10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BeepBoo View Post
    Look at time stamps and compare that to when cops started tear gassing and retaliating against protesters. Everything I've seen puts all of that at AFTER cops started.
    Quote Originally Posted by PosPosPos View Post
    Yes, that was cleanly after police teargassed protestors. Comprehension and piecing together what-came-first doesn't seem to be your strong suit, though.
    Which time stamps are you people referring to, which first shots? Because the only videos I have seen show the police coming in after the mob is destroying shit, there aren't even police around at all until that point.

This footage from some local CBS affiliate, for example:

https://twitter.com/WCCO/status/1265462350125113348

Not a single police officer around, just the 'peaceful' mob smashing shit... Then halfway through, when the police finally do show up, they all run away.

Quote Originally Posted by Egomaniac View Post
    If there are no police around...where did the police vehicles come from?
    It was a police parking lot they were ransacking yesterday morning, they were parked police vehicles...

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Quote Originally Posted by Freighter View Post
    Definitely worked to get rid of Park.
    What American politician is that again?

10+ Year Old Account
    Growing up poor is no excuse for acting like a child and smashing stuff because you're angry.
    No, but growing up in a system of oppression that puts you and yours at daily risk of injury or death, however, muddies the waters a little.

Sit down, Karen. You clearly have no familiarity with this kind of situation - I bet you think calling the cops in the US makes you safer, too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Quote Originally Posted by Rampant Rabbit View Post
    Sorry, I hate making people explain themselves, but which same sort of people? It's not you, it's me, I'm sorry.
    Mostly conservatives, or what we'd see as conservative in europe.

i.e the protests in HK.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    No, but growing up in a system of oppression that puts you and yours at daily risk of injury or death, however, muddies the waters a little.
    No, it doesn't. My parents grew up in a system of oppression far worse than what you have in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by Rampant Rabbit View Post
    I mean yeah I guess you have a point, but what the fuck. Weed not being legal is an absolute non-issue when comparing it to centuries of blatant and systemic racism.
    I didn't say they were comparable. I said there was a long-standing issue with a history of horrible treatment, etc, that is and will be resolved peacefully. Not that it was in any way as important or severe as the issue that caused this bullshit.

All of the violence and suffering related to marijuana is there in the War on Drugs and the penal system. The reason you seem to think it to be some example of a 'perfect protest' is primarily because the victims of said violence and suffering were and still are overwhelmingly...you know...black.
    Violence and suffering originating from one side (not the side of the victims) is not the same thing as violent protests occurring now, though. That's one sided oppression (which I agree is happening and did happen), but I don't recall violent protests that pushed the issue over the edge or were key points in the progress weed legalization has made. People weren't burning down shit for drake-the-weed-head getting incarcerated.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Frankly, a cop murdering a black guy for no reason in the middle of the street in the middle of the day is a way bigger fucking deal. I value human life a hell of a lot more than I value property. You're trying to derail into the actions of a few bad people to ignore the systemic injustices that sparked the riots in the first place.

Want less riots?

Fix the injustice. That's what causes riots. These people are responding with extralegal actions because legal actions do not help fix the problem. They just get you teargassed for your trouble.

As happened here, triggering the riots you're trying to focus on, to cover for the murderous fucks who killed a basically innocent man in broad daylight. And still haven't been arrested or charged with anything.
    I agree with you. Those cops should be locked up but how does breaking into your local shop and running out with five toasters help the problem?

Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    Which time stamps are you people referring to, which first shots? Because the only videos I have seen show the police coming in after the mob is destroying shit, there aren't even police around at all until that point.

This footage from some local CBS affiliate, for example:

https://twitter.com/WCCO/status/1265462350125113348

Not a single police officer around, just the 'peaceful' mob smashing shit... Then halfway through, when the police finally do show up, they all run away.

It was a police parking lot they were ransacking yesterday morning, they were parked police vehicles...
    So, police parking lot...kinda implies police are nearby, no?

