Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

corruption gear is now a great system!

before the vendor it was, in my opinion, the worst system in the history of the game.
    with the vendors, it has the potential to become my all time favorite.
    its crazy what a reliable grind can do to a gearing system.
    rng can still have its place in the game, as a lucky nice bonus, but NOT as the only source.

i understand that blizz didnt want us to be fully decked in bis corruption within a few weeks.
    but a 100% rng system, is a "cure that is worse than the sickness" solution.
    some will get fully decked in bis anyway, meanwhile some will get shit, eventhough they put in the same effort.

another solution couldve been a 5k (or whatever) echoes weekly cap, and if you were unable to reach cap 1 or more weeks, the missed amount would be added to the cap. so you could catch up whenever you had the time.
    or the echoes you gained couldve started really low, and then amplify the amount every week with 30% (like AP).
    the random drops could still exist.

but you could even argue that a weekly cap/amplifier wouldnt be needed.
    since getting bis is easier said than done for several reasons.
    1) your bis gear setup would vary from week to week, because of corruption resist increase.
    2) once you got bis on current gear, you would have to grind it again whenever you got new gear with better stats.
    3) if you play more than one spec, the bis would most likely be different, so you could have full bis for 1-4 different specs.
    4) bis would also vary on content, raid single target boss, boss with a bit of cleave, boss with aoe. m+ bis would vary on affixes and how high a key you do. pvp would vary if you do bgs or arena and what comp you play with and against.
    5) the fun of just playing around with it, trying out different things.

corruption had so much potential, but it turned out dogshit.. im looking forward to the fun im gonna have with it for the rest of bfa though.

too bad that blizz have a bad habit of making gearing systems bad, only so improve them bit by bit. why do they wait till the end of an expac/patch to make the game as good as it could be?
    Last edited by mojusk; 2020-05-25 at 11:11 AM.

I always thought Corruption was a great idea for a replacement for Titanforging, but it definitely needed more balancing time before it was shipped, and the vendor should've been there right off the bat.

The way they shipped it meant the idea was killed and won't return, even though it would still be great in SL with the right iterations.

You always get you shit kids on mmo-c that do a 15 at best but want 100% the best traits the second the new gearing cycle starts.

You don't need bis to be mediocre.

i dont like corruption sistem.it sucks.I prefer being able to farm materials to create a legendary great sword at height, and knowing that if you do you will have something really useful and if possible playing alone (I have my sights set on torghast) ...
    Fortunately, those times are over when the guild master's girlfriend took the legendary on duty ...
    Corruption is not only not a good system, it is quite annoying, it is not fun.

even if it helps, it's to little to late.
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

Quote Originally Posted by mojusk View Post
    im looking forward to the fun im gonna have with it for the rest of bfa though.
    You dont play a healer do you? I feel like every mod, every "dangerous" affix, corruption, extra movement or "super cool boss mechanic" and everything else is just more pita for healers and very little change for the rest of the group. For pvp i think its garbo mechanic as hell because rng can simply screw you over. Not even mentioning the insane farm of daily quest end game and raids to stay viable. I wish they created some mechanics that punish the player, not the healers over and over again. Lets say, you stand in shit, you do no/less dmg for x secs or get rooted/petrified etc. That would punish all these dps heroes.
    Right now, as a healer I feel like I dont drink, but pay for every round.

"Great" is a bit of a stretch. I'm content with it. The extremely tight windows for farming echoes add a lot of pressure to farm your ass off before it disappears from the vendor and you have to wait another 5 weeks for it to come around. I'd have rather they have a larger pool in each rotation but only change once per week.

Still you're right, between a 100% RNG system and this I'll take this any day.

Quote Originally Posted by Nikeyla View Post
    You dont play a healer do you? I feel like every mod, every "dangerous" affix, corruption, extra movement or "super cool boss mechanic" and everything else is just more pita for healers and very little change for the rest of the group. For pvp i think its garbo mechanic as hell because rng can simply screw you over. Not even mentioning the insane farm of daily quest end game and raids to stay viable. I wish they created some mechanics that punish the player, not the healers over and over again. Lets say, you stand in shit, you do no/less dmg for x secs or get rooted/petrified etc. That would punish all these dps heroes.
    THIS

The system screws healers over. Not only the lack of corruption pieces for healers (just the lol stat +%... ) but we also have to carry the penalty that the DPS should be paying.

