Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Josyel View Post
    Dont you love how Alliance fanboys just forgot and deleted all records of the almighty nazi Hitler alliance general Garithos?
    I'm willing to bet that in story even the alliance historians agree that Garithos was an ass who got what was coming to him for his treatment of the Elves and Dwarves especially historians of those 2 races which is pretty devastating to his reputation since the their the only race that have historians that are notable enough to appear in game(even if their mainly archeologists), odds are with the current lore we have of how Revendreth works Garithos probably got kicked into the Maw

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bwonsamdi the Dead View Post
    Killing Rastakhan? And invading Dazar'alor
    The Zandalar were already attacking the alliance/kul tirans before they invaded dazaralor if we take into account the assaults.
    What went wrong there is that they tried to get him to surrender then backed off when they had the advantage(seriously that was fucken dumb, it’s like if on D day when the Americans took that beach they decided to get back on their boats and sail back to America)

Camp targu I would say doesn’t real count since the alliance allowed non combatants to leave
    The only real bad thing alliance did would be attacking the vulpera and even then you could argue they were a legitimate military target.

Before vanilla wow we can’t really include the actions of Garithos into the alliance or we would have to include all the shit the original horde did.
    Last edited by Rustedsaint; 2020-05-19 at 03:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Super Dickmann View Post
    Killing the Stonespire Tribe is among the only ones that would rank in a list that also included the Horde, since they were massacred solely so that the dwarves could loot shit that was on their land, outside of any warfare. By comparison shit like Brennadam from the Horde or Comrade Umbric telling you that the only thing Gallywix's waitresses have to lose are their chains (that connect them to their mortal coil) is at least part of some ongoing conflict.
    You could do that scenario on Gallywix's estate without murdering his employees if you were careful, and killing only those that attacked you was simple.

Note that most dailies and WQs where you're killing wounded Horde also allow you to completely them simply by healing wounded Alliance. The Horde equivalents tend to be less kind to pacifism and are more likely to require you to kill helpless Alliance. There's a definite difference in tone, and has been since LK where one daily had you as Alliance healing your wounded, while the Horde version had you killing the Alliance wounded.

What about when the alliance murdered all the orcs trying to swim to shore during the start of the Alliance into campaign for MoP?

That was pretty brutal.

Quote Originally Posted by Rustedsaint View Post
    The Zandalar were already attacking the alliance/kul tirans before they invaded dazaralor if we take into account the assaults.
    What went wrong there is that they tried to get him to surrender then backed off when they had the advantage(seriously that was fucken dumb, it’s like if on D day when the Americans took that beach they decided to get back on their boats and sail back to America)

Camp targu I would say doesn’t real count since the alliance allowed non combatants to leave
    The only real bad thing alliance did would be attacking the vulpera and even then you could argue they were a legitimate military target.

Before vanilla wow we can’t really include the actions of Garithos into the alliance or we would have to include all the shit the original horde did.
    The vulpera were a legitimate military target as they were using caravans to transport war supplies to aid the Zandalari in the defense of Zuldazar. They were not neutral and thus had to be dealt with.

Fun fact: The term "Purge squad" stuck around because it was so ridiculous, but it didn't make it past the PTR and was replaced by something like "7th Incinerator", which is much more tolerable. Furthermore, the Alliance mainly sought to take out the war supplies, not to to terrorize the vulpera themselves.

So basically that scenario was blown out of proportions and even Blizzard acknowledged this.
    Last edited by Varodoc; 2020-05-19 at 03:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Manariel View Post
    It would have been great if Anduin and Jaina had used their brains.

Invading an hostile's nation capital to only inflict minimum casualties is a dumb plan.

If they truly wanted the Zandalari to reconsider their alliance with the Horde, they should have destroyed Dazar'alor as much as possible and outright demolished their future ability to wage war. Which includes a lot of civilian casualties.

It'd also served as a clear warning to other neutral or Horde leaning groups (such as the Vulperas) that helping the Horde meant utter destruction.

As it was waged, all that Dazar'alor assault ever could have produced was cementing the hold of the Horde on Zandalar. And it did.
    Yeah. They should have completely burned out the docks and surrounding shipyards, etc. It would have, at the very least, put a hug number of people out of work, destroyed Zandalar's maritime trade (which the Alliance could then have taken over much of), and probably caused a fair amount of starvation from loss of fishing boats, etc., as well. I expect the next logical step, blockading the Zandalari and Horde, was interrupted by Azshara's move.

