Quote Originally Posted by Witchblade77 View Post
    Ellie was main character in last of us, the way Ciri was main character in Witcher 3. as in, someone important to the narrative that you get to control for a short period of time, but the actual primary playable character and face of the game was Joel (or Geralt in Witcher).
    Hell if we're talking about "main characters" that you don't play as for most of the game then Emil is a "main character" in Nier Replicant and a boss you can kill in Nier Automata. Of course that guy doesn't know that because he doesn't even realize Automata is a sequel to Replicant so he likely had no idea who the fuck Emil was.

Not sure why people who never played Nier try to jump in like experts on the comparison and criticize that guy for it when it's true and destroyed their entire stance.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2020-05-23 at 03:29 AM.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I figured some people would try to find any excuse to double down on it, part of the reason I didn't respond.

It's telling that the main excuse they can find is "but she wasn't in the previous game", never mind the fact she had more screentime and popularity than Joel by far, by the time you reach the point where The Thing happens.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I thought we have already figured out the Dramatic Theory 101...

But here we go again. Ellie was the Main Character of TLOU as much as Joel was (if not more because she was the core of the story). It was a story about her and Joel. It is not required at all to control the Main Character in the game, but we did for some time and that made her the hero (we kicked some ass) and the protagonist (she grew). 3 in 1. just like Joel.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Witchblade77 View Post
    Ellie was main character in last of us, the way Ciri was main character in Witcher 3. as in, someone important to the narrative that you get to control for a short period of time, but the actual primary playable character and face of the game was Joel (or Geralt in Witcher).
    Not really, no. Ellie is right next to the player controlled joel for near the whole game barring the intro part and the hospital, and when she's not your given direct control.

Ciri is not quite that central to the experience of Witcher 3. Geralt may be looking for her in the story, but that game has huge several dozen hours long portions where Ciri is not right next to Geralt following him around.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post
    Not really, no. Ellie is right next to the player controlled joel for near the whole game barring the intro part and the hospital, and when she's not your given direct control.

Ciri is not quite that central to the experience of Witcher 3. Geralt may be looking for her in the story, but that game has huge several dozen hours long portions where Ciri is not right next to Geralt following him around.
    Without Ellie there is not point in TLOU story. Just like without Ciri there's no point in Witcher3 story. Thus both are Main Characters. Ciri like Ellie is also the protagonist and the hero.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

For a thread that is not titled spoilers it has a damn load of spoilers. Even getting spoilers for older games now like nier let alone hacked info for a game not even out.

I heard Black Widow the new marvel movie with a female lead has her beating up men. Better go over to the marvel thread and get mad there and spoil the other 23 marvel films to try reinforce your weak arguments

Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    For a thread that is not titled spoilers it has a damn load of spoilers. Even getting spoilers for older games now like nier let alone hacked info for a game not even out.

I heard Black Widow the new marvel movie with a female lead has her beating up men. Better go over to the marvel thread and get mad there and spoil the other 23 marvel films to try reinforce your weak arguments
    Here's a massive spoiler for you: when you click on threads about games you haven't played yet there are going to be spoilers. That one should save you a lot of grief in the future.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

Quote Originally Posted by oplawlz View Post
    Here's a massive spoiler for you: when you click on threads about games you haven't played yet there are going to be spoilers. That one should save you a lot of grief in the future.
    Oh wow such logic! I never thought of it that way. Tell me oh great one. How does one play a game not released?

So, we're talking about Joel being a hero? I dunno. I hear that David fella was quite a hero. Kept his group from starvin'.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    Oh wow such logic! I never thought of it that way. Tell me oh great one. How does one play a game not released?
    Let's try a more sensible question: How does one not click on threads for things one does not want spoilers for?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

Quote Originally Posted by oplawlz View Post
    Let's try a more sensible question: How does one not click on threads for things one does not want spoilers for?
    I'm well aware people think knowing something others are likely to not know act like an 8 year old on Christmas eve wanting to open thier presents and want to spoil it. Just like you'll see spoilers for the latest star wars movie on a cooking channel comment section on youtube. There's a certain degree of risking spoilers by interacting on the Internet in general let alone specific threads. Doesn't mean I can't call them out on thier shitty behaviour

Quote Originally Posted by Dead Moose Fandango View Post
    So, we're talking about Joel being a hero? I dunno. I hear that David fella was quite a hero. Kept his group from starvin'.
    Because hero has 2 very similar yet different meanings:
    1. a person, especially a man, who is admired by many people for doing something brave or good

2. the main male character in a story, novel, movie, etc.

https://www.oxfordlearnersdictionari...n_english/hero

Joel is a number 2, not a number 1. Pun intended.
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    I'm fine with a mafia. Of course, the mafia families often worked with independent third parties in order to maintain relations.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Nier Automata is a direct sequel to Nier Replicant. You can keep digging that hole if you want but it's obvious you know nothing about Nier
    and your knowledge of TLOU is sketchy at best if you think Ellie was the main character you play as in the game.
    Then you don't know what a direct sequel is, and the game's wiki proves it.

It's an indirect sequel, meaning that the game takes place in the same universe, and might even share some characters from previous installments, but overall is it's own standalone thing and doesn't require a play through of previous titles to grasp.
    Last edited by Skorpionss; 2020-05-24 at 01:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Skorpionss View Post
    Then you don't know what a direct sequel is, and the game's wiki proves it.