Horrible system.

Quote Originally Posted by Nikeyla View Post
    What's funny is that you could sort of see them experimenting with it a bit in Crucible of Storms with items like Harbringer's Inscrutable Will. Gives you extra mechanic to dodge but if you fuck up you get silenced.

Then corruption rolls around and it's just "if you fuck this up your healer is going to hate you". Pretty disappointing as a concept.

"Great" is a bit of a stretch, as it made a min/maxing game also include your corruption cap.

I'm a lazy *uck, who usually just checks bloodmallet's values for comparison.

This update actually made me write an R script which takes in Bloodmallet numbers, the corruption amount i'm willing to run with and calculates which corruption combination i should be aiming for in the future (week by week).

Quote Originally Posted by Great Destiny Man View Post
    What's funny is that you could sort of see them experimenting with it a bit in Crucible of Storms with items like Harbringer's Inscrutable Will. Gives you extra mechanic to dodge but if you fuck up you get silenced.

Then corruption rolls around and it's just "if you fuck this up your healer is going to hate you". Pretty disappointing as a concept.
    And at the end of the day all that the DPS care about are the DPS meters. The penalty to corruption should be reflected on their performance. Some ideas could be a temporary disarm/silence or debuff to their damage when they fail the corruption mechanics.

@Nikeyla

im primarily a dps, but ive healed and tanked aswell.
    boss mechanics are usually a group effort to deal with.
    the corruption side effects are upfront a pita for the individual player to deal with. of course if the player chose to ignore the side effects, it becomes a healer problem.
    personally ive played with between 25-59 corruption depending on the content. deciding how much side effects i can deal with? can my healers deal with what i cant deal with? and is the dps increase worth it? which is interesting to me.

sounds to me like you should either find better players to play with.
    or if its such a horrible burden to be a healer, dont heal, join the dark side of "dps-baddies".
    or youre angry for being called out on your under pefrormance and try to put the blame on something else.
    either way, hate to burst your bubble, but all dps arnt idiots and all healers arnt god gamers.
    Last edited by mojusk; 2020-05-25 at 12:29 PM.

I am just annoyed that i farmed an grinded for months, thought i would be done now and just hoper for drop luck and all that shit starts again to farm this bullshit...

Quote Originally Posted by mojusk View Post
    @Nikeyla

im primarily a dps, but ive healed and tanked aswell.
    boss mechanics are usually a group effort to deal with.
    the corruption side effects are upfront a pita for the individual player to deal with. of course if the player chose to ignore the side effects, it becomes a healer problem.
    personally ive played with between 25-59 corruption depending on the content. deciding how much side effects i can deal with? can my healers deal with what i cant deal with? and is the dps increase worth it? which is interesting to me.

sounds to me like you should either find better players to play with.
    or if its such a horrible burden to be a healer, dont heal, join the dark side of "dps-baddies".
    or youre angry for being called out on your under pefrormance and try to put the blame on something else.
    either way, hate to burst your bubble, but all dps arnt idiots and all healers arnt god gamers.
    No they aren't but players tend to want the path of least resistance for themselves. Eating Grand delusions/Eye of corruption damage is easier than moving/using CDs to deal with it. That's a fact. Nothing about the system really teaches people to take ownership of it because those mechanics don't outright kill people and can largely be offset by healer just outhealing the damage.

The argument being presented is that if it had a direct impact on a players ability to do damage then there'd be far more reason for the individual player to mitigate it to the best of their degree.

Quote Originally Posted by VinceVega View Post
    I am just annoyed that i farmed an grinded for months, thought i would be done now and just hoper for drop luck and all that shit starts again to farm this bullshit...
    No-ones putting a gun to your head to get your BiS corruption affixes. If you're getting by with relatively ok pieces then there is no requirement to farm further.

If having more options annoys you then just ignore those options, nothing bad will happen if you do.

No they aren't but players tend to want the path of least resistance for themselves. Eating Grand delusions/Eye of corruption damage is easier than moving/using CDs to deal with it. That's a fact. Nothing about the system really teaches people to take ownership of it because those mechanics don't outright kill people and can largely be offset by healer just outhealing the damage.

The argument being presented is that if it had a direct impact on a players ability to do damage then there'd be far more reason for the individual player to mitigate it to the best of their degree.

No-ones putting a gun to your head to get your BiS corruption affixes. If you're getting by with relatively ok pieces then there is no requirement to farm further.

