Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Good for you...I just wonder why you still give Blizzard money after being adamant about how you will "will absolutely NOT play a game entirely designed around this".

Very confusing..you are limiting yourself - even from things that you by now would have gotten by playing the game incredibly casually. But at least now I can link to an actual living person whenever the discussion comes up how you are "forced" to get flying or other stuff

/thumbsup
    I just want to clarify something.

Is not that i hate to play the "waiting game" i dont mind waiting at all.
    BUT
    I do mind when Blizzard specifically tells me " Do THIS everyday until you reach the daily cap...wait...do it again tomorrow until you reach the cap...wait...repeat everyday until you make it the entire month"

I hate it...it makes me sick actually. I vomit. I dont do it.

Because is telling me what i should do everyday instead of my own pace..and in fact...punishes me if i skip a day.

10+ Year Old Account
    Uncommon Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Laughingjack View Post
    I don't think that was the intended effect. The AH mount sure that was whale hunting but blizzard is terrified of associating power behind a pay wall.
    Won't disagree at all that them removing the 5M longbwoy is whale hunting, but LEGIT, on Illidan - the server I'm on, I've not only seen it, but watched it happen with people spending hundreds if not THOUSANDS on WoW tokens JUST FOR that one specific BOE that has Rank 3 of Gushing on a BIS piece... to them I guess WoW is life brother - but to me and you, we'd laugh our asses off spending that much money on some pixels lol.. especially now: You can just get it from the vendor hahahah

7+ Year Old Account
    If they are going to let you buy whatever corruption you want, i don't why they would add a cycle to the vendor on top of farming whatever you need to buy it.

Seems needlessly annoying.

10+ Year Old Account
    Uncommon Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Rendark View Post
    If they are going to let you buy whatever corruption you want, i don't why they would add a cycle to the vendor on top of farming whatever you need to buy it.

Seems needlessly annoying.
    Blizz wants to take all your monies - theirs NO WAY blizz thought ahead and didn't want people to be insanely powerful all of a sudden or anything like that

Quote Originally Posted by Kuntantee View Post
    That's still at least 1 additional sub.
    So... Even if they literally made the corruptions FREE that would stilll require 1 addionatl sub. As you would need to log in to get them.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post
    I was talking about the only non timegated PvP essence...the battleground one.
    Not the...you know...timegated one...

And there was a time where you could put a tabard and farm non timegated reps.
    In vanilla you can farm furbolgs non timegated also. It just takes a long time, but is NOT timegated.
    So say the battleground essence. Cause it's the battleground essence. The other is the pvp essence.

Also lol 1 rep yeah sure.

- - - Updated - - -

I just want to clarify something.

Is not that i hate to play the "waiting game" i dont mind waiting at all.
    BUT
    I do mind when Blizzard specifically tells me " Do THIS everyday until you reach the daily cap...wait...do it again tomorrow until you reach the cap...wait...repeat everyday until you make it the entire month"

I hate it...it makes me sick actually. I vomit. I dont do it.

Because is telling me what i should do everyday instead of my own pace..and in fact...punishes me if i skip a day.
    So stop playing the fucking game. The game has had timegsting since day 1 in the exact way you say. And if you fucking hate the game so much, for so long, and with no sign of changing

Fucking

Quit

7+ Year Old Account
    Farming echoes is the bigger pain in the ass, imo.

Edit:
    Personally, I'm happy that both my m+ and raiding gear sets were able to drop a couple of 445-460 pieces in favor of 470 pieces on which I was able to put my preferred corruption.
    Last edited by callipygoustp; 2020-05-24 at 06:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nefarious Tea View Post
    Orrrr, you could just stop playing until shadowlands, which is what most people are going to do
    I mean, playing or not, that's what the reason for the system is. It's supposed to be at the point where nobody would quit over how scummy it is while being just scummy enough to keep people playing longer.

Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    So stop playing the fucking game. The game has had timegsting since day 1 in the exact way you say. And if you fucking hate the game so much, for so long, and with no sign of changing

Fucking

Quit
    Are you offended by my opinion? (-_-) why cant i have an opinion?

Im not disrespecting IRL people. So im not spreading any kind of hate targeted at a person or a group of people.
    Im discussing a videogame.

Are you offended by my opinion? (-_-) why cant i have an opinion?

Im not disrespecting IRL people. So im not spreading any kind of hate targeted at a person or a group of people.
    Im discussing a videogame.
    I'm not offended by your opinion. I pity you.
    You are playing a game you hate the fundamental mechanics of for over a decade.
    It's like playing every single call of duty, and complaining you hate first person shooters. But you keep playing.

Quit wow, just quit.
    Everything you have said, you hate literally every single thing in this game. Yet you keep playing. Your fucking addicted to a game you hate
    Stop.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Segus1992 View Post
    I mean, playing or not, that's what the reason for the system is. It's supposed to be at the point where nobody would quit over how scummy it is while being just scummy enough to keep people playing longer.
    How does it keep people playing may I ask?
    And how is it scummy literally at all?
    Last edited by FelPlague; 2020-05-24 at 06:18 PM.

I don't know why you guys are bothering to argue with him, there is no way he's naturally this dense. Nobody's that stupid.
    They always told me I would miss my family... but I never miss from close range.

So... Even if they literally made the corruptions FREE that would stilll require 1 addionatl sub. As you would need to log in to get them.
    You seem to fail to grasp the core of the problem. If would require no additional sub, if you could just get it now instead of waiting for 5 weeks for rotation.

I know it is; I'm not arguing that point. EVERYTHING blizzard has done since 6.0 has been designed to force players to stay subbed longer to milk money instead of providing meaningful and interesting gameplay.

The problem and mistake, which blizzard repeats time and time again, is that people will just get frustrated and say "fuck it!" and unsub instead of grinding with all these timegates.

They never learn, and the playerbase dwindles ever further each expansion.

Edit: If they made content WORTH playing constantly, people would stay subbed constantly.
    Last edited by Nefarious Tea; 2020-05-24 at 06:24 PM.
    Cheerful lack of self-preservation

I'm not offended by your opinion. I pity you.
    Aww, dont be so sweet about it thank you

Quit wow, just quit.
    Everything you have said, you hate literally every single thing in this game. Yet you keep playing. Your fucking addicted to a game you hate
    Stop.
    Hey! I thought you liked me. Why the aggresive tone?

You are playing a game you hate the fundamental mechanics of for over a decade.
    It's like playing every single call of duty, and complaining you hate first person shooters. But you keep playing
    Timegates for the sake of timegating are not a "gameplay mechanic".
    Is an "anti-gameplay" mechanic and IMO is anti consumer and are only there to help the company (and not the players)

Quote Originally Posted by Kuntantee View Post
    You seem to fail to grasp the core of the problem. If would require no additional sub, if you could just get it now instead of waiting for 5 weeks for rotation.
    Yes it would, cause you would need to sub in the first place. Which means it would require 1 month sub. It requires 1 month sub for the people who also bought it this. Week, or those who buy it 8 weeks or even 20 weeks from now. Logging in, buyying the item. Then logging out, all requires only 1 sub mate.

- - - Updated - - -

Aww, dont be so sweet about it thank you

Hey! I thought you liked me. Why the aggresive tone?

Timegates for the sake of timegating are not a "gameplay mechanic".
    Is an "anti-gameplay" mechanic and IMO is anti consumer and are only there to help the company (and not the players)
    Yet you support it. And have supported it for fifteen fucking years.
    At this point I doubt many have any respect for you. Not liking something is great. But not liking it. Yet HELPING it, for a decade and a half? What is wrong with you?

The game has been like this for 15 years. And it will be so for another 15 years. And you hate it. Yet you still pay for it.

