Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Imurbandaid View Post
    I mean, aside from the fact that I haven't seen a black elf ever in any game/movie/book/etc. (now I won't act like ive seen,read, played everything so I could be wrong)...its just implemented so...wrong.

You can't just slap black on a white man and be like "there ya go, representation of race!" No black hairstyles? No black facial features? No black facial hair? Black people aren't just white people with dark skin. It looks extremely bad, and is a bit insulting rather than representative.
    These are FICTIONAL ELVES that you are, for some reason, FORCING them to have REAL HUMAN features. Very weird.

Fictional races don't have to follow real life human facial/hair traits. They're not humans and, most importantly, they're not real.
    Therefore they can look like anything regardless of how an actual human looks in the real world.

Shit, ever seen Santa's elves? They don't look anything like a drow, which barely resemble Tolkien elves, which also barely resemble Elder Scroll elves.
    This is a super non-issue.

I mean, aside from the fact that I haven't seen a black elf ever in any game/movie/book/etc. (now I won't act like ive seen,read, played everything so I could be wrong)...its just implemented so...wrong.

You can't just slap black on a white man and be like "there ya go, representation of race!" No black hairstyles? No black facial features? No black facial hair? Black people aren't just white people with dark skin. It looks extremely bad, and is a bit insulting rather than representative.
    As a black man I can honestly say that this is a bigger reach than the Argussian Reach in Legion

Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    Outraged because a dark brown elf can't have an afro.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah that's the other side of it. Either its not black enough, or its too black.

This just shows that Elf players are the worst.
    The fact that you went right for "the black man with an afro" shows why none of your responses to this thread have been with good intention.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keller View Post
    Most people on the internet nowadays need a good spank.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by united View Post
    I’ll never get over how blackness is so triggering to so many people. The devs didn’t make any statement, didn’t get rid of the pale blonde elves that we have now. They just added a couple dark skin tones and it causes all this controversy. I would be mad if it wasn’t so pathetic.
    What I worry about is how people who roll dark brown elves are going to be treated. There's some real a-holes in WoW, and I can just imagine someone slinging around racial slurs if your dark brown Blood Elf Paladin accidentally wipes the raid.

- - - Updated - - -

The fact that you went right for "the black man with an afro" shows why none of your responses to this thread have been with good intention.
    Isn't that your issue? That the dark brown elves don't have "black" features and hairstyles?

5+ Year Old Account
    You clearly don't have good intentions either don't pretend that you do LMAO.
    Honorary member of the Baine Fanclub, the only member really.

Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    What I worry about is how people who roll dark brown elves are going to be treated. There's some real a-holes in WoW, and I can just imagine someone slinging around racial slurs if your dark brown Blood Elf Paladin accidentally wipes the raid.

- - - Updated - - -

Isn't that your issue? That the dark brown elves don't have "black" features and hairstyles?
    The fact that you are thinking that other people might do something like that while spouting "the black man is mad he can't have an afro" shows that its just something you cant wait to do, and shows that you've never been in this thread with good intention.

10+ Year Old Account
    The fact that you are thinking that other people might do something like that while spouting "the black man is mad he can't have an afro" shows that its just something you cant wait to do, and shows that you've never been in this thread with good intention.
    Just FYI, I'm Nigerian and probably have more "African features" than you do, so go away with that nonsense.

This enters the realm of race talk which is sensitive, but...

How do you want black people or black elves to be implemented? Dark Skinned Elves to my knowledge, in most lore has never had anything to do with how black people, it's just that they're darker skin, like how some elves are blue or pink and they dont fall into the same logic as humans.

Elves tend to have finer features than even humans and that usually includes their hair, why would they have african human hair? The blue, pink, purple, peach, pale and green elves(there are green night elves, right?) all have fine hair.

Now the Black humans, it's always kinda bothered me in these lore settings when random black people are thrown into clearly all white nations, for no reason but "inclusion". What's their lore reason, are they from another place that has a mostly black population? If there isn't another place that has a large black population that they've come from, then how do they exist in the first place? In WoW, humans come from the Vrykul who are a nordic race, created by the Keepers who were created by the Titans. It really doesn't make sense to have black people with afro hair pop out of that. And ontop of that, you have most of the backgrounds of PoC actually being used by other races, Tauren, Yaungol and Taunka all have Siberian people cultures(Mongolians, Native Americans) and Orcs and Trolls have more African people culture. It would be really weird to have asian humans pop up, considering much of their origins and culture are used for Pandaren.

So if there's legit no lore reason to have black humans, it comes down to the fact that it's just for inclusion and since it's just for inclusion, then fine let their be black playable humans in game, just dont make black lore characters... because the lore doesn't support their existence.(inb4 racism)

OK, but what EXACTLY are you looking for?

Do you want more coarse looking hair? Wider flatter noses with larger nostrils? Dark brown irises?

10+ Year Old Account
    I said it in other thread and I'll say it here. This is a very obvious and rather hamfisted obligatory RL insert.

In my opinion, just like everything else, they could have handled this a bit better, but whatever really. They really could put a bit more effort into this, for example these could absolutely be Sunblade remnants who decided to rejoin their brethren and then it could be a pretty cool bunch of dark skin palettes with or without extra fel features - they literally could go there and it would be both more awesome and make more sense, as opposed to doing this whole RGB 51,26,0 and calling it a day.

