Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account
    They look like they fell asleep in a tanning booth.

Quote Originally Posted by StillMcfuu View Post
    I don't know mate... the skin tones we've seen go from one which looks... dark middle-eastern at best, and the "black" tone is really more of a charcoal color. If anything these tones push Blood Elves further into a real Horde theme, it makes them seem more sinister vs the aloof BE's we currently have which would rather be taking selfies and drinking Arc Wine.

These tones don't really come off like the old Human tones where it was clearly a lazy, "this is the white guy you can change his skin into different shades but he will just be a fucked up looking white guy."
    I see where you are coming from with a more sinister elf but dark elves are the more sinister and they are dark blue/black/grey.
    These tones come off just as the human race tones... "this is the white blood elf but you can change his skin into a black man but he still has straight flowing surfer hair."
    Quote Originally Posted by Keller View Post
    Most people on the internet nowadays need a good spank.

Quote Originally Posted by Harper View Post
    I'm not sure why anyone cares about this. Almost every race is getting new skin tones.
    Worst of all is that out of all the skin tones being added they are only outraged about 1 specific option.

...and then they act surprised when they get called racists lol.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertMugabe View Post
    Worst of all is that out of all the skin tones being added they are only outraged about 1 specific option.

Bro read the thread... im racist for wanting it added to the game the right way instead of this slapstick "this is the white blood elf but here's your black skin" implementation? Crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Freighter View Post
    Unless there's some face scan that makes the character look like me, it's not representing me.
    It represents me because I created it the way I wanted it, more options means better representation. Just because i play a forsaken, doesn't mean I look like one, But I want more customization options to make it better represent what I want out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Imurbandaid View Post
    Bro read the thread... im racist for wanting it added to the game the right way instead of this slapstick "this is the white blood elf but here's your black skin" implementation? Crazy.
    tbh I was not specifically talking about you.

Was talking about several people who take issue with a black skin option being added at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Maljinwo View Post
    I never understood this need to feel represented in a videogame
    Are you white? The way I understand it is that as a white person we never have to worry about it because it is the standard. It's just there. For POC, it's often overlooked and not present. So for them, it gets tiring as time goes on because they very rarely get to be able to connect on that level.

It's a bit like male VS female character. Many people want more women to be able to connect to their character a bit more. Imagine if it was inverted and you were having to play a black women 90% of the time. Once in a while, ok fine that's just the story is. Just like I don't mind at all playing as Lara Croft or whatever. When it's almost all the time tho? You'd be happy to be able to choose your own gender and skin color.

It's just easier to connect to a character that way.

10+ Year Old Account

Interesting isn't it...

Dark Grey elf, no problem. Alabaster white elf, no problem. Dark Blue elf, no problem. Purple elf, no problem.

Dark Brown elf..... OMG!

I see where you are coming from with a more sinister elf but dark elves are the more sinister and they are dark blue/black/grey.
    These tones come off just as the human race tones... "this is the white blood elf but you can change his skin into a black man but he still has straight flowing surfer hair."
    So, as a black man, I take no offense to this. If they did humans the same way, I'd be offended. As it stands, though, the humans have all sorts of African esque hairstyles coming up.

These, however are elves. Creatures aligned with long, flowing, straight hair. If elves were to truly exist, I'd imagine that an elf of African descent would keep more of his elven traits than point ears.

I don't have an elf, only orca and trolls, but if I did, I'd be perfectly content to make him a darker skintone with black, long, straight hair and dark eyes. Id feel perfectly represented (not that I give a shit about that in high fantasy RPGs anyway, but still).

Aren't drow typically purple/blue

Do people actually think that people would like elves with african features? Like it wouldn't be considered some kind of ridiculous caricature?

Is it weird that I saw that skin tone and thought Drow first and representation second?

tbh I was not specifically talking about you.

Was talking about several people who take issue with a black skin option being added at all.
    Fair enough, I havent seen any of those in this thread, everyone here seems supportive of the option which makes me wonder why asking for it to have some thought and consideration actually put into it is a problem.

5+ Year Old Account
    There's nothing wrong with them adding a dark-skinned belf model, though I assume this thread is bait.

You're arguing under the assumption that belves have 'white features' which is funny to me that you think any white person irl looks like an elf. Unless you're implying that basic human features (eyes, ears, nose, mouth) are somehow white or that black people only have one type of face/hair?

