Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Drusin View Post
    I never turn my PC off, they run months just fine. Being on windows I inevitably have to restart it though, but off? Never. No point, and I have had ZERO issues in the 17 years I've owned my own PC.

- - - Updated - - -

Negligible to the point of irrelevance. My bill is like $150 a month.
    My gaming PC pulls ~80W at the wall when "idle". Thats about 2 kWh/24 hrs (1920 wH to be exact) if i left it on. At 18c/kWh around here, thats 36c a day, times an average of 30 days..

Thats 10$

Thats not an insignificant amount of money. Its not irrelevant to a lot of people, either.

Im certainly not just going to take 10$ out of my wallet and light it on fire.

With a good SSD, my gaming rig boots up, to a usable desktop, in 14 seconds give or take.

Im usually not even firmly seated before its ready to use.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    Well I was 15 or so when I first installed Windows on my very first computer and it asked for a computer name. (didn't have a clue about home networks etc back then)
    After staring at the screen in confusion for a few minutes I named her "Yuna" b/c I had a crush on a certain video game character.
    Now, 19 years later, that's still the name of my desktop computer.
    Mine are all "Something Girl". I think i picked it up from Strongbad cartoons, and it just stuck.

My current one is the "Shifty Girl" because its built into a Phanteks Evolv Shift.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    My gaming PC pulls ~80W at the wall when "idle". Thats about 2 kWh/24 hrs (1920 wH to be exact) if i left it on. At 18c/kWh around here, thats 36c a day, times an average of 30 days..

Thats 10$

Thats not an insignificant amount of money. Its not irrelevant to a lot of people, either.

Im certainly not just going to take 10$ out of my wallet and light it on fire.

With a good SSD, my gaming rig boots up, to a usable desktop, in 14 seconds give or take.

Im usually not even firmly seated before its ready to use.

- - - Updated - - -

Mine are all "Something Girl". I think i picked it up from Strongbad cartoons, and it just stuck.

My current one is the "Shifty Girl" because its built into a Phanteks Evolv Shift.
    To each their own, idc about $10

Also it isn't just "start up time" it's setup time as well. I usually have 8 or 9 programs running constantly and I don't want to have to start up each of them and for the ones where it's relevant also open all the files I'm working on.
    Last edited by Drusin; 2020-05-24 at 06:46 AM.
    My Collection
    - Bring back my damn zoom distance/MoP Portals - I read OP minimum, 1st page maximum-make wow alt friendly again -Please post constructively(topkek) -Kill myself

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I never turn my PC off, they run months just fine. Being on windows I inevitably have to restart it though, but off? Never. No point, and I have had ZERO issues in the 17 years I've owned my own PC.

- - - Updated - - -

Negligible to the point of irrelevance. My bill is like $150 a month.
    I can only imagine what the inside of your computer looks like. lol! But it's your computer and maybe you have no issues based on how you use it. Does not mean someone else wouldn't under different circumstances. *shrugs.

$150 a month is not irrelevant. Depends on where you live, your income and whatnot. That would be high for myself, as mine rarely exceeds $120 a month. But I have my own 3 bedroom home and lots of stuff running. But it is your money. Your choice if you want to waste it by leaving your computer on all the time.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

Mine is shut down when I leave the house and go to sleep. No point running it when I'm not using it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    I can only imagine what the inside of your computer looks like. lol! But it's your computer and maybe you have no issues based on how you use it. Does not mean someone else wouldn't under different circumstances. *shrugs.

$150 a month is not irrelevant. Depends on where you live, your income and whatnot. That would be high for myself, as mine rarely exceeds $120 a month. But I have my own 3 bedroom home and lots of stuff running. But it is your money. Your choice if you want to waste it by leaving your computer on all the time.
    worth it, to not have to restart and reopen shit, think of it as an annoyance free tax lol, also you don't need to turn your computer off to clean it.
    Last edited by Drusin; 2020-05-24 at 08:01 PM.
    My Collection
    - Bring back my damn zoom distance/MoP Portals - I read OP minimum, 1st page maximum-make wow alt friendly again -Please post constructively(topkek) -Kill myself

I never shut it down so no idea. Maybe months ago when power went out?

Quote Originally Posted by CcB View Post
    $10 every bill is an extra $120 per year. Your PC boots in about 10 seconds.
    worth it, to not have to restart and reopen shit, think of it as an annoyance free tax lol
    My Collection

About 6 years ago. No sleep mode, it is constantly on.

There has been moments of power outages. PC randomly off when I return, but I never shut it down.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    worth it, to not have to restart and reopen shit, think of it as an annoyance free tax lol, also you don't need to turn your computer off to clean it.
    Maybe you don't, but I am not about to open my computer up and blow it out with a can of compressed air and have all that dust floating around inside my home. I take mine out on the deck and do it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by joebob42 View Post
    Yes there is. Unless you use your PC solely as a gaming console, you will be utilizing sleep mode to keep you in the middle of what you were doing.

My system has 64GB of RAM, so hibernate is not really an option. I have many windows open at all times, and not everything has an easy restore function to get back to where I was. Sure, web browsers do, but windows explorer won't reopen all of the folders I had up. I don't shut any of that down even when I'm playing WoW, so I really hate rebooting my PC. I only do it when I absolutely must.

- - - Updated - - -

I have two high-end workstations running* 24/7, and my total electric bill was $65 this month (including my AC which is set at 70F when we've been having 85+ weather).

*"Running" includes S3 when not in use, which is practically "off".
    Like I stated in my post, the cost for running a computer all the time, will vary depending on where you live and one's own personal budget. Also, depends a lot on many other factors, such as the size of your home/apartment, other devices, etc. Maybe it would be only $45 a month without those two work stations running all the time.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

23 days, probably updates before that were installed.