The way it's done is cheap, that's why it feels like a blatant woke pandering.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalarm View Post
    Are you white? The way I understand it is that as a white person we never have to worry about it because it is the standard. It's just there. For POC, it's often overlooked and not present. So for them, it gets tiring as time goes on because they very rarely get to be able to connect on that level.

It's a bit like male VS female character. Many people want more women to be able to connect to their character a bit more. Imagine if it was inverted and you were having to play a black women 90% of the time. Once in a while, ok fine that's just the story is. Just like I don't mind at all playing as Lara Croft or whatever. When it's almost all the time tho? You'd be happy to be able to choose your own gender and skin color.

It's just easier to connect to a character that way.
    I'm from Argentina, so no. I'm not white.

If you really need to see skin or gender to connect to a character, then... well, that's just sad
    This world don't give us nothing. It be our lot to suffer... and our duty to fight back.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeBogina View Post
    This enters the realm of race talk which is sensitive, but...

How do you want black people or black elves to be implemented? Dark Skinned Elves to my knowledge, in most lore has never had anything to do with how black people, it's just that they're darker skin, like how some elves are blue or pink and they dont fall into the same logic as humans.

Elves tend to have finer features than even humans and that usually includes their hair, why would they have african human hair? The blue, pink, purple, peach, pale and green elves(there are green night elves, right?) all have fine hair.

Now the Black humans, it's always kinda bothered me in these lore settings when random black people are thrown into clearly all white nations, for no reason but "inclusion". What's their lore reason, are they from another place that has a mostly black population? If there isn't another place that has a large black population that they've come from, then how do they exist in the first place? In WoW, humans come from the Vrykul who are a nordic race, created by the Keepers who were created by the Titans. It really doesn't make sense to have black people with afro hair pop out of that. And ontop of that, you have most of the backgrounds of PoC actually being used by other races, Tauren, Yaungol and Taunka all have Siberian people cultures(Mongolians, Native Americans) and Orcs and Trolls have more African people culture. It would be really weird to have asian humans pop up, considering much of their origins and culture are used for Pandaren.

So if there's legit no lore reason to have black humans, it comes down to the fact that it's just for inclusion and since it's just for inclusion, then fine let their be black playable humans in game, just dont make black lore characters... because the lore doesn't support their existence.(inb4 racism)

There already was a dark-skinned human option available and an asian face as well, both were just implemented terribly and these new features are them properly putting them into the game.

Furthermore, having real life inspiration does not mean that it has to adhere to real life rules. They could easily make black vikings based on nordic culture and give them all black features and hair, because its fiction.

There is nothing in lore that states humans are all white and even if there was Blizzard can always undo it considering they created this lore. You get called racist because you conflate non-white people being added with being 'controversial' or 'pc pandering'.
    Honorary member of the Baine Fanclub, the only member really.

If blizzard decides that its how they are going to look in their fictional universe as elves aren't a real thing so if blue you are not demanding this to every single skin colour like blue you are a hypocrite.

Also blue did exist https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Fugates

Quote Originally Posted by Maljinwo View Post

If you really need to see skin or gender to connect to a character, then... well, that's just sad
    No one needs it, some people prefer it. You may like to be an adventurer with horns, claws, fur, etc. Others may like to play the game as if they lived in a world like azeroth, and there is nothing sad about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Maljinwo View Post

You know Argentinian isn’t a race, yes? Many of them are white.
    change can't wait.

7+ Year Old Account
    No one needs it, some people prefer it. You may like to be an adventurer with horns, claws, fur, etc. Others may like to play the game as if they lived in a world like azeroth, and there is nothing sad about that.
    That's what regular humans exist for in almost every fantasy world

Quote Originally Posted by united View Post
    You know Argentinian isn’t a race, yes? Many of them are white.
    And? He asked me if i'm white which the majority of my country isn't as we have a mixed heritage
    This world don't give us nothing. It be our lot to suffer... and our duty to fight back.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ask blizzard, they literally just slapped a black skin tone on elves and called it a day. That's the whole issue, if you aren't going to do it right don't do, it its not representative its insulting.
    I honestly can’t help but think if Chris Metzen were there still shit like this wouldn’t have happened. Old school people like him cared about these details too much. Obviously he wasn’t perfect and retconned stuff for the bigger picture(Ala Sargeras and the Eredar), but it’s well known he would put the kibosh on things that clashed with Lore quite often and annoyed his co workers at times doing it.

I dont care, nobody else care, its irrelevant... give me the infraction ty.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    I said it in other thread and I'll say it here. This is a very obvious and rather hamfisted obligatory RL insert.

In my opinion, just like everything else, they could have handled this a bit better, but whatever really. They really could put a bit more effort into this, for example these could absolutely be Sunblade remnants who decided to rejoin their brethren and then it could be a pretty cool bunch of dark skin palettes with or without extra fel features - they literally could go there and it would be both more awesome and make more sense, as opposed to doing this whole RGB 51,26,0 and calling it a day.

The way it's done is cheap, that's why it feels like a blatant woke pandering.
    I would just have preferred that they'd published it with the accompanying lore rather than just making the fanbase fill in their gaps. Just make up a reason. We understand that you're giving people who just want to be the pretty race the option to be black, fine. Just give me some official justification.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormbreed View Post
    Mexico is already part of the USA so is Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Shandalar View Post
    Shadow deserves nothing, the same as Fire Mages.