Quote Originally Posted by Poppincaps View Post
    Not necessarily 14, but related nonetheless. Been trying out FF11 lately. Honestly it's an interesting game. Really brings me back to my days of playing RuneScape in 2003. The Dragoon questline was honestly like super epic at times and kinda sad at others. I was surprised at how much I enjoyed it. Also can we please have Wyvern pets for Dragoons in FFXIV?

I definitely don't think it would be for everyone who plays 14 since it is an old school MMO (I mean shit it predates even WoW), but I think there's a lot to like if you can get past the lack of direction and QoL features. The 18th anniversary is happening right now and the complete edition is like 10 bucks if anyone wants to try it out.

I have absolutely no desire to go back to this game.
    • To do literally ANYTHING - including targeting an enemy or even selecting an ability - you had to navigate through menus within menus within menus within menus.
    • Level 2 rabbits out in the world were so hard you HAD to group up to do anything. Good luck getting invited to a group if you 1. weren't play a job in the current meta, 2. didn't have the right equipment to play your job meta, and 3. if there weren't any groups open for you (ie, no use being a tank if every other group already has one). The dual class system is a fun idea on paper... up until you realize you can only actually play a handful of community accepted job combinations that make up the current meta
    • Spend hours and hours on end fighting your way through maps just to reach your destination.
    • Spend hours and hours grinding the same mobs over and over and over again just to push your EXP bar up by half a percentage point. Oh, and if you die, you lose EXP! And gear has minimum level requirements! So if you delevel and can't equip your job meta gear, good luck getting back into a party again sucker!

It was fun when you didn't know any better but it is 2020 and I have standards now. I'd prefer to spend my time actually having quality fun.

I've heard that they revamped the game to make it more solo friendly, but meh, I'm not going back.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, screw PlayOnline! Never before - and never since - had I had the displeasure of putting with such an abysmal accounting system. If you think FFXIV's mogstation/square enix account system is confusing, you hadn't put up with FFXI's before. Holy shit

- - - Updated - - -

Always loved the mog house theme. So comfy. My favorite arrange of it:

FFXI was definitely a product of the times it was made in. I understand how people can miss the feeling of playing back then and all of that, but XIV is better in every way.

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post

I have absolutely no desire to go back to this game.
    • To do literally ANYTHING - including targeting an enemy or even selecting an ability - you had to navigate through menus within menus within menus within menus.
    [list]Level 2 rabbits out in the world were so hard you HAD to group up to do anything. Good luck getting invited to a group if you
    The group thing isn't an issue anymore as they added AI trusts for you to use in the world. Only really need groups if you're doing larger bosses/NMs.

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    Also, screw PlayOnline! Never before - and never since - had I had the displeasure of putting with such an abysmal accounting system. If you think FFXIV's mogstation/square enix account system is confusing, you hadn't put up with FFXI's before. Holy shit
    This is probably the only thing that's stopping me from trying the game, overall design looks much more appealing to me than FFXIV 2.0+. Maybe Nexon version would be better if it ever happens.
    Quote Originally Posted by anaxie View Post
    Looking for Raid.
    They never found one though

Quote Originally Posted by Justpassing View Post
    So we got past the add phase at Shiva and the cutscene is an underage girl undressed. Classy, SE.
    I gotta say, I'm glad I'm not the only one who was mildly put off by this...

Like okay, I get it, she's covered by spell effects etc. But just the entire scene makes me a little uncomfortable. Maybe I'm just not the target audience but I dunno, that entire thing felt like poor taste and kinda put me off.

I'm usually pretty okay with this stuff because Japan's gonna Japan and I'm really familiar with their different sensibilities by now. This just felt a little uncomfortable to me though, particularly after the rest of the Shadowbringers story seemed to be painting Ryne as a wide-eyed innocent and childish sort of character.

Man.... people are weird. There is no reason to feel embarassed or uncomfortable.

I'm not saying this with 100% confidence, since there are no official sources or quotes, I might even be wrong about it, but FFXIV is actually pretty spot on about such things and the devs and designer actually think this stuff through.

But here is a "normal" take on the whole thing, that isn't tainted by "dirty" thoughts - the duality of it all never even occured to me like that. Yes, there is a snako - devouring a chicko... but there is also the backstory and more importantly, the charactaristics of light, innocence and everything else.

It's easy to just look at it and say "naked girl, lel" - but isn't it kinda hard to ignore everything else..?
    I guess if you really don't care about anything, you are only seeing the "naked girl getting snaked - pepega".

Ryne is naked:

Nudity has a lot of meanings, both positive and negative.
    It is also a symbol for infantility, simplicity, absoute beauty, sincerity and most importantly innocence. In my opinion, it's far easier to see these traits than it is to see anything erotic for this fight.

Ryne gets embraced by a snake/dragon:

Shiva asked Hraesvelgr to devour her, so her love could be eternal and not wither away as she would certainly do due to her being an Elezen and him being a dragon.
    Her soul would be entwined with his for eternity. Shiva reunited is basically portraying that part of the lore.

Not only that, but she gets to look like an angel-like being. The attacks are also holy themed, such as "Hallowed Wing".
    So only in Savage you get to see what the character Shiva "is all about".... Shiva (primal), Hydaelyn (Echo) and Shiva (as Hraesvelgr's mate).
    All that in a single fight, while also showing us the characteristics of Ryne, who is the vessel.

I mean, fuck it - when I'm looking at antique art, I'm not thinking about sex either, and by all means, this whole thing wasn't portrayed as a mere ecchi-hentai-baka anime moment.
    Last edited by KrayZ33; 2020-05-18 at 08:03 PM.

10+ Year Old Account

Yall being weird bout something like that ^ its an typical looking angelic body with some dragons mixed in, very cut and dry go look at all the old art of angels and shit and they're way worse.

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Your kind will never change, and I will never stop fighting you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Irian View Post
    particularly after the rest of the Shadowbringers story seemed to be painting Ryne as a wide-eyed innocent and childish sort of character.
    That's how the story portrayed her only at the beginning. Ryne is a child who was being forced to mature way too fast and suffered a lot because of it, from being caged for her won safety to having to sacrifice another person's soul to maintain her autonomy the things she's gone through are pretty fucked up and she was barely keeping it together. The Eden questline also drives that point home, she needs to have a childhood, to make friends and live a carefree life for a while, something her dads are hoping she can do now with Gaia.

The rest has already been explained two posts above. If she was being dressed up for amusement and no other reason I would understand the complaints but given the context of what's going on I'm seeing a young girl being overwhelmed not just by the Aether she was trying to control or by her duty as the Oracle of Light but also by the memories and emotions the WoL remembers of Ysayle and Shiva, emotions that are far beyond her body and mind are prepared for.

I saw it as something tragic, so what's actually weird to me is how many saw it and just got naughty thoughts instead.
    "I have the most loyal fanboys. Did you ever see that? Where I could stand by Thoradin's Wall and massacre my own people and I wouldn't lose any fanboys. It's like incredible." - Sylvanas Windrunner

"If you kill your enemies, they win." - Anduin Wrynn

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly: I agree that it was dumb to involve Ryne in that way. It was just such a senseless act of putting her in harms way.
    The WoL disagreed, the Scions disagreed, yet they did it anyway just so Yoshi-P could "lewd her fist".

I mean why? We certainly were able to imagine all the other primals on our own.

That being said: I loved the depiction of affection between Dragon and Woman.
    We could have achieved that with the old Shiva model and the WoL's imagination (imagine Spongebob rainbow here).

Quote Originally Posted by Advent View Post
    I wish I could give raiding a go, but I just can't do it without weakauras. It's too useful and I hate staring at my icons and action bars all the time.
    The lack of well functioning mouse over macros is huge negative for me. Especially for jobs where they want you to cast abilities on your allies, not only healers, but Tanks with Shirk, Dragoons with their eyes etc.

I know I've said this a lot, but the FF14 UI is totally awful. It's far too rigid and inflexible for practical usage. It doesn't let you disable information you don't need, but at the same time doesn't allow you to display information that is potentially useful.

