Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Trump Supporters and Anti-PC crowd are at it again

Her post was in response to a tweet from CNN’s chief White House correspondent Jim Acosta, who wrote “Trump at diabetes event at WH: ‘I don’t use insulin. Should I be?'”

Griffin commented on Acosta’s tweet, saying “Syringe with nothing but air inside it would do the trick. F— TRUMP.”

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...051826412.html
    This is really not about whether or not you find Kathy Griffin funny or not, this is about a free citizen making a choice to express herself about the Trump, so how or why are people calling for her to be arrested?

I can understand if she gets banned from Twitter again that is NOT the government they are a private company, I do find it Ironic that people on the Alt-Right seem to have a problem with her suggestions of harm but not Trumps.

What is your opinion

Is this a free speech issue?
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't threats have to be very specific for them to be legally actionable? Like you have to specify that you're going to do whatever harm? Just saying kill yourself isn't enough. Which is essentially what she did since Trump's the one that brought up injecting himself with something in the first place. So while it may be in poor taste, she shouldn't be in any legal trouble.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Karrotlord View Post
    Don't threats have to be very specific for them to be legally actionable? Like you have to specify that you're going to do whatever harm? Just saying kill yourself isn't enough. Which is essentially what she did since Trump's the one that brought up injecting himself with something in the first place. So while it may be in poor taste, she shouldn't be in any legal trouble.
    Geez, if telling someone to kill themself alone was enough to be arrested, 1/2 the gamer population would be behind bars.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Karrotlord View Post
    No not really, I mean ANYTHING can be deemed a threat so long as the person being addressed suggest they have a legitimate fear for their safety, as to the law they can never really determine that. They can determine if whatever complaint is reasonable to rise to the level of actionable.

The question here does her comment cross the line, I would say in any polite conversation yes. Is it illegal, I am going to say NO. Will it likely get her another visit from Secret Service Maybe.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    Geez, if telling someone to kill themself alone was enough to be arrested, 1/2 the gamer population would be behind bars.
    Yeah, but if you tell someone that who is vulnerable and you think they might do it, Trump or not I think that is problematic. The issue for debate here is Trump Supporters often talk about being Anti-PC and being for an absolute first amendment even at the expense of private business.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Trump and his Trumpanzees being hypocrites is not exactly news. Free speech and freedom from consequences of abusing said free speech only applies to them.

Either way, I don't believe her comment was specific enough to constitute as a threat. In poor taste for sure, but she never was about good taste IIRC.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    I lol'd, because it's true.

Didn't people go up in arms when Trump said something about injecting disinfectant? Seems kinda similar to me... so it's fair people get up in arms about that comment. Arrested though? nah...
    Error 404 - Signature not found

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    Yeah, but if you tell someone that who is vulnerable and you think they might do it, Trump or not I think that is problematic. The issue for debate here is Trump Supporters often talk about being Anti-PC and being for an absolute first amendment even at the expense of private business.
    I think in this case, if someone takes your suggestion and goes with it, there might be grounds for incitement. Maybe? I'm not sure what the legal term is or if it's even widely actionable yet. I know it's come up before.

Quote Originally Posted by Kumorii View Post
    Didn't people go up in arms when Trump said something about injecting disinfectant? Seems kinda similar to me... so it's fair people get up in arms about that comment. Arrested though? nah...
    My above reply should apply to Trump too. He suggested something truly dumb and dangerous and if people actually died as a result, he should be held accountable in some way. With Kathy it's harder unless some doctor gets it in their head to assassinate Trump that way during a physical or something.

As for being Anti-PC, I lean more often that way than not but I'm also no Trump lover so really, IDGAF as long as you don't break the law.

This is really not about whether or not you find Kathy Griffin funny or not, this is about a free citizen making a choice to express herself about the Trump, so how or why are people calling for her to be arrested?

I can understand if she gets banned from Twitter again that is NOT the government they are a private company, I do find it Ironic that people on the Alt-Right seem to have a problem with her suggestions of harm but not Trumps.

What is your opinion

I know this will come as a shock to the throngs that buy that kind of narrative, but being a Trump supporter has nothing to do with being anti-PC.
    That being said, Twitter is a private company and blah blah blah, though it seems to me that she was not calling for an actual assassination and just indulged in a vitriolic comeback, so I see no problem in that specific case (although she did post a picture of herself holding a gory decapitated-Trump prop jihadi-style, and that was perhaps worth an arrest or at the very least a fine, because one thing is free speech and another one is hate speech and incitement to commit a crime).
    Quote Originally Posted by Adolecent View Post
    I'm getting infracted by an American moderator on an American topic promoting/advocating weapons on a childrens forum, what else to expect on an American forum. I'm done here and i'm going to leave you one thing to remember:
    [extremely graphic picture of dead children]
    Hope you sleep well. With the lack of empathy the majority of you show i guess that won't be a problem. BB

What is your opinion

It is, which is, why convictions for threatening the president are rather rare, and involved rather specific language and actions. There was one for example, with the convicted explicitly stating, repeatedly, he would kill Wilson, had he the opportunity, someone posting multiple posters, calling for lynching Roosevelt... an explicit threat to kill G.W. Bush and then rape and kill his wife, and somebody who said "he has dedicated his life to the death of Barack Obama, and every employee of the federal givernment, after the healthcare reform bill was passed, he would become a Terrorist". And by his own words "has become a terrorist".

