Page 23 of 28 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by protip View Post
    You can't just go and apply that to human skin tones. That's completely ridiculous, and if you don't see how making that connection in creative work would be irresponsible, you're frankly not worth replying to.

From Chronicle:
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    After being exiled from the Well of Eternity, the Highborne began to feel the effects of aging and disease. Their skin had even lost its violet hue, and they had begun to shrink in stature. The Highborne feared that the effects would only worsen over time.
    High elf skin only has to be less purple according to the lore. There are examples of dark skinned high elves in various pieces of Blizzard media, and there's no need to explain further. The implication is obviously that beyond that magically rooted violet hue, high elves have a broad range of human skin tones rather than just pink ones. It's really not a big deal.
    There are also tons of writings telling you their skin went from their natural 'purple hue' to a pinkish one, not just 'less purple'

These exiled Highborne, now known as the high elves,[9] took their punishment in stride, and led by Dath'Remar Sunstrider ("He who walks the day") set sail across the ocean in hopes of finding a new land to call their own. After a long and perilous journey, the Highborne arrived in the land known today as Lordaeron, and there established their kingdom of Quel'Thalas ("high kingdom" or "high home") and crowned Dath'Remar their king. There, they slowly changed in form, diminishing in size and losing their original purple skin to a pinkish hue.
    https://wow.gamepedia.com/Highborne
    https://wow.gamepedia.com/Exile_of_the_High_Elves

Quote Originally Posted by Mosha View Post
    There are also tons of writings telling you their skin went from their natural 'purple hue' to a pinkish one, not just 'less purple'

I guess you'll have to get over it then. Chronicle is the most recent, anyway.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    You can go to the sun well right now and see them from your self but here’s also an out of game reference to one.

https://wow.gamepedia.com/Devi
    You’re talking about the felblood elves at the Sunwell. That’s not at all the same. That’s like saying we should have red Draenei because there’s red Eredar lol. It’s a different sub race. They’re entirely evil, loyal to the legion, and get high off Fel. That isn’t what this is.

And that link is to a one character from an “alternate universe”. It’s even more of a stretch than having undead paladins because Sir Zeliek existed.

My point still stands. There’s nothing to justify this in lore. It’s absurd that Blizzard is doing this. I don’t even understand it, this is a fantasy game so why they think we need real life skins pasted into the game on established fantasy lore characters boggles the mind. At this point they may as well give us a shade palette so we can make our races any color we want. Just let us play as blindingly yellow Dwarves. Or Tauren with bright green fur.

I guess you'll have to get over it then. Chronicle is the most recent, anyway.
    What do you mean? We aren't discussing whether we should "get over it or not" lol, don't be moving your goal posts man, I'm just telling you what you are saying is incorrect. Telling people to get over it is the easy way out, if they have legit inconsistencies they are bringing up saying "just get over it" is the dumbest shit to say to them.

Quote Originally Posted by TigTone View Post
    Yay it’s over the high elf callingwar is finally over.

Let’s this be the final and last elven race “addition”.

Now give us orge or something new race
    Yes, Ogres for the Alliance.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    From Chronicle:
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    After being exiled from the Well of Eternity, the Highborne began to feel the effects of aging and disease. Their skin had even lost its violet hue, and they had begun to shrink in stature. The Highborne feared that the effects would only worsen over time.
    High elf skin only has to be less purple according to the lore. There are examples of dark skinned high elves in various pieces of Blizzard media, and there's no need to explain further. The implication is obviously that beyond that magically rooted violet hue, high elves have a broad range of human skin tones rather than just pink ones. It's really not a big deal.
    I suppose I’m wrong about the well I must have miss remembered.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vasaru View Post
    Yes, Ogres for the Alliance.
    I can already see and hear the rage from horde players.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Beet View Post
    You’re talking about the felblood elves at the Sunwell. That’s not at all the same. That’s like saying we should have red Draenei because there’s red Eredar lol. It’s a different sub race. They’re entirely evil, loyal to the legion, and get high off Fel. That isn’t what this is.

And that link is to a one character from an “alternate universe”. It’s even more of a stretch than having undead paladins because Sir Zeliek existed.

My point still stands. There’s nothing to justify this in lore. It’s absurd that Blizzard is doing this. I don’t even understand it, this is a fantasy game so why they think we need real life skins pasted into the game on established fantasy lore characters boggles the mind. At this point they may as well give us a shade palette so we can make our races any color we want. Just let us play as blindingly yellow Dwarves. Or Tauren with bright green fur.
    Good thing these real life skins already existed and they're just adding one more, wonder why it wasn't a problem to have human-like white skin tones for elves but now suddenly adding a single option for darker skin means we should have green Tauren.
    Honorary member of the Baine Fanclub, the only member really.

