Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    As someone who's actually currently leveling all classes simultaneously on a new character, I dislike BLM but in no way is it the slowest to level.

Does it feel sluggish? Sure. It's still quicker at killing things than plenty of others, and if you're saying TTK isn't important for leveling time, I dunno what you're talking about. Dungeons? Faster TTK means faster dungeon runs. Questing? Same thing, clear objectives quicker.

Running a timer and comparing doesn't work unless you have a very big pool of data because there are a ton of other variables that impact it, such as what kind of groups you're getting in dungeons. You could have the quickest class in the game, but if you're with a bad group in a dungeon, that's going to negatively impact your leveling time more than any class differences.

It also completely depends on what kind of content you're doing in the first place. If you're spamming dungeons then yes tanks and healers will level faster than a BLM, but that's because of queue times, which are the same for any DPS class. If you're doing PotD or solo content, BLM absolutely beats healer classes at the very least (and most likely others too), because healer TTK is abysmal and TTK is the most important thing if you're blowing through PotD floors or quest objectives.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Oblivion View Post
    ttk is from when your first cast hits to the mob dying, that is not a relevant stat for what i am saying. my point is, from 1-30, blm is the slowest job to level. that is it. not the play style. not that it cant kill mobs. that it is the slowest. i main caster dps, i play blm. i like the play style.

if you set a timer, that doesnt stop from job level 1 until 30, you will find BLM lagging behind all other jobs.
    You make no sense at all.
    If a black mage kills mobs faster than a healer, what exactly is supposed to slow him down during leveling to end up taking longer than the healer? DPS dungeon waiting time excluded for obvious reasons.

Everything else you do during leveling is the same for both classes, except for the class quests.

it is the slowest by a HUGE margin while leveling. combat ttk is irrelevant. you just have a lack of experience if you think blm is the fastest low levelingjob
    Nah.

You are wrong, I have all the jobs at lvl 30++ (most are 50) as they were required to do job quests.
    BLM is one of the fastest.

It's also the strongest class in PotD, you can clear whole rooms alone because you 1- or 2-shot everything.

It also deals significant more damage in dungeons in low levels, it's AoE is also the strongest and most consistent pre 50 (and maybe beyond, dunno, I stopped playing BLM after HW).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by KrayZ33 View Post
    It also deals significant more damage in dungeons in low levels, it's AoE is also the strongest and most consistent pre 50 (and maybe beyond, dunno, I stopped playing BLM after HW).
    Dancer would like to have a word with you.
    Unless they got hit by the nerfbat.

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    Dancer would like to have a word with you.
    Unless they got hit by the nerfbat.
    Dancer is lvl 60 though, isn't it?
    But yeah, when they get adjusted, I can imagine them doing a lot of AoE or even ST damage in low levels, because even their combo starters do have quite a bit of potency from the get go.

Do Dancers in low level dungeons have access to the same skills as lvl 60 Dancers?

I didn't play any of the Shadowbringer classes yet.
    My experience at lvl 50+ comes from BLM/BRD/SAM/DRG/SCH-SUM/MCH
    and up to lvl 30 WHM,MNK.

No AST, RDM, DRK, DNC, GNB, NIN
    Last edited by KrayZ33; 2020-05-25 at 12:33 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    But yeah, when they get adjusted, I can imagine them doing a lot of AoE or even ST damage in low levels, because even their combo starters do have quite a bit of potency from the get go.

Do Dancers in low level dungeons have access to the same skills as lvl 60 Dancers?

I didn't play any of the Shadowbringer classes yet.
    My experience at lvl 50+ comes from BLM/BRD/SAM/DRG/SCH-SUM/MCH
    and up to lvl 30 WHM,MNK.

No AST, RDM, DRK, DNC, GNB, NIN
    DNC does start at 60, but its AoE abilities hit pretty hard, especially at low levels. Standard Step is lvl 15, and is 1k pot (assuming you hit both correct, which you should its only 2 dance skills). Standard Step alone is going to chunk low lvl dungeons pretty easily. The only things a lvl 50 DNC is missing that a 60 has is their dash, curing waltz, shield samba, and dance partner. So they're not missing out really on any dmg skill.

also its SMN not SUM
    Last edited by Kaelwryn; 2020-05-25 at 12:45 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    So during the rebroadcasts of old live letters YoshiP has been answering or reminiscing about stuff http://ff14net.2chblog.jp/archives/56785603.html
    all the comments have been translated on the FF14 reddit and such that link is just the source.

Main one I'm glad to hear is it seems they resolved the remote development now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Umm now that you mention it: yes, they start at lv 60. Totally forgotten about that. But they are ridonculous when they get scaled back into lowbob content.

Nah.

You are wrong, I have all the jobs at lvl 30++ (most are 50) as they were required to do job quests.
    BLM is one of the fastest.

It's also the strongest class in PotD, you can clear whole rooms alone because you 1- or 2-shot everything.

nah you just are inexperienced. BLM is the literal slowest pre 30. you can go set a timer yourself and find out. facts are facts, your opinion does not matter.

nah you just are inexperienced. BLM is the literal slowest pre 30. you can go set a timer yourself and find out. facts are facts, your opinion does not matter.
    Nice troll.
    Even if I did that you wouldn't believe it. So whats the point, I'm not wasting my time just because you have no idea what you are talking about.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comme...hile_leveling/

oh look, seems like it's common knowledge that BLM kills stuff the fastest. Darn, seems like your "inexperience" is showing oh jeez oh.

