Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Very disappointed since for years they were teasing Ny'alotha to be a sunken place (that plus N'Zoth being imprisoned under the ocean), i was ready for WoW's take on R'lyeh

I liked the first indoor area.

But overall, no, it was not what i imagined it would be. The most obvious reason being it was FAR too small. In Legion, Xal'atah promised me something bigger than Suramar. Well, i could actually PLAY in Suramar. It wasn#t just a skybox for 2 small areas.

Same goes for Naz'jatar. Although i would say both were still better delivered than Argus.

Nope... which is a shame because I was super excited when I saw the previews. Sadly, the environment is restricted to only the raid and I'm sorry but the raid is simply not very interesting or fun. The trash is annoying. The bosses are boring. I haven't even bothered to clear the instance because I simply have zero interest in it. They really should have created its own zone. I mean, the name of the fucking place is "the waking CITY." I'm sure it was planned at some point but it looks like -- much like WoD -- the last portion of this expansion was sacrificed for the next one.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sargerus View Post
    Very disappointed since for years they were teasing Ny'alotha to be a sunken place (that plus N'Zoth being imprisoned under the ocean), i was ready for WoW's take on R'lyeh
    Damn, that's really cool! A mix of BioShock and Dead Space -- two of my favorite franchises in one. A real missed opportunity.

Two things I dont like about it.

I dont understand why when we break a part of his carapace, we go into a part of his body to find a miniature N'Zoth inside N'Zoth. That made no sense for me.

I would rather see us poke a hole in a arterie to his heart or brain. And it would force him to retreat.

Second part is that for me to like a zone it must make sense physically where its located. I must be able to place it on a map so I can understane where I am on Azeroth etc.

I still dont know where Nyalotha is. Its a physical place so the idea that its an parallell dimension doesn't work for me.

Also Nzoth was chained at the bottom of the ocean. And then his massive form got movied to this place. It doesn't make sense to me.

Not at all. I expected it to be more dark, creepy and twisted, almost more like a Rift of Aln. The idea of a lightless deep-sea raid that took place in a logic-defying pyramid could've been extremely cool if Blizzard hadn't been creatively bankrupt.

5+ Year Old Account
    N'yalotha was quite... Disappointing, to put it mildly. After all the old gods shenanigans in BfA, I expected something like Tanaan: Tentacles Edition, at the very least. Having it reduced to just a raid (and a quite meh one tbh) was a big letdown.

But it's par for the course with the rest of the second worst (imo) xpac ever released by Blizzard, dethroning Cata.
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

5+ Year Old Account
    no I thought it'd be at the bottom of the ocean

Nope.
    I do like it, but I thought we would be in a HUGE ancient-egypt-ish city with oversized streets and stairs.
    I thought everything would be more like the skybox

Quote Originally Posted by Nitros14 View Post
    Yeah they kind of wasted the whole bottom of the ocean city with no light potential.
    All of BFA is one giant litany of wasted potential, sacrificed to timegate and RNG the living fuck out of everything. And what has it got them? Record low subscriber numbers.

People don't grind anymore; they quit and find something else that's actually fun. This isn't 2004.
    Last edited by Nefarious Tea; 2020-05-24 at 09:28 PM.
    Cheerful lack of self-preservation

The aethestics are for most part on point when comparing it to the Chronicles artwork, but in-game it doesn't feel anywhere near as grand or busy. The whole place actually feels very small with just a lot of empty halls. I do like having the tentacles in the background which would make N'zoth look huge, something that is yet again downsized because they probably didn't want another Deathwing so they decided to shrink him down. For gameplay reasons I can understand these kind of decisions but it has ruined the whole place and N'zoth himself badly. This is why Ny'alotha should've been its own zone or even continent.

Considering that the Old God's were hyped back in WC3:TFT when we first encountered the Faceless Ones and Forgotten One, and then being established in Classic/WotLK/Cata/MoP, their ending is more than dissapointing. The Old God's were supposed to be one of the major bad guys alongside Sargeras where WoW should have ended with where we finally purify Azeroth from its corruption, but instead they get dealt with in a single patch with a lackluster ending for N'zoth, and we don't even see whats up with Sargeras' sword that is still stuck deep in the ground.

Sadly this is what we can expect from Blizzards writers

Quote Originally Posted by Brenz View Post
    Are your standards so low in every aspect of your life?
    I believe they're being sarcastic.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Soon-TM View Post
    N'yalotha was quite... Disappointing, to put it mildly. After all the old gods shenanigans in BfA, I expected something like Tanaan: Tentacles Edition, at the very least. Having it reduced to just a raid (and a quite meh one tbh) was a big letdown.

But it's par for the course with the rest of the second worst (imo) xpac ever released by Blizzard, dethroning Cata.
    Cata was a better expansion than BFA. The stuff to do was worth doing. The raid mechanics were interesting and the story if not particularly well written was at least a coherent narrative.

Cata's real failure was that every. fucking. raid. was. fucking. red. Oh, and Spine of Deathwing was a boring, dreary, strafey shitshow where your ability to pretend you were playing Unreal Tournament circa 2003 was more important than anything else.
    Cheerful lack of self-preservation

it looks fine,but i wish it would have been an actual city,like suramar,but even bigger,and as the raid itself goes,it was pretty good,nzoth was the only odd one out

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nefarious Tea View Post
    I believe they're being sarcastic.

- - - Updated - - -

Cata was a better expansion than BFA. The stuff to do was worth doing. The raid mechanics were interesting and the story if not particularly well written was at least a coherent narrative.

Cata's real failure was that every. fucking. raid. was. fucking. red. Oh, and Spine of Deathwing was a boring, dreary, strafey shitshow where your ability to pretend you were playing Unreal Tournament circa 2003 was more important than anything else.
    I had way more fun in cata thats for sure,but i cant rly agree on it being better,cata did so many things so wrong...first off dungeons,dungeons being hard is AWSOME...but,throwing players in random queable massacres after carebear wotlk training wheels dungeons was NOT awsome,they should have implemented it differently,maybe make mythic or just have hc not quable

10 man tunning was simply broken early on,bosses that on 25 were a cake walk on 10 were extreme,granted i loved the first tier,felt rly nice,usualy first tier in wow sucks a lot:naxx,heart of fear,emerald nightmare,uldir...highmaul was pretty good,but last boss was on the exagerated side for a first raid

last raid was just dull,few bosses,completly re used assets,very simplistic mecanics compared to the other raids in cata,the entire expansion suffered ofc from a ton of cut content because of the revamp,deathwing didnt feel nearly as epic as he should have

and what was meaninful to do?you rly had nothing to do except raid and pvp,same issue wotlk had,atleast these days we get stuff to do

Quote Originally Posted by letssee View Post
    neither Ny alotha or nazjatar were what i expected, Blizz ruuined 2 hyped zones in 1 expansion

gg ez
    I'd go as far as to say they ruined 8.0 zones too. I don't mean aesthetically because they are gorgeous, it's just that:

- Kul Tiras is way too big than it should have and it has basically everthing for self sustaining
    - The great race of Zandalari were reduced to barely controlling 1/3 of their continent and are kind of the opposite of Kul Tiras: I have no idea how that great race managed to fit in Dazar'alor and surrounding villages, even more so that Dazar'alor is basically The Great Seal (the royal family) and some shops

They both also werent what I would imagine them to be

And I think the biggest offender is the fact that the Eternal Palace and Ny'alotha are not visible in the world. I hate this trend of hiding the raid.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by deenman View Post
    I had way more fun in cata thats for sure,but i cant rly agree on it being better,cata did so many things so wrong...first off dungeons,dungeons being hard is AWSOME...but,throwing players in random queable massacres after carebear wotlk training wheels dungeons was NOT awsome,they should have implemented it differently,maybe make mythic or just have hc not quable

10 man tunning was simply broken early on,bosses that on 25 were a cake walk on 10 were extreme
    Cata suffered from the fact that it was released too early, but also too late. What I mean is:

- too early dungeon wise - what they did with the difficulty at the begining is basically today's mythic dungeons. I'm 100% sure that if mythic dungeon difficulty was released in 4.0 and it was as hard as the heroics at that time, everyone would be happy
    - too late raid wise - as in, one of their greatest mistakes when it comes to raids was raid size switches. And while in wotlk at least the 10 mans weren't as worth as 25 mans, they succombed to the pressure and made 10 and 25 equal, because apparently people dont like playing with people. The debacle between 10 and 25 mans ruined the raiding in that expansion

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm glad it's only one patch.

