10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    How the hell do you lose Tom Brady and Gronk and still not have the cash to sign a 2nd round pick? Where is your money tied up at?
    Our money is still tied up in Brady. His contracts the past few years have pushed money in to the future, and with him no longer on the team all that cash accelerated on to this years cap.

13,5M in dead money just from Brady, 26M dead money in total. On a salary cap that's only a smidge under 200 million total. Patriots carried over some cap space too from last year, but even with that we basically have 10% of our cap space tied up in dead money.

This is basically the first year of a (financial) rebuild.

Next year will have tough decisions too. There's a chance all of our core defensive players retire or sign elsewhere next year or potentially get traded, because of their costs. This year is easy in comparison to me, cause rebuilding the offense made sense. But the defense has been the strength of the team for 2 years now and will be again next year. If that goes away, we are REALLY starting the rebuild.

But, we will have 90 million in cap space to work with next year (assuming no massive cap shrinkage, which is definitely possible) so re-signing guys like Hightower should totally be doable.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    Really strange take from someone who so clearly loves Tom Brady judging from his avatar. You'd imagine such a person would be a Bucs fan now and hate the Pats!
    It really isn't getting the rise you wish it had when you knew you won that bet, huh?
    Ex-Mod. Technically retired, they just won't let me quit.

It's hard when people on the forum know no one really gives a shit about Tom Brady.

10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe Brady in a Bucs uni would at least make xskarma suffer a little.
    /s

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Speaking of Brady he's getting an ESPN series next year.

Indicator that maybe this season is/was meant to be his last dance?
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    Maybe Brady in a Bucs uni would at least make xskarma suffer a little.
    A little. But it's like any break up, eventually you move on and hope they are happy even if it isn't with you and you get invested in your own new relationship.

Brady is too maniacal to fail with the Bucs, but I think the lack of defense and coaching and general preparedness on that team will be a rude awakening for him.

And on the flipside I don't think Belichick will maintain the same level of excellence he had year to year with Brady. He's going to need time with Stidham to get things rolling again. The big question isn't so much if he can get the offense rolling again to me, I think they'll be league average at worst, but to rebuild the defense when McCourty, Chung and potentially Gilmore leave the team in the next year or 2.

In short, I'm much more worried/invested in my current relationship to worry much about how my old flame is doing (even if I will occasionally facebook stalk her).

10+ Year Old Account
    Speaking of Brady he's getting an ESPN series next year.

Indicator that maybe this season is/was meant to be his last dance?
    Tom Brady is not enjoyable enough for his own ESPN series. He has the charisma of Hillary Clinton.

All I know is Tom Brady split his pants today on national television while playing golf, and all is good in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    All I know is Tom Brady split his pants today on national television while playing golf, and all is good in the world.
    Too many bacon buddies for him?

Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    Too many bacon buddies for him?
    Bending over to pick a ball out of the hole in his charity golf thing against Peyton Manning/Tiger. Brady's partner was Phil.

10+ Year Old Account
    The 4th and 15 replacement for the Onside kick didn't make it in owner voting. Several of the less controversial ones did. Including a little discussed one where teams can now bring THREE players back from IR instead of just two.

I think that one might have pretty big consequences, cause 1 extra player can make all the difference and means teams can let players go to IR even with slightly less significant injuries that need time to recover from instead of having guys tough it out and get hurt even worse.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I do wonder why the NFL doesn't just go all the way and remove the boomerang limit, they keep raising it now and frankly how many teams are going to have 3 guys that are able to return?

Also Panthers have signed Eli Apple. Forgot he was even on the market.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

10+ Year Old Account
    Should be like baseball honestly. Have a 6 and 10 week injured designation for players. If it goes lower than 6 I feel like it'd create an issue in baseball where they are using the list to give pitchers extra rest by cycling in AAA arms.

10+ Year Old Account
    Also Panthers have signed Eli Apple. Forgot he was even on the market.
    Raiders had planned to sign him then decided to nope the fuck out of it when Amukamara became available.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ProphetFlume View Post
    This is the guy that missed the playoffs the only season he had without brady
    Yeah, on a freak season where 3 teams in the AFC had 11-5 or higher, they lost head to heads in their division and on the wild card, any other year 11-5 is almost a cert to make the playoffs.

He still got 11 wins that year out of Matt Cassel. I dare any other coach to achieve that.
    Ex-Mod. Technically retired, they just won't let me quit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Melvin Gordon said what we're all thinking, that playing for the Chargers has prepared him for playing in an empty stadium.
    /s

Quote Originally Posted by Vetali View Post
    Should be like baseball honestly. Have a 6 and 10 week injured designation for players. If it goes lower than 6 I feel like it'd create an issue in baseball where they are using the list to give pitchers extra rest by cycling in AAA arms.
    May have to do a shorter number of weeks for NFL. 10 weeks and the season is pretty much done.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    The 4th and 15 replacement for the Onside kick didn't make it in owner voting.
    I was hoping this one made it. I think it would have really made the end of games more interesting. I'm the crazy one that would always start the first and third quarters going 4th and 15. AND after every score, I'd do it.

The problem though if you can do it after every score. The other team may never see the ball.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    I was hoping this one made it. I think it would have really made the end of games more interesting. I'm the crazy one that would always start the first and third quarters going 4th and 15. AND after every score, I'd do it.

The problem though if you can do it after every score. The other team may never see the ball.
    Allowed to go for it only twice a game under the existing proposal.

Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    Allowed to go for it only twice a game under the existing proposal.
    That would make sense otherwise it would be way abused. Although I think I would always use it both times if the momentum seemed in my favor. I could score a TD use it scores another and be up 14 points. Stop them. Score another TD then use it scores another TD then be up 28. If I'm up by 28 the other team has to totally change their game plan now.

Sorry, I can't find the exact wording of the rule. Not sure if that is allowed.

I think people are being a bit delusional if they think this would actually be abused. A 4th and 15 from your own 25 yard line? That is too risky. Teams with the lead are not going to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by ohiostate124 View Post
    I think people are being a bit delusional if they think this would actually be abused. A 4th and 15 from your own 25 yard line? That is too risky. Teams with the lead are not going to do it.
    I get it. I'm the crazy enough one to do it though. Good thing I don't coach.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ohiostate124 View Post
    I get it. I'm the crazy enough one to do it though. Good thing I don't coach. If you are already up by seven the worst thing that could happen is you are now tied again.