Quote Originally Posted by Geisl View Post
    Exactly. This is a big hurdle overcome.

They've stated character customization is never going to stop. People can now continue to further ask for what they wish, given that they've received a very big one!

"Don't give up hope!" Afrasiabi emphasized that for a reason
    You know, with game development being a few years out, they probably already knew they were doing customization options when he said that. They may have even already planned the High Elf options for Void Elves way back too, possibly even when they made Void Elves. Like "Let's make these ones the AR, and save these ones for customization options."

Then of course they would have to deny for several years that it was happening or else it would spill the beans, which is just bad for hype and business all around. But they didn't want us to get too discouraged since they knew it was coming, so dropped little hints like this one here and there.

Basically, I doubt they just decided last week to do this.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Highelf View Post
    The internal reasonings were Ion just didn't want it. Because you know, somewhere down the line they'll have all the customizations including hair and will probably add HE tattoos to both BE and VE too. Don't get me wrong, it nice to see it going in the right direction, just seems like they're trying to fix a mistake.
    I think it's obvious they were. Or like Fossil suggests, they most likely had planned High Elves for later and didn't want to spill the beans, coming out with VE first.

I was already saying back then that it most likely sounds more convincing to come out with something like Void Elves first, then come out later with High Elves. It's the same thing that happened with Dwarves, where Dark Iron came before Wildhammer.

I also think VE were a big mistake because, as I've said this before too, the High Elf request was never as organized/prevalent until Void Elves came out. They ignited the request, because the same statements made to apply against adding High Elves applied to Void Elves even more so. As I, and others (including Taliesin) were saying.

Thanks to the organization of people like @Traycor and @DeicideUH and others like those in the High Elf Discord, Official Forums, and elsewhere. We get to celebrate after just a few years.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by FossilFree View Post
    You know, with game development being a few years out, they probably already knew they were doing customization options when he said that. They may have even already planned the High Elf options for Void Elves way back too, possibly even when they made Void Elves. Like "Let's make these ones the AR, and save these ones for customization options."

Then of course they would have to deny for several years that it was happening or else it would spill the beans, which is just bad for hype and business all around. But they didn't want us to get too discouraged since they knew it was coming, so dropped little hints like this one here and there.

Basically, I doubt they just decided last week to do this.
    I was already saying very long ago that it will sound more convincing to your bosses to come out with something more different first, then add in that request that isn't that much different later.

I'm sure Obelisk Kai can attest to that as well as I kept telling him that and he would hit back with "well what would be the point of adding Void Elves in the first place". Which I've already answered above.

It's the same vein as Dark Irons and Wildhammer.

7+ Year Old Account
    Also just want to point out it's hella funny how many people are going "so blood elves are basically neutral now" LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Geisl View Post
    I think it's obvious they were. Or like Fossil suggests, they most likely had planned High Elves for later and didn't want to spill the beans, coming out with VE first.

I was already saying back then that it most likely sounds more convincing to come out with something like Void Elves first, then come out later with High Elves. It's the same thing that happened with Dwarves, where Dark Iron came before Wildhammer.

I also think VE were a big mistake because, as I've said this before too, the High Elf request was never as organized/prevalent until Void Elves came out. They ignited the request, because the same statements made to apply against adding High Elves applied to Void Elves even more so. As I, and others (including Taliesin) were saying.

Thanks to the organization of people like @Traycor and @DeicideUH and others like those in the High Elf Discord, Official Forums, and elsewhere. We get to celebrate after just a few years.

- - - Updated - - -

I was already saying very long ago that it will sound more convincing to your bosses to come out with something more different first, then add in that request that isn't that much different later.

I'm sure Obelisk Kai can attest to that as well as I kept telling him that and he would hit back with "well what would be the point of adding Void Elves in the first place". Which I've already answered above.

It's the same vein as Dark Irons and Wildhammer.
    So true, it's painfully obvious now especially with the parallel of Dark Irons/Wildhammers!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Frenchvince View Post
    It was finally a good valid argument of Pro HE!
    I'd like to see how many resubs and tokens were purchased today .

Maybe that 7000 person queue to get on their server thread that I saw on the main forums earlier had something to do with it too?

Quote Originally Posted by Traycor View Post
    Really, they should change the names of some of the races on the character select screen. It should say Void Elf/High Elf. Trolls should include Sand Troll, Dwarves should include Wildhammer Dwarf.

