Page 44 of 45 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by KrayZ33 View Post
    Is the difficulty different in that mode?

I like the challenge of bosses etc. I don't want to lose that, but I love building stuff and would love to use that function.

Otherwise it sounds great, I still have to find A several times until I can use it forever. So I can't really skip right ahead to meteorite without finding it first for example
    Journey Mode is essentially Terraria Creative Mode with some caveats - you have to unlock every item to be able to spawn them, and you can freely choose difficulty at any time (if you want to see what a boss drops at higher difficulty for example).

There's nothing to stop you from killing a boss on easy mode in Journey Mode, so you'd have to be your own moderator in that sense. If you want to though, you can turn on Master Mode for bosses.

Quote Originally Posted by Segus1992 View Post
    Journey Mode is essentially Terraria Creative Mode with some caveats - you have to unlock every item to be able to spawn them, and you can freely choose difficulty at any time (if you want to see what a boss drops at higher difficulty for example).

There's nothing to stop you from killing a boss on easy mode in Journey Mode, so you'd have to be your own moderator in that sense. If you want to though, you can turn on Master Mode for bosses.
    Okay, that's cool
    What happens to the "saved loot" when I switch back and forth? Does it reset or remain "saved" when I switch back?

Okay, that's cool
    What happens to the "saved loot" when I switch back and forth? Does it reset or remain "saved" when I switch back?
    What do you mean by saved loot? You mean the stuff you're able to spawn?

Either way, switching difficulty has no effect other than changing the loot tables on bosses and increase damage/health. No items should go away (haven't tested enough to actually know if that's always the case, but it's supposed to be very forgiving so I can't see that happening).

Is it possible to play Terraria without any guides/wiki whatsoever and experience 95% of content it has? Coz i've been playing for like 6 hours and many things are pretty much unclear unless you check wiki about what to do next.

Quote Originally Posted by Popastique View Post
    Is it possible to play Terraria without any guides/wiki whatsoever and experience 95% of content it has? Coz i've been playing for like 6 hours and many things are pretty much unclear unless you check wiki about what to do next.
    You can always ask your guide NPC for crafting recipes.

Possible, but not realistic. You could probably suss out some things, like using dynamite or purification powder to reach shadow orbs. Other things you'll probably just stumble across, like letting a guide voodoo doll fall into lava. Then you get to fishing in the ocean during a blood moon to rarely spawn unique enemies. Unless there's some NPC that tells you to do that I have no earthly idea how someone would figure that out. Thankfully that isn't required for progression.

If you're dead set on playing the game without a wiki open, just check out every new "material" item at the guide to see what you can make. If you can make a pickaxe with higher power than your current one, go for that. If you can make a boss summoning item, go for that. Keep an eye on the chat log, because it usually hints at where to go next when you beat progression bosses. Before the wall of flesh there isn't really much in the way of vertical progression. You don't even necessarily need to kill any of the other bosses. After that progression becomes much more obvious, with every new ore and every obvious boss being required to progress further.

That said, you would probably still want to use a wiki. You'll probably spend a lot of time running around in circles if you don't know where to head next.

What do you mean by saved loot? You mean the stuff you're able to spawn?

Either way, switching difficulty has no effect other than changing the loot tables on bosses and increase damage/health. No items should go away (haven't tested enough to actually know if that's always the case, but it's supposed to be very forgiving so I can't see that happening).
    Yeah, I was talking about whether the item-list that allows me to spawn stuff resets once I switch the difficulty to X and then back to Journey Mode again.

Yeah, I was talking about whether the item-list that allows me to spawn stuff resets once I switch the difficulty to X and then back to Journey Mode again.
    Yep, shouldn't be a problem - as I remember, Journey Mode isn't a difficulty you can even choose ingame, it's the constant difficulty of the world, but Journey Mode means you can choose between the others (Normal, Expert, Master) at will. Your inventory and spawnable items won't change from changing the difficulties.

Is the difficulty different in that mode?

I like the challenge of bosses etc. I don't want to lose that, but I love building stuff and would love to use that function.

Otherwise it sounds great, I still have to find A several times until I can use it forever. So I can't really skip right ahead to meteorite without finding it first for example
    It is great, and yes the challenge is the same or possibly greater than any of the other modes if you set the difficulty as such (For example, setting difficulty to 2.99 so youre fighting things at Master difficulty but without getting the accessory slot). It also has a lot of QoL functions if you want them, but you don't have to use any of it.

The difficulty slider works really well. As an example, once you set that slider to Expert (2x), the enemy AI gets upgraded, the loot gets upgraded, the enemies stats get upgraded to Expert mode. If you set it to Master (3x), you gain that extra accessory slot you get from Master mode, and the enemies stats increase, etc.

You can really fine tune the game experience, which I like. Say you want to fight bosses on Master mode, but not every little enemy you come across, etc.

Technically, I suppose Journey mode has the most potential difficulty, since you can set the difficulty to Master, and the spawn rate to 10x.

10+ Year Old Account
    Man, there are a bunch of cool little pets in this game. The only problem is why would you want anything other that the Red Panda? He is just too awesome. I mean, he surfs on a flying leaf when trying to catch up to you!

They naturally increase with time and killed bosses afaik - unless the patch changed that. It'll take a while before you see your first, but after that they become more common.
    Of course as soon as I post this, I get a Blood Moon and the money trough drops. Oh well.

I was just thinking about this. It does feel like it would be pretty much impossible to play without using a wiki unless you are the kind of player who will just try everything in a game. For example, I had no idea that the void bag/void vault was even a thing until someone just mentioned it in this thread.