10+ Year Old Account
    No, it doesn't. My parents grew up in a system of oppression far worse than what you have in the US.
    Again, you clearly have no idea what you are talking about in regards to the conditions black people face in the US. Sit down.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Again, you clearly have no idea what you are talking about in regards to the conditions black people face in the US. Sit down.
    You think black people in the US fare worse than people who were oppressed under a military dictatorship? Ooooookay.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BeepBoo View Post
    Violence and suffering originating from one side (not the side of the victims) is not the same thing as violent protests occurring now, though. That's one sided oppression (which I agree is happening and did happen), but I don't recall violent protests that pushed the issue over the edge or were key points in the progress weed legalization has made. People weren't burning down shit for drake-the-weed-head getting incarcerated.
    Wow it's almost as if the system we have inherently favors people of a certain demographic so they don't feel there is no alternative besides civil unrest, and now that demographic has started smoking weed more for some reason there's a greater push for legalization.

Oh, the cherry on top? The myth of the perfect protestor is just another fallacy employed in defense of racist systems. You're complicit, sweetheart. Check thyself.

- - - Updated - - -

You think black people in the US fare worse than people who were oppressed under a military dictatorship? Ooooookay.
    Yeah my mistake black people have never been unknowingly subjected to government medical experimentation, or subjected to a legally ingrained system of discrimination, or lynched, or poisoned, or kept in an endless cycle of soul crushing poverty.

Your privilege is showing hun. And don't even get me started on anti-blackness in East Asia, don't pretend your farts don't stink.

Yeah my mistake
    That's where you should have ended it and took a second look at what you're saying.

And how did that military dictatorship end?

10+ Year Old Account
    That's where you should have ended it and took a second look at what you're saying.
    Nice to see you didn't address any of the other points. Allow me to get you some links that you'll probably ignore because you're more interested in appearing smart than actually being smart:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavery_in_America
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuskeg...lis_experiment
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Crow_laws
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lynchi..._United_States
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flint_water_crisis
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racial...States#Poverty

But yes. Do keep saying how easy black folk have it in America.

10+ Year Old Account
    Firstly law enforcement and government employees ;granted authority by the people; should be held to a higher standard than civilians.
    So through their breach of this trust given to them should always be punished much harsher than a normal citizen.
    In this case; there is no other outcome for me but life or death penalty for the killer and 10-15 years for the surrounding idiots.

Secondly rioting and opportunistic crime, especially in cases like this; I would also punish a lot harsher.

I would seek to convict every single person that stole as much as one object during the riots as if they each personally broke into the store and robbed it at gunpoint.
    Ofc no way you will get them all.
    But using mobile localization data, security footage plus the footage of the morons themselves; one should be able to get the vast majority of them.

Just cant brush these things off and allow "civilized" society to break down like this.

Nice to see you didn't address any of the other points. Allow me to get you some links that you'll probably ignore because you're more interested in appearing smart than actually being smart:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavery_in_America
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuskeg...lis_experiment
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Crow_laws
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lynchi..._United_States
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flint_water_crisis
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racial...States#Poverty

But yes. Do keep saying how easy black folk have it in America.
    This is history. Not today.

Might as well just @Natta Lmo, how do you think they fare compared to people living under a pretty much military dictatorship?

10+ Year Old Account
    "There's no systemic racism in American law enforcement!"

Oh?

Might as well just @Natta Lmo, how do you think they fare compared to people living under a pretty much military dictatorship?
    Once again, how did that military dictatorship end?

10+ Year Old Account
    Lol, what?

Flint is still ungoing, people are still being effectively lynched, and poverty is still rampant.

Again, all you are doing with every post is underlining that you know exactly nothing about the history or demographics of the US while insisting that you still know better. That's not a charming quality.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ettan View Post
    Firstly law enforcement and government employees ;granted authority by the people; should be held to a higher standard than civilians.
    So through their breach of this trust given to them should always be punished much harsher than a normal citizen.
    In this case; there is no other outcome for me but life or death penalty for the killer and 10-15 years for the surrounding idiots.

Secondly rioting and opportunistic crime, especially in cases like this; I would also punish a lot harsher.

I would seek to convict every single person that stole as much as one object during the riots as if they each personally broke into the store and robbed it at gunpoint.
    Ofc no way you will get them all.
    But using mobile localization data, security footage plus the footage of the morons themselves; one should be able to get the vast majority of them.

Just cant brush these things off and allow "civilized" society to break down like this.
    Ah, the next one.

Sure, the cop goes to jail, but that is all. No systemic issue to address.

The rioters on the other hand we have to get every technological advantage to combat them... I'd like to see the same eagerness in combating systemic racism as you show in combating "systemic looting".