It's an easy solve that wouldn't require changing the actual race name in-game. Just a simple nod to the player that the "race" is a wider grouping.
    In the case of Trolls and Dwarves -- I don't see why they should change the names on the select screen. "Dwarf" is an all-encompassing term, it includes all types of dwarves. Name-changing it to include Wildhammer Dwarves seems a bot redundant since "Dwarves" is more general and appropriate. The same applies to trolls. The Darkspear trolls currently playable are just called "Troll" in the race select screen. No need to specify

Quote Originally Posted by Austilias View Post
    As I said to Obelisk Kai not long ago: “If you want to play a High Elf, the Horde and the Alliance is there waiting for you.”

Looks like we get the last laugh
    they are blond elves?? oh no

Mmmhm. While it's still early to say for certain, nothing so far suggests they'll get hairstyles or colours that make them appear further High Elven. That could always change as there's plenty of time for it yet, but so far, it's looking like the 100% High Elf look remains a Horde option only.

5+ Year Old Account
    Isn't it funny that now @Obelisk Kai is saying that Void elves aren't High elves?

Wasn't it that Void elves were Blood elves that were High elves and all that twisted logic?

You know, it all doesn't count now because he just was proven irrelevant and want to try to maintain people arguing about more and more useless points, trying to make them hold some kind of grudge so he can maintain some sense of dignity. And, of course, his pride is too strong to accept he has never been right about being so contrary to the request.

People can now play High elves, just accept it. Maybe it's not as complete as some of us would have wanted it, nothing that can't be fixed, but now players can confidently create a character and tell to the world that it is a High elf, their High elf.

Hah, and what's funny tho is that now people can't simply give a damn about the blue eyes, since it was never such an issue, people contrary to the High elf request made it to be, as many other things, the antagonizing behavior from the contrary has been so toxic it's just like this is an act of retribution, and I hope this is also an opportunity for those people to reconsider the way they treated the request and the people that held it. Make it be a valuable lesson and drop your silly pride and ego.

This is it, this is the moment all of you stop thinking you have some kind of high ground, as if you ever had it in the first place, and start to grow some empathy towards other people.

Finally, players can play High elves. And, maybe some day, Blizzard revisits it and make them even more complete.

But don't forget that: Players can now properly play High elves, in the Alliance.

Also:

--- snip ---
    Last edited by Aucald; 2020-05-28 at 12:40 PM. Reason: Removed Meme Video

Quote Originally Posted by Aldo Hawk View Post
    Isn't it funny that now @Obelisk Kai is saying that Void elves aren't High elves?

Wasn't it that Void elves were Blood elves that were High elves and all that twisted logic?

You know, it all doesn't count now because he just was proven irrelevant and want to try to maintain people arguing about more and more useless points, trying to make them hold some kind of grudge so he can maintain some sense of dignity. And, of course, his pride is too strong to accept he has never been right about being so contrary to the request.

People can now play High elves, just accept it. Maybe it's not as complete as some of us would have wanted it, nothing that can't be fixed, but now players can confidently create a character and tell to the world that it is a High elf, their High elf.

Hah, and what's funny tho is that people now can't simply give a fuck about the stupid blue eyes, since it was never such an issue, people contrary to the High elf request made it to be, as many other things, the antagonizing behavior from the contrary has been so toxic it's just like this is an act of retribution, and I hope this is also an opportunity for those people to reconsider the way they treated the request and the people that holded it. Make it be a valuable lesson and kill your stupid pride and ego.

This is it, this is the moment all of you stop thinking you have some kind of high ground, as if you ever had it in the first place, and start to grow some empathy towards other people.

It's just a forum. Chill out.

You know something tho? I am happy with this, but, something feels off...

These feel kinda rushed -as per the clarification VE's will retain their underwear- if you look at these, they are very simple texture swaps that anyone can do really easily and fast...

This is not about this being a lie, but, what if the reason these dropped so suddenly, it's because bad news are incomming? But they'll go, hey, remember when you got Helves? that was fun!

or is this just paranoia?

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Redzonetode View Post
    It's just a forum. Chill out.
    I think I have never asked for that opinion, but I will put it into the 'might consider' box.

Quote Originally Posted by Aldo Hawk View Post

You can basically look at it in one of two ways.

1. High Elves <=> Blood Elves <=> Void Elves <=> High Elves and so on.

2. High Elves =/= Blood Elves =/= Void Elves =/= High Elves and so on.

Blizzard themselves go with Option 1 in most cases. Saying that these elven cultures are fundamentally one and the same, with the main split being political and/or philosophical.

