Page 1 of 11
... LastLast

Returning Player getting "Overwhelmed"

So i came back a Week ago after i took a break Shortly before the Eternal Palace Patch (8.2 - 8.2.5 i think)

And i totally got overwhelmed with all the stuff i have to do to get back into the Game (cleared BoD on Mythic aswell as pushed ~20keys)

Ranking up Essences takes so fucking long (5 Weeks for Conflict and Strive if your Arena rating is under 1600 and i cant manage to break the 1600 and it would still take 3 Weeks, yeah i suck at PvP, but never had that much trouble getting to 1600)

I'm kinda lucky i have a friend that carried me through my 15+ Key for the Weekly Chest aswell as Nya'Lotha HC with his Guild, but still since 1 1/2 Weeks i'm doing nothing else than Dailys (Yay Lucid Dreams is pretty much mandatory for Fire).

Or am i Missing something, since if not the New player Experience in BfA is utter Garbage, no Wonder WoW dosnt get any New Players :S

yep pretty much. me and some friends came back and spent a month or so just doing dailies, flying, essence farming before we could even try to arena. now we are farming for the best corruptions

10+ Year Old Account
    Lucky for you, catching-up is decently easy now.

Most of the chores today take less time than they did back when the content was current. So it's not all bad.

I would say that it' still a pretty lame experience though. Consider yourself lucky you got your friend carrying you all over, most players probably don't have that boon.

Now there is an additional grind on top of all this: echoes of nyalotha so you can purchase the corruptions you need.
    And you have to farm about a million HVisions to rank up your cloak as well.
    Of cource access to HV is time gated behind daily quests because why it wouldn't be

Up until (and including) Cataclysm there were no such bullshit systems in place. There were legendary questlines that took a long time to finish but it was for one player in the guild. Not for EVERYONE having to take such a monumental grind. I hit level 85, farmed some valor points, purchased some starter gear, then joined my guild farm raid and got boosted (since most of us didn't needed the drops at this point) and there ya go, character ready for progression. Now this isn't very possible. Even if you unlock your essences you need MONTHS of grinding to max out cloak and obtain strong corruptions.

Quote Originally Posted by pr0fite View Post
    Ranking up Essences takes so fucking long (5 Weeks for Conflict and Strive if your Arena rating is under 1600 and i cant manage to break the 1600 and it would still take 3 Weeks, yeah i suck at PvP, but never had that much trouble getting to 1600)
    PvP is generally a shitfest if you don't have the right gear loadout. I don't envy anyone grinding for C&S at the moment as you're going to get slaughtered over and over by anyone who already grinded their gear/essences.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hold out until Shadowlands, thats when the new player experience(At least IMO) will not be as well "Going up a mountain."
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pr0fite View Post
    So i came back a Week ago after i took a break Shortly before the Eternal Palace Patch (8.2 - 8.2.5 i think)

And i totally got overwhelmed with all the stuff i have to do to get back into the Game (cleared BoD on Mythic aswell as pushed ~20keys)

I'm kinda lucky i have a friend that carried me through my 15+ Key for the Weekly Chest aswell as Nya'Lotha HC with his Guild, but still since 1 1/2 Weeks i'm doing nothing else than Dailys (Yay Lucid Dreams is pretty much mandatory for Fire).

Or am i Missing something, since if not the New player Experience in BfA is utter Garbage, no Wonder WoW dosnt get any New Players :S
    ok... 5 weeks to get something you will not replace till the end of the expansion is actually suoper good, and its literally just do an hour every week for 5 weeks, also as you said it gets lower if you get higher, but you arnt good enough to...
    why do you need conflict and strife if your having to get carried through content?
    "No wonder wow doesnty get any new players" what are you bloody on about?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zeusy View Post
    yep pretty much. me and some friends came back and spent a month or so just doing dailies, flying, essence farming before we could even try to arena. now we are farming for the best corruptions
    Sounds like your bois are bad, my friend came back after having been gone since early 8.1 and got flying in a week, and most of the essences he needed in 2.
    Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    My ideas are objectively good

lucid dreams isn't that bad, it's just 2 weeks now isn't it? probably less if you do the tree bark thing every week too.

conflict and strife is one of the worse ones, but just be glad you don't have to do the honor one. and you get like 60% of the effect at rank2 so it's not all bad.

and really, just be really really glad you don't have to do ~25 visions anymore to get your cloak to lvl 15. and AP farm is non existant now.

like honestly, it always takes 2-3 weeks to catch up.

3+ Year Old Account
    what's the alternative? getting everything handed to you immediately that took other players months to get and then blasting through the current content, 2 weeks later saying there's nothing to do?

Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    ok... 5 weeks to get something you will not replace till the end of the expansion is actually suoper good, and its literally just do an hour every week for 5 weeks, also as you said it gets lower if you get higher, but you arnt good enough to...
    why do you need conflict and strife if your having to get carried through content?
    "No wonder wow doesnty get any new players" what are you bloody on about?

- - - Updated - - -

Sounds like your bois are bad, my friend came back after having been gone since early 8.1 and got flying in a week, and most of the essences he needed in 2.
    Just very limited game time. They play like 2 hours a day 3 times a week basically. In cata would only log in to do 3s then they would log out.

Also interesting, breath of dying and lucid dreams both take 3 weeks iirc so doing it in 2 is quite the feat
    Last edited by Zeusy; 2020-05-24 at 02:47 PM.

God help any new comers that decide to be a collector at this point... with the absolute multitudes of RNG.