What is your mistress outta job because of covid? Need more CBT?

How does it keep people playing may I ask?
    And how is it scummy literally at all?
    Simply because they have literally no reason to put the available corruptions on a random rotation other than to keep people coming back to see if the one they want is available. I don't mind most timegating - often I think it enhances an MMO - but unlike reputations and daily quests where it makes sense for a faction to not go from "unknown" to "omg this guy is literally the best", and also makes sense that you'd repeat certain tasks over several days rather than several times an hour - a vendor having a limited selection (not stock) does not.

Like I said in the original post:
    This shouldn't really be shocking to anyone - they do it to inflate played hours, and to create an artificial sense of urgency and need to play.

Likely also random which means nobody who still wants corruptions can stop playing for more than 4 days at a time, as if you knew the corruption you want is available in 4 weeks you could just stop playing until then.

Simple as shit. Somewhat scummy, but mild as far as scumminess in this industry goes.
    How the artificial sense of urgency works is "oh shit my corruption is available, gotta farm the shit out of it today and tomorrow before it goes away". People will also keep logging in to check if their corruption is available that week. It means that rather than farm what you want and then you're done, you'll most likely farm what you want preemptively "just in case" and then keep logging in anyway. More played time total.

Simply because they have literally no reason to put the available corruptions on a random rotation other than to keep people coming back to see if the one they want is available. I don't mind most timegating - often I think it enhances an MMO - but unlike reputations and daily quests where it makes sense for a faction to not go from "unknown" to "omg this guy is literally the best", and also makes sense that you'd repeat certain tasks over several days rather than several times an hour - a vendor having a limited selection (not stock) does not.

Like I said in the original post:

How the artificial sense of urgency works is "oh shit my corruption is available, gotta farm the shit out of it today and tomorrow before it goes away". People will also keep logging in to check if their corruption is available that week. It means that rather than farm what you want and then you're done, you'll most likely farm what you want preemptively "just in case" and then keep logging in anyway. More played time total.
    1.not entirely random.
    2. It's all online, so you can just unsub and wait.
    3. Do you really think ANYONE goes " oh hey I'm unsubbed from wow. But I hear you can buy corruptions now!" Designs. Logs on, farms for 18 hours, buys the corruption. Then unsubs.
    4. Funny cause ya know... Both ways. Even if they could buy any of them from the start, or just the one they wanted. Both require a month sub...
    5. So you must dislike the black market auction house? Should it have everything on sale at all times?
    6. It's not artificial scarcity... Cause guess what... You can wait a few weeks till.it comes back. Or like you know. Most people. Just work for it up slowly until the one you want appears... Idk if you know, but every time the pool resets, your currency does not also reset... You can farm ahead of time, you don't need to wait till last minute...
    7. Again. They can check what ones are up online...
    8. You know... Wait so your changing from time gating to more playtime what?
    Wait is the problem timegating or artificially extended playtime?
    Last edited by FelPlague; 2020-05-24 at 06:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nefarious Tea View Post
    I know it is; I'm not arguing that point. EVERYTHING blizzard has done since 6.0 has been designed to force players to stay subbed longer to milk money instead of providing meaningful and interesting gameplay.

The problem and mistake, which blizzard repeats time and time again, is that people will just get frustrated and say "fuck it!" and unsub instead of grinding with all these timegates.

They never learn, and the playerbase dwindles ever further each expansion.

Edit: If they made content WORTH playing constantly, people would stay subbed constantly.
    Thing is, what's good about timegates out of a designer's perspective is that you can stretch out content over a longer period of time - when it isn't egregious, players will be just as happy with timegated content as they would if the content wasn't timegated at all - sometimes happier because it isn't overwhelming.

I prefer not to comment about what causes the playerbase to dwindle, because that's absolutely Blizzard's most important metric. If anyone knows, it's them.

Yes, people would absolutely play more if there was more meaningful content to do - it's a question of manhours spent vs profit gained.

