10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    You do realize hat 99% of the people out there do that with current illnesses, right?
    They do what they can (within reason) to exercise caution / respect the danger and the rest just has to be accepted as a part of life.

We will have to do that with COVID-19 too. In fact, many countries are well on their way to do that right now.
    yep who cares about those dead people they are just a statistic to you then?
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kallisto View Post
    Nobody with any sailing knowledge or with any education believed the world was flat during the time of columbus. The reason he was being mocked was because he thought the passage to india was smaller than convention given (He stupidly believed the earth to be the shape of a pear). In every sense to the word Columbus was wrong. Not only that the belief in the size of the earth was extremely accurate since Greek Philosopher Eratosthenes of Cyrene measured it. He was out by less than 600km which when given the actual size of the earth is less than a 2% error.

That was why Columbus was mocked. He was fucking dumb.
    Yep, he thought the planet was much smaller than everyone else did and thought he could make it to India, when at the time ships of the type he had would not have been able to make it that distance. He got lucky that there was another unknown continent in between. The "everyone thought it was flat" is an urban legend.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    You do realize hat 99% of the people out there do that with current illnesses, right?
    They do what they can (within reason) to exercise caution / respect the danger and the rest just has to be accepted as a part of life.

We will have to do that with COVID-19 too. In fact, many countries are well on their way to do that right now.

What other contagious illness kills ~80k in ~3 months?
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

10+ Year Old Account
    WHO warns of second wave. I forgot, do we listen to WHO today or not?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    VR investments will skyrocket as virtual concerts/sporting events/any other live event become normalized.
    I've seen some dope music sets during this thing and some musicians have really learned how to monetize it without selling out venues.

Not a huge Fortnite fan but the virtual concert they did is a indicator of what virtual gatherings can become.

- - - Updated - - -

Are people willing to go through the necessary precautions to actually go back outside?

Masks? Hand washings? Spacing? Temp checks? Things that work in the East but the West isn't used to airborne pandemics.

This is the third strong coronavirus in last 20 years. We might have to just adapt life to deadly diseases instead it hoping they are just seasonal. That means taking the necessary steps to combat them and saying nonsense like "well old people just die from them". I said this last month and I say it this month, Western society has grown soft, unable to handle actual roadblocks in life. Slowing down for a virus is annual in some parts and people crying after 2 months, governments I'll prepared. Nature doesn't care about your haircuts.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post

- - - Updated - - -

I've seen some dope music sets during this thing and some musicians have really learned how to monetize it without selling out venues.

Not a huge Fortnite fan but the virtual concert they did is a indicator of what virtual gatherings can become.

- - - Updated - - -

Are people willing to go through the necessary precautions to actually go back outside?

Masks? Hand washings? Spacing? Temp checks? Things that work in the East but the West isn't used to airborne pandemics.

This is the third strong coronavirus in last 20 years. We might have to just adapt life to deadly diseases instead it hoping they are just seasonal. That means taking the necessary steps to combat them and saying nonsense like "well old people just die from them". I said this last month and I say it this month, Western society has grown soft, unable to handle actual roadblocks in life. Slowing down for a virus is annual in some parts and people crying after 2 months, governments I'll prepared. Nature doesn't care about your haircuts.
    do you have a link to the warning? not that i don't believe it...
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    do you have a link to the warning? not that i don't believe it...
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/202...ope-winter-uk/

10+ Year Old Account
    why wouldn't the second wave hit the u.s.?

It's a weekday ending in 'y' so countries generally don't - unless they say something that confirms existing biases.

As examples:
    WHO does not recommend Masks in general population (see below).
    WHO does recommend hand washing (or using alcohol-based hand-rub if your hands look clean).
    WHO now calls it 'physical distancing' - not 'social distancing'; and recommends at least 1 m. Countries have slightly different rules.
    WHO says that temps check for travel is not a reliable indicator and should be combined with information, since people may take anti-fever medicine or simply not have a fever at that time. Some of that is also relevant for other temperature checks.

However, there is currently no evidence that wearing a mask (whether medical or other types) by healthy persons in the wider community setting, including universal community masking, can prevent them from infection with respiratory viruses, including COVID-19

The use of masks made of other materials (e.g., cotton fabric), also known as nonmedical masks, in the community setting has not been well evaluated. There is no current evidence to make a recommendation for or against their use in this setting.
    https://www.who.int/publications-det...ncov)-outbreak

10+ Year Old Account
    Because the "I wanna haircut" crowd never allows the first wave to end.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

10+ Year Old Account
    Well the first wave in the US isn't even under control yet due to the policies in place, only in certain areas is it under control. So some places might not see a second wave before the first one has ended.

A second wave during winter assumes that this disease is seasonal and stops during summer.

The common cold and flu (and also the stomach flu) are seasonal - but we don't fully understand why, so we don't know if it will be the same for this disease - and there are some worrying signs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Forogil View Post
    A second wave during winter assumes that this disease is seasonal and stops during summer.

The common cold and flu (and also the stomach flu) are seasonal - but we don't fully understand why, so we don't know if it will be the same for this disease - and there are some worrying signs.
    The cold is a coronavirus, which tend to do bad in hit/humid conditions. Low temperatures also tend to screw with some peoples immune systems. I don't know anything about influenza.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Indara View Post
    What? It's most commonly caused by rhinovirus.
    The 'common cold' because can be a number of viruses, because people are lazy, one of which is a coronavirus. Actually a handful. One reason why novel coronaviruses go undetected at first is because their symptoms look like known common human coronaviruses, which all look like a 'cold' at the initial onset of symptoms.