If having more options annoys you then just ignore those options, nothing bad will happen if you do.
    Actually they do^^ It is expectet of us to get the best out of our character. Which i gladly do normally. Let me grind and slave over it. But at some point you are normally done. Now i is extended for antoher two months...

I won't get kicked out because my raid group likes each other but it would be not fair to the people who do it.

Quote Originally Posted by VinceVega View Post
    Actually they do^^ It is expectet of us to get the best out of our character. Which i gladly do normally. Let me grind and slave over it. But at some point you are normally done. Now i is extended for antoher two months...

I won't get kicked out because my raid group likes each other but it would be not fair to the people who do it.
    If you're constantly slaving over getting BiS items that's a conscious decision you are making. If it's making you unhappy, stop doing it.

The difference between best corruptions and good corruptions don't tend to be astronomical. If you genuinely feel that you wouldn't be able to get a kill without best corruptions then the reality is your raiding guild has far bigger problems to deal with.

Quote Originally Posted by Segus1992 View Post
    I always thought Corruption was a great idea for a replacement for Titanforging, but it definitely needed more balancing time before it was shipped, and the vendor should've been there right off the bat.

The way they shipped it meant the idea was killed and won't return, even though it would still be great in SL with the right iterations.
    Corruption gear should be a permanent thing in wow. We fight old gods and shit all the time but never fucking add something like infinite stars or twilight devastation again.

- - - Updated - - -

If you're constantly slaving over getting BiS items that's a conscious decision you are making. If it's making you unhappy, stop doing it.

The difference between best corruptions and good corruptions don't tend to be astronomical. If you genuinely feel that you wouldn't be able to get a kill without best corruptions then the reality is your raiding guild has far bigger problems to deal with.
    It is on certain classes. There is a massive gap for masterful on fire mages and infinite stars is massive for demon hunters because of ppm.

https://bloodmallet.com/index.html#mage_fire
    Last edited by Varvara Spiros Gelashvili; 2020-05-25 at 01:27 PM.
    Violence Jack Respects Women!

Quote Originally Posted by ViolenceJackRespectsWomen View Post
    It is on certain classes. There is a massive gap for masterful on fire mages and infinite stars is massive for demon hunters because of ppm.

https://bloodmallet.com/index.html#shaman_restoration
    That's why I used the phrase "doesn't tend to be". Most of our mages had like maybe 2 or 3 masterfuls corruptions prior to the vendors and they were doing fine. Having more masterfuls definitely helps with their DPS but by no means was it ever a requirement.

Even so fights like N'zoth are very mechanically heavy, increased DPS is not going to be help you with people wasting their own sanity, dropping anguish in stupid places or other stupid bullshit like that.

That's why I used the phrase "doesn't tend to be". Most of our mages had like maybe 2 or 3 masterfuls corruptions prior to the vendors and they were doing fine. Having more masterfuls definitely helps with their DPS but by no means was it ever a requirement.

Even so fights like N'zoth are very mechanically heavy, increased DPS is not going to be help you with people wasting their own sanity, dropping anguish in stupid places or other stupid bullshit like that.
    Yes, I should of read more. I just hate some people being reward and others not while doing the same content because of a random number... That is my issue with this game. It's massively unrewarding from a gear standpoint but that problem is fixable. Blizzard chooses not to fix it.
    Violence Jack Respects Women!

@Great Destiny Man
    ive seen more deaths to grand delusions than i like.
    and i/the players i play with dont point at healers for those deaths.
    we laugh it of at farm content, but a grand delusion death on progress is simply a no go. or if the the healers are struggling to keep the raid alive, and we see ppl who take alot of dmg from corruptions effects or mechanics that they couldnt move out of because corruption slow. they are being told to play with less.
    the xtra dps is great, but not if you die from it.

so you are just wrong, blame baddies, not the corruption.

@Kehego
    where in my post did i say i wanted bis immediately? at least my intention is to find a happy medium, with both rng and a deterministic grind.
    ive been farming 16-18s all week and plan on pushing up to at least a 21, to get a big fat chest next wednesday.
    im no pro god gamer, but i consider myself a good chunk above average both in skill and effort.

but it really doesnt matter what level i and others play at. making your character progressivly stronger to overcome more and more challanging content, is what the game should be all about.
    Last edited by mojusk; 2020-05-25 at 01:39 PM.