Nope, you still have access to everything. Journey Mode can be as easy or difficult as you want, you do have to self govern though. For example, you could set the difficulty to max and then just turn on Godmode and kill every boss without dying. Some people may even enjoy that kind of thing. You can also set the difficulty to max and crank the enemy spawn rate way up to the point you are flooded with mobs. Then again, you can also turn the mob spawn rate to zero and freeze time if all you want to do is relax and build an epic base town without having to fight off mobs at the same time. It is customizable to however you want to play. The one caveat is that you have to make a separate Journey Mode character and plan on separate Journey Mode worlds. Cannot use it with existing characters or worlds.

Quote Originally Posted by Melchior View Post
    It is great, and yes the challenge is the same or possibly greater than any of the other modes if you set the difficulty as such (For example, setting difficulty to 2.99 so youre fighting things at Master difficulty but without getting the accessory slot). It also has a lot of QoL functions if you want them, but you don't have to use any of it.

The difficulty slider works really well. As an example, once you set that slider to Expert (2x), the enemy AI gets upgraded, the loot gets upgraded, the enemies stats get upgraded to Expert mode. If you set it to Master (3x), you gain that extra accessory slot you get from Master mode, and the enemies stats increase, etc.

You can really fine tune the game experience, which I like. Say you want to fight bosses on Master mode, but not every little enemy you come across, etc.

Technically, I suppose Journey mode has the most potential difficulty, since you can set the difficulty to Master, and the spawn rate to 10x.
    I'm suprised that this exists, I'm playing this game exclusively with friends, can you do all that on multiplayer worlds too?
    Maybe we'll try that out instead.

Hmmmm.

This time I played a journey mode character far enough to kill moon lord. Several times, in fact, to unlock luminite for the unlimited duplication. The first spawning of moon lord was quite surprise. I expected there would something in between and do something to spawn it. That was a failure, but after that I geared up and was able to kill it in moments. Not that surprising, tho.

Journey mode felt more like cheat mode to me. I suppose its just the easy mode to get to see everything and learn stuff.

I then decided to make a classic character and I expected it to be same difficulty as journey mode, but without item duplication and all the journey mode control stuff. While journey mode stuff made things quicker, it felt a bit too easy to duplicate everything when I needed it. Change weather, change day time, ect. So I wanted more ... authentic experience.

During journey mode I died perhaps 2-3 total.
    Now on classic mode, I'm barely picking up hardmode ores atm and I have already lost count how many times I have die. Perhaps 10 or so. Many of these due to actually dying in combat. Is classic mode more difficult, as in mobs do more damage, have more health, possibly spawn more?

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    You can manually adjust the difficulty with a slider in Journey mode, from 0.50 to 3.0, where 1.0 is classic difficulty and 3.0 is master difficulty, so it's entirely up to you. That said, by default this slider is on 0.50, so by default, Classic is twice as hard as Journey.

I finally beat WoF and got to hardmode yesterday, doing a first playthrough of Terraria on master difficulty has been pretty slow going but very satisfying

Oh... that explains why everything seems hard to do now.

In fact, I'm having trouble killing any of the hardmode bosses. Weapon I used last time on, for example, twins suddenly feels like its not doing enough damage. I wonder, if I will have to grind some specific item like that daedalus bow so I can fight the mechanical bosses.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Morae View Post
    Oh... that explains why everything seems hard to do now.

In fact, I'm having trouble killing any of the hardmode bosses. Weapon I used last time on, for example, twins suddenly feels like its not doing enough damage. I wonder, if I will have to grind some specific item like that daedalus bow so I can fight the mechanical bosses.
    You don’t really need to grind any thing to kill them even on expert mode I’ve done it before with just chucking cartable Molotovs but it takes a lot of practice and of course will be easier with better loot.

My personal favourite weapon to fight them with is either the dart pistol or rifle from corrupt mimics as you can craft different ammo types for each of them.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think I got a crappy world layout. I started Hardmode and when I went to try and find the Hallowed, I think it overlaps my jungle. I am guessing since in parts of it the water turns purple. That's all though. No trees and no Hallowed creature spawn. Can this happen? Maybe this is what I get for starting with a small world. Tempted to take my character and move to a new, medium world and blitz though to hardmode there.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizzit View Post
    I think I got a crappy world layout. I started Hardmode and when I went to try and find the Hallowed, I think it overlaps my jungle. I am guessing since in parts of it the water turns purple. That's all though. No trees and no Hallowed creature spawn. Can this happen? Maybe this is what I get for starting with a small world. Tempted to take my character and move to a new, medium world and blitz though to hardmode there.
    I had pretty much the same thing happen so I just bought some
    Hollow seeds and spread some my self to uncorrupted areas.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    I had pretty much the same thing happen so I just bought some
    Hollow seeds and spread some my self to uncorrupted areas.
    Yeah, think I am going to do that. I turned part of my forest into a graveyard mini-biome and while it looks quite cool, I think I will condense it down a bit to make room for the hallow. I did find an underground hallow way down deep next to part of the underground jungle, but it's a pain to get to.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizzit View Post
    Yeah, think I am going to do that. I turned part of my forest into a graveyard mini-biome and while it looks quite cool, I think I will condense it down a bit to make room for the hallow. I did find an underground hallow way down deep next to part of the underground jungle, but it's a pain to get to.
    You could always put a cavern pylon down by it, I tend to put mine by a good layer of the dungeon but I always seem to get lucky and get underground hollow right under my Center.

i just started to play this game 2 days ago.