Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    There's bards and dancers and lumberjacks and all that stuff, but there's no cla/ss possibility for a bard. What would they do, play music and buff people? where would the lore be in that?

I'm legit curious as how they would make that work. I play a Shai in BDO and that cla/ss legit is a bard(buffs allies with music) but there's lore in game for why that works. for a cla/ss like that to work, it would have to be a unique case, like some spirits who love music join you and when you play music, they give off energy based on that. But that wouldn't be your traditional bard :/

Quote Originally Posted by MikeBogina View Post
    There's bards and dancers and lumberjacks and all that stuff, but there's no cla/ss possibility for a bard. What would they do, play music and buff people? where would the lore be in that?
    "What would priests do? Pray and bless people?"

There is lore to make a playable bard class in the game. Spells conveyed through song and music, actual bards, and actual bards casting magic spells through their music.

I'm legit curious as how they would make that work. I play a Shai in BDO and that cla/ss legit is a bard(buffs allies with music) but there's lore in game for why that works. for a cla/ss like that to work, it would have to be a unique case, like some spirits who love music join you and when you play music, they give off energy based on that. But that wouldn't be your traditional bard :/
    I have a bit of a concept on my sig if you want to check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by SeniorJoker View Post
    Let's be realistic. Bards can't dmg with music or singing. Warcraft movie could be crazy soap opera movie with such things.
    Sounds can easily be a weapon magical or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    "What would priests do? Pray and bless people?"
    Well yeah, there's legit an entire realm of Light, greater than anything else in existence and the Light rewards faith and worship. I don't see a realm of music and a god of rock.

There is lore to make a playable bard class in the game. Spells conveyed through song and music, actual bards, and actual bards casting magic spells through their music.
    So their bases of power would then be the Arcane? So they'd be a mage casting spells with musical instruments?
    I have a bit of a concept on my sig if you want to check it out.
    I see, so you would go with the bard using the power of light, which could work.

If the Bard used the light for it's powers, we could also get a spec that uses the shadow/void with a guitar, especially since Light and Void play off the mind and music can influence one's thoughts and feelings or express them.

I think though, that if they added a bard cla/ss, maybe make it nature/element related with spirits. Maybe a hero cla/ss to explain why it's not a thing already, but that the one you play is a unique case. Someone who uses nature and elemental spirits with their music. In BDO, the shai has these spirits who pop up and do things based on her music, for the flute that buffs allies, the guitar that debuffs enemies and the drums that summon either earth or fire spirits to do dmg and stuns. Not saying it has to be like that, but a bard who plays music and the spirits with them react based on the music played could be really interesting imo.

10+ Year Old Account
    you know what else isn't in warcraft lore?

Ducks.

There are no ducks in world of warcraft.

At least.. thats what we're made to believe..
    #boycottchina

Quote Originally Posted by Salvager23 View Post
    This is sort of unfair because you're just pulling random Bard ideas from anywhere. I don't think a WoW Bard would work like a Final Fantasy Bard for example. I think before we discuss this, we need to know exactly what a Bard can and can't do in the context of Warcraft.

I also don't see Bards tanking period.

What other class heals without Mana?
    ETC from Heroes of the Storm says hello. Power slide, mosh pit, stage dive - might need to be toned down for Warcraft's slightly more serious theme, but there's a template there.

And bards exist in Diablo II and Overwatch, in which they're arguably far more "ridiculous" than they would be in WoW.

Well yeah, there's legit an entire realm of Light, greater than anything else in existence and the Light rewards faith and worship. I don't see a realm of music and a god of rock.
    Go to WoWHead and search for the word "song". Those are just the sound abilities with 'song' on the name. Then we have the 'hymn' abilities. Then we have abilities like the Sound Barrier. And then we have this guy. And those are just the ones off the top of my head.

So their bases of power would then be the Arcane? So they'd be a mage casting spells with musical instruments?
    Assuming, for the sake of argument, that you're right in your assessment, what would be the problem, considering we have priests and paladins sharing the exact same base of power?

I see, so you would go with the bard using the power of light, which could work.

If the Bard used the light for it's powers, we could also get a spec that uses the shadow/void with a guitar, especially since Light and Void play off the mind and music can influence one's thoughts and feelings or express them.
    It's one idea, although my idea goes for the 'lighter' side of things, with a melee fencing spec, and a spellcaster and a healer spec, both holy-based.

I think though, that if they added a bard cla/ss, maybe make it nature/element related with spirits. Maybe a hero cla/ss to explain why it's not a thing already, but that the one you play is a unique case. Someone who uses nature and elemental spirits with their music. In BDO, the shai has these spirits who pop up and do things based on her music, for the flute that buffs allies, the guitar that debuffs enemies and the drums that summon either earth or fire spirits to do dmg and stuns. Not saying it has to be like that, but a bard who plays music and the spirits with them react based on the music played could be really interesting imo.
    The concept of a hero class doesn't work for the bard. Being a 'hero class' implies that the character already has prior combat experience. That is reflected in the current hero classes with the DK being a resurrected veteran of past wars, and the DH being a soldier of Illidan who fought in many battles, already.

I think one way to introduce the bards would be to go the way of the monk class: the class introduced by a foreign people.

The first four points is how I think a bard class would work and how I envisioned my concept. Bows, crossbows and guns, and mail or leather armor; instruments would be just casting animations, etc.

I only went with a tad further making one of the specs a melee spec inspired in the Three Musketeers movies, with a Fencing spec.

- - - Updated - - -

Just like warriors and paladins. Well known professions.
    A fencing spec would be pretty cool! If I made one of the specs in my post have a melee option it would probably be the hymnist. It would help with itemization for a healer if they could use a few intelligence weapons too. Though they could always just itemize some ranged weapons with int after adding bards. Still, the option would help while leveling.

Bards arent just about music they are traditionally people who tell epic tales and the tortollan, undead Elves in Azsuna, Lore walker Cho, etc that use scrolls and story summons seem to be using arcane magic to do so.

Once again: he joins you in the fight in Mt. Hyjal for the Firelands Invasion, casting frost spells with his songs.
    How do I not remember that. Ok I’ve been proven wrong so I admit defeat. Still don’t like the idea of combat bard or maybe I’m more into the idea of a secondary profession bard that anyone can enjoy. Anyway I give in. Bard away.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruargh
    I'm baffled that something this simple can be so hard for some people... I guess we can't blame blizzard for dumbing down the game any longer, because apparently it very much needed :

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by FossilFree View Post
    A fencing spec would be pretty cool! If I made one of the specs in my post have a melee option it would probably be the hymnist. It would help with itemization for a healer if they could use a few intelligence weapons too. Though they could always just itemize some ranged weapons with int after adding bards. Still, the option would help while leveling.
    Why would the healer spec be the fencer and not DPS though?

- - - Updated - - -

Something people never want to consider in their discussion for how the Bard could be implemented in lore is the literal essence of sound in the Warcraft universe, Murmur.

So Bardic magic could easily be Spirit/Chi based as they draw upon an elemental force.

Quote Originally Posted by alt-ithist View Post
    How do I not remember that. Ok I’ve been proven wrong so I admit defeat. Still don’t like the idea of combat bard or maybe I’m more into the idea of a secondary profession bard that anyone can enjoy. Anyway I give in. Bard away.
    There's a daily in the Molten Front where you get an entourage of four NPCs to come with you during the quest. Four from a rather big poll of characters, and Russell Brower is just one of those characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Sagenod View Post
    Of course Bards wouldn't tank! I said what I said because your example of Tinkers as tanks was about design rather the specific type of gameplay. Ranged tank will most likely never happen, we both agree I'm sure.
    Sure, but there's a possibility for tanking with ranged weapons. People would like that quite a bit.

What do you think the spec configuration of a Bard would look like? I can't see a Bard having more than 2 specs.

3+ Year Old Account
    Sure, but there's a possibility for tanking with ranged weapons. People would like that quite a bit.

What do you think the spec configuration of a Bard would look like? I can't see a Bard having more than 2 specs.
    A ranged tank would be cool but it wouldn't work in the context of WoW encounters. If it was in melee range with a ranged weapon what would be the point? I could see it being about using a shotgun, but then how do you explain bows and crossbows, which aren't weapons that are easy to operate in melee range in real life (not that that's made a difference when they removed minimum attack range with ranged weapons).

If it were a class, I agree that a Bard would likely have 2 specs. 3 would be nice as I'd like to see both a melee spec that makes use of fencing and dancing, and a ranged spec reminiscent of FFXIV'S Bard. But I think 2 specs would be more likely, ranged DPS and healer. Adding another melee DPS before finally adding a new ranged one would be unfortunate and I'm sure a lot of people agree. No matter the case though, the way I see it all Bard specs would feature a robust support kit at the cost of mobility. Not to say they wouldn't have any mobility options since every class in the game does. But look at DK, Shaman, Warlock; less mobility compared to other classes but more support options. I think Bard would be the same way!

Would be hillarious to have a dude with a flute help bring down some of the mightiest adversaries the known Warcraft universe has faced. The Lich King hurling himself off the top of ICC due to a bad performance is the first scenario that comes to my mind. Deathwing attempting to drown himself in the Maelstrom comes second, with a bard playing an awful tune right into his ear after climbing up his body.

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    you know what else isn't in warcraft lore?

Ducks.

There are no ducks in world of warcraft.

At least.. thats what we're made to believe..
    Druid duck spec incoming

Quote Originally Posted by Sagenod View Post
    A ranged tank would be cool but it wouldn't work in the context of WoW encounters. If it was in melee range with a ranged weapon what would be the point? I could see it being about using a shotgun, but then how do you explain bows and crossbows, which aren't weapons that are easy to operate in melee range in real life (not that that's made a difference when they removed minimum attack range with ranged weapons).
    I don't know, I mean only Demon Hunters can use warglaives. Maybe have the new class have their own set of weapons like shotguns or hand cannons that only they can use? Brewmaster Monks can only use staves, so maybe this new class could only use hand-held cannons in their tank spec. Once that's out of the way, give them blast-style abilities, like big shots and grenade launcher stuff. Think the engineer in TL2. People would go nuts even if its really still in melee.

edit: Found a pic matching what I'm thinking:

If it were a class, I agree that a Bard would likely have 2 specs. 3 would be nice as I'd like to see both a melee spec that makes use of fencing and dancing, and a ranged spec reminiscent of FFXIV'S Bard. But I think 2 specs would be more likely, ranged DPS and healer. Adding another melee DPS before finally adding a new ranged one would be unfortunate and I'm sure a lot of people agree. No matter the case though, the way I see it all Bard specs would feature a robust support kit at the cost of mobility. Not to say they wouldn't have any mobility options since every class in the game does. But look at DK, Shaman, Warlock; less mobility compared to other classes but more support options. I think Bard would be the same way!
    I understand the healing spec, but how would you integrate song magic into the RDPS spec if they purpose is physical ranged?
    Last edited by Salvager23; 2020-05-22 at 03:01 PM.

Except "bard" is a common RPG trope class, along with mages, paladins and rogues.
    It's also one of the very few classic RPG class tropes that aren't represented in wow by either class or spec.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    They'd be an interesting secondary profession that could be used to duplicate buffs the raid is missing. Like the toy that plays different scores from zones. Wouldn't you love to play Grizzly Hills for your raid to improve their Stamina?
    Cries in Inscription.

3+ Year Old Account
    I don't know, I mean only Demon Hunters can use warglaives. Maybe have the new class have their own set of weapons like shotguns or hand cannons that only they can use? Brewmaster Monks can only use staves, so maybe this new class could only use hand-held cannons in their tank spec. Once that's out of the way, give them blast-style abilities, like big shots and grenade launcher stuff. Think the engineer in TL2. People would go nuts even if its really still in melee.

edit: Found a pic matching what I'm thinking:

I understand the healing spec, but how would you integrate song magic into the RDPS spec if they purpose is physical ranged?
    I like what you're saying about a technology based tank spec and I'd like it too. I would imagine there would be a ranged component to the abilities, but in order to hold threat you'd have to use the "melee" abilities.

And if I had the time I could think of Bard-oriented abilities that coincide with either a melee or ranged playstyle. Just requires some creative thinking!