Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post

No, he can’t be retired and legitimately looking for work. That’s not how retirement works... you can’t have it both ways.
    lol..i know my heads going to explode.

i mean its downright crazy when some people won't admit they were wrong in just a few misspoken words, isn't it.

I give up at this point
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zan15 View Post
    lol..i know my heads going to explode.

i mean its downright crazy when some people won't admit they were wrong in just a few misspoken words, isn't it.

I give up at this point
    Consider that the basis for his argument, is that his family is the reason he believes people abuse unemployment and should see cuts.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnusthegreat View Post
    He looked for work in order to receive unemployment. That was the requirement of the program. (I edited my response)
    So, he's unemployed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    So, he's unemployed.
    He was applying for jobs he knew he wouldn’t get and got busted:

Unemployment in general is a shitshow. My dad (a CPA) just retired and went on unemployment and he started applying to CPA jobs and they sent him a letter saying that he won't be getting unemployment because he needs to apply to jobs that are attainable. They suggested looking at Target.

More evidence that suggests we should abolish unemployment and welfare and implement a UBI instead.
    Do you think they would have suggested looking for work at Target, if they knew he was retired?
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

anywhoo back to topic at hand..

https://www.businessinsider.com/geor...-rising-2020-5

Despite the state reopening early, 40% of all workers in Georgia have filed for unemployment support

in the end I don't think Moscow mitch is going to have a choice in the matter. They are going to have to provide some kind of extension or additional funding.

Trends do not look good so far.
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Was he going to take a job offer? And was he applying for jobs he had a reasonable shot at securing?
    I don't know his intention, and legally that's not going to be determinable. Yes, in fact, they told him to lower his standards.

- - - Updated - - -

The nature of his retirement, appears to be lying that he had any intentions of working, for places he applied to.

Retired collect retirement, because by retiring they are ending their careers.

- - - Updated - - -

No, he can’t be retired and legitimately looking for work. That’s not how retirement works... you can’t have it both ways.
    You can always defer retirement payments until a later date. That's what I'm currently doing with the job I had for the first 3 years of my career.

- - - Updated - - -

So, he's unemployed.
    He was not employed during his retirement, correct.

- - - Updated - - -

Do you think they would have suggested looking for work at Target, if they knew he was retired?
    I think you missed the point of that part of the story - he was applying for jobs he was qualified for, and they told him to stop.

So, he's a fraudster.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't know his intention, and legally that's not going to be determinable. Yes, in fact, they told him to lower his standards.

- - - Updated - - -

You can always defer retirement payments until a later date. That's what I'm currently doing with the job I had for the first 3 years of my career.

- - - Updated - - -

He was not employed during his retirement, correct.

- - - Updated - - -

I think you missed the point of that part of the story - he was applying for jobs he was qualified for, and they told him to stop.
    Then... he's not retired. Retired means you are done looking for work.

So, he's a fraudster.

- - - Updated - - -

Then... he's not retired. Retired means you are done looking for work.
    @Felya made incorrect statements in that post. Those were his assertions that aren't true. My dad applied for jobs in his field that he had over 30 years experience in and the unemployment office told him to stop applying to those jobs he was qualified for.

No, retirement is not based on whether or not you are looking for work according to merriam-webster dictionary and @Felya. It means you left your job or career.

Quote Originally Posted by Zan15 View Post
    Despite the state reopening early, 40% of all workers in Georgia have filed for unemployment support
    I wonder why Georgia hits so hard.
    No one drinks Coke or watches CNN?

We have to wait for August.
    Right now, the unemployment paycheck is more than the miniumum wage.

Quote Originally Posted by xenogear3 View Post
    I wonder why Georgia hits so hard.
    No one drinks Coke or watches CNN?

We have to wait for August.
    Right now, the unemployment paycheck is more than the miniumum wage.
    I think Delta is the largest employer in GA.

The major thing that all of this shows is that the US as a population is not prepared for 3 or even 6 months out of work situation. We seem to be too dependent on credit to run things and living above our means. No one is talking about that though.

I still say people would rather go back to work than just sit at home collecting money.
    Last edited by Logwyn; 2020-05-25 at 06:08 AM.