Anduin is half responsible for the Burning Legion of Azeroth, not eliminating Garrosh when he had the chance was the catalyst for Warlords, Legion, BFA and ultimately Shadowlands. How many millions are dead because Anduin couldn't man up and kill Orc Hitler? Varian would have quadrisected him on the spot. The so-noble Orc Jesus Thrall didn't even hesistate to wombo combo his ass.

Quote Originally Posted by shoc View Post
    Anduin is half responsible for the Burning Legion of Azeroth, not eliminating Garrosh when he had the chance was the catalyst for Warlords, Legion, BFA and ultimately Shadowlands. How many millions are dead because Anduin couldn't man up and kill Orc Hitler? Varian would have quadrisected him on the spot. The so-noble Orc Jesus Thrall didn't even hesistate to wombo combo his ass.
    Sadly, Garrosh lived due to Human!Metzen stopping Orc!Metzen from Doomhammering Garrosh at the end of SoO, because the pandas suffered most of all, somehow. Can't blame you if you blocked out the MoP nonsense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex86el View Post
    "Orc want, orc take." and "Orc dissagrees, orc kill you to win argument."
    Quote Originally Posted by Toho View Post
    The Horde is basically the guy that gets mad that the guy that they just beat the crap out of had the audacity to bleed on them.
    Why no, people don't just like Sylvie for T&A: https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...ery-Cinematic/

Quote Originally Posted by Amaterasu65 View Post
    It's the only one they got, that and tAuRajO.
    Taurajo was a case of a subordinate ordering/allowing his men to commit a massacre against orders from his superior (and if my memory serves he then set up his superior to be killed by the Horde). It was not Alliance policy.

As for the Horde's destruction of Theramore, they used a WMD and while they did telegraph an attack on it to 'encourage' the civilians to leave, they still killed a whole bunch who didn't (and if the place had just been besieged and then taken should've been safe from being massacred, if not from random bad luck involving guys with axes). Jaina's planned response, until talked out of it, would've been even worse, but let's not pretend that the destruction of Theramore was anything less than a war crime. Of course, 'war crime' sums up the Horde conduct in the war seen in Cataclysm. Sure, Sylvanas' war crimes were without or against orders from Garrosh, but the Horde behaviour in Ashenvale doesn't have that excuse (rounding up and caging the Firbolgs, etc.).

Quote Originally Posted by shoc View Post
    What are you talking about? Varian spared Garrosh's life so he could stand trial. Anduin hat literally nothing to do with this.

Wasn't the plan at Dazar'alor to force Rastakhan to drop out of the war or capture him? That was kinda stupid given they're already scuttled the Zandalari fleet which was the only reason the horde allied with them in the first place.

Like wasn't the whole point of the alliance's war plan to gain naval dominance and contain the horde to kalimdor then invade? Why did they even need rastakhan to surrender?

Herald of the Titans Amaterasu65's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalisandra View Post
    Taurajo was a case of a subordinate ordering/allowing his men to commit a massacre against orders from his superior (and if my memory serves he then set up his superior to be killed by the Horde). It was not Alliance policy.

As for the Horde's destruction of Theramore, they used a WMD and while they did telegraph an attack on it to 'encourage' the civilians to leave, they still killed a whole bunch who didn't (and if the place had just been besieged and then taken should've been safe from being massacred, if not from random bad luck involving guys with axes). Jaina's planned response, until talked out of it, would've been even worse, but let's not pretend that the destruction of Theramore was anything less than a war crime. Of course, 'war crime' sums up the Horde conduct in the war seen in Cataclysm. Sure, Sylvanas' war crimes were without or against orders from Garrosh, but the Horde behaviour in Ashenvale doesn't have that excuse (rounding up and caging the Firbolgs, etc.).
    Another mistake of the Alliance you pointed out. She should have just tsunami'd Orgrimmar. The elves would put some pressure to the Tauren since most orcs and trolls would have drowned and the BEs/Undead wouldn't retaliate much considering the BE were on talks with the Alliance to rejoin during that period. Sylvanas would never have that much power to start a war, commit genocide and feed souls to big daddy Satan. WoD wouldn't have happened and we wouldn't have Gul'dan bring the Legion back to Azeroth, yay?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nerovar View Post
    What are you talking about? Varian spared Garrosh's life so he could stand trial. Anduin hat literally nothing to do with this.
    Everything in the past, present and future is Anduin's fault in the zugzug world.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerovar View Post
    brain fart totally forgot about that whole cinematic lmao