Personally - I used to think Void Elves were the odd ones out. That their level of physical changes set them apart from from the other two elven groups, but those mutations are being sort of reverted in Shadowlands. So in my books, High Elves have been playable since TBC. This announcement is just cements that for the Horde - and introduces it to the Alliance in all but name now that the Void element is made semi-optional rather than mandatory to their race.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Verbatim View Post
    You can basically look at it in one of two ways.

1. High Elves <=> Blood Elves <=> Void Elves <=> High Elves and so on.

2. High Elves =/= Blood Elves =/= Void Elves =/= High Elves and so on.

Blizzard themselves go with Option 1 in most cases. Saying that these elven cultures are fundamentally one and the same, with the main split being political and/or philosophical.

Personally - I used to think Void Elves were the odd ones out. That their level of physical changes set them apart from from the other two elven groups, but those mutations are being sort of reverted in Shadowlands. So in my books, High Elves have been playable since TBC. This announcement is just cements that for the Horde - and introduces it to the Alliance in all but name now that the Void element is made semi-optional rather than mandatory to their race.
    I don't agree with that scheme.

I think it's obvious what is what, High elves are High elves, Blood elves are Blood elves, and Void elves are Void elves, and we should wait to see what this kind of new customization will mean before trying to rationalize over nothing.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am so happy, like, when the blue eyes were first datamined, it made me smile so hard, lol, i finally could make this high elf toon background story, of finally returning to Quel'thalas, with the new political ways of the Horde, with no warchief at all. Really put a smile on my face.

Then Ion came, and like the C&C Ion Cannon, destroyed the happiness i had, when he said the datamined blue eyes were for NPC only.

But with todays news, making it official, im like, tears of joy, haha, i know how silly this sound, but idk, im trully happy that blue eyes and having the option to RP a high elf will be a thing, on either side.

So yeah, it's happening, cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    not in this case no, the very point of how people despise void elves was because they were not rly the "high elves who were always alliance" they were part of the "betrayers who abandon their allies to go horde" not the "pure elves who never corrupt themselves" its those elves that we rly want!1!!

turns out that to majority it was just an excuse to get the white elves, because void elves didn't fit that, so they should add another allied race to fit their tastes, or give the void elves blood elf skin color

This at least show that HE are not a thing anymore, BE is the future of the HE race, you can get the same color with void elves who came form BE, the actually HE race, since their culture, people, homelands characters, story, is all there.

It will, now the people who genuinely cared about lore have nothing to stand on anymore, no support from their fellows, since to most of then, this is more than enough, and because this automatically kills any chance of HE allied race after all.
    Yes, this is true, hopes of a wild hammer, high elf, sand troll etc coming as playable allied races are all gone.

Blizzard could arrange new character creation to have templates that have the names of these groups so when you select Wildhanner template in the dward character creation, the wild hammer options are pushed ro the front with the other options hidden, it's like a soft way of letting you know you are playing a wild hammer

To use the hidden options, just deslect wildhammer after you've customised your toon and make additional changes with the full dwarf palette .

This is why I preferred the allied/sub race approach, it makes it all feel a lot more significant playing these sub races and groups - however all of them apart from Vulpera could have been included in the original races as customisations but then they would not have the depth and range they have as allied races

Still I suspect that without race customisations opening up we would never have been able to play certain groups either.

Allied races can be used for model change sub races like Mok'nathal, half orcs/elves and smaller races like possibly ogres
    Last edited by ravenmoon; 2020-05-28 at 06:41 AM.

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Frenchvince View Post
    OMG, Vereesa will never be the same.

She may finally have her new skin in SL.
    only took them 19 years to finally give her an actual character
    The Alliance gets the Horde's most popular race. The Horde should get the Alliance's most popular race in return. Alteraci Humans for the Horde!

I make Warcraft 3 Reforged HD custom models and I'm also an HD model reviewer.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pigglix View Post
    I am so happy, like, when the blue eyes were first datamined, it made me smile so hard, lol, i finally could make this high elf toon background story, of finally returning to Quel'thalas, with the new political ways of the Horde, with no warchief at all. Really put a smile on my face.

Then Ion came, and like the C&C Ion Cannon, destroyed the happiness i had, when he said the datamined blue eyes were for NPC only.

But with todays news, making it official, im like, tears of joy, haha, i know how silly this sound, but idk, im trully happy that blue eyes and having the option to RP a high elf will be a thing, on either side.

So yeah, it's happening, cheers!
    Cheers! That's what it's all about

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MyWholeLifeIsThunder View Post
    You know something tho? I am happy with this, but, something feels off...