But where I think they really lost me with it was with Job Gauges. They could have been as simple as a combo point counter on my characters name plate. Or a simple bar. Instead they're bloated and over designed to the point that they eat up far too much UI real estate for what information they provide.

Sure, the UI looks smooth and stylish. But I'd argue that it's a complete and utter failure at being a UI. A UI is designed to display information in a usable fashion. The FF14 one only manages that some of the time, and is obstrutive with it the other half to the point it feels like I'm fighting the UI more than the content.

But the worst part of all of that is that it's so hard convincing people there's a problem. People who have never known how much better and more functional a UI you can mod would be. I've had a long holliday from the official forums for, respectfully, bringing up the issues and shortfalls with the default UI. I've had a similarly long break from the sub reddit for similar reasons. For whatever reason people just have it in their head that the default UI is perfect in every single way and won't listen to a word against it.

I did, at one point, consider just ignoring the ToS and modding it anyway. But the risk never really seemed worth it, so I just rage quit the game for a month or so instead.

What information do you need that you can't display, or what information do you want gone but can't remove?
    And why is it a problem for you to shirk aggro to the other tank etc. (why not use a macro)?

Explain how the UI stops you from doing that, maybe we can help?

For example, whats the problem with the job gauge.
    I can reduce the size of that thing to whatever I want as SAM for example and reduce it to symbols that are hardly different to combo points in WoW.
    Same thing for Dragoon. Don't know much about other classes.
    Last edited by KrayZ33; 2020-05-18 at 09:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    Honestly: I agree that it was dumb to involve Ryne in that way. It was just such a senseless act of putting her in harms way.
    The WoL disagreed, the Scions disagreed, yet they did it anyway just so Yoshi-P could "lewd her fist".

We could have achieved that with the old Shiva model and the WoL's imagination (imagine Spongebob rainbow here).
    This is kinda my point, yeah. It's not so much that it happened and more that they felt the need to use Ryne when the story didn't necessarily need it to be her.

It's the fact that they contrived this set of story events specifically for this fight, a set of story events that already seemed kind of silly from my perspective anyway. It wasn't explicitly sexual by any means, but the fact that they went out of their way to make the only underaged MC have boss mechanics and phase transitions that involve nudity feels kind of uncomfortable.

Nudity isn't by default sexual but this is also the literal only time there's been any semblance of nudity in a FFXIV raid boss, and it had to be the one and only time we're fighting someone who looks like a child. Yeah, I'm not really a big fan.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakhath View Post
    FFXI was definitely a product of the times it was made in. I understand how people can miss the feeling of playing back then and all of that, but XIV is better in every way.
    While I would agree for the most part and I'm mainly only playing FF11 because I've done most of the stuff I wanted to do in 14, I will say the World of FFXIV doesn't even compare to FFXI. In 14 all you do is port around or do instanced content. The world feels like set dressing rather than a living, breathing place. They do a better job of making the world feel vast in FFXI. It was probably my biggest complaint about 14 coming from WoW, but the story and trials/raids made it easy to ignore. But yeah if you don't have any kind of nostalgia for old school MMOs I don't think you'd like 11. There's barely any direction given to the player and there are so many systems that it's frequently confusing.

I will say @Val the Moofia Boss, you can solo most of the game now with the trust system. The combat is like dizzyingly complex though and none of it is explained to you. I didn't even know things like Skillchains existed until I looked at some youtube videos. I'm having fun though. Leveling is pretty fast when you actually go out and grind mobs and the story has some decent moments. I'm just in the base game though and I've heard the expansions get better.

- - - Updated - - -

Unlike the other primals, Shiva was the only one that required (at least from what we saw with Iceheart/Ysayle) a woman to possess. I feel pretty neutral about the whole thing, but there was at least a lore reason for why they needed someone to be possessed by her (although it didn't necessarily need to be Ryne).

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm really confused. There are mouse over macros, you can literally hide/scale/move every single element of the UI, and the job gauges do have compact versions that do just what you are asking. I personally use a minimalist UI where I keep everything hidden except for job gauge and cast bars for casual play and a macro to change to another set up that turns on cooldown trackers and whatever that bar is called that some boss mechanics use. You can make this UI do anything you want it to.

