Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    I'm glad it's only one patch.

I don't understand all this fascination with tentaclebois and so on. From my standpoint, after whole Void Lords reveal, Old Gods became just a stepping stone towards the actual goal and frankly I had enough of bugs, eyeballs and tentacles we got all these years.

I'm actually glad we're off to Shlands so we can hopefully get some fresh ideas in.
    I think it's more that a lot of people thought there was a little more to the old gods than just tentacles and eyeballs and bugs.

Sadly, we were wrong. But in a better timeline old gods could have been a really cool and interesting enemy, there were hints here and there but when they got demoted in Legion I kinda figured this is how it'd go.

the raid is simply not very interesting now

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's not what I imagined, but it is pretty much what I expected, especially after the Firelands.

Yes, Blizz delivered fairly well with Antorus, but after Firelands, and even Nazjatar, I just forever doubt Blizzard's ability to live up to any real, lore-based hype. Firelands should have been far bigger, not some little zone we invade, and then a relatively small raid. It could have looked closer to the painting that was up in Blizzard HQ...

I still enjoy playing, but the visuals for zones and raids could be vastly improved. Look at Ulduar as a good example of a large raid given some serious love. Or ICC, even. 8.3 should have been 7.3, Black Empire-style.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Yes, didn't expect new zone as we rarely get more than 2-3 completely new zones that werent on map when expansion released and this time around we got
    2 brand new zones and 2-6 reworked zones (+2 for warfronts and +2 for visions)
    So it kinda didn't make sense to expect yet another zone.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Irian View Post
    I think it's more that a lot of people thought there was a little more to the old gods than just tentacles and eyeballs and bugs.

Sadly, we were wrong. But in a better timeline old gods could have been a really cool and interesting enemy, there were hints here and there but when they got demoted in Legion I kinda figured this is how it'd go.
    I personally thought that the AvH stuff at the beginning of BfA was so senseless, that it couldn't but to be caused by Old Gods stirring !@#$ behind scenes, as it befits them the most. Oh silly me... BfA has ranged from disappointing (at best) to infuriating (at worst) to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

Much like the Eternal Palace, Nazjatar, Mechagon, Antorus and the emerald Nightmare, Ny'alotha was 5% of what I was hoping for.
    Instead of actually experiencing the greatness of Ny'alotha I got to see AQ... but with a red/purple tint! All while the actual Ny'alotha was just a painting in the skybox... much like N'Zoth.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by valax View Post
    Not for me , I always thought Ny'alotha was going to be this dark place - a world zone tbh - (somehow) at the bottom of the ocean a zone so separated from the sky and sunlight. Definitely not a bunch of imaginary pyramids with an obelisk here and there in an almost volcanic scenario.
    How about you, what was Ny'alotha like in your head?
    I think this is a problem with many players. They hype themselves about something, that when said something is implemented into the game, they feel disappointed because it doesn't match their expectations. I saw so many discussions about Ny'alotha, some crafting so many theories regarding the place, so many people getting hyped in those discussions... it's like they're setting themselves for disappointment.

Because they create this image in their heads of how something must be, then get angry at Blizzard because what they created did not match their expectations... expectations that were mostly born out of fan theories and discussions, not out of something Blizzard said.
    "Torturing someone is not an evil thing to do if it is done for good reasons" by Varodoc
    "You sit in OG/SW waiting on a Mythic+ queue" by Altmer <- Oh, the pearls in this forum...
    "They sort of did this Dragonriding, which ushered in the Dracthyr race." by Teriz <- the BS some people reach for their narratives...

https://wow.gamepedia.com/Ny%27alotha

After reading this, it seems like Blizzard did a pretty accurate job of it. The black obelisks spread around that leaked corruption into the zones N’Zoth was trying to invade to corrupt the various Engine of the Maker that were spread around. The visions of Stormwind and Orgrimmar showing the twisted realities if N’zoth wins. Those are all part of Ny’alotha.
    The raid of the same name was really well done. It reminded me of the hellish landscape used in Hellraiser 2, and I also agree with Osmeric that it could have benefited from a non euclidian geometrical usage but probably not available due to tech.
    People being upset also remind me of the people being upset because N’zoth is so small yet don’t bother actually paying attention to what’s happening during the fight or actually looking at the scenery.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by valax View Post
    Not for me , I always thought Ny'alotha was going to be this dark place - a world zone tbh - (somehow) at the bottom of the ocean a zone so separated from the sky and sunlight. Definitely not a bunch of imaginary pyramids with an obelisk here and there in an almost volcanic scenario.
    How about you, what was Ny'alotha like in your head?
    Some people already posted pictures of what Ny’alotha looks like long before the raid ever released and it seems to match well. I’ve never seen the art, so I understand how you built something up in your mind, but it seems to match what Blizzard already showed what it looked like.

15+ Year Old Account
    I thought Nyalotha was gonna be a zone or the boss was gonna be a zone that you physically walked on, saw some stuff datamined. I feel like they had a zone planned, then ran out of time or resources and split it all into visions/invasion/raid. Doing the world quest stuff would've been so much better in one single zone, dear god.

Battle for Loading screens.

I just think it gets more and more funny the more complaints I read. As someone else pointed out, all these ideas people had are just assumptions built up in their own minds what they wanted to happen.

As I posted earlier, WoWpedia states exactly what Ny’alotha is and we got pretty much exactly that.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eapoe View Post
    I just think it gets more and more funny the more complaints I read. As someone else pointed out, all these ideas people had are just assumptions built up in their own minds what they wanted to happen.