7+ Year Old Account

Fel blood elfs are an example of what fel can do to an blood elf there is no reason to assume that other elfs wouldn’t find them selfs under similar effects but not go full fel. We also have demon hunters as an example of blood elfs getting darker in connection with fel as well as the varian comic showing a similar effect in veleera and the dragon book character.

There are plenty of lore examples.

What do you mean? We aren't discussing whether we should "get over it or not" lol, don't be moving your goal posts man, I'm just telling you what you are saying is incorrect. Telling people to get over it is the easy way out, if they have legit inconsistencies they are bringing up saying "just get over it" is the dumbest shit to say to them.
    You're missing the point. Even if you want to argue that this minor, inconsequential (and out of date) lore detail conflicts with these new options, it is far less important than what the new options bring to the table. Chronicle was already worded to avoid this conflict years ago. It doesn't affect anything for elves to have a broader range of skin tones. They can still be affected by magic, it just isn't going to be between natural human skin tones, because that is a completely avoidable PR nightmare.

You're missing the point. Even if you want to argue that this minor, inconsequential (and out of date) lore detail conflicts with these new options, it is far less important than what the new options bring to the table. Chronicle was already worded to avoid this conflict years ago. It doesn't affect anything for elves to have a broader range of skin tones. They can still be affected by magic, it just isn't going to be between natural human skin tones, because that is a completely avoidable PR nightmare.
    You are interpreting it to fit your argument which is...well immature lol.

Chronicle says they 'lost their violet hue', it doesn't say 'some lost their hue slightly more than others, some stayed pretty violet'.

There are multiple multiple other readings saying 'they lost their violet hue, and turned into a pinkish hue'. Now with all that information together, it's safe to say (unless you feel like being dishonest) that their skin SHOULD be in the pinkish hue range.

Not that I even give a fuck if they go outside the lore and change it for whatever reason (as if they haven't done this before), but if you are going to be presenting an argument that this is already following lore, then you need to be completely honest with your argument.

10+ Year Old Account
    Fel blood elfs are an example of what fel can do to an blood elf there is no reason to assume that other elfs wouldn’t find them selfs under similar effects but not go full fel. We also have demon hunters as an example of blood elfs getting darker in connection with fel as well as the varian comic showing a similar effect in veleera and the dragon book character.

There are plenty of lore examples.
    That doesn’t change anything. They are fel elves. That’s canon. Are you trying to now say that there’s fel elves who are not totally fel but are still Blood Elfes? I’m lost to what point you’re trying to make here.

I don’t disagree that elves get dark when they go fel. Just as orcs get red when they go fel. We don’t have that because it wouldn’t make sense.

If you have all these great lore examples of black as night Blood elves running around I’m still waiting to see them.

7+ Year Old Account
    That doesn’t change anything. They are fel elves. That’s canon. Are you trying to now say that there’s fel elves who are not totally fel but are still Blood Elfes? I’m lost to what point you’re trying to make here.

I don’t disagree that elves get dark when they go fel. Just as orcs get red when they go fel. We don’t have that because it wouldn’t make sense.

If you have all these great lore examples of black as night Blood elves running around I’m still waiting to see them.
    There are varying levels of fel use it is incredibly likely that there would be blood elfs who suffered the effects of fel more without turning in to horned spikes fel elfs. This is only expanded upon in legion where we see blood elfs with differing levels of fel influence rejoin the horde and some of the side effects from said influence is darker skin tones.

We have a prescient for darker hues we know why they happen and we know some blood elfs were deeper into the fel the others and are still part of the blood elfs.
    Last edited by Lorgar Aurelian; 2020-05-28 at 05:14 PM.

You are interpreting it to fit your argument which is...well immature lol.

Chronicle says they 'lost their violet hue', it doesn't say 'some lost their hue slightly more than others, some stayed pretty violet'.

There are multiple multiple other readings saying 'they lost their violet hue, and turned into a pinkish hue'. Now with all that information together, it's safe to say (unless you feel like being dishonest) that their skin SHOULD be in the pinkish hue range.