Here's a list of all /commands in the game, you can find it in game as well. https://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodes.../text_command/
    Here's a thread to help you with mouseover macros. https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comme...seover_macros/
    Here's what simplified job gauges are and how to turn them on. https://ffxiv.consolegameswiki.com/wiki/Job_Gauge
    And here's a thread about turning off UI elements. https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comme...f_ui_elements/

Combine that with UI presets and the ability to move every UI element and you can make the UI anything you want it to be. What are you trying to accomplish specifically?
    "I have the most loyal fanboys. Did you ever see that? Where I could stand by Thoradin's Wall and massacre my own people and I wouldn't lose any fanboys. It's like incredible." - Sylvanas Windrunner

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by StrawberryZebra View Post
    I know I've said this a lot, but the FF14 UI is totally awful. It's far too rigid and inflexible for practical usage. It doesn't let you disable information you don't need, but at the same time doesn't allow you to display information that is potentially useful.
    I wouldn't go that far.
    You can hide stuff you don't need, you can create all sorts of macros (e.g. tanks use shirk macros with the other thanks name in it, so they don't have to switch targets), you can even combine actions in macros (insta cast+ rez). I've never gotten the hype for mouse over macros in WoW. Tried them but found them very awkward to work with.

Only thing missing is power auras and the ability to display my own DoTs as a bar timer, independent from the rest of a mobs debuffs.

- - - Updated - - -

and it had to be the one and only time we're fighting someone who looks like a child. Yeah, I'm not really a big fan.
    To be frank: Ryne doesn't strike me as a child at all.
    Yeah sure she is younger than our western convention of: "you are now 18, you have now flipped the switch and can do everything you couldn't do yesterday, can judge the consequences of every action you couldn't judge yesterday".... yeah, right.

Apart from that, she already displays secondary sexual characteristics, and is mentally far ahead of her physical age. She lives in a world full of violence, danger and tragedy, kills people and creatures on a daily basis... no matter how you want to slice it: she is NOT a child. You cannot compare her to our RL children or even our teenagers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nudity isn't by default sexual but this is also the literal only time there's been any semblance of nudity in a FFXIV raid boss, and it had to be the one and only time we're fighting someone who looks like a child. Yeah, I'm not really a big fan.
    we had a expac of this kinda design monster the whole time basically.

so no the new shiva isn't some new thing in terms of design for just this expac alone not even counting the others.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

To be frank: Ryne doesn't strike me as a child at all.
    Yeah sure she is younger than our western convention of: "you are now 18, you have now flipped the switch and can do everything you couldn't do yesterday, can judge the consequences of every action you couldn't judge yesterday".... yeah, right.

Apart from that, she already displays secondary sexual characteristics, and is mentally far ahead of her physical age. She lives in a world full of violence, danger and tragedy, kills people and creatures on a daily basis... no matter how you want to slice it: she is NOT a child. You cannot compare her to our RL children or even our teenagers.
    Shes the same age as the twins for reference anybody wondering.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyral View Post
    I'm really confused. There are mouse over macros, you can literally hide/scale/move every single element of the UI, and the job gauges do have compact versions that do just what you are asking. I personally use a minimalist UI where I keep everything hidden except for job gauge and cast bars for casual play and a macro to change to another set up that turns on cooldown trackers and whatever that bar is called that some boss mechanics use. You can make this UI do anything you want it to.

