Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    I wasn’t referring to all protesters. I was referring to those that protested and then began to violently protest.
    I will tell you a chilean saying about this: guagua que no llora, no mama" (meaning, a baby that doesnt cry, doesnt drink milk).
    As much as i dont like to say it, when all other avenues are tried and the answers are not systemic changes, sometimes violence is the answer.
    Forgive my english, as i'm not a native speaker

Quote Originally Posted by Thepersona View Post
    As much as i dont like to say it, when all other avenues are tried and the answers are not systemic changes, sometimes violence is the answer.
    And what happens when authorities rightfully crack down on it?

Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    I mena, we did dump a shit ton of tea into the sea at one point. Destruction of other people's property is in our DNA as Americans!
    Neat. You could wave some native american flags alongside US flags and some black identity flags just to make them more uncomfortable.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Freighter View Post
    You protests more? You know that in order to stop this, you need to make systemic change, right?

10+ Year Old Account
    Why do you presume it's "rightly" in the first place?

The protection of an unjust status quo is not "right".

10+ Year Old Account
    Authoritarians tend to not listen to peaceful protesters regardless of how just the protestors are. For peaceful protests to work at all, the people in power need to be open to listening and changing things.

You protests more? You know that in order to stop this, you need to make systemic change, right?
    Oh yeah, I totally see you doing that if there is a crack down on people rioting. Just protest more.

I lied, you'd probably be complaining about the authorities using force to stop people from smashing stuff.

- - - Updated - - -

Authoritarians tend to not listen to peaceful protesters regardless of how just the protestors are.
    They tend to respond even less kind to riots.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh yeah, I totally see you doing that if there is a crack down on people rioting. Just protest more.

I lied, you'd probably be complaining about the authorities using force to stop people from smashing stuff.

- - - Updated - - -

They tend to respond even less kind to riots.
    I dunno. Worked for France. Also worked for America in the 1700's

and you're going to need to explain to me how shit changes if you dont allow violence and epaceful shit doesnt work in an authoritarian state

7+ Year Old Account
    I will tell you a chilean saying about this: guagua que no llora, no mama" (meaning, a baby that doesnt cry, doesnt drink milk).
    Are you insane? Repeat after me;

Anything that can be done or achieved can be done or achieved in a superior manner without violence and coercion.

I dunno. Worked for France.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gwangju_Uprising

Estimates suggest that around 2,000 people have died.

The army opened fire.

10+ Year Old Account

The army opened fire.
    and America gots its indepedence and while the French revolution was freaking bloody, they are a republic now.

The army opened fire.
    From your link

The Gwangju Uprising had a profound impact on South Korean politics and history. Chun Doo-hwan already had popularity problems due to his taking power through a military coup, but authorizing the dispatch of Special Forces against citizens damaged his legitimacy even further. The movement also paved the way for later movements in the 1980s that eventually brought democracy to South Korea. The Gwangju Uprising has become a symbol of South Koreans' struggle against authoritarian regimes and for democracy.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by beanman12345 View Post
    From your link

The Gwangju Uprising had a profound impact on South Korean politics and history. Chun Doo-hwan already had popularity problems due to his taking power through a military coup, but authorizing the dispatch of Special Forces against citizens damaged his legitimacy even further. The movement also paved the way for later movements in the 1980s that eventually brought democracy to South Korea. The Gwangju Uprising has become a symbol of South Koreans' struggle against authoritarian regimes and for democracy.
    Change would have happened without all those people dying because they attacked them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by beanman12345 View Post
    From your link

Nothing worthwhile ever came without sacrifice.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    The Hong Kong protests got violent several times, even led to looting and rioting.

I wonder how many people here will turn their back on those protestors once China cracks down on them, because you know, they got violent and stuff.
    People only cared about HK because they were virtue signalling. Same way they only care about this situation as long as they can watch from a distance and sing Kumbaya.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post

Anything that can be done or achieved can be done or achieved in a superior manner without violence and coercion.

Peace in our time, right folks?
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Are you high?
    No. That's not how things happen. That's how people like to think that things change.

7+ Year Old Account
    and America gots its indepedence and while the French revolution was freaking bloody, they are a republic now.
    That doesn't mean that the violent option was ever optimal and necessary to achieve that result. Anything that can be accomplished through force could've been accomplished better by consent.

Nothing worthwhile ever came without sacrifice.
    Getting yourself killed because you were stupid is hardly worth calling a sacrifice. Change would have come without them dying.

10+ Year Old Account
    That doesn't mean that the violent option was ever optimal and necessary to achieve that result. Anything that can be accomplished through force could've been accomplished better by consent.
    Given authoritarians, or empires, do not like giving up power, how do you suppose independence is gotten form those people without some form of violence?

Getting yourself killed because you were stupid is hardly worth calling a sacrifice. Change would have come without them dying.
    Can you prove that?