I don't understand all this fascination with tentaclebois and so on. From my standpoint, after whole Void Lords reveal, Old Gods became just a stepping stone towards the actual goal and frankly I had enough of bugs, eyeballs and tentacles we got all these years.

I'm actually glad we're off to Shlands so we can hopefully get some fresh ideas in.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    its exactly the amount of low quality, call it in, bullshit that I expected from blizzard.

10+ Year Old Account
    I mean the raid LOOKS good, no complaints there - but I really didn't want it to just be a raid.. They should've made it into a huge zone just like Argus. Limiting the patch to us flying around in Uldum and Pandaria was just a stupid as fuck idea. (couple that with the visions which again are in familliar cities is also BORING)

Nazjatar was also a swing and a miss for me, it's garbage and most of the cool scenery is again hidden inside a raid.
    Last edited by Sanguinerd; 2020-05-24 at 10:53 PM.

Hard to tell. The whole corruption system killed the raid IMO so it was a disapointment for me. If loot was loot maybe i would have enjoyed the raid more.

In term of pure design, the fact that it was shaped around 3 wings felt bad. I think it should have been more linear with the us dwelving in a more and more dark and corrupted area (ulduar did that very well as we were going down into the depths of the raid to face yogg)

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Azalar View Post
    I expected a whole new eldritch zone with the raid in it. The setting is too good to only be used in the raid.
    *coughs in Azjol-Nerub dungeon-ese*
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumboy View Post
    I'm not sure if you guys have noticed but sometimes I say things that are kind of dumb
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    I just like reading about the "vigorous rubbing" that might affect ball inflation.

Quote Originally Posted by KOUNTERPARTS View Post
    The aesthetic of it matched what I thought it would look like. The red and orange coloration, the dead looking sky with gargantuan tentacles in the horizon, tall black spires and evil-looking architecture (I'm unsure what kind of cultural nod the Old God-like architecture goes to) and everything.

^Warcraft Chronicles depiction of what a typical day during the reign of the Black Empire looked like.

^I think they did very well with maintaining that look. Perhaps not as "dark and gloomy" as the Chronicles art but they can only do so much to represent that in-game with how the general art style in the game is.

In my mind if they expanded on Ny'alotha, making it more than just an instanced raid, we could be able to see legions and legions of Old God minions marching in the background.

The visual of physically seeing N'Zoth in the background during the Carapace of N'Zoth boss fight is fucking cool. I think it would even cooler if we Ny'alotha was an actual zone - or continent of zones - that you would always see N'Zoth in the background (or skybox) so no matter where you were questing you knew what was waiting for you.

It should have definitely been more than just a one-and-done raid. But I understand that the majority of players do not like the theme of Old Gods and their theme. That's understandable.
    Yep they went and built the raid on that piece of art , basically we entered N'zoth happy memory of the past and killed him...there? Did we really kill him , it's hard to tell with all this visions stuff. Ofc blizzard will say he's dead dead to shove him aside and forget this patch still, his prison was in the bottom at the circle of stars was N'zoth capable of moving around ? if not what's in there now? It feels an incomplete victory as we didn't fight him in azeroth

It was close to what I would have imagined when I saw the Black Empire concept in Chronicles. But to me it just ended up being a prime example of why sometimes you should not adhere religiously to concept art.
    Though then again, Ny'alotha was also filled seemingly primarily with a volcanic landscape, whereas the Black Empire from Chronicles looked like a weird city, which the raid certainly didnt.

If the question is a more broad "Did it look like what I expected a N'zoth RAID to look like" then no. I would have expected weird ruins on the bottom of the ocean, giant leviathans and abyssal monstrosities overlooking ancient coral reefs. Not the art assets dropped in a volcano look the raid went for.
    The world revamp dream will never die!