Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Those Other Games did kill WoW

No single game has killed WoW, but the secret is that they all collectively chipped away at it. During WoD, retail WoW had 2 million subs and FF14 had about 500,000. Now you can bet that retail WoW has about 1 mlilion, while FF14 still has 500,000. So WoW is not that far ahead of its competition any longer. The only exception is the spikes in players it gets during expansion release.

There was no "WoW killer" but in hindsight they were all WoW killers when combined.

Quote Originally Posted by AryuFate View Post
    No single game has killed WoW, but the secret is that they all collectively chipped away at it. During WoD, retail WoW had 2 million subs and FF14 had about 500,000. Now you can bet that retail WoW has about 1 mlilion, while FF14 still has 500,000. So WoW is not that far ahead of its competition any longer. The only exception is the spikes in players it gets during expansion release.

There was no "WoW killer" but in hindsight they were all WoW killers when combined.
    lmao there are a lot of shit takes on this forum but this one is impressive. Complete ass-pull sub numbers, comparison to niche games that haven't captured even close to the mainstream attention WoW has, and the best part: a confirmation that, indeed, most people don't actually want to play a game for 15+ years straight and won't randomly decide one day "oh yeah, maybe I should try World of Warcraft now - I know I've been putting it off since 2004, but I really want to join a game where everyone else has almost two decades more experience than me". Well done.

WoW is the only thing that has hurt and will eventually kill WoW. Game became fat. The feast was fine and plentiful. Then some people left that made it great. Others came in that wanted to put their name on the wall along side them and just started re-inviting the wheel over and over again until the wheel started to work less well. Endless systems built on top of more endless systems. Got to the point where you have to join like 3rd party websites to be competitive or get invited to groups because it is next to impossible to determine what is actually going on in the game without them beyond the starting point of each expansion.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I believe the term you are looking for then is "WoW killed itself."
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    I believe the term you are looking for then is "WoW killed itself."
    No, this is not another super-enlightened "only WoW can kill WoW" response.

10+ Year Old Account
    WoW isn't dead yet, so your premise is flawed. It does have a 'Dad bod' nowadays however...

WoW will eventually die of old age - no one is going to kill it.

Quote Originally Posted by Chakah View Post
    WoW isn't dead yet, so your premise is flawed. It does have a 'Dad bod' nowadays however...

WoW will eventually die of old age - no one is going to kill it.
    It is "dead" compared to what the player base expects and Blizzard's standards.

No, this is not another super-enlightened "only WoW can kill WoW" response.
    Instead it's another super-enlightened "time killed WoW" response. What you've posted is literally akin to saying "i had an apple and it sat in the sun for a week and now no one wants to eat it". No shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Nzx View Post
    Instead it's another super-enlightened "time killed WoW" response. What you've posted is literally akin to saying "i had an apple and it sat in the sun for a week and now no one wants to eat it". No shit.
    No, I'm saying other apples surfaced, so a good number of people are now trying the other apples. But why am I giving in to this flawed analogy bullshit?

No, I'm saying other apples surfaced, so a good number of people are now trying the other apples. But why am I giving in to this flawed analogy bullshit?
    Same reason anyone is replying to your atrocious thread that doesn't say anything new and isn't even half as much of an epiphany as you seem to think it is. Are you seriously surprised that in all the years that have passed since 2004, the sub numbers for this game have gone down? You can't legitimately believe that that is strange?

Ehm. You do know that WoW had 5.5M during WoD yeah?

FFXIV has less than 600k right now AND it's including alts.

“Every other game killed WoW.”
    Same post points out random numbers showing WoW still has more subs than other game. Somehow translates to WoW has been killed.

Same reason anyone is replying to your atrocious thread that doesn't say anything new and isn't even half as much of an epiphany as you seem to think it is. Are you seriously surprised that in all the years that have passed since 2004, the sub numbers for this game have gone down? You can't legitimately believe that that is strange?
    Those numbers wouldn't be as low as they are had not so many alternatives popped up. Durr.

I do not know why people keep pushing these kinds of theories. X killed wow. WoW killed wow. What is this all in aid of? What is the purpose of pushing out these theories?

What if you are right?
    What if you are wrong?

I really like to know what you are trying achieve here with these theories. Are you hoping Wow and somehow it will resurrect from its ashes anew?

Quote Originally Posted by Sansnom View Post
    I do not know why people keep pushing these kinds of theories. X killed wow. WoW killed wow. What is this all in aid of? What is the purpose of pushing out these theories?

What if you are right?
    What if you are wrong?

I really like to know what you are trying achieve here with these theories. Are you hoping Wow and somehow it will resurrect from its ashes anew?
    It's fun to talk about the rise and fall of a titan (no pun, intended) and helps to prevent future mistakes.

The competitors only got ahead of WoW when WoW began shoving away it's audience. Naturally, other game developers jumped on the chance to supply the untapped demand that Blizzard was deliberately refusing to supply, which leads into the situation we are in now where dissatisfaction with WoW is at an all time high and WoW players are migrating to FFXIV.

lmao there are a lot of shit takes on this forum but this one is impressive. Complete ass-pull sub numbers, comparison to niche games that haven't captured even close to the mainstream attention WoW has, and the best part: a confirmation that, indeed, most people don't actually want to play a game for 15+ years straight and won't randomly decide one day "oh yeah, maybe I should try World of Warcraft now - I know I've been putting it off since 2004, but I really want to join a game where everyone else has almost two decades more experience than me". Well done.

Seriously - Imagine joining a game from the jump and trying to figure out how to play it, and then you're hit with WoW's systems that have been compounded for 15 years. They've done enough streamlining to get you to 120, so you at least stick it out to there.

Then you're hit with a barrage of quests to go to Silithus and then go to Mechagon, then get some essences? What are essen-SEND THE FLEET TO NAZJATAR, wait, huh? I WANT TO SPEAK TO YOU IN CHAMBER OF HEART YOU NEED CORRUPTION AND TO DEFEAT NZOTH! But wait - who was Azshara then? ESSENCES! AZERITE! CORRUPTION! CLOAK! EPICS! ENCHANTS! WORLD QUESTS! Do I need this garrison rock anymore? What about the garrison? And so on, and so on, and so on.

And then you quit forever.

This game likely hasn't been sustaining any new players for an expansion or two now. Of course the numbers are going to drop as people burn out for the last time.

Its big brain time!

Interesting and spicy take!

My spicy one liner for this thread is:

"Times changed...WoW did not (enough)"

10+ Year Old Account

I sure would like to see the evidence for the numbers you claim. The only thing dead here is your honesty and credibility.

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

10+ Year Old Account

You could have just typed 'complete nonsense' and saved yourself a lot of time and mockery.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.