Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    The guy that made this looks EXACTLY like the kind of guy that would. It's like the ultimate parody, but actually real. Amazing

Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    Captain America comics still don't sell, even in PC culture, the character is just plain as drywall on printed pages so yeah, it's not like this "New Warriors" comic sucks anymore than most Marvel characters. Most Marvel characters suck. They just have an amazing movies studio.
    All characters suck. All characters are fantastic.

Most of the time they just sit there idling in half-assed adventures until someone has a really good idea. Even then good ideas are relative. Hulk is having a moment in the Immortal Hulk comic but I know people who have cancelled their subscriptions to the comic because its "boring".

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    All characters suck. All characters are fantastic.

Most of the time they just sit there idling in half-assed adventures until someone has a really good idea. Even then good ideas are relative. Hulk is having a moment in the Immortal Hulk comic but I know people who have cancelled their subscriptions to the comic because its "boring".
    Jesus are there really people who think Immortal hulk is boring? its been an amazing new run i'm surprised any one could think it was boring of all things.

Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    the years your siting is when they were filing for bankruptcy, obviously you aren't a winning market, if it continued the way it was going we also wouldn't be having this conversation as marvel would have died.
    Wrong.
    My years were when they were at the top of their game. (Jim Shooter era..at no time were comics better)
    We're talking millions of copies sold every month.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Wrong.
    My years were when they were at the top of their game. (Jim Shooter era..at no time were comics better)
    We're talking millions of copies sold every month.
    where exactly are you getting your sales numbers from? jim shooter worked at marvel from from 1976-1987 and while data from that era is mostly not there what is find-able isn't in the millions every month unless your talking all comics over all.

https://www.comichron.com/monthlycom...03Capital.html
    March 1985 saw the release of what could well have been the biggest unit seller of the year: Secret Wars II #1, launching the sequel to 1984's blockbuster Marvel Super-Heroes Secret Warsminiseries. The first seven issues of the nine-issue miniseries topped Capital's monthly charts, with only Marvel's launch of X-Factor later in the year keeping every issue from dominating. Secret Wars II #1 had more than twice the sales of Uncanny X-Men #195. Capital had preorders of 85,000 copies of the launch issue.

Capital City's orders tended to range anywhere between a fifth and a twelfth of Marvel's overall sales in 1985, depending on how much newsstand and subscription attention a comic book got; we can see that for Amazing Spider-Man #266, Capital's orders of 24,300 copies were 19% of Marvel's Direct Market orders for the issue, and 8% of its sales overall. Meanwhile, on a comic book with few subscribers and where newsstand sales were nil, like the direct-only Marvel Fanfare #21, its 13,750 ordered copies were closer to about 20% of its overall sales.
    If you have some better source for sales for the time period id genuinely love to see it.
    Last edited by Lorgar Aurelian; 2020-05-20 at 04:20 AM.

where exactly are you getting your sales numbers from? jim shooter worked at marvel from from 1976-1987 and while data from that era is mostly not there what is find-able isn't in the millions every month unless your talking all comics over all.

If you have some better source for sales for the time period id genuinely love to see it.
    Where the hell were you when I posted such links when Immitis was arguing that 10k sales were awesome?
    At the moment I think the biggest sales went to the revamped XMen #1 in 91 with over 8 million copies sold

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Where the hell were you when I posted such links when Immitis was arguing that 10k sales were awesome?
    At the moment I think the biggest sales went to the revamped XMen #1 in 91 with over 8 million copies sold
    giving that i have no idea who immitis is or what the context for 10k being good is i have no idea?

as to 91 that wouldn't be jim shooter era unless you don't mean him being at Marval.

as far as Xmen selling 8million marvel filed bankruptcy 5 year's later so a number 1 selling well doesn't matter all that much when they nose dived into the ground right after it.

Jesus are there really people who think Immortal hulk is boring? its been an amazing new run i'm surprised any one could think it was boring of all things.
    Not everyone has the same tastes. My usual bar for a comic is how well it reaches people who weren't fans of it. Immortal Hulk sells decently to non-Hulk fans and non-superhero fans. The TPs sell pretty well which is unusual for any Marvel comic.

The two big examples of lesser characters reaching across the aisle are:
    Johns' run on Green Lantern. Even the Zombies think well of it.
    Brubaker's run Captain America. This is the big one since it was well-received by fans of diverse tastes, launched a huge movie and kept people interested in Brubaker's non-superhero work which continues to this day.

7+ Year Old Account
    Not everyone has the same tastes. My usual bar for a comic is how well it reaches people who weren't fans of it. Immortal Hulk sells decently to non-Hulk fans and non-superhero fans. The TPs sell pretty well which is unusual for any Marvel comic.

The two big examples of lesser characters reaching across the aisle are:
    Johns' run on Green Lantern. Even the Zombies think well of it.
    Brubaker's run Captain America. This is the big one since it was well-received by fans of diverse tastes, launched a huge movie and kept people interested in Brubaker's non-superhero work which continues to this day.
    Ya people don’t have the same taste but I wouldn’t have thought any one would have found it boring with almost every issue being a new horror show in one way or another. I would think people would be driven off by the mass amount of gore or that the hulks is doing some new not very hulky stuff.

Actually I'm pretty sure its trolling.
    Yeah, getting a pretty strong troll vibe from it too. The guy behind it saying the [old] New Warriors were too cool for him as a kid, the names of those twins, "internet gas"...

