Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Need advice on AQ40 and Naxx to help my guildies

Two questions:

The very last guild that clears Naxx before BC...where are they now? How fast are they clearing BWL, what kind of time commitment do they have to farming consumables, how stable is their roster?

And the same exact question for AQ40.

If you really feel like reading...

Coronavirus has screwed up my (guild's) plans royally.

I started a guild in January because I couldn't make any other guild's raid times on my server.

Recruited heavily during my planned raid times, after 8pm Pacific.

Coronavirus screwed everything up, I'm gonna be working nights now. So now I can't even attend my own guild's raids GDI.

So now I've got 750+ members (probably 100 active ones, 100 semi-active, and a dozen+ just hitting 60) and they're a good core, I've run social guilds before but things have gelled better than usual. They're good folks. But fact is all the really hardcore players started in August so Naxx isn't in the cards. We're barely doing ZG so it's doubtful that AQ40 is in the cards.

But what's the most I can do for them?

Again...what is the minimum possible bar to limp through AQ40 or Naxx? I just can't separate the fact that BWL is getting crushed under an hour from the reports that Naxx used to be so hard farming flasks shadow protection potions poaching warriors blah blah blah...what's the reality?

If I can get C'Thun that'd be a W, maybe even team up with another guild to get a few individuals carried through Naxx once in a while. But if I'm not gonna be able to get C'Thun, I might as well just tell people to go through BWL with another guild since that's all the further we'll get anyway.
    Raid bosses will always be very similar so long as encounter design requires DPS to always be pumping 100%.

Sorry , but if you cant clear AQ in classic. Mmo might just not be for you

Too much thought for something sto stupid, I cant believe some ppl are taking this cr*p so seriously..
    You log in, join a grp/make your own and you faceroll the boring content, simple.
    Repeat until you realise classis is a boring waste ;D

Quote Originally Posted by ArenaDk View Post
    It's not retail where you log in and get an epic.
    Raid bosses will always be very similar so long as encounter design requires DPS to always be pumping 100%.

3+ Year Old Account
    Screw the consumables, just gear up in BWL, watch a few guides in advance and clear everything. These raids are too easy. Classic is too easy, so forget about that nonsense called "world buffs" and "consumables".

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by never Lucky View Post
    Too much thought for something sto stupid, I cant believe some ppl are taking this cr*p so seriously..
    You log in, join a grp/make your own and you faceroll the boring content, simple.
    Repeat until you realise classis is a boring waste ;D
    Someone's mad that Classic actually has players and isn't a ghost town

OT: Consumables aren't mandatory, I'd say the most you can do is read up on strategies and become familiar with them and you should be fine. C'Thun is probably the only *challenging* boss that requires some thought, but as long as you're geared he should go down if everyone plays properly. If you/the raid leader explain everything clearly and in detail, it should be relatively straight forward.

If you do find yourself struggling, then you can get overpowered world buffs with consumables to aid you further.

Quote Originally Posted by TJ View Post
    Someone's mad that Classic actually has players and isn't a ghost town
    But he is somewhat right, the most amount of time people will spend in AQ is travelling and the bosses will be very very easy for most guilds.

Quote Originally Posted by garicasha View Post
    But it'ss classic where the raid will be cleared in 1 or at most 2 hours.

Just tackle it as you do any raid, Buffs will be a nice addition and consumables who got and really wants to use them, normally you shouldn't need them.
    Last edited by Muh; 2020-05-23 at 11:21 AM.

The only thing that comes to mind preparation wise would be nature res gear for AQ.

Well, he is basically asking how much bwl/mc gear you need for aq. And you certainly need some, because you won't be doing it in pre raid BiS, heck even BWL is quite tough without MC gear, especially for the healers (pre raid has iterally 0 int).

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    You don't need much gear for AQ, nor do you need much nature resistance. People do realize that less than half the raid needs nature resistance in the first place, right? Random green rings and a trinket from Maraudon might be all you need, if that. If so inclined you can pop a nature resistance potion prior to pulling Huhuran, and then pop another one as you proceed to kill the boss in less than two minute anyway.

There's a reason AQ was given the title of tier 2.5, and the 0.5 part of that's important. Health and scaling wise, the difficulty of the raid fits somewhere between MC and BWL, and doesn't really surpass BWL until you hit Twin Emperors. If you can blast most of the bosses in BWL with relative ease, you're going to be blasting nearly every boss in AQ40 with relative ease.

Is AQ40 harder than previous raids? Yeah, but people telling you "Lol it's classic" aren't exactly wrong either. The content is incredibly easy and the worst guilds might have to take like a dozen tries on the maybe two difficult bosses in there? That progression cycle compared to live isn't enough to really ruffle anybodies feathers and if it is, there's plenty of guilds out there you can join.

The shittiest part of classic is that world buffs actually exist and it's more or less what's expected of people. If you for whatever reason have a problem with bosses, you can literally ask your raid to scoop up world buffs prior to your raid starting and stomp your way through any relevant content. Same with consumables. When I did this 15 years ago nobody used world buffs, the amount of consumables people used were minimal at best, and the only flasks being used in a raid were on a couple of tanks each week at best (until Naxxarmas).

I still laugh at the comment that you login to retail and get epics handed to you. Anybody who breaths upon hitting 60 can enter Molten Core and get epics literally handed to you.

I play both versions and AQ is literally going to feel like normal mode at best when it launches.

Jesus Christ people like you... “are you not good at this thing that I think you should be good at? Don’t play then”

I don’t think you should be playing mmos tbh

Who needs epics when green / blue quest items are BIS even in naxx ?

Also colour really doesn’t matter lol. Good gear is good gear , bad gear is bad no matter if epic or blue

It's literally is. It's even EASIER than retail.

A Molten Core clear gives ~25 items + some belts and bracers, divided 40 ways, once a week, or about half an item per player per week.

Antorus had 11 bosses which I believe dropped 2 items each, and we'll count heroic and mythic divided among 20 players, for about 2 items per player per week...without even counting normal mode or mythic+ dungeons.

That's four times as many items and also much more flexibility in filling a gap in itemization through Mythic+.

But that's kinda off the point...

I mean if a raid rolls in to AQ40 without a lot of BWL gear aren't they gonna get wrecked? In a different raid group I'm in we just had Nefarian hose a T2 tank during the warrior class call from 7300->0 with a shadowflame. Something tells me Fankriss in greens and blues wouldn't be that much fun.
    Last edited by garicasha; 2020-05-23 at 05:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    You don't need much gear for AQ, nor do you need much nature resistance. People do realize that less than half the raid needs nature resistance in the first place, right? Random green rings and a trinket from Maraudon might be all you need, if that. If so inclined you can pop a nature resistance potion prior to pulling Huhuran, and then pop another one as you proceed to kill the boss in less than two minute anyway.

There's a reason AQ was given the title of tier 2.5, and the 0.5 part of that's important. Health and scaling wise, the difficulty of the raid fits somewhere between MC and BWL, and doesn't really surpass BWL until you hit Twin Emperors. If you can blast most of the bosses in BWL with relative ease, you're going to be blasting nearly every boss in AQ40 with relative ease.

Is AQ40 harder than previous raids? Yeah, but people telling you "Lol it's classic" aren't exactly wrong either. The content is incredibly easy and the worst guilds might have to take like a dozen tries on the maybe two difficult bosses in there? That progression cycle compared to live isn't enough to really ruffle anybodies feathers and if it is, there's plenty of guilds out there you can join.

The shittiest part of classic is that world buffs actually exist and it's more or less what's expected of people. If you for whatever reason have a problem with bosses, you can literally ask your raid to scoop up world buffs prior to your raid starting and stomp your way through any relevant content. Same with consumables. When I did this 15 years ago nobody used world buffs, the amount of consumables people used were minimal at best, and the only flasks being used in a raid were on a couple of tanks each week at best (until Naxxarmas).

I still laugh at the comment that you login to retail and get epics handed to you. Anybody who breaths upon hitting 60 can enter Molten Core and get epics literally handed to you.

I play both versions and AQ is literally going to feel like normal mode at best when it launches.

Math is hard...
    MC = 1.0
    BWL = 2.0
    AQ = 2.5
    Naxx = 3.0

See how gear is between BWL and Naxx

And no the gear budget is a huge jump from bwl.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Classic literally just does tank damage 95% of the time. One of the biggest reasons 'some' people wipe in classic is because you have healers who are used to topping people off, and then the tank dies. Classic largely has very little lethal raid damage that needs to be dealt with in a timely manner.

TLDR; healers trying to parse in classic and the tank explodes

Tanking in classic means youre at the mercy of healers and how much you decide to farn consumes.

At least 15 melee/hunters/tanks should collect a nature resist set.

If you roll in with sub-50 nature resist the 15 closest players to Princess Huhuran will take 3,000 nature damage every 2 seconds below 30%. It's not really healable unless you have full world buffs and a bunch of warriors and kill her in 5 seconds.

You'll also want at least two players, probably warlocks, to collect a shadow resistance set to tank Emperor Vek'lor. 4500 shadow damage every 1 second is a bit much with 30 resistance.
    Last edited by Nitros14; 2020-05-23 at 06:21 PM.

The Patient
    15+ Year Old Account
    Start doing mc and zg to progress into bwl. Encourage world buffs. You might not clear naxx first week or even first month but if you guys get going you'll do it eventually. Tell your melee and hunters to start getting nature resist gear.

In a different raid group I'm in we just had Nefarian hose a T2 tank during the warrior class call from 7300->0 with a shadowflame. Something tells me Fankriss in greens and blues wouldn't be that much fun.
    A greater shadow protection potion would have likely prevented this.

Quote Originally Posted by Break The Ice View Post
    A greater shadow protection potion would have likely prevented this.
    What if you get two warrior calls within 2 minutes? That's four calls, pretty good odds.

- - - Updated - - -

I mean if a raid rolls in to AQ40 without a lot of BWL gear aren't they gonna get wrecked? In a different raid group I'm in we just had Nefarian hose a T2 tank during the warrior class call from 7300->0 with a shadowflame. Something tells me Fankriss in greens and blues wouldn't be that much fun.
    Nefarian's base melee damage is 4,924. You don't need to be too scared of Fankriss his base melee damage is 3,892. Ouro's melee damage is 9,192 before mitigation and he gets a 200% attack speed buff. Emperor Vek'nilash's base melee damage is 5,835 and he'll hit for 350% weapon damage and reduce defence skill by 100 with unbalancing strike so that's probably the scariest tank damage in the instance.

Naxxramas is when things start to hit pretty hard. For example Sapphiron's base melee damage is 12,258, enough to gib a tank with a crit or crush. Maexxna's base damage is 9,727 and she'll frenzy for 75% more damage and 100% attack speed.
    Last edited by Nitros14; 2020-05-23 at 06:33 PM.