If we're counting all historical acts done by the "Alliance," then I'd say the war with the Amani. If we're going only after the start of the WC games (i.e. Alliance of Lordaeron in WC2), then I'd say Daelin's sailing across the ocean to seize control of Theramore and attempt to exterminate, with no warning, the people with whom Theramore had peace. If we're limiting this to only the Grand Alliance, then the Stonespire would probably be it (though I admit that I wasn't even aware of that until reading this thread).

Quote Originally Posted by Amaterasu65 View Post
    Not wiping the Orcs off the face of the planet when they had the chance. They should have just genocided them all into oblivion and most issues would have been resolved. But failing to do so is big rip. Also "legally" is a stupid word to use in here.
    Fine logic to to call it evil when you don't commit the act of genocide and wipe a whole race from existence.

Quote Originally Posted by Bwonsamdi the Dead View Post
    Killing Rastakhan? And invading Dazar'alor
    Rastakhan was offered a chance to surrender, but he refused. Dazar'alor was harboring Horde forces that were launching attacks on Kul'tiras, so it seemed a legitimate target (by the same logic that Theramore was a legitimate target).

Quote Originally Posted by WonderZebra View Post
    Not fully on topic but as a more or less only Horde Player I'll give my two cents about my one of the reason for dislike the alliance.

Simple answer; Theramore. They build a fortified settlment on the boundary of native Horde lands. Use it as a staging ground to invade said lands. Then act like its destruction is somehow evil. The fact writers of wow don't realise that Thermores destruction was perfectly validly just because the ineffectual leader of the city failed to enforce her pacifist ideals.

Imagine that in a real life situation. If china settled a island of the coast of American and turned it into a forfited military staging ground. It would be considered a vaild target.
    At the time of its founding, Theramore was home to all of the surviving forces of the Alliance (with the Burning Legion having already ravaged northern Eastern Kingdoms at the time). Theramore was founded alongside Durotar; it wasn't alongside native Horde lands when the Horde hadn't settled there yet. I think Theramore remained a valid target for attack, but its construction was very different than China creating a colony alongside a pre-existing nation.

Quote Originally Posted by Josyel View Post
    Dont you love how Alliance fanboys just forgot and deleted all records of the almighty nazi Hitler alliance general Garithos?
    Garithos was bad, but I would say Daelin was far worse. Garithos left his allies to die; Daelin outright attacked them. If Garithos hadn't done what he had done, Blood Elves might be Alliance. If Daelin hadn't done what he did, there might not even be separate factions.

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aresk View Post
    Rastakhan was offered a chance to surrender, but he refused. Dazar'alor was harboring Horde forces that were launching attacks on Kul'tiras, so it seemed a legitimate target (by the same logic that Theramore was a legitimate target)..
    Quote Originally Posted by Leyre View Post
    OP asked for evil stuff, not greatest
    Okay okay… The mass-murder and burning of trolls in their own land by humans and elves. Ah yes, that's why I hate elves

I don't really read Lore books so sorry

Quote Originally Posted by Rustedsaint View Post
    What went wrong there is that they tried to get him to surrender then backed off when they had the advantage(seriously that was fucken dumb, it’s like if on D day when the Americans took that beach they decided to get back on their boats and sail back to America).
    It's hard to get a King to surrender when he has his Death God buddy with him. But honestly, BfA's writing is a mess
    Last edited by LemonDemonGirl; 2020-05-19 at 04:26 PM.
    I don't play WoW anymore smh.

Quote Originally Posted by Aresk View Post
    If we're counting all historical acts done by the "Alliance," then I'd say the war with the Amani. If we're going only after the start of the WC games (i.e. Alliance of Lordaeron in WC2), then I'd say Daelin's sailing across the ocean to seize control of Theramore and attempt to exterminate, with no warning, the people with whom Theramore had peace. If we're limiting this to only the Grand Alliance, then the Stonespire would probably be it (though I admit that I wasn't even aware of that until reading this thread).
    Why should he warn them? They were already at war, as the orcs broke the Alliance internment act, massacred an Alliance garrison, and hijacked Alliance ships.