The cold is a coronavirus, which tend to do bad in hit/humid conditions.
    The common cold is a combination of different viruses, only some are coronaviruses.

Low temperatures also tend to screw with some peoples immune systems. I don't know anything about influenza.
    Being cold is one explanation, another is that people are packed together indoors during winter, others are dry/cold conditions. But there is no general consensus - and we have seen outbreaks of this disease in places with warm humid conditions.

10+ Year Old Account
    yep who cares about those dead people they are just a statistic to you then?
    Yes, they are. People die every day and we continue our lives as if nothing happened.
    I didn't see you make a fuss about your annually 60K flu dead in the years before, so don't act all emotional now.

Once we figure out how to achieve a realistic and sustainable level of safety, coexistence with SARS-CoV-2 will become a reality and people will stop to care.
    Just as they stopped caring about the flu dead.

Right now we're in the process of determining what we need to do and what we can afford not to do in regards to disease control and risk management.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    What other contagious illness kills ~80k in ~3 months?
    None that I know if, hence the "exercise caution / respecting the danger" part.

- - - Updated - - -

A second wave coming is basically common knowledge at this point.
    It's safe to listen in that regard.

Masks? NO. I can't breathe under these things. Asthma & 70% lung capacity are making breathing hard enough as it is, esp in the summer months.
    Hand washings? YES (always did that anyway, b/c people are pigs)
    Spacing? YES (always hated it if people came to close and started breathing in my direction. Yuck.)
    Temp checks? You mean measuring if you have a fever? Pretty easy to know when I have one, no equipment needed.

10+ Year Old Account

Masks? NO. I can't breathe under these things. Asthma & 70% lung capacity are making breathing hard enough as it is, esp in the summer months.
    Hand washings? YES (always did that anyway, b/c people are pigs)
    Spacing? YES (always hated it if people came to close and started breathing in my direction. Yuck.)
    Temp checks? You mean measuring if you have a fever? Pretty easy to know when I have one, no equipment needed.
    I mean if you have asthma and 70% lung capacity you don't want to be rolling the dice with any sort of upper respiratory disease-causing virus. The lockdowns are literally for people in said category.

I have two cloth masks for public use. Both with multiple layers of 'filter' interwoven in them. Wearing them for an hour at a time is easy.

As for self-checking for fevers, most people don't know their average body temperature or how to check it without a thermometer. People often misinterpret the warm or cool sensation when they put the back of their hand to their forehead. Fevers often come with the feeling of being cold, not something people associate with fevers.

- - - Updated - - -

I mean it could not if we are ready for it. But we also should've been ready for the first wave. 4

10+ Year Old Account
    I mean if you have asthma and 70% lung capacity you don't want to be rolling the dice with any sort of upper respiratory disease-causing virus. The lockdowns are literally for people in said category.
    Yep, which is why I haven't been out there a lot for 2 months now.
    Eventually though, life (or rather: work) will force me back out and I will have to take my chances.

Fevers often come with the feeling of being cold, not something people associate with fevers.
    It is very rare that I develop a fever during illnesses.
    If I do, I am in no condition to go anywhere, as I feel half dead.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    Actually, the idea that the world was round went back thousands of years before Columbus.

Furthermore, Columbus was risking the lives of less than a hundred people, all of them willing volunteers, on the chance at riches and glory.
    Now imagine the trouble Columbus must have had explaining Isabella of Castlle that the world was round. All we know is that he first tried to seek the help of king John II of Portugal and he refused to budget his expedition (but we all know that John II had acces to other information).

But what we're talking about is misunderstanding the nature of a pandemic and risking not just their life, but others, based on easily-disproved misinformation.
    That's not what you are doing at all, you actually have alredy dennyed same scientific facts, stuff like the fact that no other coronavirus has ever hited herd imunity, not the original Sars-cov, not Mers-cov and most cold coronaviruses don't hit herd imunity normally. All we know is that sars-cov-2 might just disapear even before a vaccine is made. It's a low chance, but there is some scientifical background for that.

You pick a side that doesn't contradict the facts and/or science.
    Or you actually venture to the unexplored unknow, like Columbus, like JFK with his famous sentence the we would arrive to the moon in 10 years (no had ever managed to hit escape velocity of Earth's orbit before, back then it was mostly assumed to be impossible)

At this time we are researching vaccines, no other vaccine in mankind history taked less then 4 years to be developed, but in any other time before we had so much research for a single vaccine as we have this time. I think we will have a vaccine within the next year, if not severall, but some people here keep saying no, we can't because it has never been done before. How about looking back to Columbus, Bartolomeu Dias, Vasco da Gama or even JFK more recently, they proved the impossible was actually possible.

If they're both equally possible, then you hope for the best but plan for the worst.
    That is exactly what i have been doing, but some people here keep focusing themselves only on the worst scenario...

There is a lot of room for being optimistic and keep hope.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormspark View Post
    Yep, he thought the planet was much smaller than everyone else did and thought he could make it to India, when at the time ships of the type he had would not have been able to make it that distance. He got lucky that there was another unknown continent in between. The "everyone thought it was flat" is an urban legend.
    to be fair he correctly came to the conclusion that there was land close enough to reach, he then jumped to entirely the wrong conclusion of what that land was. it wasn't luck at all

10+ Year Old Account
    More evidences about the use of masks.
    https://www.france24.com/en/20200517...ead-scientists