Poll: Are you still mad with Sylvanas story?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltysquidoon View Post
    I'm not mad about her story I'm sick of it.
    This is pretty much where I am too.

Ignoring for a moment the idea that she is the face of one of the most unnecessarily intense gut punches in this modern era of overt “going for the feels” storytelling, the biggest problem with the reliance on *any* single character to tell an MMO story over the course of years would wear out even the most beloved face. Now take that “belovedness” and apply it within the forced tribalism of someone on one side of the faction divide. Now split that faction she’s on in half on another axis of the story.

It’s too much, for too long, in a medium that must move slow by its very nature, and banks its quality on you caring “correctly” about the story.

If Shadowlands doesn’t shelve or end the Sylvanas story, we will have long since shot past tone deaf levels of overkill, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Coolthulhu View Post
    There's a term for it.
    N....no it's not! It's not like blizzard ever said she wasn't powered by a hitherto undisclosed godlike entity all along!

Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    The poll options are rubbish. Besides that.. I couldn't care less, I'm certainly not "mad". I want the end of her story for good as I'm sick of her and her nonsensical rubbish story with gaping plotholes and retcons. Not only did Blizzard write a load of shite with her character, they bend the story and events over backwards to achieve these completely nonsensical plot points - no matter how contrieved - and dragged other characters and story lines down with it.

The sad part is, if we extrapolate her story by what Blizzard has done in the past I'm fairly certain her story won't end in the forseeable future.
    Rubbish how? What options would you have instead lol? It's just a question to those who were angry/disappointed with her story.

But yes, I agree they messed up alot. But like I said... it looks more interesting now than before. According to me atleast.

Was never really mad, just annoyed.
    They always told me I would miss my family... but I never miss from close range.

I like how there is no option of "I was never mad".

I'm irritated they used her to do the same thing they did with Garrosh. Rather than let the Horde live up to its true nature (warriors who seek to conquer) they pulled another case of "MORALITY!" and backtracked, which in the end makes the entire Horde look weak and quite frankly, no different from the Alliance at this point. The point of having factions to begin with isn't so they can be 2 sides of the same coin; it's so they can be different altogether. If you want to play superhero and morality police, aka the "paragon" route then play Alliance. But let the Horde be the "renegade" option and stop backtracking every time they do something controversial, just own it.

As far as Sylvanas' story, I used to like her and no longer care. Unlike a lot of people I think the conundrum of having an existence without purpose or it being a "living hell" is interesting given their alternative, which is fear of the unknown or the afterlife. All kinds of people both today and throughout history have lived shitty lives (slaves, poverty, starvation, endless war, etc) but you don't see them mass suiciding cuz "well our job's done here, let's see if there's an afterlife". Given the choice between existing and not existing, you'd likely choose the former unless you're a nihilist. While the Forsaken are very much twisted, is it hard to believe they would want to keep existing despite having avenged themselves? I won't argue that Blizzard has done a poor job of portraying any of that though. Then again they do a poor job of portraying anything at this point. Nuance is just something they can't achieve in this medium.

She's been a major figure in Cataclysm, Legion, BfA and now Shadowlands. I used to not really care about the forsaken, and kinda sorta liked them (made a mage back in cataclysm). But Sylvanas, and that horrifically annoying edgelord selfinsert Nathanos, has made me absolutely hate the forsaken. Nathanos ruins Legion questing, and even moreso BfA questing. It was a slog unlocking mag'har and vulpera, and I haven't even gotten my mag'har past 100, and I dread when my vulpera makes it that far. I won't even do EK questing because I just hate the forsaken that much.

As others have said, the forsaken should have been shoved to the back of the class when Arthas was defeated. They ruined a slightly tolerable character (Sylvanas) when they shoved Sylvanas into the front, right up nearly inside the orcs' asses, and then past them when they killed Garrosh. I personally think Garrosh was better written than Sylvanas has been, but Danuser has a necrophilic hardon for undead waifu-chan, so we get that shoved down our throats.

I hope she dies in Shadowlands, and takes the shitty little self insert with her. Whether we kill them or not, they better die and be done.

3+ Year Old Account
    I’m on reserved, if she doesn’t get punished for the chaos caused by her insane goal then yea I’ll be mad.

Ohh also Varian died because of Sylvanas. She knew Voljin shadow hunter powers and connection to bwonsamdi where being weakened by Mueh'zala.

If Vojin wasn’t stabbed Thrall wouldn’t have lost hope and helped hold back the demons enough to give alliance plenty of time to escape.

Quote Originally Posted by TigTone View Post
    I’m on reserved, if she doesn’t get punished for the chaos caused by her insane goal then yea I’ll be mad.

Ohh also Varian died because of Sylvanas. She knew Voljin shadow hunter powers and connection to bwonsamdi where being weakened by Mueh'zala.

If Vojin wasn’t stabbed Thrall wouldn’t have lost hope and helped hold back the demons enough to give alliance plenty of time to escape.
    Remember when the Horde and Alliance had a big ole debate about who was at fault for Varian dying and the horde kept bringing up how dope it was when Sylvanas saved Varian in the cutscene and how she genuinely look conflicted about what to do for a moment because she knew retreating meant that there was sudden death for many?

Remember how... like... Voljin asked her to save the horde and she didn't just laugh maniacally while the horde and alliance were slaughtered at the Broken Shore while she flew away with her Valkyr and all of the souls went to the Maw just like her plan has TOTALLY ALWAYS BEEN SINCE AFTER WRATH?

Weird how she didn't follow any of the jailer's plans in Legion....

3+ Year Old Account
    If she actually does die in Shadowlands I'll be happy. But I'm not really that mad. She's always been an angsty character
    I don't play WoW anymore smh.

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hctaz View Post
    Remember when the Horde and Alliance had a big ole debate about who was at fault for Varian dying and the horde kept bringing up how dope it was when Sylvanas saved Varian in the cutscene and how she genuinely look conflicted about what to do for a moment because she knew retreating meant that there was sudden death for many?

Remember how... like... Voljin asked her to save the horde and she didn't just laugh maniacally while the horde and alliance were slaughtered at the Broken Shore while she flew away with her Valkyr and all of the souls went to the Maw just like her plan has TOTALLY ALWAYS BEEN SINCE AFTER WRATH?

Weird how she didn't follow any of the jailer's plans in Legion....
    Only thing she was conflicted about was “how much time do I have before the demons reach me everyone else can die”.

She is an evil psycho who wants to kill everyone. She will die like the monster she is. Or she will get redeemed and make people salty. Either way, people will be mad.
    Expansion Storylines ranking:

Legion > Cataclysm > MoP > BfA up to 8.2.5 > Wrath > TBC > WoD > Dragonflight > BfA 8.3 > Shadowlands

Only thing she was conflicted about was “how much time do I have before the demons reach me everyone else can die”.
    I don't think that's true at all. Why would she risk losing the Valkyr in order to save the horde? And her face when she realizes Voljin is dying reflected that internal struggle. She knows the Valkyr can save the horde, but, by using them, she risks losing the last remaining lives that she has available. Go watch the Broken Shore cinematic again. That's what basically everybody thought whenever it was first released.

3+ Year Old Account
    I don't think that's true at all. Why would she risk losing the Valkyr in order to save the horde? And her face when she realizes Voljin is dying reflected that internal struggle. She knows the Valkyr can save the horde, but, by using them, she risks losing the last remaining lives that she has available. Go watch the Broken Shore cinematic again. That's what basically everybody thought whenever it was first released.
    She doesn’t care about the Valkyr ; in her mind and plan she was on her way to stormheim to get an army of them with the help from Helya.

7+ Year Old Account
    I liked her before legion. Legion and BfA really fucked her over.

She's boring, she's outdated, and she's non-interesting plus powered up (ohhhh how scary! Oh look she finally be able to break a wishbone on her own!)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by morrouac View Post
    Poll needs a "was never mad" option.
    Could gone "Not even mad" option.

My Horde was stained with this trash. Yes, I remain angry as there is no taking back the damage that was done.

I never cared much for Sylvanas, before or after she became Warchief.

More than anything, BFA has made me absolutely DESPISE the faction war aspect of the game. The War Campaign is awful, and so by the end of it, I could not bring myself to care, either about Sylvanas's treachery or Saurfang's death, or anything regarding the aftermath. It was a fucking circus to the very end.

Part of me hopes that Blizzard sort of realized how disgustingly bad it all ended up being, which is why they're really trying to push all of your focus onto Sylvanas and the "Boom, surprise, she's super powerful. Jailer?! Wow!" factor, and away from the pile of shit and garbage that she stepped out of to reach that point.

I think Sylvanas had the chops to be a decent antagonist with ultimately selfish (but understandable) intentions: trying escape a destined trip to hell by any means necessary. And I feel like they were trying to push that a little. But BFA has burned her character to the ground with Teldrassil, and there's no recovering from that. The only way Blizzard can do right by Sylvanas, at least as far as I'm concerned, is to not let her go down like Garrosh did. That would be sad. Don't give the kill to Genn or Tyrande and make us look at a cinematic of their backs as they walk away from her steaming corpse. Have the Jailer betray her, strike the final blow, tear her soul apart and use her raw anima as fuel for his purposes. It wouldn't fix what they've done to Sylvanas, but it'd be an ending I think is fitting for what she could've been, and hopefully tries to be for what's left of her unlife in Shadowlands.
    Last edited by CalamityHeart; 2020-05-19 at 11:41 PM.

She doesn’t care about the Valkyr ; in her mind and plan she was on her way to stormheim to get an army of them with the help from Helya.
    She didn't even know that the Valkyr were IN Stormheim yet lol.

3+ Year Old Account
    She didn't even know that the Valkyr were IN Stormheim yet lol.
    Are you blind To lore? She’s been working with jailer since wrath. Of course she had the knowledge of everyone who had access to shadowlands aka place Valkyr and Valkyr like creature came from.