10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by stevenho View Post
    Most people I know would prefer being locked down for a few months, maybe even a year, to a pedestrian vehicular death or permanent disability.
    Yet they accept the risk and live their lives.

P.S. It is funny to see you repeat the meme of "vaccine in a year".
    your ancedotal evidence doesn't mean anything.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    And here you go again...any good news has you focused and bitching about any imagined bad.
    Stop equating the virus as a death sentence for Frith's sake.
    This post doesn't even make sense.

People make-believing things are better than they are doesn't help. But implying that I'm make-believing things to be worse than they are is just straw-man hyperbole.

I'm fighting misinformation in all its forms.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    People make-believing things are better than they are doesn't help.
    Columbus believed that he could reach India travelling to the West. he tried and he ended finding America. Now, what would have happened if he hadn't believed?
    This is called being optimistic.

But implying that I'm make-believing things to be worse than they are is just straw-man hyperbole.
    A sad fact is that people don't like the true, that is why i often stay quiet.

I'm fighting misinformation in all its forms.
    I think you can count with most people here... But people still need hope.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuor View Post
    Columbus believed that he could reach India travelling to the West. he tried and he ended finding America. Now, what would have happened if he hadn't believed?

there is a difference between hope and FALSE HOPE.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hoping for the best in the face of the uncertain is optimism. Believing that things are better than the facts already prove that they are is just delusion.

Not liking the truth is one thing; that's just being human. But not being able to accept a truth that you don't like is being small-minded.

There's nothing at all wrong with hope. But hope does not require misinformation; in fact, misinformation just makes things worse.

And it's not like this is some doomsday event. Humanity as a whole will be just fine, regardless, but that doesn't mean that we shouldn't do our utmost to save as many lives as is feasible, because that's the moral thing to do.

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    there is a difference between hope and FALSE HOPE.
    100% agree.

Hoping for the best in the face of the uncertain is optimism.
    And you think Columbus did that? He did that in the day's everyone thought Earth was flat, he went against the common sense odd's. Something some people can't do because they just too literal.

Believing that things are better than the facts already prove that they are is just delusion.
    100% agree, except 2 diferent people will normally reach diferent conclusions whille reading the same information. How do you distinguish one from another? Well you normally pick a side.

I agree with other non quoted parts.

This post doesn't even make sense.
    That's you!
    Every bit of positive never makes sense to you.

Good gods...

Quote Originally Posted by Kiri View Post
    As for the vehicular thing, that is certainly true, but we are actively doing our best to minimize deaths from this source. Laws, driver's licenses, safety measures in cars, a whole infrastructure just to minimize the risk of accidents. If that level of care is also put into the prevention of Corona deaths, then most people would probably be fine. Saying 'just lock away the elderly and resume life as normal' does not strike me as such.
    There is a point when it does become "a flu" though. You can only have people wait so many months/years for a vaccine/treatment that does or doesn't work. When that point is reached, covid becomes a flu with different mortality numbers.
    After that - "it is what it is", life goes on.
    Like it always has.

10+ Year Old Account
    There is a point when it does become "a flu" though. You can only have people wait so many months/years for a vaccine/treatment that does or doesn't work. When that point is reached, covid becomes a flu with different mortality numbers.
    Like it always has.
    yeah just ignore those dead bodies piling up in the morgues.

And you think Columbus did that? He did that in the day's everyone thought Earth was flat, he went against the common sense odd's. Something some people can't do because they just too literal.
    They didn't - it was known that the Earth was almost spherical, just that it was believed to be bit larger than Columbus thought so he couldn't reach India with the food supplies he carried. (Their belief was fairly accurate.)

But your main idea is still true - he was 100% wrong - and still succeeded, but with something else than he set out to do.

Precisely.
    Keep in mind that you are free to stay locked in your house for the rest of your life.

10+ Year Old Account
    Those piles of dead bodies behind us, that's in the past. We have larger piles of dead bodies to look forward to.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

10+ Year Old Account
    You do realize hat 99% of the people out there do that with current illnesses, right?
    They do what they can (within reason) to exercise caution / respect the danger and the rest just has to be accepted as a part of life.