Quote Originally Posted by Talrath View Post
    my opinion the best one, but in MoP they just ruined him. In cataclysme you can see that he condemns the bombing of a druidisme academy and kills the general for it.
    That was the one time he was out of character though.

Quote Originally Posted by Manariel View Post
    Actually, Alliance side the guy at the bank is said to try and rob it before high-tailing. And I think the others are also depicted as kind of shady ? I need to do this questline again...
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisei View Post
    It is explicitly said that we are only killing those that have taken up arms and try to kill us, twice. Jaina has already teleported anyone away that did not attack.
    Vareesa's quest text makes it clear that his crime is trying to withdraw his own assets from the bank, which she seems to view as theft since "He relinquished whatever funds he left in the bank when he and his Sunreaver kind betrayed us."

And with the other civilians its even more explicit: the quest text says "Most shopkeepers in the Magus Commerce Exchange have sided with the Silver Covenant, but there remain a few holdouts that must be taken care of.". They are Blood Elf shopkeepers whose crime is to refuse to side with the Silver Covenant as they are herded into prison. Nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    1) It's not an ethnic group.
    2) They were offered the chance to leave the city peacefully. In spite of overwhelming odds against him, Aethas refused to listen to Jaina. He is equally guilty for whoever died in that Purge.
    The Sunreavers encompass all of the Blood Elves in Dalaran, the vast majority of whom are civilians and many of whom had lived in the city since before the Third War. The purge did not simply target the military or political leadership but drove out the entire Blood Elven population as a whole- that is to say the entire population of ethnic Blood Elves from their homes. So yes it was definitely an action against an ethnic group.

And thats no excuse- even if it were accomplished solely by threats of violence rather than actual violence its still morally wrong to drive out an entire ethnic group from their homes just because a few of them are criminals. The Blood Elves of Dalaran weren't visiting ambassadors- they were a largely civilian population that had lived in the city for centuries, it was their home as much as it is the home of the Dalaran High Elves and its eminently unjust to just demand they leave it.

Many real-life purges were also preceded by demands from the authorities that the victims leave, but that doesn't make events like the expulsion of the Moors from Spain or the expulsion of the Jews from large parts of medieval Europe suddenly moral or justified, because it was wrong for them to have been demanded to leave in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Raisei View Post
    And well, it might be Jaina and the Alliance doing the purging in the end, but who is responsible for it?
    1) Garrosh for abusing the Kirin Tor's neutrality to transport his new WMD
    2) Aethas for knowing this and not alerting the rest of the Kirin Tor, despite very well knowing what Garrosh did with the last WMD he got his hands on.

Was Jaina supposed to just ignore this direct threat to thousands of lifes because of Dalarans neutrality? Was she supposed to sit by while the Horde made a mockery of said neutrality? Patiently waiting for the next bomb to blow up? I guess the Horde playerbase would love that.
    It's the old song, the Horde just wants to see the Alliance on the same level they are at, while it is quite clear that all offensive action of the Alliance follows some or another atrocity the Horde commited.
    Nothing forced Jaina to purge the entire civilian Blood Elf population from her city, killing those who refused to abandon their homes which they had lived in since before she was even born. If she was worried about the Sunreavers aiding Garrosh she could have arrested their leaders and placed the city under martial law, while maintaining that any ordinary Blood Elf civilians wishing to remain in their homes could do so. In fact had she done so the Blood Elves would likely be in the Alliance now.
    None of this excuses Garrosh or Aethas of course, but I never said they had clean hands. Only that Jaina's actions are ultimately her own and there are other ways to resolve treachery than "purge everyone with the same ethnicity as the traitor".

Generally speaking its not considered morally good to take revenge on a civilian population for an action taken by a minority- again in the real world we have countless examples of pogroms and persecutions against ethnic groups deemed to be "enemies" by their neighbours and its not usually acceptable to say that they deserved to be driven from their homes even if there were a few traitors in their midst.

I made no mention of equivalence with the Horde, I was merely answering the OP's question. The purge is morally wrong since it was an act of driving a largely peaceful civilian population from their homes by force solely because a small minority of them had broken the law. I don't see how that can be disputed without falling into moral relativism.
    Last edited by Tharivor; 2020-05-19 at 04:55 PM.