10+ Year Old Account
    She is conveying her disdain for your president by using hyperbole.

Shouldn't give Trumpsters or any like minded group any credit when they yell "my free speech". They love to use that any time they feel undermined or "attacked". But, the herd goes along with it

This is the president who pranced about as a successful business man and yet is saying that will do something about twitter "stifling free speech"

7+ Year Old Account
    No.

No not really, I mean ANYTHING can be deemed a threat so long as the person being addressed suggest they have a legitimate fear for their safety, as to the law they can never really determine that. They can determine if whatever complaint is reasonable to rise to the level of actionable.

The question here does her comment cross the line, I would say in any polite conversation yes. Is it illegal, I am going to say NO. Will it likely get her another visit from Secret Service Maybe.
    Objectively false. A threat is a statement of intent to cause harm, injury or death. In the context of law, it includes circumstances which may prevent someone from acting of their own free will. Regardless, in all cases, intent must be demonstrated. "Syringe with nothing but air inside it would do the trick. F— TRUMP," is not a threat, in any context.

People need to stop calling everything a "threat" or "death threat". Especially the media, in the case of the latter. If there's no statement of intent, it's not a threat. Period. Eg, "I'm going to kill you," is a death threat. "Just kill yourself", "Die in a fire", etc are not.

Hmm.. leader of USA spreading a message that can lead to many people killing themselves, versus a comedian saying she wants the president dead... yeah those aren't similar.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think there is anything there that is legally actionable, you see things as bad as that posted here for goodness sakes. Trump is exceedingly unlikely to be genuinely threatened by a person with a syringe of air EVER, it's a scenario that is clearly meant to be absurd.

That being said, it's in poor taste, as is most of what she does. I will support her right to criticize the President, I just REALLY wish she'd voluntarily stop being so cringeworthy about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynarii View Post
    I don't think there is anything there that is legally actionable, you see things as bad as that posted here for goodness sakes. Trump is exceedingly unlikely to be genuinely threatened by a person with a syringe of air EVER, it's a scenario that is clearly meant to be absurd.

That being said, it's in poor taste, as is most of what she does. I will support her right to criticize the President, I just REALLY wish she'd voluntarily stop being so cringeworthy about it.
    Jokes are killing or the deaths of leaders are very common, conservatives did it all the time.

In an ironic twist, the d-bag who hanged an effigy of his governor... has been fired from his place of employment.

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireSt...d-job-70908368

Free speech and the free markets once again come out on top.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    Jokes are killing or the deaths of leaders are very common, conservatives did it all the time.
    Most of those were pretty cringeworthy as well at best, and some of them were genuine threats. Just 'cause they're even worse doesn't make me sigh less at her.

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    Hmm.. leader of USA spreading a message that can lead to many people killing themselves, versus a comedian saying she wants the president dead... yeah those aren't similar.
    Sure, you can think that.

What is your opinion

I think you should be able to say whatever you want. The thing that enrages me, is that if Obama said some of the exact things Trump has, celebrities/CNN wouldn't care. Also, it would be a big deal if like... Some guy on Fox news said about Obama what Griffin said about Trump, but because she says it about Trump, it's much more ok. Key example: How much attention did non Fox News sources give the alligations that woman made against Biden? Where was the celebrity outrage?

Quote Originally Posted by Cruor View Post
    I think you should be able to say whatever you want. The thing that enrages me, is that if Obama said some of the exact things Trump has, celebrities/CNN wouldn't care. Also, it would be a big deal if like... Some guy on Fox news said about Obama what Griffin said about Trump, but because she says it about Trump, it's much more ok. Key example: How much attention did non Fox News sources give the alligations that woman made against Biden? Where was the celebrity outrage?
    "if Obama did it"

Sorry but Obama isn't a pure idiot of a person, whose only job was being a reality tv star who has a history of raping women, touching women, and making fun of disabled people. So why in the ever loving fuck do you think Obama would say the same stupid shit as your lord and saviour?

- - - Updated - - -

Sure, you can think that.
    Wait so you think a person saying they want the president dead, is the same as the president addressing millions of people suggesting something that can kill them as a good thing???

It seems the simple act of thought has escaped you.

Quote Originally Posted by Saninicus View Post
    It's just comedy bro. That sure wasn't the vibe I got when that has been held up the bloody head of trump with a stern look on her face.
    Indeed, only difference is who said it and who it targets. What's being said is irrelevant. Dislike that. I think people being up in arms about any of this are bonkers... they are just adamant they are sane while the others are bonkers. It's weird.

Wait so you think a person saying they want the president dead, is the same as the president addressing millions of people suggesting something that can kill them as a good thing???

It seems the simple act of thought has escaped you.
    I'm saying if one suggesting injecting something, and another suggest injecting something. People who would believe it are in danger regardless of who said it... I think anyone doing any of it only have themselves to blame. I do not think they are different though.

But sure, "you don't agree thus you don't think"..classy
    Last edited by Kumorii; 2020-05-27 at 08:45 PM.