It's an indirect sequel, meaning that the game takes place in the same universe, and might even share some characters from previous installments, but overall is it's own standalone thing and doesn't require a play through of previous titles to grasp.
    "Same universe" No the game takes place in the same exact world directly after the events of Nier Replicant where the human race went extinct. Direct sequel and nothing in the game's wiki page even says it's an "indirect sequel" which is just some term you pulled out the buttocks. Just because you never played the first Nier or any other Drakengard game and don't understand the time skips in the narrative doesn't make it some "only in same universe" bs or w/e you want to claim. Also without playing replicant there is a lot of shit you won't grasp in Automata so don't come with that bs either. I'm not even sure if you played Automata let alone any other games in the franchise when you come with statements like this.

Anyways back on topic of TLOU, long breakdown tomorrow with the state of play. Review embargo lifts an entire week before games release showing confidence in the product(lol at people who thought reviews would bomb). Oh and also game is long: https://twitter.com/GenePark/status/1265305774332542982 so anyone claiming they know the entire story based off a tiny portion of the game is caught with egg on their face once again when the game took an entire holiday weekend of binging to complete.

10+ Year Old Account
    "Same universe" No the game takes place in the same exact world directly after the events of Nier Replicant where the human race went extinct. Direct sequel and nothing in the game's wiki page even says it's an "indirect sequel" which is just some term you pulled out the buttocks. Just because you never played the first Nier or any other Drakengard game and don't understand the time skips in the narrative doesn't make it some "only in same universe" bs or w/e you want to claim. Also without playing replicant there is a lot of shit you won't grasp in Automata so don't come with that bs either. I'm not even sure if you played Automata let alone any other games in the franchise when you come with statements like this.

Anyways back on topic of TLOU, long breakdown tomorrow with the state of play. Review embargo lifts an entire week before games release showing confidence in the product(lol at people who thought reviews would bomb). Oh and also game is long: https://twitter.com/GenePark/status/1265305774332542982 so anyone claiming they know the entire story based off a tiny portion of the game is caught with egg on their face once again when the game took an entire holiday weekend of binging to complete.
    NieR RepliCant continues off the fifth ending from the game Drakengard. An indirect sequel, titled NieR:Automata, was released on February 2017 in Japan, and March 2017 worldwide.

Folks, if you want to discuss direct/indirect sequels, do so in another thread. This isn't the thread to discuss Nier games in. Thanks.

https://twitter.com/PlayStation/stat...31429936021507

So both Sony and Naughty Dog have been putting out sketchy DMCA takedowns of people even talking about the leaks -including one case where they accidentally DMCA'd someone who looked like a certain golf enthusiast- and today Sony actually DMCA'd their own Last of Us promotional content.

I feel like this game is under a Curse of some kind.

Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    https://twitter.com/PlayStation/stat...31429936021507

So both Sony and Naughty Dog have been putting out sketchy DMCA takedowns of people even talking about the leaks -including one case where they accidentally DMCA'd someone who looked like a certain golf enthusiast- and today Sony actually DMCA'd their own Last of Us promotional content.

I feel like this game is under a Curse of some kind.
    Looking at the responses, no wonder they locked down comments on YouTube and their more recent tweets. Holy shit those are garage of the highest order.

It's possible they unintentionally took their own image down, but without more information we can't say whether or not they "DMCA'd themselves" or not.

That TLOU2 sub with 8k subs, which seems to be where this information came from today, is hot-garbage and you should avoid that. Unless your point is to just rag on the game because outrage is fun or something. Like, it's the literal embodiment of exactly why Sony/ND started restricting comment access on their posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Looking at the responses, no wonder they locked down comments on YouTube and their more recent tweets. Holy shit those are garage of the highest order.

It's possible they unintentionally took their own image down, but without more information we can't say whether or not they "DMCA'd themselves" or not.

That TLOU2 sub with 8k subs, which seems to be where this information came from today, is hot-garbage and you should avoid that. Unless your point is to just rag on the game because outrage is fun or something. Like, it's the literal embodiment of exactly why Sony/ND started restricting comment access on their posts.
    You're talking to a guy who complained TLOU was an easy game and linked a trophy for beating it on survivor when the highest difficulty is grounded.

Yea, he totally doesn't have an agenda against the game. Of course he is going to read garbage like that to try to validate his own opinion that he formed in his head before the leaks even existed.

Edge what's your over under on how many "LUL PAID REVIEWS" posts we get in this thread on June 12th?

You're talking to a guy who complained TLOU was an easy game and linked a trophy for beating it on survivor when the highest difficulty is grounded.

Yea, he totally doesn't have an agenda against the game. Of course he is going to read garbage like that to try to validate his own opinion that he formed in his head before the leaks even existed.

Edge what's your over under on how many "LUL PAID REVIEWS" posts we get in this thread on June 12th?
    Also lets face it "sketchy DMCA"

Is code word for "Company didnt let me use their footage or naming rights for their lucrative IP for my video" Like its their god given right to be able to make "content" about it on youtube or social media. Actually no, streaming is a service that has long flirted with that line of copyright for far to long and its not a surprise more and more company's crack down on it more because it not only effects bottom line but is also just a flat out headache where any idiot can attach a headline to your IP even though they are not hired by or represent your company in any way.

But alas its 2020 and we're still going strong with same old defensive mechanisms of "white female hero stronk" and "white men bad" narrative and I must look for this in everything! And even make my living off of it because people click it like catnip. Even for a video game where 90% of it is gonna be killing zombies and scavengers
    Comes a time when we all gotta die...even kings.