As I posted earlier, WoWpedia states exactly what Ny’alotha is and we got pretty much exactly that.
    What's funny about it? And how is seeing a zone datamined an assumption of something? You people act way too smug for no reason.

Quote Originally Posted by msdos View Post
    What's funny about it? And how is seeing a zone datamined an assumption of something? You people act way too smug for no reason.
    My link wasn’t from a data mine. It’s the link that literally explains what Ny’alotha is on WoWpedia. Based on that, we got exactly what it is.
    Black Obelisks are all over the raid, as well as in the zones N’zoth’s forces are invading, which tether his reality to ours. Ny’alotha is literally our world but filled with abominations and horrors, which is what we have. People thinking he was going to be some deep dwelling ocean god are mistaken, as his territory is what became the Eastern Kingdoms, and N’zoth was simply imprisoned in the deep. This also gave him his monicker or God of the Deep.
    Now, Nazjatar was a let down to me, as I did think it would be more of a sprawling crumbled city, much like Suramar. I did expect destroyed buildings, but Vash’jir was a better representation than what we got here.

Quote Originally Posted by KOUNTERPARTS View Post
    The aesthetic of it matched what I thought it would look like. The red and orange coloration, the dead looking sky with gargantuan tentacles in the horizon, tall black spires and evil-looking architecture (I'm unsure what kind of cultural nod the Old God-like architecture goes to) and everything.

^Warcraft Chronicles depiction of what a typical day during the reign of the Black Empire looked like.

^I think they did very well with maintaining that look. Perhaps not as "dark and gloomy" as the Chronicles art but they can only do so much to represent that in-game with how the general art style in the game is.

In my mind if they expanded on Ny'alotha, making it more than just an instanced raid, we could be able to see legions and legions of Old God minions marching in the background.

The visual of physically seeing N'Zoth in the background during the Carapace of N'Zoth boss fight is fucking cool. I think it would even cooler if we Ny'alotha was an actual zone - or continent of zones - that you would always see N'Zoth in the background (or skybox) so no matter where you were questing you knew what was waiting for you.

It should have definitely been more than just a one-and-done raid. But I understand that the majority of players do not like the theme of Old Gods and their theme. That's understandable.
    Good post to show that what we got is very similar to how it's been envisioned by Blizzard. As with anything when it comes to games, in-game stuff will be more simplified than concepts.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    What would have been cool would have been if Ny'alotha's geometry were non-Euclidean. I understand this is probably incompatible with the basics of the game engine, though.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEB11PQ9Eo8

Cool demo. He had to build his own engine tho.
    Error 404 - Signature not found

10+ Year Old Account
    I would have liked a questing zone (think Argus) with the Ny'alotha aesthetic.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

Quote Originally Posted by keymil View Post
    I'd go as far as to say they ruined 8.0 zones too. I don't mean aesthetically because they are gorgeous, it's just that:

- Kul Tiras is way too big than it should have and it has basically everthing for self sustaining
    - The great race of Zandalari were reduced to barely controlling 1/3 of their continent and are kind of the opposite of Kul Tiras: I have no idea how that great race managed to fit in Dazar'alor and surrounding villages, even more so that Dazar'alor is basically The Great Seal (the royal family) and some shops

They both also werent what I would imagine them to be

And I think the biggest offender is the fact that the Eternal Palace and Ny'alotha are not visible in the world. I hate this trend of hiding the raid.

- - - Updated - - -

Cata suffered from the fact that it was released too early, but also too late. What I mean is:

- too early dungeon wise - what they did with the difficulty at the begining is basically today's mythic dungeons. I'm 100% sure that if mythic dungeon difficulty was released in 4.0 and it was as hard as the heroics at that time, everyone would be happy
    - too late raid wise - as in, one of their greatest mistakes when it comes to raids was raid size switches. And while in wotlk at least the 10 mans weren't as worth as 25 mans, they succombed to the pressure and made 10 and 25 equal, because apparently people dont like playing with people. The debacle between 10 and 25 mans ruined the raiding in that expansion
    thats true, kul tiras and zandalar too

I hoped for at least a whole zone, similar to Nazjatar, not just a raid. The invasions are nice and all, but the invaded zones are still too uncorrupted for my taste. At least the major invasions should have warped the zone into a world of madness and despair, not just add some occult obelisks and floating platforms here and there.

But I do understand that it would have required more resources to do that and the majority of the team was probably already working on Shadowlands. Also, a whole black empire expansion is something not all players would have handled, seeing how people still have PTSD from a single underwater zone from 4 expansions ago.
    MMO-Champion Forum
    noun

1. a place where people who stopped playing World of Warcraft 10 years ago gather to tell those who still enjoy the game, how bad it is right now.

Quote Originally Posted by msdos View Post
    You people act way too smug for no reason.
    That sums up MMO-C perfectly tbh.

These forums have some kind of weird fixation with a bunch of people trying to one-up each other at every turn.

Quote Originally Posted by dragothica View Post
    Additionally, in the Puzzle Box of Yogg-Saron, it's mentioned that nightmares and sleep are an ongoing theme in Nya'lotha, but in the actual raid the whole theme is completely missing.. It's like they used only that Black Empire artwork as inspiration and forget about everything else..
    This was kinda where I got the idea that Nyalotha would be a lot creepier than it ended up being. I expected something a lot more surreal and dreamlike, like a living nightmare with a lot of surreal imagery.