I think he's taking the piss.

It's as if they took a rude right winger's stereotypical insults and made them into actual characters...

I'm honestly wondering what's going on through Marvel's head. Everyone online can see how bad of an idea this is, it's literally impossible no one involved in this didn't see this coming. Did some executive lose a bet? Does someone have dirt on them blackmailing them into doing this? Are they really just riding the outrage train for free publicity?
    Last edited by Very Tired; 2020-05-20 at 05:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Very Tired View Post
    It's as if they took a rude right winger's stereotypical insults and made them into actual characters...

I'm honestly wondering what's going on through Marvel's head. Everyone online can see how bad of an idea this is, it's literally impossible no one involved in this didn't see this coming. Did some executive lose a bet? Does someone have dirt on them blackmailing them into doing this? Are they really just riding the outrage train for free publicity?
    Im going to go with free publicity. We are in the age of triggered bisexual transformer gender swapping tri-liquids t-800s identifying as house plants.

Best way to get everyone to talk about something is to call a female thats dressed like a man a female and i assure you everyone will know about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Josuke View Post
    You do realize you're the one who looks upset?
    Upset about what?

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    I suggest watching the Critical Drinker https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PzmQqq96bA - he also has other awesome stuff and then there are Nerdrotic's scathing videos on this https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...rotic+warriors

I swear I thought this was an April Fool joke...it is just a perfect pisstake...only..they are serious.....

- - - Updated - - -

Don't forget the guy who inhaled his grandpa's experimental Internet Gas ^^
    Yeah, like the names are just so self aware it's an obvious joke... Right?..... Right??..

Quote Originally Posted by Josuke View Post
    Being in the age of whatever boomer humour label you use.
    Am i wrong though? People can say they are anything at all and you have to accept that as fact. I was replying to someone asking about free publicity and this is one of if not the best way for it in 2020.

I'm sorry if you felt "microaggressed" towards my comment. I bet it was the house plant wasnt it?

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    it already has a release date and theres no reason to cancel it after all the work has already been done.

the industry has already restarted to its not gonna die.
    You don't get it, do you? The comic book industry has been on it's last legs since the 70's. A lot of comic book stores are closing down, or will soon, due to the pandemic. The problem is that they are being forced to sit on inventory that people aren't buying, and that includes traditionally styled comics and not just this SJW silliness which we already know doesn't sell.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    You don't get it, do you? The comic book industry has been on it's last legs since the 70's. A lot of comic book stores are closing down, or will soon, due to the pandemic. The problem is that they are being forced to sit on inventory that people aren't buying, and that includes traditionally styled comics and not just this SJW silliness which we already know doesn't sell.
    I mean that's just not true when you look at the only real numbers we have sure you can go into anecdotes about stores closing but the numbers just don't agree that the industry has been on its last leg since the 70's when numbers keep rising.

Estimated OVERALL North American Market size, including estimates for newsstand comics and book channel TPB sales
    (*joint calculation by Comichron and ICV2)

1997 $300-320 million
    1998 $280-300 million
    1999 $270-290 million
    2000 $255-275 million
    2001 $260-285 million
    2002 $300-330 million
    2003 $350-400 million
    2004 $420-480 million
    2005 $475-550 million
    2006 $575-640 million
    2007 $660-700 million
    2008 $680-710 million
    2009 $650-700 million
    2010 $660-690 million
    2011 $690 million*
    2012 $735 million*
    2013 $780 million*
    2014 $835 million*
    2015 $940 million*
    2016 $995 million*
    2017 $925 million*
    2018 $995 million*
    OVERALL North American Dollar Sales for Comics, Trade Paperbacks, and Magazines sold by Diamond Comic Distributors to comic book stores (est.)

2002 n/a
    2003 $310.6 million
    2004 $328.25 million
    2005 $352.33 million
    2006 $395.55 million
    2007 $430.00 million
    2008 $436.6 million
    2009 $428 million
    2010 $419 million
    2011 $414 million
    2012 $474.61 million
    2013 $517.66 million
    2014 $540.38 million
    2015 $579.12 million
    2016 $580.91 million
    2017 $522.25 million
    2018 $516.59 million
    2019 $528.11 million
    https://www.comichron.com/yearlycomicssales.html
    Last edited by Lorgar Aurelian; 2020-05-20 at 11:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    The comic industry got crushed in the mid 90s. Since then its continued as a niche market but its not shrinking. Its not going to close out. The pandemic won't help but there are still some people who like to read comics, some who like to collect comics and the TV/Movie industry views it as a useful way to prototype new material. Sales won't be like the 80s but the current market is much more diverse in terms of content.

Now its time to continue working on my April 2020 order. I plan to order 10 copies of New Warriors #3. That's subject to change before FOC but I figure there's some people who will be curious.

I certainly hope no one goes by dollar figures.
    I still remember when comic books could be bought by the random change in my pocket.

The comic industry got crushed in the mid 90s. Since then its continued as a niche market but its not shrinking. Its not going to close out. The pandemic won't help but there are still some people who like to read comics, some who like to collect comics and the TV/Movie industry views it as a useful way to prototype new material. Sales won't be like the 80s but the current market is much more diverse in terms of content.
    And for those who like to read comics, some prefer digital as well. So even the pandemic won't slow that.