Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    5+ Year Old Account

Lightbulb Tiger Wasps ('murder hornets') hysteria is silly?

The lil fellows don't have an official non-Latin name n tiger wasps is so 2020 (tiger king + it sounds cooler, hey tiger sharks aren't really tigers

Sure they are big, kill everything in insectkind, but they aren't many, ur more likely to die from other stuff, n there's loads of honeybees.

I have seen a tiger wasp kill a praying mantis 3 times its size, that's crazy, apparently people are spreading a stupid video where they abuse the poor wasp by setting it up against a mantis thats double the size of the previous one I mentioned.
    Had wasp been half the mantis size, wasp would have won, its incredibly strong, n ferocious which is why also it deserves to have tiger in its name.

For example I saw a vid in japan when they have civil war due to lack of food, one wasp had 2/3 of its body missing, it was just head, small part of torso n a few legs n that fucker was still in the fight!...

Seems this hysteria has led to people killing bumblebee queens (queens are the first that show up in spring.
    Its shameful of media creating fear when we need pollunators that are responsible for 2/3 of the foods we eats..

Also, they are not that bad, I'm used to wasps where I work, they are missunderstood, people assume they are hostile just for getting near n buzzing around..

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't we actually need bee's and don't wasps generally hunt and kill bee nests?

I believe the main reason they're a problem is because they kill bees (which pollinate fairly effectively). The hype about them being "evil" and monstrous is overblown.

5+ Year Old Account
    But people kill more bees than wasps because of this news...

Also, its impossible to control insects, we either poison them n others causing more damage, or inttoduce some new species to counter which leads to other problems...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    Fuck wasps and hornets . I don't care if they perform some function in nature. If I was offered one of two wishes by a genie, one that would kill Hitler in his tiny baby crib, and one that killed all wasps, it would be bye bye wasps.
    World would be overflowing with insects that wasps keep in check...

10+ Year Old Account
    I'll just leave this here: https://genius.com/William-gibson-ne...r-10-annotated

The wasp section, from Neuromancer.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommys View Post
    I believe the main reason they're a problem is because they kill bees (which pollinate fairly effectively). The hype about them being "evil" and monstrous is overblown.
    Exactly, i mean i wouldn't start annoying one near me for good reason but it's not that i will run away from it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ihavewaffles View Post
    But people kill more bees than wasps because of this news...

Also, its impossible to control insects, we either poison them n others causing more damage, or inttoduce some new species to counter which leads to other problems...
    We control insects through several means, using AI to filter out males/females to sterilize colonies is one of them. Another is to release genetic modified ones that can't give birth.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've never heard "Tiger Wasp" and I had never heard "Murder Hornet" until these stupid articles surfaced. It doesn't need these dumb names, Asian giant hornet is perfectly adequate, its from Asia, its giant, and its a hornet, how does that not work? That is their damn name if you can't be bothered to remember Vespa mandarina, which after these past couple weeks, I am definitely not forgetting.

My entomologist friend has been endlessly fielding questions about them and trying to bring people back to reality. For one article he was photographed holding a couple of preserved specimens from his museum to remind people they're not all that big. We've already got wasps here about the same size with comparably unpleasant stings (Pepsis can have even bigger stingers than Asian giant hornets).

Lately he has been trying to remind people, who's interest has been piqued by media sensationalism, that there are much more concerning invasive species that are not receiving the same coverage since colorful names seem to be the only thing that interests anyone.

The only good that could come of this is a little extra vigilance in the one tiny corner of the country when any of these have ever been spotted that might determine whether there are any more to be eradicated. Of course that minor good will pale in comparison to the misguided idiots that go out and kill harmless and necessary native insects out of their media-borne paranoia.
    /s

10+ Year Old Account
    Release of invasive species that are not native to a region often has a tendency of disrupting local ecosystems.

Just because one is fine in Asia doesn't necessarily mean it is elsewhere.

As far as I know, there has been a problem recently with bee populations declining, which would have a pretty big impact on the ecosystems in which they live. The last thing they need is a powerful invasive predator further reducing their population.
    Last edited by s_bushido; 2020-05-15 at 10:38 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    As far as I know, there has been a problem recently with bee populations declining, which would have a pretty big impact on the ecosystems in which they live. The last thing they need is a powerful invasive predator further reducing their population.
    Much worse for the native bees are the invasive honeybees that compete with them.
    /s

Now that's a big boy.
    Do you hear the voices too?

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    They can wreck havoc on honey bees, so they should be wiped out. Same for fleas, ticks and lice. The common white faced hornet however, do not attack honey bee hives and are beneficial in controlling pests such as house flies.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Ihavewaffles View Post
    World would be overflowing with insects that wasps keep in check...
    Except, as an invasive species, they would kill every insect and not just ones that need to be culled every now and then.

Think this is one getting swarmed and killed by smaller bees? he kills one of their buddies and they all just swarm him.

https://www.reddit.com/r/NatureIsFuc...r_intruder_is/

Quote Originally Posted by ParanoiD84 View Post
    Think this is one getting swarmed and killed by smaller bees? he kills one of their buddies and they all just swarm him.

That's only the Japanese Honey Bee that does that, every one else just sort of attacks them 1v1 like some of the comments says.

Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    That's only the Japanese Honey Bee that does that, every one else just sort of attacks them 1v1 like some of the comments says.
    Ah ok pretty facinating to see them in action.

Quote Originally Posted by ParanoiD84 View Post

That is a pretty cool adaptation of the heater bee function. It's a task some bees switch to during winter to keep the hive warm. Here they're basically swarming the hornet and cooking it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobb View Post
    That is a pretty cool adaptation of the heater bee function. It's a task some bees switch to during winter to keep the hive warm. Here they're basically swarming the hornet and cooking it.
    Yeah it's very cool didnt know they did that before either.

I doubt it will be a real issue, these things have been migrating forever.

Of course it's silly, it's typical Media hype to get clicks. They're not a species we'd want around our European/American bees and bumblebees, but they're no more "murderers" than any other insect species just doing what comes natural.