Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
    Just from looking at the detailed data, how can you believe those numbers are accurate? The top US realm is Sargeras with over 42k then next you have Lightbringer at just over 15k. Proudmoore is showing 0, Stormrage is showing 0. Moon Guard, the top RP server in the US is showing 0.

It is obvious WoW numbers aren't what they used to be. What's the point of this BS?
    To say DOOOOOOMMMMMM is what im thinking it's silly this data is hot trash.

Quote Originally Posted by Seranthor View Post
    45.4% isn't 'most', in fact it isn't even half. The bigger shock is that you place any credibility in these numbers.
    No matter the metric they use, even if the absolute numbers are completely off the relative share would still be correct.

But just looking at the numbers now - just a few hours after the thread creation - we can easiliy deduce that those numbers are iffy at best, or you can probably simply call them bullshit. Unless obviously more than half a million europeans started to play wow in the last hours.

EU characters in database: 4 208 789 of which 1 560 579 is currently considered being active within 2 week period.
    EU guilds in database: 13 001 that have at least 10 members that are considered active within 2 week period.

US characters in database: 3 429 875 of which 280 180 is currently considered being active within 2 week period.
    US guilds in database: 1 431 that have at least 10 members that are considered active within 2 week period.

Korean characters in database: 465 822 of which 10 840 is currently considered being active within 2 week period.
    Korean guilds in database: 173 that have at least 5 members that are considered active within 2 week period.

Taiwanese characters in database: 553 373 of which 22 613 is currently considered being active within 2 week period.
    Taiwanese guilds in database: 341 that have at least 5 members that are considered active within 2 week period. These numbers represent how much the guild members have participated lately in same raids or dungeons.

US Horde here, specifically Illidan. I would be shocked if the number of active players was even comparable these days, tbh. Aside from the game having always been spread out among a larger player population in EU, it's more popular these days there than in the states, and orgs like Method are part of the reason for that.

From an endgame perspective, I can remember even in mid to late Legion being able to get on at any time of the day, on any day, and easily finding groups to do almost all relevant content on Horde US. Now, if you aren't on during absolute prime time hours, or right after resets, that isn't the case.

I could see the EU and asian numbers, EU making up half of the players seems reasonable these days. The asian numbers also wouldn't surprise me, way smaller population and all that. Asians also have a way stronger affinity for mobile gaming in general and their MMO culture is also different, not to mention SK cranks out new MMORPGs like a conveyor belt.

The US numbers definitely seem iffy though. Did they run the search at night when everyone was sleeping over there?
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

Quote Originally Posted by EnigmAddict View Post
    Even if you account for that, can you not assume that the same goes on in the US and Korea .. what shocked me is how few a number of US people actually play wow and Koreans compared to europeans, when 10 years ago, US was on par or even ahead of the EU, and Korea wasn't far behind. So it's looking at the relative numbers.

Wow is no where near as popular as I thought it was and as EU realm stats are showing. Americans aren't playing world of warcraft anywhere near as much, it's an order of magnitude lower, even moreso amongst the Koreans.

But then, MMO player bases are on a steady decline anywayy. Kinda makes me wonder why am I playing this still? I'm not even that interested anymore.
    Maybe because your friends refuse to play a different game like mine. I only bought 30 days of gametime cuz i`m waiting for FF14 legendary grind. But i think most WoW players are like this, they have some friends who refuse to play a different mmorpg.

Yes.

But I'm only counting EU, US, TW and KR.

It's pretty close between US and EU, and EU is only the majority because TW and KR are so small now.

Source:

Theunderminejournal data.

Number of Zin'athids available across the region.

EU 6.8m
    US 5.6m
    KR 0.2m
    TW 0.2m

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Right...sounds sensible and I agree to " variables are so much". I have 20 chars at level 120...but there are maybe 5 I log in daily. On 1 I spend some time, on the others I just craft cloth and make bags...like log in / log out within a minute. How does that get counted. Then there is the yet to be cleared up issue how the site OP linked collects data. Already ppl here point out how inaccurate they possibly are.
    I think, not sure, that only possible way to collect that sort of data is using the armory, as the armory displays character activity.

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    I tried coming up with ideas on how to read the 32 million MAU (at least there I guess it only counts you once per day you are active in any Blizzard game and no matter how many characters you play) ...but they are for all Blizzard games....so again open to guesswork.
    Its all we can do, guesswork .

I think those numbers look about right considering how dead all US servers are.

Quote Originally Posted by xenogear3 View Post
    You should.
    You just answered yourself.
    You cannot find people to play with if it is a dead game.
    I have no trouble finding people to play with. Wow is exactly the same as it has always been to me.

You also pay to transfer if you are on a dead server.
    Use gold
    My Collection
    - Bring back my damn zoom distance/MoP Portals - I read OP minimum, 1st page maximum-make wow alt friendly again -Please post constructively(topkek) -Kill myself

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    This seems like a "WoW is Dying/Dead" type thread, and since official sub metrics aren't provided anymore there's really nothing to discuss but anecdotal evidence. Closing this.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead