Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    If only the combat was good....
    Amen. I've tried to get into the game several times and I just can't make it past a couple hours for one reason: the combat.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Unlimited Power View Post
    It's still supposed to be a cohesive story though. To me that'd be no different than jumping into Mass Effect 3 without playing the first 2 games which is a complete deal-breaker to me.
    I do not think it would be a turn off for you. I did not like the first 2. The Witcher 3 is far superior to those. I did not finish any of the first 2 , and did not feel like I missed anything by playing the 3rd without completing the first 2.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by callipygoustp View Post
    Amen. I've tried to get into the game several times and I just can't make it past a couple hours for one reason: the combat.
    Different strokes for different folks. The combat was good enough for me to enjoy the game. Also, I look at a game as it feels overall. A lot of people enjoy fast paced shooters. I enjoy a game which has a lot of lore and story. With some gorgeous environment details. How alive the game feels to me. One of the major attractions for myself when it came to playing Red Dead Redemption 2, was how alive the game felt, with the degree the developers put in that aspect.

Overall, I think The Witcher 3 is better than RDR2, even if the combat, was more challenging in the latter.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    Different strokes for different folks.
    Of course. Most definitely goes without saying.

The combat was good enough for me to enjoy the game.
    Sadly, for me, the combat utterly destroyed my interest in the game. The combat is so god dam boring. I hear the story is great. Quests are superb. Etc. Sadly, the combat system sucks so bad I just can't give it enough time to find out for myself.

Also, I look at a game as it feels overall.
    Who doesn't?

It's still supposed to be a cohesive story though. To me that'd be no different than jumping into Mass Effect 3 without playing the first 2 games which is a complete deal-breaker to me.
    Witcher 3 isn't really a followup to the Witcher 1 and 2 storylines. It's more of a followup to the books if anything. Play it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah but trust me playing Witcher 3 immediately without playing the previous ones will not affect you really as the other guy mentioned here only few references and some characters here and there, nothing super duper major.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by callipygoustp View Post
    The combat is not great I agree but they kinda made it much better after they released the dlcs with the introduction to the new mutation thingy (forgot the name sorry). It became better than at launch. Is is perfect combat wise? hell no but it is not that bad tbh.

10+ Year Old Account
    Man I should really stop playing any other game and dedicate all my time to Witcher 3 at some point. Over the past 5 years I've started a new game three times because I was out of the loop on where I was due to neglecting it. All of those saves had about 15-20 hours in them.

Really need to get on with finishing it!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Velshin View Post
    Yeah but trust me playing Witcher 3 immediately without playing the previous ones will not affect you really as the other guy mentioned here only few references and some characters here and there, nothing super duper major.

- - - Updated - - -

The combat is not great I agree but they kinda made it much better after they released the dlcs with the introduction to the new mutation thingy (forgot the name sorry). It became better than at launch. Is is perfect combat wise? hell no but it is not that bad tbh.
    Maybe that is one reason I did not find the combat bad. I bought the game with the two DLC's after it had been out for a while, for like $30. I do that a lot with games, too many can have issues at launch, with bugs and crap. The Witcher 3 played flawlessly with med/high settings on my 6 year old system which at the time, had a GTX 750ti in it.
    Last edited by Ghostpanther; 2020-05-22 at 01:01 PM.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

I am halfway through and it's quite a good game, for sure. The combat is not the best thing ever, but it's serviceable to say the least (for my taste anyway) and I like that you can build quite distinct types of characters (gameplay-wise) that are effective and play differently. The biggest issue I have though is who to pick, Triss or Yen !? And no, I wouldn't go for both even if I didn't know what happens in such a case!

Since the game has been out for 5 years, can we admit it wasn't that great or is it still too soon ?

Quote Originally Posted by WoWIsThatAPotato View Post
    Since the game has been out for 5 years, can we admit it wasn't that great or is it still too soon ?
    You can admit w/e you want, it's easily one of my top 5 favorites and still well acclaimed by many.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

Quote Originally Posted by WoWIsThatAPotato View Post
    You're so offbase it's sickening, your opinion is wrong. Witcher 3 is probably the best game made for any system ever. Put anything up against it. I dare you.

By far one of my favorite open world RPGs.

Did complete the game in easy for the story 3 years ago ... Took me 37 hours. Think its time for a new run in harder with the dlc. So many great side Quest i have heard

The game is probably best piece of art in gaming industry. Music, story, graphics, background, it's all perfect and without the doubt pinaccle of aesthetic experience.

That said, the gameplay itself is average and there are RPGs that deliver more fun overall, better combat systems, better character customisation, more choices how to play the game, more interactive world etc. Biggest let down for me was that combat even on hardest mode was trivial and talents/gems/crafting system/alchemy were all clumsy, boring and tedious overall.

Art 11/10 (best there is on market), gameplay 6/10.

Is it ever not on 70% discount? Pretty sure it's been on sale at least 5 times this year alone on Steam.
    Your persistence of vision does not come without great sacrifice. Let go of the tangible mass of your mind, it is only an illusion. There is no escape.. For the soul burns on everlasting encapsulated within infinite time. A thousand year journey at the blink of an eye... Humanity is dust..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Schalde View Post
    Did complete the game in easy for the story 3 years ago ... Took me 37 hours. Think its time for a new run in harder with the dlc. So many great side Quest i have heard
    I put close to 200 hours in it and still did not explore all the areas and many side quests I never got to. The two DLC's have a ton of content in them. The last one, has more content than some full games.

pls pls just go watch a recap video on the first 2 games story,and go play witcher 3,you rly are missing out,the world is amazing,the story is great,the systems,has probably the best dlc of any rpg,the characters feel great and alive,and for once in an rpg the main story is actualy good,it puts other games like elder scrolls to shame (granted thats not rly hard to do)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by melzas View Post
    The game is probably best piece of art in gaming industry. Music, story, graphics, background, it's all perfect and without the doubt pinaccle of aesthetic experience.

That said, the gameplay itself is average and there are RPGs that deliver more fun overall, better combat systems, better character customisation, more choices how to play the game, more interactive world etc. Biggest let down for me was that combat even on hardest mode was trivial and talents/gems/crafting system/alchemy were all clumsy, boring and tedious overall.

Art 11/10 (best there is on market), gameplay 6/10.
    i wish it was more diverse in its settings and gameplay like dragon age inquisition,but i still consider witcher 3 a better game overall

Quote Originally Posted by Pebrocks The Warlock View Post
    One of my favorite games with the worse horse imaginable.
    Don't you dare talk bad about Roach!

Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    Don't you dare talk bad about Roach!
    When he stops getting stuck on everything then I will!
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

Quote Originally Posted by Feeline10 View Post
    You're so offbase it's sickening, your opinion is wrong. Witcher 3 is probably the best game made for any system ever. Put anything up against it. I dare you.
    I mean, I think I could but we would have to agree on a away to compare games between another.

I wonder if people don't overreact a bit, saying a game isn't that great doesn't forbid it to be good, or even great for that matter. There's a lot of things I've loved in this game (skellig <3), and a lot I didn't. The boring and imbalanced gameplay, the generic crafting and upgrade systems, the many, many fillers quests with disappointing, uninteresting or predictable outcomes, the hesistant or timid allegoric political comments, the often lackluster dialog options.
    I'd even argue the graphics aren't that great either, at least to me they look pretty generic and uninspired (although somewhat colorful, I guess).

I understand you can't judge a big open-world RPG with the same metrics than other games, and the genre is susceptible to period of fun drought or tedious parts. But still, apart from the main quest, I wasn't amazed.
    Last edited by WoWIsThatAPotato; 2020-05-23 at 08:52 AM.