Here's a list of all /commands in the game, you can find it in game as well. https://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodes.../text_command/
    Here's a thread to help you with mouseover macros. https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comme...seover_macros/
    Here's what simplified job gauges are and how to turn them on. https://ffxiv.consolegameswiki.com/wiki/Job_Gauge
    And here's a thread about turning off UI elements. https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comme...f_ui_elements/

Combine that with UI presets and the ability to move every UI element and you can make the UI anything you want it to be. What are you trying to accomplish specifically?
    macros fuck with ability queueing, which makes ogcds kinda difficult to weave

Quote Originally Posted by Hyral View Post
    What are you trying to accomplish specifically?
    Well, I consider this to be free reign to give you the whole list. So here are the relevant combat changes I'd like to make;
    • Split the party frames up into a 2x4 configuration, so they're displayed horizontally with tanks/healers on the top row and DPS on the bottom.
    • Hide the cast bar on the party frames
    • Hide MP bars for all none-healer party members
    • Remove class Icons from the party frames. Colour code the name by role instead.
    • Colour code allied name plates by Job role.
    • Split up the HP/MP parameter bar into two bars. Hide the MP one for jobs that don't use it.
    • Attach the HP and MP bar to my characters name plate.
    • Strip the Job Gauge down to just being a bar and/or combo point counter that's attached to my character name plate.
    • An option for a seperate buff bar, which I could use just to show important timers. Maim, Defensive CD durations etc. Which again is attached to the character name plate
    • The enemy list to be split up into a 2x4 configuration.
    • The Alliance frames to only show people with a debuff and who are dead
    • The limit bar to be rotated to be vertical, and split into a 1x3 configuration
    • Buff/Debuff count downs to show a visual indication of their duration, by slowly darkening in a circular pattern as the get closer to expiring instead of the countdown number they have
    • Show my own debuffs as a countdown bar independent of my target. So I wouldn't need to be targeting a boss to see a DoT duration etc
    • Remove that strange little half moon symbol on the XP bar
    • Have the XP bar count down how much XP is left to level, instead of counting upwards how much I have

Don't get me started on the UI out of combat - I don't have all day to rattle off the laundry list, and I'm sure most people don't have the time to read them all. But you, hopefully, get the point. I want to change how things are displayed. I want to add lots of information about myself to the space immediately surrounding my character, adjust the configuration of UI bars, and colour code things to make them easier to pick out.

I wouldn't go that far.
    You can hide stuff you don't need, you can create all sorts of macros (e.g. tanks use shirk macros with the other thanks name in it, so they don't have to switch targets), you can even combine actions in macros (insta cast+ rez). I've never gotten the hype for mouse over macros in WoW. Tried them but found them very awkward to work with.
    I got used to them in WoW. I played a Paladin, and often found myself needing to use Blessing of Protection or Lay on Hands on a DPS right now! Taking the time to click on them then press the button often took too long in early WoW where there was a built in delay on most skills.

For Shirk, it would work with any tank without needing to put their name in to it. It would also let me be a complete dick and shirk onto DPS for the fun of it. More broadly, and less maliciously, I was hoping to use Mouseover macros for things like Resses, Spot heals, Esuna as a healer, along with various other skills that DPS have that need a friendly target.

Having to click your target, press the button, then click back onto your original target always seemed like a very clunky way to go about it to me. Especially for melee, where it would mean you're losing out by not auto attacking. Mouseover macros have been my go-to solution for that for years now. They do kind of work in FF14, but they've also got a lot of huge drawbacks associated too.

You can't, for instance, make a macro that casts on your mouseover target if you have one, your current target if you have no mouseover target, or yourself if neither of the other are true. In WoW, Rift etc that macro takes less than 1 complete line of text - Including the command to show the ability icon.

Quote Originally Posted by Nasuuna View Post
    macros fuck with ability queueing, which makes ogcds kinda difficult to weave
    They do indeed. It's worse when you're trying to macro an oGCD, you can get some really strange behaviour. Probably the worst of which I noticed with oGCD placable AoE skills - Think Salted Earth or Asylum - when I had a macro to cast them immediately at the mouse location. Quite often they would end up not triggering at all, and leave me stuck with the target reticule on my mouse cursor until I logged off.

Macros in general don't function well in FF14. No matter how well written they are.