Would explain why in ARR most people went mit BLMs as DPS, would also explain why dungeon runs with 2 BLMS were way faster than with BRDs etc. even though BRDs were absolutely nuts in ARR.
    Last edited by KrayZ33; 2020-05-25 at 08:18 PM.

Nice troll.
    Even if I did that you wouldn't believe it. So whats the point, I'm not wasting my time just because you have no idea what you are talking about.
    you are doing some strong projecting lol

you are doing some strong projecting lol
    If you say so.

Nice troll.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comme...hile_leveling/

oh look, seems like it's common knowledge that BLM kills stuff the fastest. Darn, seems like your "inexperience" is showing oh jeez oh.

Would explain why in ARR most people went mit BLMs as DPS, would also explain why dungeon runs with 2 BLMS were way faster than with BRDs etc. even though BRDs were absolutely nuts in ARR.
    that was 2 years ago before more jobs got stripped of early game abilities

Quote Originally Posted by Nasuuna View Post
    that was 2 years ago before more jobs got stripped of early game abilities
    What?
    Fire1?

What?
    Fire1?
    so I actually started playing SHB

the only jobs I've not leveled pre 30 this xpac are bard and whm

Arcanist is the only one slower than blm

so I actually started playing SHB

the only jobs I've not leveled pre 30 this xpac are bard and whm

Arcanist is the only one slower than blm
    Explain. What makes Tanks/Healers faster.
    Or Melee DPS.
    Avg potency of fire1 is higher than combos of Lancers on lvl 20 for example.
    You are ranged, you can start every fight with 1 Astral fire (that's actually 40% damage improvement for the first spell compared to what was possible in ARR), you can start sniping from range, most classes get their movement abilities late and they are on cooldowns.
    At lvl 20 you get Astral Fire 2, at level 42 you get the insta-gib proc that will kill almost any open world NPC in 2-3 GCDs. The only slog I could think of would be somewhere around 30-39.

If you are talking about "slow" and mean "boring" I'd agree. BLM kills mobs faster than most other classes, if not all, certainly not 3-4x slower though and most certainly not slower than tanks and healers.

I just went with my Squadron to check, Fire 1 still kicks ass, nothing changed.
    Last edited by KrayZ33; 2020-05-25 at 08:49 PM.

Or Melee DPS.
    You are ranged, you can start every fight with 1 Astral fire (that's actually 40% damage improvement for the first spell compared to what was possible in ARR), you can start sniping from range, most classes get their movement abilities late and they are on cooldowns.
    At lvl 20 you get Astral Fire 2, at level 42 you get the insta-gib proc that will kill almost any open world NPC in 2-3 GCDs. The only slog I could think of would be somewhere around 30-39.

If you are talking about "slow" and mean "boring" I'd agree. BLM kills mobs faster than most other classes, if not all, certainly not 3-4x slower though and most certainly not slower than tanks and healers.

lancer specifically gets double damage buffs super super early

tanks/healers have 0 downtime

lancer specifically gets double damage buffs super super early

Buff"s"? Every 45 seconds for one Thrust, and it's a 50% increase, not 100%.
    Not a single class has any downtime in FFXIV. Unless you are talking about dungeon spamming?
    Last edited by KrayZ33; 2020-05-25 at 09:25 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you're having downtime on a BLM, you're doing it wrong. O_o

Esp considering that you rarely need to kill more than 3 mobs for a quest.

What ARE you doing to level? Mobgrinds?!

Or Melee DPS.

nobody cares about killing 1 mob. if you actually played all the jobs from 1 to 40, you would see how much longer it takes BLM compared to the rest. your opinions dont change reality.

you seem to think TTK 1 mob is what determines leveling speed, you are wrong. When leveling BLM is hindered early by mana gates, needing to use a weak ability to use a strong one, no oGCD, downtime, lack of multi mob ability in the world, worthless AA (all casters have this).

The 3 largest impacts are no oGCD, when you level, you routinely kill a mob with just these, no AA when low level, this is where melee strongly pulls ahead in total time to level, and total time spent casting. BLM will naturally have the most time spent casting of any caster dps, including healers, while they have a low TTK any single mob, when chaining together the slow down increases significantly. Melee have only running down time between mobs, this run time is far less then BLM cast times at low level. None of this even accounts for the fact that when leveling, you will be getting hit from time to time, BLM is the most negatively impacted of any job by this.

BLM can and will insta gib mobs, the thing is, all jobs do that now. Everyone can instagib world mobs. But all other jobs do it with less cast time, less total cast time, and by using oGCD's.

this is my last reply to you, as you seem to ignore facts. if you dont believe me, i dont care. play every job from 1-30 yourself and time it. BLM WILL be the slowest in total time.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    If you're having downtime on a BLM, you're doing it wrong. O_o

Esp considering that you rarely need to kill more than 3 mobs for a quest.

What ARE you doing to level? Mobgrinds?!
    this just shows you have very little experience. you WILL have downtime. its not a lot, but it does exist.