These feel kinda rushed -as per the clarification VE's will retain their underwear- if you look at these, they are very simple texture swaps that anyone can do really easily and fast...

This is not about this being a lie, but, what if the reason these dropped so suddenly, it's because bad news are incomming? But they'll go, hey, remember when you got Helves? that was fun!

or is this just paranoia?
    Idk this sounds too vague, what kind of bad news? lol

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MyWholeLifeIsThunder View Post
    I really hope this is not just an aesthetic change and we actually get lore repercussions that include the High Elves.
    as said many times before, the only reason why Umbric and the PC got tinted was because of Durzaan's curse. The new generation of Void Elves weren't so they get to keep their fair skin
    The Alliance gets the Horde's most popular race. The Horde should get the Alliance's most popular race in return. Alteraci Humans for the Horde!

I make Warcraft 3 Reforged HD custom models and I'm also an HD model reviewer.

Quote Originally Posted by Broflake View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37OWL7AzvHo

Moving on

I cannot agree with the comparison. For one, the night elves already had lore which justified them getting mages and practicing arcane magic and the like. Lte alone it is a class, it is not a part of the overall theme for the night elves. Where as in the case of the blood elves, all the lore has currently been built with them being on the horde and being distinctly different from the high elf people. It helps to define factions, both in their appearance and what they offer.
    People opposed high elves because they want distinction to remain.
    I go to the alliance if I want to play a worgen, but when we water things down for the void elves why should we stop there?
    If all that matters is pleasing people aesthetically, then there really is no need to have the faction boundaries at such a point bcause what makes them distinctive design wise has been completely removed.

Hence, why I would oppose high elves just as I would oppose worgen on the Horde.

- - - Updated - - -

Errr...what about their racials though? Those generally tend to be ingrained for the VE's in particular.
    Not everyone who opposed high elves did so based on jealousy, I have generalised the fan base a bit, not everyone falls into that category, however the loudest opposers were often motivated by that sentiment.

Often if you say a thing enough times people will believe especially on trivial topics they dont necessarily have to actually think about and deceivers are great at making bogus arguments that never really mattered to create a sense of rightness for their cause which a little thinking can clearly unmask as bogus and as they intensely argue on, not giving way to reason you begin to suspect there is another motivation for this when no argument works.

Obelisk Kai was like this, Were all the things he said bogus? No, not at all, but his main argument for not having playable high elves in a game where new lore is made up and lore often ignored to give player things ended up making little sense.

Established lore isn't iron clad reason for changes not to happen, he fervently argued against people's desire, as if to use the lore to prove that you cant desire playable high elves, which was always silly. Many of the lore points he made were very accurate but the point of them was irrelevant, non of it is some real hinderance to blizzard making a model playable on another faction.

Blizzard first broke this exclusive mould when they made druids available on horde, mages and arcane magic too, previously exclusively alliance. And warlocks available to the alliance previously a horde exclusive..Then later blood elves on horde and shaman on alliance. Warlocks on alliance was a softer break of the exclusive tradition.

Wow from the get go opened a lot of things previously exclusive and gave new lore to explain it. We can never forget that if blood elves could go horde, then certainly things like high elves playable on alliance was nothing. And also ironic since they were alliance at the start. It is very similar to those arguing against night elven arcane magic, highborne and kaldorei cities because Nightborne have that and they are horde - when these things including the nightborne are a night elven thing. But they are blind to it

Some of these problem arguments exist because of poor understanding of the lore, and the purpose or goal of said Lore and this isnt necessarily the same as knowing the lore. You can know a lot of it, but still, have poor understanding going.

This has been clearly demonstrated to me again and again, most recently in some who have argued against highborne being night elven and the night elf empire being night elven... which is so stupid, but in an effort to try and make a case that night elves and the alliance shouldnt have a great and gorgeous magical elven city, shouldnt get a pretty majestic looking customisation to represent the highborne ones they make bogus arguments that they shouldn't have magic, not only completely ignoring that lore can be made up to support this but they've twisted their understanding of the current lore and missed the obvious, in the lore that clearly shows highborne and grand cities as well as great arcane magic strongly a part of the night elf race and its legacy. For some it's easy to make claims to many because it wasnt clearly visible in most of wow (Legion was the first time these things were clearly visible for the p,ayerbase, yet they were in the nightnelf lore from the WC3) and they ignore it even when pointed out showing you the real motivation is simple "I dont like it"
    Last edited by ravenmoon; 2020-05-28 at 07:22 AM.