Quote Originally Posted by StrawberryZebra View Post
    Well, I consider this to be free reign to give you the whole list. So here are the relevant combat changes I'd like to make;
    • Split the party frames up into a 2x4 configuration, so they're displayed horizontally with tanks/healers on the top row and DPS on the bottom.
    • Hide the cast bar on the party frames
    • Hide MP bars for all none-healer party members
    • Remove class Icons from the party frames. Colour code the name by role instead.
    • Colour code allied name plates by Job role.
    • Split up the HP/MP parameter bar into two bars. Hide the MP one for jobs that don't use it.
    • Attach the HP and MP bar to my characters name plate.
    • Strip the Job Gauge down to just being a bar and/or combo point counter that's attached to my character name plate.
    • An option for a seperate buff bar, which I could use just to show important timers. Maim, Defensive CD durations etc. Which again is attached to the character name plate
    • The enemy list to be split up into a 2x4 configuration.
    • The Alliance frames to only show people with a debuff and who are dead
    • The limit bar to be rotated to be vertical, and split into a 1x3 configuration
    • Buff/Debuff count downs to show a visual indication of their duration, by slowly darkening in a circular pattern as the get closer to expiring instead of the countdown number they have
    • Show my own debuffs as a countdown bar independent of my target. So I wouldn't need to be targeting a boss to see a DoT duration etc
    • Remove that strange little half moon symbol on the XP bar
    • Have the XP bar count down how much XP is left to level, instead of counting upwards how much I have

Don't get me started on the UI out of combat - I don't have all day to rattle off the laundry list, and I'm sure most people don't have the time to read them all. But you, hopefully, get the point. I want to change how things are displayed. I want to add lots of information about myself to the space immediately surrounding my character, adjust the configuration of UI bars, and colour code things to make them easier to pick out.

I got used to them in WoW. I played a Paladin, and often found myself needing to use Blessing of Protection or Lay on Hands on a DPS right now! Taking the time to click on them then press the button often took too long in early WoW where there was a built in delay on most skills.

For Shirk, it would work with any tank without needing to put their name in to it. It would also let me be a complete dick and shirk onto DPS for the fun of it. More broadly, and less maliciously, I was hoping to use Mouseover macros for things like Resses, Spot heals, Esuna as a healer, along with various other skills that DPS have that need a friendly target.

Having to click your target, press the button, then click back onto your original target always seemed like a very clunky way to go about it to me. Especially for melee, where it would mean you're losing out by not auto attacking. Mouseover macros have been my go-to solution for that for years now. They do kind of work in FF14, but they've also got a lot of huge drawbacks associated too.

You can't, for instance, make a macro that casts on your mouseover target if you have one, your current target if you have no mouseover target, or yourself if neither of the other are true. In WoW, Rift etc that macro takes less than 1 complete line of text - Including the command to show the ability icon.

They do indeed. It's worse when you're trying to macro an oGCD, you can get some really strange behaviour. Probably the worst of which I noticed with oGCD placable AoE skills - Think Salted Earth or Asylum - when I had a macro to cast them immediately at the mouse location. Quite often they would end up not triggering at all, and leave me stuck with the target reticule on my mouse cursor until I logged off.

Macros in general don't function well in FF14. No matter how well written they are.
    sounds like you are a tank/melee player at least.

Its not as bad as you think for healers since we typically weave between casts and have plenty of time to click around the party.

Just gotta setup good hotkeys/shiftkeys to have access to everything

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah that's too much and I can't get in game to check such minute details asked (showing only debuffed or dead members in an Alliance raid..?) I thought you just wanted to edit the UI in some general level, no default UI will let you completely revamp it like that. Some of the stuff you've asked I know I've seen with mods though, definitely the colour coding things though I don't use mods so couldn't direct you to a specific one besides saying to look in NexusMods.

It's not a terrible UI to the degree you imply however. You can set job gauges to simplified and move them by your health bars, same with putting skills into a bar and moving them to a certain place to help keep track of cooldowns. It doesn't let you interact with the nameplate though. I can't think of many default UIs that let you do everything you've asked for, but then not many let you edit them to the degree FFXIV lets you either. For most games if you want to go that hard on it you need UI overhauls, addons, and in this case mods.

For mouseover macros I thought the link I posted already showed the macro to do exactly that, a priority on whether to cast it on a mouse over, current target, or finally yourself. Someone did confirm that's how it worked. It will still mess up ability queueing and that's something everyone detests you are not alone there.