Honestly baffled by all the comments "what's the point of leaving it running" - Windows doesn't has sleep or something? Draws less than 1 watt of energy per hour (0.98 w for 2015 macbook pro, 2018 macbook air draws 0.3 w according to tests, so my 2018 mbp probably draws less than 0.98 w, but anyways), which amounts to 0,000864 eur per day (0,036 eur/kwh), oh wow. Or 32 cents per year. I can live with paying for 32 cents more per year for electicity............
    Last edited by ldev; 2020-05-27 at 10:20 PM.
    My nickname is "LDEV", not "idev". (both font clarification and ez bait)

yall im smh @ ur simplified english

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ldev View Post

23 days, probably updates before that were installed.

Honestly baffled by all the comments "what's the point of leaving it running" - Windows doesn't has sleep or something? Draws less than 1 watt of energy per hour (0.98 w for 2015 macbook pro, 2018 macbook air draws 0.3 w according to tests, so my 2018 mbp probably draws less than 0.98 w, but anyways), which amounts to 0,000864 eur per day (0,036 eur/kwh), oh wow. Or 32 cents per year. I can live with paying for 32 cents more per year for electicity............
    Windows does have sleep, but it takes roughly the same time to wake from sleep and from boot, and turning it off helps pretend issues, so why not?

My PC is on if I am awake and home, I shut it down if I am going to bed or leaving the house. I will also shut it down if it has been running some ungodly long time, like if I can't sleep and stay up on my PC all night and have the whole day ahead of me too, then I will shut it off mid-day for an hour or two and watch some TV or a movie or something to give it a break.

I know some people never turn their PCs off and claim to have no problem with that, I have a friend who never shuts his PCs off ever that I know of but I've never compared survival rates with him of his computer parts versus mine. All I know is that the longer any machine of any kind runs, the more chances it has of a part or component failing due to wear and tear.

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    Windows does have sleep, but it takes roughly the same time to wake from sleep and from boot, and turning it off helps pretend issues, so why not?
    Work continuation? I have final cut pro open with a project, or multiple terminals with rider and visual studio code launched and doing stuff. Go to sleep, wake up - continue work.
    My nickname is "LDEV", not "idev". (both font clarification and ez bait)

yall im smh @ ur simplified english

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    Lol! You have a name for your computer. That's cool.

Getting off topic some, but I have a old tractor ( 1959 Ford diesel ) I have had for decades and I use it a lot here on the homestead. I call it, Old Blue.

Back on topic, I think it really is good for a computer to be completely shut down and restarted occasionally even if you do not put it to sleep once a day.
    Clears up some memory issues and some programs running in the background which for some reason, never closed completely.
    Lol, I have a blue Acer Laptop that I bought about 12-13 years ago. It runs slow now, but it still runs, so my mom has been using it for basic browsing/e-mails/...
    I also call it 'old blue' (the laptop, not my mom).

On topic, I shut down my PC every night when I go to sleep, except if I need to download big stuff (which with Telenet in Belgium, is preferably done between 00:00 and 12:00).
    Asus ROG MAXIMUS XI CODE | Intel Core i9-9900k | 32GB RAM DDR4-3200 CL16 | ASUS RTX 2080 SUPER

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ldev View Post
    Work continuation? I have final cut pro open with a project, or multiple terminals with rider and visual studio code launched and doing stuff. Go to sleep, wake up - continue work.
    Save your work, turn off, turn on, continue work?

Whenever I am gone from my home for several hours, which is an increasingly rare thing with work-from-home and quarantine. However, it was off most of the day on saturday and sunday while moving.

Last night.
    My media server is going on for over a year now though.
    :::: AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d w/ NZXT Kraken Elite 240
    :::: MSI Meg X670E Tomahawk
    :::: 32gb G.Skill Trident Z5 6000mt/s CL36 DDR5
    :::: Samsung 512gb 960 PRO m.2 nvme ssd (OS), Samsung 1TB 950 EVO ssd
    :::: Nvidia RTX 3090 Founders Edition
    :::: Windows 11 Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    Booting up has never been as fast as waking from sleep. Especially when you consider that after booting up and logging in, windows still does take some time to start some programs and load various stuff up.

As for the "work" continuation - I can leave a game (or more) running, so that when I wake the pc up I don't have to wait for the game to load, and then to open a saved game.

Also, putting PC to sleep is often faster for me than shutting it down. Because for example sometimes I open a notepad to copy some text to, without saving. Shutting down means dealing with pesky "do you really want to exit without saving" dialogs.

You're saying turning pc off helps prevent issues. Well, they better make sure OS can handle sleep mode correctly, and there are no issues, because that's how I want to use my PC - when I turn it on I want to have everything as I had left it day earlier, within seconds. Oh wait, OSes already do that! That's the whole point of sleep mode.
    Last edited by procne; 2020-05-30 at 11:36 PM.
    I have enough of EA ruining great franchises and studios, forcing DRM and Origin on their games, releasing incomplete games only to sell day-1 DLCs or spill dozens of DLCs, and then saying it, and microtransactions, is what players want, stopping players from giving EA games poor reviews, as well as deflecting complaints with cheap PR tricks.

I'm not going to buy any game by EA as long as they continue those practices.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by procne View Post
    You're saying turning pc off helps prevent issues. Well, they better make sure OS can handle sleep mode correctly, and there are no issues, because that's how I want to use my PC - when I turn it on I want to have everything as I had left it day earlier, within seconds. Oh wait, OSes already do that! That's the whole point of sleep mode.
    Well yeah, it handles sleep right.. But that doesn't clear RAM. Which can cause issues.

10+ Year Old Account
    I find that I don't live my life at such a break-neck speed that I just can't wait for my computer to take the 20 requisite seconds to boot up.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.