Not that I even give a fuck if they go outside the lore and change it for whatever reason (as if they haven't done this before), but if you are going to be presenting an argument that this is already following lore, then you need to be completely honest with your argument.
    Interpreting it to fit my argument? I'm reading it directly as written. In addition to that fact, as discussed earlier in this thread, there are multiple examples of dark skinned (human tone) high elves, so this "pink skinned" information was contradicted long before Chronicle. The most important fact in this discussion, however, is that blood elves are obvious human inserts in the Horde, and that this minor out of date lore detail is not a good reason for them not to have a more representative range of skin tones. If you want to consider that a retcon, I honestly couldn't care less. It's not important in the bigger picture.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharby View Post
    Good thing these real life skins already existed and they're just adding one more, wonder why it wasn't a problem to have human-like white skin tones for elves but now suddenly adding a single option for darker skin means we should have green Tauren.
    If your point is that Blood Elves had “human skin tones” originally then I don’t disagree. I thought the Blood Elf idea was dumb already. But it isn’t like they gave us an established lore identity then decided to shoe horn in another variation that was never there without even bringing it up in the lore. That’s what this would be. There was never these color elves and it’s absurd to introduce them now unless Blizzard wants to add an allied race of elves we find someplace that are new colors then yeah who cares?

Also they’re not just adding one more. Look at the colors. They aren’t colors we see in game at all on Blood Elves. None of them.

So yes we may as well get the shade palette controller other games have. Ignore the lore and let us do what we want. If we want to make bright puke green Tauren who cares?

- - - Updated - - -

There are varying levels of fel use it is incredibly likely that there would be blood elfs who suffered the effects of fel more without turning in to horned spikes fel elfs. This is only expanded upon in legion where we see blood elfs with differing levels of fel influence rejoin the horde and some of the side effects from said influence is darker skin tones.

We have a prescient for darker hues we know why they happen and we know some blood elfs were deeper into the fel the others and are still part of the blood elfs.
    Okay so if Blizzard decides to say that these are fel elves who only dabbled in Fel and they create a big story about why they were never around to begin with then that makes sense. But that isn’t the case. Not to mention the fel supposedly made you darker and one of these palettes is dark as night so that dude would be fel addicted lmao.

7+ Year Old Account
    Okay so if Blizzard decides to say that these are fel elves who only dabbled in Fel and they create a big story about why they were never around to begin with then that makes sense. But that isn’t the case. Not to mention the fel supposedly made you darker and one of these palettes is dark as night so that dude would be fel addicted lmao.
    They aren’t gonna explain any of the new options I’d bet so that just leaves Us to come up with plausible reasons off of the lore we have or just accept it as a retcon but I prefer to go with what little lore examples we have.

As to them being really dark we don’t know if there is any rhyme or reason to the colours unlike orcs. Demon hunters are a darker brown velerra turned grey and other ones are red or blue.

Also all blood elfs were fel addicts.

Also all blood elfs were fel addicts.
    No they have mana addiction. Which was different to fel. The only ones that went full fel addiction were those we were killing in Netherstorm and the dungeons/raid related to it.

The Green eyes come from one spell that Rommath used to rebuild Silvermoon. The absorbtion of Mana is pure arcane.

Interpreting it to fit my argument? I'm reading it directly as written. In addition to that fact, as discussed earlier in this thread, there are multiple examples of dark skinned (human tone) high elves, so this "pink skinned" information was contradicted long before Chronicle. The most important fact in this discussion, however, is that blood elves are obvious human inserts in the Horde, and that this minor out of date lore detail is not a good reason for them not to have a more representative range of skin tones. If you want to consider that a retcon, I honestly couldn't care less. It's not important in the bigger picture.
    There's no use in commenting toward you anymore as it's very clear what you are attempting to do here. Just want to say whatever you need to be right. Have a good one! I'll try having a discussion with someone a little more honest.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kallisto View Post
    No they have mana addiction. Which was different to fel. The only ones that went full fel addiction were those we were killing in Netherstorm and the dungeons/raid related to it.

The Green eyes come from one spell that Rommath used to rebuild Silvermoon. The absorbtion of Mana is pure arcane.
    I could be wrong but weren’t they feeding of them crystals all around silvermoon to feed said mama addiction more or less replacing it with a Fel one until the sun well was cleaned?

I could be wrong but weren’t they feeding of them crystals all around silvermoon to feed said mama addiction more or less replacing it with a Fel one until the sun well was cleaned?
    No, that is definitely untrue. Initially, blood elves learned to siphon arcane magic from living creatures. The fel taint was from the crystals used to power the city. According to the Warcraft Encyclopedia, apparently most of the blood elves "would have been horrified" at the way fel magic was used by the magisters.

There's no use in commenting toward you anymore as it's very clear what you are attempting to do here. Just want to say whatever you need to be right. Have a good one! I'll try having a discussion with someone a little more honest.
    Nothing you linked even states that they have pink skin, aside from the wiki, which has no actual source listed. It's clearly just drawing from in game. Feel free to post a canon source for specifically pink skin. I'm going back to my original point, losing their violet hue does not mean pink skin exclusively. And you're calling me dishonest. Your sources are a joke, so I'm just going to assume you're trolling.
    Last edited by protip; 2020-05-28 at 06:10 PM.