketing, so will make sure to not use those programs
    I have enough of EA ruining great franchises and studios, forcing DRM and Origin on their games, releasing incomplete games only to sell day-1 DLCs or spill dozens of DLCs, and then saying it, and microtransactions, is what players want, stopping players from giving EA games poor reviews, as well as deflecting complaints with cheap PR tricks.

I'm not going to buy any game by EA as long as they continue those practices.

I shut mine off every night. If I put it into Sleep mode it sometimes randomly comes back on for some reason.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by procne View Post
    Had to shut it down yesterday. Windows 10 has this annoying feature, where it automatically downloads updates, and when they're ready, and you put the PC to sleep the bastard will automatically wake it up after a few minutes. So you have to restart it and let it run the updates.

It boggles my mind, why doesn't it just tell me I cannot put it to sleep without running the update? And instead it just lets me put it to sleep, and then it wakes up few minutes later, when I'm in my bed already, waking me up.
    There is suppose to be a way to control that in Windows 10. Go into "Group Policy Editor" and you will see some options on auto updates. You can access Group Policy Editor by typing in run, gpedit.

Do use Windows 10, so I am not positive about using that program in 10, but it was posted on here in another thread on how to control Windows 10 auto updates. I do know when I eventually will be forced to switch to it, as Windows 8.1 will no longer get security updates after early 2024, it is one thing I will certainly check out.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chickat View Post
    I have an SSD but I usually put it in sleep mode. I'm not sure which is best.
    Windows is designed to be shut down from time to time.
    The OP leaves his on all the time because sleep mode isn't the same as shutting down.

Think of shutting the computer down or restarting it as giving it a good dusting or spring cleaning. Keep putting it into sleep and windows starts doing strange things eventually.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by procne View Post
    Had to shut it down yesterday. Windows 10 has this annoying feature, where it automatically downloads updates, and when they're ready, and you put the PC to sleep the bastard will automatically wake it up after a few minutes. So you have to restart it and let it run the updates.

It boggles my mind, why doesn't it just tell me I cannot put it to sleep without running the update? And instead it just lets me put it to sleep, and then it wakes up few minutes later, when I'm in my bed already, waking me up.
    Because some of those updates are critical security updates which you should not be putting off...

Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    Because some of those updates are critical security updates which you should not be putting off...
    You missed the point ^^
    If they are so critical then why doesn't it tell me "can't put PC to sleep, you have to restart", and instead it goes to sleep only to wake up few minutes later?
    The fact that it stays on for the night doesn't make it anymore secure ^^
    Last edited by procne; 2020-05-15 at 01:22 PM.
    I have enough of EA ruining great franchises and studios, forcing DRM and Origin on their games, releasing incomplete games only to sell day-1 DLCs or spill dozens of DLCs, and then saying it, and microtransactions, is what players want, stopping players from giving EA games poor reviews, as well as deflecting complaints with cheap PR tricks.

I'm not going to buy any game by EA as long as they continue those practices.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    There is suppose to be a way to control that in Windows 10. Go into "Group Policy Editor" and you will see some options on auto updates. You can access Group Policy Editor by typing in run, gpedit.

Do use Windows 10, so I am not positive about using that program in 10, but it was posted on here in another thread on how to control Windows 10 auto updates. I do know when I eventually will be forced to switch to it, as Windows 8.1 will no longer get security updates after early 2024, it is one thing I will certainly check out.
    I think Home versions of Windows 10 has the Group Policy Editor disabled so it could be tricky.

Personally, I never really power down my system fully. Mostly I just keep my laptop in sleep mode (I never use hibernate, nothing but issues) when not working on it and reboot usually once a week.

I shut it down whenever I'm done with it. No reason not to whether you have SSD or HDD disks

I turn off my pc every day before going to bed unless I want it to do something over night such as downloading or transfering files. I used to run my old pc as a vmware host and it ran for 8 months. It increased my electrical bill with 20% so when my friends stopped playing on the minecraft server I was hosting I turned it off. i7 gen 1 are not very efficient. :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pregnant Orc View Post
    I think Home versions of Windows 10 has the Group Policy Editor disabled so it could be tricky.
    Lol! Well, that sucks. Wonder what happens if you schedule it at 1.30 am and you shut your machine down before then?
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

10+ Year Old Account
    I shut my comp down anytime im not going to use it for a few hours.

Too long to start up...? With an SSD my PC takes only 7 seconds from cold start to desk top. I always turn it off when not being used.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AryuFate View Post
    The last time I shut off my PC was about a month ago. It takes too long to start it up, so I just let it go into sleep mode instead. Some people swear that you should turn it off, while others say it's best to leave it on. Which boat are you in?
    Yuna goes to sleep when I do. By sleep I mean complete shutdown.
    I do not use fast boot, as it causes issues with my aging soundcard driver.

A boot takes around 30 seconds or so. My PC needs less time to be ready to roll out than I need to fetch a glas of water.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    Yuna goes to sleep when I do. By sleep I mean complete shutdown.
    I do not use fast boot, as it causes issues with my aging soundcard driver.

A boot takes around 30 seconds or so. My PC needs less time to be ready to roll out than I need to fetch a glas of water.
    Lol! You have a name for your computer. That's cool.

Getting off topic some, but I have a old tractor ( 1959 Ford diesel ) I have had for decades and I use it a lot here on the homestead. I call it, Old Blue.

Back on topic, I think it really is good for a computer to be completely shut down and restarted occasionally even if you do not put it to sleep once a day.
    Clears up some memory issues and some programs running in the background which for some reason, never closed completely.
    Last edited by Ghostpanther; 2020-05-22 at 12:52 PM.

About a week ago.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    Lol! You have a name for your computer. That's cool.
    Well I was 15 or so when I first installed Windows on my very first computer and it asked for a computer name. (didn't have a clue about home networks etc back then)
    After staring at the screen in confusion for a few minutes I named her "Yuna" b/c I had a crush on a certain video game character.
    Now, 19 years later, that's still the name of my desktop computer.

I shut down mine usually when Windows needs to update, so maybe once every one to two weeks.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    I just use this feature.

Never. I'm always seeding torrents while sleeping. Gotta keep those ratios up.

I never turn my PC off, they run months just fine. Being on windows I inevitably have to restart it though, but off? Never. No point, and I have had ZERO issues in the 17 years I've owned my own PC.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by CcB View Post
    Electricity bill.
    Negligible to the point of irrelevance. My bill is like $150 a month.
    My Collection
    - Bring back my damn zoom distance/MoP Portals - I read OP minimum, 1st page maximum-make wow alt friendly again -Please post constructively(topkek) -Kill myself