We will have to do that with COVID-19 too. In fact, many countries are well on their way to do that right now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Actually, the idea that the world was round went back thousands of years before Columbus.
    If you learned in school that Christopher Columbus sailed from Spain in 1492 and crossed the Atlantic Ocean, disproving a common belief in those days that the Earth was flat, then the lesson was wrong.

Historians say there is no doubt that the educated in Columbus’s day knew quite well that the Earth was not flat but round. In fact, this was known many centuries earlier.

As early as the sixth century B.C., Pythagoras — and later Aristotle and Euclid — wrote about the Earth as a sphere. Ptolemy wrote “Geography” at the height of the Roman Empire, 1,300 years before Columbus sailed, and considered the idea of a round planet as fact.

“Geography” became a standard reference, and Columbus himself owned a copy. For him, the big question was not the shape of the Earth but the size of the ocean he wanted to cross.

During the early Middle Ages, it is true that many Europeans succumbed to rumor and started believing that they lived on a flat Earth.

But Islamic countries knew better and preserved the Greek learning. By the late Middle Ages, Europe had caught up and in some cases surpassed the knowledge of ancient Greece and medieval Islam.
    Furthermore, Columbus was risking the lives of less than a hundred people, all of them willing volunteers, on the chance at riches and glory.

But what we're talking about is misunderstanding the nature of a pandemic and risking not just their life, but others, based on easily-disproved misinformation.

100% agree, except 2 diferent people will normally reach diferent conclusions whille reading the same information. How do you distinguish one from another? Well you normally pick a side.
    You pick a side that doesn't contradict the facts and/or science.

If they're both equally possible, then you hope for the best but plan for the worst.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    That's you!
    Every bit of positive never makes sense to you.

Good gods...
    No... things that aren't true don't make sense to me.

I'd love some positive news to be real. But unlike some, I'm not going to believe something solely based on whether or not I want it to be true.

That's literally the opposite of critical thinking.

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

despite the lockdown measures being loosened in UK we still had a few idiots organising protests... hilariously many of them had nobody turn up. in my area one protest managed only five people and another, in a huge park, had 30. while it's sad that some people would so willingly put themselves and everyone whose path they cross at risk, it's good to see how few of them there are

10+ Year Old Account
    Like it always has.
    Well, this will never "become 'a flu'" because it's not a flu.

If you mean the point at which it blends into the flu season, then sure, that will probably happen eventually, but we're talking years for that to happen. And it doesn't happen until pretty much every person has had it at least once.

Which means that "it is what it is" doesn't even potentially come into play until tens of millions are already dead worldwide.

So yeah, we can definitely hope that there's a vaccine long before then.

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

10+ Year Old Account
    There is a point when it does become "a flu" though.
    Uhm... I think this is the 3rd time I’m saying this to you, specifically. But, if it becomes like the flu, we are all fucked. The flu mutates year to year, with vaccines acting on predictions. The current flu vaccine is 50% effective. If we have this going around every year, in addition to the flu. Expect extreme disruptions, every time both vaccines are predicted wrong. If what you are saying turns out to be true, this will be the last year that massive group events will ever be even discussed. All of the business opening up right now, won’t exist... not replaced by other business... they won’t exist, because they won’t be able to sustain a regular flu and corona season.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    VR investments will skyrocket as virtual concerts/sporting events/any other live event become normalized.
    That's probably a good thing, all things said.

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

Nobody with any sailing knowledge or with any education believed the world was flat during the time of columbus. The reason he was being mocked was because he thought the passage to india was smaller than convention given (He stupidly believed the earth to be the shape of a pear). In every sense to the word Columbus was wrong. Not only that the belief in the size of the earth was extremely accurate since Greek Philosopher Eratosthenes of Cyrene measured it. He was out by less than 600km which when given the actual size of the earth is less than a 2% error.

That was why Columbus was mocked. He was fucking dumb.

Well, this will never "become 'a flu'" because it's not a flu.
    I'm talking about how it will be treated, not what it is called, hence the quotation marks.
    There is zero chance for "seasonal lockdowns until vaccine", because vaccine might never happen like HIV or SARS or can be 30% effective like flu.
    Life goes on, regardless of whether COVID is 0.2% or 0.3% mortality among the working population.