This is why you people get called racist.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalarm View Post
    Are you white? The way I understand it is that as a white person we never have to worry about it because it is the standard. It's just there. For POC, it's often overlooked and not present. So for them, it gets tiring as time goes on because they very rarely get to be able to connect on that level.

It's a bit like male VS female character. Many people want more women to be able to connect to their character a bit more. Imagine if it was inverted and you were having to play a black women 90% of the time. Once in a while, ok fine that's just the story is. Just like I don't mind at all playing as Lara Croft or whatever. When it's almost all the time tho? You'd be happy to be able to choose your own gender and skin color.

Usually people who make statements like the one you quoted are baiting and/or just extremely ignorant and incapable of thinking critically about the topic. I wouldn't put too much thought into a response to things like that even if you are correct.
    Honorary member of the Baine Fanclub, the only member really.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Scathan View Post
    Aren't drow typically purple/blue
    Typically, yes, but there are dark brown variants;

Quote Originally Posted by Kalarm View Post

It's really silly to assume that we even care about being represented in a game. In fact, I'd say it's silly to care about it no matter who you are.

The only outrageous thing about new blood elf (and void elf) customization is that they STILL haven't fixed the green glow around the eyelids when you choose other colours (gold, blue). Beyond lazy. They even didn't have the decency to put void elves in their respective underwear...no, the velves obviously wear blood elf undies now. Don't they check their pictures before they publish them?

Quote Originally Posted by Sharby View Post
    There's nothing wrong with them adding a dark-skinned belf model, though I assume this thread is bait.

You're arguing under the assumption that belves have 'white features' which is funny to me that you think any white person irl looks like an elf. Unless you're implying that basic human features (eyes, ears, nose, mouth) are somehow white or that black people only have one type of face/hair?

This is why you people get called racist.

Usually people who make statements like the one you quoted are baiting and/or just extremely ignorant and incapable of thinking critically about the topic. I wouldn't put too much thought into a response to things like that even if you are correct.
    I never said black people have one type of face or hair, I am literally asking for more representative features. Yea our hair is not the same, and that's part of what makes us different and should be included in the representation. It is the most human-like horde race, and strongly represents less built humans aside from eyes and ears, the tone was added to them largely because of that and comes off like some slapstick attempt "here's your representation".

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    Typically, yes, but there are dark brown variants;

The skin looks grey in the face and more purple-ish in the stomach and legs. It is clearly not what the devs were going for with that skin tone.

Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    Interesting isn't it...

Dark Grey elf, no problem. Alabaster white elf, no problem. Dark Blue elf, no problem. Purple elf, no problem.

Dark Brown elf..... OMG!
    I mean.. yes but you’re missing the point. The point is that this is clearly the horde equivalent of the alliance getting more customization options for humans. Now, the alliance human options are great because they actually add diversity into the human race and allow you to create a character that more closely resembles yourself should you desire to do so. They went waaaay too long with “white man with dark skin” being your only option.

It’s pretty obvious to me and others that the Blood Elves are the only race the horde has that could be representative of humans so they decided to give them the same treatment with additional skin colors matching existing real human skin tone. The problem, however, is they are implemented poorly, and done as an obvious parallel to the alliance giving players who want to be a black character but also play horde an option.

Obviously elves are not real, but they still have the same treatment as the humans did previously. They took the existing normal features and slapped dark skin on them.

OP isn’t upset that dark skin tones for Elves is being added but rather is upset that they don’t come with unique defining features and is basically the equivalent of a white man coloring himself black.

On topic: I agree that they could have added some unique features. I don’t know that a “black elf” makes much sense, but I do think elves would fit very well with Middle Eastern culture. They could have added darker skin tones along with more Wrathion looking customization options for said skin tones and that would create an interesting option for representation. I don’t know if the humans got much to represent middle eastern culture.

I never said black people have one type of face or hair, I am literally asking for more representative features. Yea our hair is not the same, and that's part of what makes us different and should be included in the representation. It is the most human-like horde race, and strongly represents less built humans aside from eyes and ears, the tone was added to them largely because of that and comes off like some slapstick attempt "here's your representation".
    You keep saying most human like race in the horde, but you're wrong. The undead are obviously the most human like race in the Horde. You know cause...they used to be human.

They....are....elves. Evolved from trolls, no less.