Quote Originally Posted by KOUNTERPARTS View Post
    For me the catch up mechanisms weren't the issue. I went during the first raid tier and came back a few weeks ago.

Let me stress I don't want this to come across as "theres to much to do!" rant. But I found while it was a decent chunk of stuff to do, there was absolutely no clear direction to go. I was bombarded with quests on log in, I found myself doing one thing, then being ripped away to do the sunken city content w/e its called. But then I found out I had a core mechanism missing that was achieved before that patch. I found out what it was called and read up on it on wiki, but again, no clear way on where to find it and start with it.

I think the best word I can think of trying to navigate everything was suffocating. It just put me off wanting to do any of the story
    Desktop: Zotac 1080 TI, I7 7700k, 16gb Ram, 256gb SSD + 1TB HDD
    Laptop: Zotac 2070 MaxQ, I7 8750, 32gb RAM, 500gb SSD + 2TB SSD
    Main Game: Warcraft Classic

Haters gonna hate

Quote Originally Posted by enigma77 View Post
    what's the alternative? getting everything handed to you immediately that took other players months to get and then blasting through the current content, 2 weeks later saying there's nothing to do?
    The alternative is not having 1000 timegates. I'd rather play for 10 hours straight and have what I need than playing 1h every week for 5 weeks to have have I need.

I've got every essence at rank 3+, max lvl cloak and for the most part good corruptions. I'd be more than happy if they removed every timegate they have in BFA because then I'd actually be able to play alts.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeusy View Post
    Just very limited game time. They play like 2 hours a day 3 times a week basically. In cata would only log in to do 3s then they would log out.

Also interesting, breath of dying and lucid dreams both take 3 weeks iirc so doing it in 2 is quite the feat
    idk if you know, but you dont NEED breath of the dying and lucid dreams.

also you can get rank 3 of lucid dreams in far less then 3 weeks.

1. your dailies
    2. rares for the hand in items
    3. your bark
    4. murloc vendor
    5. glimmering chest farming

you can get rank 4 in 6 weeks if you do decent. i have seen some do it in 5.

rank 4 requires 27,000 exp.
    rank 3 requires 3000

lets actually grab a math. so

Week 1-
    day 1- 300 exp from dailies- 50 from crab leg- 50 from crab leg- 50 from fathom ray wing- 50 from eel filet- 60 from reefwalker bark- 60 from another reefwalker bark- 300 from ancient reefwalker bark- 75 from hermit crab - 450 from naga orders

End day 1 with 1445, meaning you already have rank 1, and rank 2.

day 2- 300 exp from dailies 50 from crab leg- 50 from fathom ray wing- 50 from eel fillet- 60 from reefwalker bark

End day 2 with 1955

Day 3- 300 exp from dailies 50 from crab leg- 50 from fathom ray wing- 50 from eel fillet- 60 from reefwalker bark

end day 3 with 2465

day 4- 300 exp from dailies 50 from crab leg- 50 from fathom ray wing- 50 from eel fillet- 60 from reefwalker bark

end day 4 with 2975

day 5- do 1 daily, or grab 1 hand in rep item, and boom 3000 rep, you now have rank 3 lucid dreams.

oh look day 5, not week 3 like you say....
    (Also if your day 1 is on a monday, you can do that all again the next day, meaning you could get it done in 2 or 3 days, as long as you do this just before and after a weekly reset, as the ancient reefwalker, and the naga orders are weekly)

i mean if you do JUST your dailies maybe it may take 3 weeks, as the above assumes you kill a few rares every day...

300 exp a day... you need 3000 exp... that means.. 10 days... i didnt know 3 weeks was 10 days mate....

maybe learn to math?

3 weeks to get 3000 exp, when you get 300 exp a day? you serious mate? 300x10=3000 not 300x21=3000
    Last edited by FelPlague; 2020-05-24 at 04:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KOUNTERPARTS View Post
    Catching up for alts is easy. For everyone else your pretty much stuck for over a month in the essence,azerite,corruption farm

Too much relevent content its overwhelming? Sounds like a good issue to have.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrod View Post
    It's not, because gear doesn't really matter. What matters is your cloak (gated by dailies), your essences (also heavily gated), and your corruptions (RNG).

Essences are easily the worst of these. The progression path goes:

Level: maybe 6 or 7 hours
    Farm essences: 1 month of playing several hours a day, or 2-3 months if you take your time.
    Cloak: 4-6 weeks or so, but doesn't take a lot of time each week.

If you're a new character, essences are just waaayyy over the top. It feels like the entire game is essences for most of your catch up time.
    It does not take 2-3 months to obtain 4 essences at rank 3...
    It does not even take 1 month
    Most of them take 1-3 weeks.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Laughingjack View Post
    Catching up for alts is easy. For everyone else your pretty much stuck for over a month in the essence,azerite,corruption farm
    Essences take less then a month, corruptions are not required, and you will get those passively. And same with azerite, it will just happen as your doing content. I literally quit live to play alpha and classic. And I'm still just by doing my daily emissaries and weekly island round at level 91 neck.

It does not take 2-3 months to obtain 4 essences at rank 3...
    It does not even take 1 month
    Most of them take 1-3 weeks.

- - - Updated - - -

Essences take less then a month, corruptions are not required, and you will get those passively. And same with azerite, it will just happen as your doing content. I literally quit live to play alpha and classic. And I'm still just by doing my daily emissaries and weekly island round at level 91 neck.
    People that do the bare minimum, never bother to look up a guide; and have no real interest to put in work will take a long time. For everyone else it’s pretty fast.

corruptions are not required
    By this logic, nothing is required.