Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    She's the Arbiter, not an arbiter. It's a title, not a job.

As a female, Arbitress just sounds flat out stupid. Arbiter sounds so much better.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kansor View Post
    Also sounds cooler and more unique IMO

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/arbitress
    So a female President would be a Presidentess?

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

The english language rarely genders descriptors like these, especially if it's a solitary role where no further distinction is required.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

Quote Originally Posted by valky94 View Post
    you dont see female druids get called druidess now do you?
    You do see female priests being called priestesses, though
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxos View Post
    When you play the game of MMOs, you win or you go f2p.

10+ Year Old Account
    Seems an arbitrary distinction

10+ Year Old Account
    Arbichick.

Quote Originally Posted by valky94 View Post
    you dont see female druids get called druidess now do you?
    That's because there are no female druids in the canon lore.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    Arbichick.
    The official term is "Arbint".
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

There's no reason to have to put gender on the Arbiter's title.

It's not a profession where there's any sort of differentiation between genders, nor is it a title that enjoys any sort of widespread representation in the Shadowlands. There's only one Arbiter, and only one being capable of filling that role (as far as we know). That the being filling that role is female has zero meaning.

Also, different tastes. Personally, I don't think 'Arbitress' sounds very cool at all. Not any cooler than 'Arbiter' anyway.

Do we call female Hunters Huntress or just Hunters?

Quote Originally Posted by Mrkew View Post
    That's because there are no female druids in the canon lore*.

* before WoW
    Fixed that for you.

As for priestess, a normal female priest is rarely called priestess in modern english either. Priestess in fantasy usually refers to the shrine/temple maiden kind one might find in antiquity. I think the distinction is mainly made by nelfs in WoW, since they historically were the ones that had gender exclusive priests. Same with the huntress example.

Quote Originally Posted by Airlick View Post
    You do see female priests being called priestesses, though
    That's only used when it's specificially refering to a female in a group or specific, predominantly female, orders, though. I.e. if its a notable feature. The Arbiter isn't likely to be confused with anybody on account of being a unique being in a unique position.

You don't even know what her actual gender is. So no.

Why does he/she/it have a gender anyways?
    It's not like it's a living being. The arbiter won't ever reproduce. The binary distinction between male and female only applies to most higher animals (humans included), because that was nature's way of ensuring optimal evolution.
    In WoW, most (all?) living beings were created by the titans and cursed by the old gods. Somewhere along the way lies the explanation for sexual dimorphism on Azeroth, but I don't think there's a canon explanation for it.

But why the arbiter should have a gender will probably never adressed in lore. It should be "it", but it's humanoid looking. And that is the problem:
    Everything that resembles a human will be classified by its appearance first: Has it boobs? Yes? Okay, "she". No? "He". If it's not clear, then gender is determinded by voice. Now, does the arbiter look very feminin? Arguably so, but not definitly. So assigning a gender to something very androgyn looking makes really no sense at first glance, but I'm sure the arbiter will be voiceacted, so it has to have a gender (or player instictively give it one, based on it's voice). Meaning, its gender will have absolutely no effect and was just chosen based on the voice it is given.

That means, that Arbiter (generic masculine) is its name, because its gender does not matter at all for anything other than voiceacting (and because humans will always categorize something humanoid into male or female).

15+ Year Old Account
    Im for calling em "Arbiperson" or "Arbibeing" so nobody gets offended.
    PROUD TRUMP SUPPORTER, #2024Trump #MAGA
    PROUD TRUMP CAMPAIGN SUPPORTER #SaveEuropeWithTrump
    PROUD SUPPORTER OF THE WALL
    BLUE LIVES MATTER
    NO TO ALL GUNCONTROL OR BACKGROUND CHECKS IN EUROPE
    /s

More and more things are moving to the gender neutral form of expression, as the gendered terms just no longer matter really.

Quote Originally Posted by Frolk View Post
    Im for calling em "Arbiperson" or "Arbibeing" so nobody gets offended.
    You're probably trolling, but Arbiter is gender neutral.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thetruth1400 View Post
    More and more things are moving to the gender neutral form of expression, as the gendered terms just no longer matter really.

You're probably trolling, but Arbiter is gender neutral.
    I am trolling, cause this thread is a joke.
    PROUD TRUMP SUPPORTER, #2024Trump #MAGA
    PROUD TRUMP CAMPAIGN SUPPORTER #SaveEuropeWithTrump
    PROUD SUPPORTER OF THE WALL
    BLUE LIVES MATTER
    NO TO ALL GUNCONTROL OR BACKGROUND CHECKS IN EUROPE
    /s

Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    That's only used when it's specificially refering to a female in a group or specific, predominantly female, orders, though. I.e. if its a notable feature. The Arbiter isn't likely to be confused with anybody on account of being a unique being in a unique position.
    Yeah, this applies to positions of power and offices, as well. From the priest example, there can be positions such as Head Priest, or there an be Cardinal, Deacon, Reverend, etc... and there is no gender assumption with the roles as far as the title goes. Generic positions tend to have gender-specific descriptors, such as priest/priestess, host/hostess, and so forth. However, even the generic position references don't necessarily even bother with pointing out the gender of the person, as it generally doesn't (and shouldn't) matter what gender they are.

I'd imagine lore-wise The Arbiter wouldn't care about using "correct" pronouns and gender-specific terminology anyways. If this wasn't the case, my hopes for SL would probably sink pretty low.
    “Society is endangered not by the great profligacy of a few, but by the laxity of morals amongst all.”
    “It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights — the 'right' to education, the 'right' to health care, the 'right' to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery — hay and a barn for human cattle.”
    ― Alexis de Tocqueville

I demand to be called a playeress instead of a player.