Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Since Blizzard has stated that new classes must reflect the theme of an expansion, the chances of a Bard a pretty slim.

Unless of course Blizzard has an upcoming expansion called WoW: The musical.

7+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    Since Blizzard has stated that new classes must reflect the theme of an expansion, the chances of a Bard a pretty slim.

*Fit ... not reflect. They must fit the expansion, Bard doesn't require the expansion be the musical. Mist of Pandaria wasn't about fist fighting and brewing beer (it had that but it was a part of it.) Wrath wasn't just undead hordes (it was the main antagonist) ... even Legion had focuses away from the title enemy. You don't need the whole expansion to be Bard theme, Bard just has to fit the theme. And notice, the one that are more tied to the expansion are the Hero classes ... Bard could be a non-hero class.

In Wrath, they boiled down the new class to three possible options: Death Knight, Necromancer and Rune Master (or something similar to that) ... they went with Death Knight because they could mix aspects from the other two into Death Knight.

There are many ways they could add to the lore to have bards that wouldn't be "WoW: The Musical." This is you again taking things 100% literal.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

That's an entirely too shallow misconception about what a bard is

Quote Originally Posted by alt-ithist View Post
    Last time I check none of those are made by the archeologist. They are discovered randomly from artifacts they dug up.
    They don't "dig it up", they reassemble the parts they dig up. There's a difference.

If it’s so important for you to have them manufacture something. Then they can manufacture music sheets that allow others to sing the encoded song with a durability. They could create musical instruments That could be used by others.
    Crafting magic scrolls? Then that's not a bard. That's a scribe.

I fail how people keep comparing warrior with bards. A warriors job definition is to fight and or protect by fighting. A bards job definition is to entertain. They are not comparable in anyway and people trying to lump them together isn’t going to change that.
    You're giving your own spin of the bard. I could, for example, that the warrior's job definition is to just stand guard at cities and castles, while the bard's job is to uphold the spirits and morale of military squads.

Also would like to point in Warcraft there is no sound magic akin to what bard is suppose to be. The closest to sound magic would be Murmur but if you have someone taping into his energies it would only be raw destructive power. In essence you would be a sound mage or a sound shaman, not a bard.
    Just like someone tapping into demonic power would "only be raw destructive power"? Or the power of the void? And if you want to bring things down to "sound mage" or "sound shaman", warlocks are literally "fel shamans". The death knights prior to Arthas were "anti-paladins".

- - - Updated - - -

That also really hits the possibility of a tinker class, y'know?

Quote Originally Posted by LarryFromHumanResources View Post
    Yeah I guess but this isn't really a thread about mechanics and how it would play, just whether there's lore to support it.
    Not much to date

Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    And so paladins are priests. They heal and resurrect you with the power of the Light.

See what I did there?
    Yes Paladins are Priests that dont cross dress.
    1) Load the amount of weight I would deadlift onto the bench
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps
    4) Be ashamed of constantly skipping leg day

Quote Originally Posted by LarryFromHumanResources View Post
    In the same way that paladins are just priests in plate with hammers, but still an entirely different class, yes

- - - Updated - - -

To some extent a bard is just an adventurer in the same way that a hunter, rogue or warrior might be. They're much more "generic" for lack of a better word than Tinkers and Demon Hunters. They can fit in anywhere really.
    Terrible comparison, music isnt an elemental force in wow, bards have NEVER been a thing in warcraft. You suggested someone channeling magic through an instrument, sure, a mage could do that, but they would be a mage. They could play a sick melody that creates a blizzard, sure, they are still a mage though.
    Im all for bard themes as options for casters, like a druid singing a song that heals allies or a priest with a harp or a warlock with a demonic lute, you could even call them bards since that would be their profession, but their class will still be druid/priest/warlock.

Honestly its a goofy gimmick that doesnt deserve a class, but it could be a great option if they ever let players choose their casting animations.

Quote Originally Posted by Darththeo View Post
    Wow has had ass pulls since Vanilla... it is nothing new. Just saying, if ass pulls bother you, I don't see how you lasted very long.

As for the rest, people compare Wow's warriors to Barbarians but they aren't really as Barbarians. Expecting Bard to fit one narrow viewpoint is not something WoW does. There is TONS of Sound based magics in WoW ... it is just Sound isn't a school of magic. There are Hymns, and songs that exist in lore.

As for them being "sound mages" ... well, I could state that we don't really have Warlock's in WoW as playable ... we have Fel mages that call themselves Warlocks.
    Hymns in WoW are light magic based on faith as I remember, not powered by sound. And songs does exist in WoW but I’ve never seen it shown to have any power. And yes, warlock are fel mages, shamans are elemental mages, druids are life mages. Would you really want bards to be sound mages?

