Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Any dancers around here?

Been thinking of getting into some local dance classes if/when the current crazyness subsides, but wondering what's a good beginner's dance style for someone who's basically never once danced in his 38 years of life, save for a couple of folk dances back in the old country.

I'm looking at older, more established types of dance, not anything pop related. So ballroom, salsa, flamenco, swing, that sort of thing.

Anyone have any useful input?

My first ever attempt at dancing in a crowd, was Line Dance... But then went on to Fox Trot and Cha Cha... I was going with a friend, but those dances were among what she got recommended as a beginner. And Rumba, for some reason, but I put my foot down and refused at that point...

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stelio Kontos View Post
    Been thinking of getting into some local dance classes if/when the current crazyness subsides, but wondering what's a good beginner's dance style for someone who's basically never once danced in his 38 years of life, save for a couple of folk dances back in the old country.

I'm looking at older, more established types of dance, not anything pop related. So ballroom, salsa, flamenco, swing, that sort of thing.

I used to dance Swing when I was younger, its easy and a good place to start. My parents where god tier Swing dancers back when I was a kid. I should really get back into practice myself as well!

10+ Year Old Account
    Free style dance is best.
    Driving on Sunshine.

PM for Tesla referral code.

I know a couple, I've only been actually taught Salsa, Bachata, and Merengue. I know basic "ballroom" but it's not my jam. Samba can be fun too... Basically anything Latin/Spanish. I also know some other ones, but they fall into the wrong category for you, but hiphop style dances are a lot of fun and if you do start going to a dance studio, which I highly recommend, they will likely have a hiphop hour, give it a try.

7+ Year Old Account

No clue, dancing seems weird but that's cool that you're going to learn a new discipline. I was watching this dance earlier on YouTube and it made me realize how people are really strange creatures...

https://youtu.be/Baz0b9e2PsU?t=230

10+ Year Old Account
    A weird, but semi-serious suggestion: male pole dancing.

I'm not sure why you've decided to check out dance as a hobby after all this time, but at a guess you may have been influenced by its popularity during the virus and it offers a way to meet people when the virus reaches that point. I noticed this post about the time I saw news about dancers in strip clubs going back to work and there was a collision of bad ideas. It turns out male pole dancing is a thing. I might have just left that as "hmmm, who knew" except that I used to be married to a dance instructor in the days I taught martial arts and we sometimes ended up discussing body mechanics.

From that perspective, pole dancing is a musical gymnastic routine. Unlike other dance styles, you could practice with nothing more than the equipment and as pole dancing goes more mainstream (I gather it has) the odds are that you might find people in classes that are willing to talk and share information on what dance styles they like. That was one of the things that I enjoyed about weekend martial arts seminars, the "well, in X they handle that situation by ..." As a side benefit, you would get strength and flexibility training at a time you feel like your body is starting to slow down.

I will now see myself to the door.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    My mother taught me some ballet when I was little to help with my footwork for fencing.
    O Flora, of the moon, of the dream. O Little ones, O fleeting will of the ancients. Let the hunter be safe. Let them find comfort. And let this dream, their captor, Foretell a pleasant awakening

Quote Originally Posted by shadowmouse View Post
    A weird, but semi-serious suggestion: male pole dancing.
    No one needs to see a big, swarthy bearded Greek man pole dancing. :P

Some really good suggestions here.

@Aurgjelme Swing does look fun, and I do dig the whole retro 40s/early 50s vibe.

@StillMcfuu Yeah, Latin/Spanish is sort of what got me thinking of trying. It seems to be fun and if I'm going to learn it I'd like to learn before I'm too old to really put it into any use.
    Last edited by Stelio Kontos; 2020-05-19 at 04:31 AM.

No one needs to see a big, swarthy bearded Greek man pole dancing.

oh god, my loins. they throb at the thought.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stelio Kontos
    No one needs to see a big, swarthy bearded Greek man pole dancing.
    Well, I'm not going to be subscribing to your TikTok, but apparently for some it is a thing:

With classes where you can meet people:

With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

From my experience as a Latin styles dancer trying to learn swing, I think one can be a good salsa dancer or a good swing dancer, but not the two at the same time. Well, maybe, but it requires a lot of mental restructuring. I suggest you to learn the latin styles, they're way more fun.
    Salsa is very stylish, varied and just the damn best. Bachata is nice if you're slightly drunk and works super well if you have an emotional connection with your dancing partner, it tends to be a bit more basic than salsa. Merengue is just boring and uninspired, and you'll learn how to dance it just by learning salsa or bachata. And dancing reggaeton well is super nice and it can be real hot if done by men, too.

I dabbled in couple dancing two years ago, found single-time swing easy to begin with. After that tried my dancing feet in bugg and cha cha, which I liked more as they had more energy to them and didn't feel so mechanical.

Absolutely hated walz.
    Now you see it. Now you don't.

Dancing is for the weak-minded but easily entertained.

Quote Originally Posted by ErrandRunner View Post
    Kinda slipping into caricature status at this point, might want to tone it down. Your call.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by ErrandRunner View Post
    You're playing your gimmick out, megabrain.

Quote Originally Posted by StillMcfuu View Post
    I know a couple, I've only been actually taught Salsa, Bachata, and Merengue. I know basic "ballroom" but it's not my jam. Samba can be fun too... Basically anything Latin/Spanish. I also know some other ones, but they fall into the wrong category for you, but hiphop style dances are a lot of fun and if you do start going to a dance studio, which I highly recommend, they will likely have a hiphop hour, give it a try.
    This is just a waltz right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

Quote Originally Posted by Ripster42 View Post
    This is just a waltz right?
    Waltz is one, Cha Cha, Swing, Tango, .... there are a handful of dances considered "ballroom" I know Waltz, Cha Cha, Tango... Other than the ones I've already stated which to me fall into more of the Latin styles vs what would be considered Ballroom. Granted I'm finding lists that include Samba in ballroom, so take that for what you will.

Don't take me as an expert, I just think dancing is kind of fun, so I learned a bit in my 20s. I know a fair amount of the hip hop dances, I can do tha jerk better than most, I can shuffle and by association do the Charleston, etc... I just do them to fool around, and it's been a long time for a lot of the slower dances so I'm super rusty.

Ballroom is a few different dances. There is waltz, foxtrot, quickstep, viennese waltz and tango for ballroom standard and cha cha cha, samba, rumba, pasodoble and jive for ballroom latin. A ballroom studio should be able to teach all 10 dances.

I started at the beginning of 2019 and got right into it. I've had a few weeks off with covid but im back to private lessons again one a week which is good. If your interested i'd just google your town with "dance classes" or "dance studio" and you should be able to find a studio.

Oh I was 34 when I started but its never too late.
    Last edited by Jaykos; 2020-05-25 at 11:36 AM. Reason: typo

Salsa is always a good start. Always. I'd say swing second.