- - - Updated - - -

1.not entirely random.
    2. It's all online, so you can just unsub and wait.
    3. Do you really think ANYONE goes " oh hey I'm unsubbed from wow. But I hear you can buy corruptions now!" Designs. Logs on, farms for 18 hours, buys the corruption. Then unsubs.
    4. Funny cause ya know... Both ways. Even if they could buy any of them from the start, or just the one they wanted. Both require a month sub...
    5. So you must dislike the black market auction house? Should it have everything on sale at all times?
    1. I haven't seen anything confirming or denying this, it was just an assumption on my part.
    2. Yes, you can - I'm not really talking about people who are on the fence of quitting entirely, but rather getting people who already play to play more than they'd want to naturally. Also, unsubbing and waiting for the right corruption rotation means you'll need to have the right amount of echoes farmed beforehand - that's still played hours Blizzard wants.
    3. No, but subscriptions aren't their only metric. They're absolutely interested in hours spent in game as well.
    4. Again, subscriptions aren't their only metric.
    5. Black Market is different because it isn't just a limited selection but also a limited stock. It makes sense. However, way above that is the fact that it's purely cosmetic.

Thing is, what's good about timegates out of a designer's perspective is that you can stretch out content over a longer period of time - when it isn't egregious, players will be just as happy with timegated content as they would if the content wasn't timegated at all - sometimes happier because it isn't overwhelming.

I prefer not to comment about what causes the playerbase to dwindle, because that's absolutely Blizzard's most important metric. If anyone knows, it's them.

Yes, people would absolutely play more if there was more meaningful content to do - it's a question of manhours spent vs profit gained.

- - - Updated - - -

1. I haven't seen anything confirming or denying this, it was just an assumption on my part.
    2. Yes, you can - I'm not really talking about people who are on the fence of quitting entirely, but rather getting people who already play to play more than they'd want to naturally. Also, unsubbing and waiting for the right corruption rotation means you'll need to have the right amount of echoes farmed beforehand - that's still played hours Blizzard wants.
    3. No, but subscriptions aren't their only metric. They're absolutely interested in hours spent in game as well.
    4. Again, subscriptions aren't their only metric.
    5. Black Market is different because it isn't just a limited selection but also a limited stock. It makes sense. However, way above that is the fact that it's purely cosmetic.
    Excuse me what? Wait wait skip.everything let's go to #2 "time played is bad" excuse me?
    There is no winning. When even fucking having to play the game is bad. Holy fuck, you seriously want corruptions to just right out be free. Cause as you just said right there. "you'll need to have the right amount of echoes farmed beforehand - that's still played hours Blizzard wants." So now, literally having to play the game. To progress. Is bad.

Alright it's over.

What is your mistress outta job because of covid? Need more CBT?
    Im not saying THIS corruption system is a "TG for the sake of TG" because i actually dont know.
    But it seems to be.

No one is defending a "timegate that only benefits the betterment of the company and not the players"...are we? Are we defending this now?

Just making sure...because...i think some people are.

Excuse me what? Wait wait skip.everything let's go to #2 "time played is bad" excuse me?
    There is no winning. When even fucking having to play the game is bad. Holy fuck, you seriously want corruptions to just right out be free. Cause as you just said right there. "you'll need to have the right amount of echoes farmed beforehand - that's still played hours Blizzard wants." So now, literally having to play the game. To progress. Is bad.

Alright it's over.
    Err, what? Time played is bad? I think you may have mixed me up with another poster. I'm saying what Blizzard wants by creating the system the way it is. I'm not saying everything Blizzard wants is bad. No idea why you'd think that if you aren't just trying to disprove everything negative I say about Blizzard.

Blizzard could've made the system maximally QoL for the sake of the player without reducing the prices meaning in total the time you spend on farming corruptions and buying them is entirely up to you. What's your theory on why they didn't do that if you're so sure I'm wrong?