This thread has brought some nostalgia in me so I downloaded Rift and played my rogue a bit. One of my favorite class to play in pvp was bard and it’s as fun as I remember it. Unlike some others I won’t bitch if blizzard decides to add them but I still don’t see how they could make it within the confine of wow’s description of them. Then again they changed monks from simple martial art dudes to martial art dudes who get power from wild gods, maybe with the void realm expansion they can switch bards from simple entertainers to entertainers mind controlled by the void lords and given special illusion powers and the ability to channel dark magic through their instruments to mind control and fight with.

But again, asspull. I’d rather it not be that and just be something fun and light and have bards playing in taverns, give something to the RPers to play with.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruargh
    I'm baffled that something this simple can be so hard for some people... I guess we can't blame blizzard for dumbing down the game any longer, because apparently it very much needed :

10+ Year Old Account
    Hymns in WoW are light magic based on faith as I remember, not powered by sound. And songs does exist in WoW but I’ve never seen it shown to have any power. And yes, warlock are fel mages, shamans are elemental mages, druids are life mages. Would you really want bards to be sound mages?

This thread has brought some nostalgia in me so I downloaded Rift and played my rogue a bit. One of my favorite class to play in pvp was bard and it’s as fun as I remember it. Unlike some others I won’t bitch if blizzard decides to add them but I still don’t see how they could make it within the confine of wow’s description of them. Then again they changed monks from simple martial art dudes to martial art dudes who get power from wild gods, maybe with the void realm expansion they can switch bards from simple entertainers to entertainers mind controlled by the void lords and given special illusion powers and the ability to channel dark magic through their instruments to mind control and fight with.

But again, asspull. I’d rather it not be that and just be something fun and light and have bards playing in taverns, give something to the RPers to play with.
    Well to be fair, Martial Arts does have a tradition of getting their power and inspiration from animal gods and spirits. This is especially the case in Chinese martial arts, from which a lot of monk classes are based on. In Chinese martial arts, there is actually Tiger, Ox, Crane, and Dragon styles, which mirror the animal gods used for Pandaren martial arts.

Quote Originally Posted by willtron View Post
    Yes Paladins are Priests that dont cross dress.
    Cross... dress? What are you even on, about?

Cross... dress? What are you even on, about?
    Hopefully this will clear things up
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps

7+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away

So you haven't played WoW ... there are sirens that sing for example ... in bfa.

Hymns are songs, and yes they are light magic, but they are still a song. The sound is the carrier for the magic, just like a sword can hit with Light magic, sound can carry light magic. So you can state it is "Sound based magic" even though it isn't a sound school of magic.

- - - Updated - - -

As funny as that response is ... that wasn't what they were referring to. It is your claim that a class cross dresses.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

Yeah... you didn't explain a single thing. Where did you get "crossdress" from this discussion?

Yeah... you didn't explain a single thing. Where did you get "crossdress" from this discussion?
    Im saying yes, they're the same class, just Priests do it in dresses. Do I need to dumb it down more for you because I really don't know how to make it more clear.
    Last edited by willtron; 2020-05-20 at 02:20 PM.
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps

Bards do exist in the lore. That's a fact.
    They do not.. a regular singer isn't a bard. Well not the kind that would be fit to be a class anyway. All the sorry examples I've seen is just someone singing in a tavern or someone named "singer". I mean there are way more cooks and smiths in the game and no one is asking for those to be new classes.

Quote Originally Posted by Zentail View Post
    Bards are basically musical rogues lol. You didn’t know that though. Nice try. A for effort.
    Yet they are nothing like that, A for effort though.

Im saying yes, they're the same class, just Priests do it in dresses. Do I need to dumb it down more for you because I really don't know how to make it more clear.
    Paladins do it too, you know? Congratulations on getting egg on your face.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Amarys View Post
    They do not.. a regular singer isn't a bard.
    But they do exist. Music-based magic exist in Azeroth, bard-like characters exist in Azeroth, and bards exist in Azeroth:

Russell Brower: "Words and Music by Russell Brower the Bard and <name> the <Class>."

- - - Updated - - -

But they do exist. Music-based magic exist in Azeroth, bard-like characters exist in Azeroth, and bards exist in Azeroth:

Russell Brower: "Words and Music by Russell Brower the Bard and <name> the <Class>."
    I mean, to be fair. There is T2 which looks like some sort of Inquisitor and then there is priest T5 which looks a bit...off...on male characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    Better than "Tinkers", AKA, professional Engineers.
    Great attitude, I'm gonna go with "bards are the most idiotic thing I've ever heard of as a class concept" and move on from that.

Tinkers already exist and would fill a hole missing in this game (game heavily revolves around steam-based technology with no classes supporting it), bards are 'lol I play music', no thanks.

I wasn't gonna bash bards but since you're going to troll about tinkers without anyone even bringing it up, there you go.

(Don't worry though, most likely Blizzard isn't going to add any new classes, because that would require effort and Blizzard hates effort these days.)

Paladins do it too, you know? Congratulations on getting egg on your face.[/URL]
    Are you on the spectrum?

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Thats just a nod to the composer, not full blown lore on Bards existing.
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps