Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kolvarg View Post
    1) That in no way directly correlates with people liking the movie or not. There's a difference between not being interested in, and hating a movie. Low box offfice = people haven't seen it = people can't hate it.

2) The argument was "People really hated the movie". As far as I know, "people" isn't restricted to North America.
    1. False. People choose not to watch the movie if they hate it. It's called watching the trailer and reading reviews or hearing word of mouth. Many people decided not to watch it after seeing the trailer as they concluded it was a bad film. And yes it does directly correlates with liking a movie because people who really like a movie go back and watch again and again. Repeat viewing is a huge key to big box office numbers.
    2. Again, it demonstrates that people hated it. It bombed EVERYWHERE but China. It barely turned a profit simply because of China. If it had bombed there like everywhere else, it would have been the worst financial disaster in movie history.

Quote Originally Posted by rrayy View Post
    Box office disagrees. It absolutely bombed in North America. If it wasn't for China, it would have been one of the biggest world wide bombs in box office history.

- - - Updated - - -

COmpletely and utterly false. The ex-executives moved on to other projects and pursuits as always happens in the gaming businss. They did not lose their passion. That is a myth used by players who are really saying "they made games I didn't like because they didn't cater solely to me"
    Box Office is something i do not care at all, look at the critics, the movie was a desaster, not that i agree with critics everytime, but this time they nailed it. Audience ratings are a bit higher, probably just to support the games and keep them alive and prosper.

The ex-executives certainly retired for a reasion and this was not passion. I am firmly positive about that one.

Imagine beeing Mike Morhaime and allowing that movie to happen in 2016, while producing WoD in 2014. Yeah.

And every devs coming back from the orignal cast of blizz, retires almost immediatly.

I am not really suprised, that movie sucked any fan with that kinda budget and artists around him could have done better.

The way blizzard retcons their lore and source material, i think we should just let the games tell the story, especially after that live action mess that got kicked in with the live action avatar the last air bender, and dragon ball evolution.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrannica View Post
    Box Office is something i do not care at all, look at the critics, the movie was a desaster, not that i agree with critics everytime, but this time they nailed it. Audience ratings are a bit higher, probably just to support the games and keep them alive and prosper.

The ex-executives certainly retired for a reasion and this was not passion. I am firmly positive about that one.

Imagine beeing Mike Morhaime and allowing that movie to happen in 2016, while producing WoD in 2014. Yeah.

And every devs coming back from the orignal cast of blizz, retires almost immediatly.

I am not really suprised, that movie sucked any fan with that kinda budget and artists around him could have done better.
    AGagin, they didn't retire. They moved to new positions in new companies. YOu can be positive all you want. I can be positive that you are utterly wrong. You obviously don't know what the word "retire" means either.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmist View Post
    Warcraft's story isn't strong enough to be anything other than a game. And in the last few years has been inadequate even for that.
    I don't think many things are. The toys that spun many of the cartoon series blooms had even less lore than the warcraft, but series were made of some of them that have become billion dollar franchises.. look at transformers.

They can surely for wow.

No it's definitely NOT too late. I would love if they made a show

Personally I loved the movie even though it didn't received the best ratings.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by EnigmAddict View Post
    They can surely for wow.
    Of course they can. People who say that "the story isn't strong enough" don't know what they are talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaver View Post
    No it's definitely NOT too late. I would love if they made a show

Personally I loved the movie even though it didn't received the best ratings.
    Hey, i liked the movie too.
    I even went a second time to the theater to re-watch it.

I dont think the media was fair at all in the rating scores.

Would love to see a series about warcraft...i would love it very much.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post
    Hey, i liked the movie too.
    I even went a second time to the theater to re-watch it.

I dont think the media was fair at all in the rating scores.

Would love to see a series about warcraft...i would love it very much.
    All I can say is that I would love if they made a show and I would definitely watch it!

A little too late,but the only thing they can do if they want to is to make animated TV series & take it slowly like starting clean from the beginning.old gods,dragons & titans.

Animate it.
    Mods are too busy to be bothered with moderation...but still post nonsense in threads.

Please do not contact me about moderation - Reach out to another member.

1. False. People choose not to watch the movie if they hate it. It's called watching the trailer and reading reviews or hearing word of mouth. Many people decided not to watch it after seeing the trailer as they concluded it was a bad film. And yes it does directly correlates with liking a movie because people who really like a movie go back and watch again and again. Repeat viewing is a huge key to big box office numbers.
    Nah. If people didn't watch then it was the marketing that failed, not necessarily the movie. Disliking the trailer or the genre of the movie is not the same as disliking the movie. It's like saying you don't like a certain food without having ever tasted it: not wanting to try it is different than not liking how it tastes.

For instance, Fight Club is widely regarded as a classic and a great movie, and yet it didn't do great in the box office, worse than Warcraft in fact.

Similarly, you have movies with good box office compared to the budget but terrible reception. The emoji movie comes to mind.

As to repeat viewers, do you have any source on that? Also, how do you know that the money it did generate wasn't in big part due to repeat viewers who did like the movie, and not just that it didn't capture the interest of a wider audience?

2. Again, it demonstrates that people hated it. It bombed EVERYWHERE but China. It barely turned a profit simply because of China. If it had bombed there like everywhere else, it would have been the worst financial disaster in movie history.
    Barely? The data I see is Box office: 439 million USD and Budget: 160 million USD. Am I missing something?

But it didn't "bomb" there, and it did turn a profit. There are more states between "doing great" and "bombing" at the box office, as there are different states between "love" and "hate".

And why are you ignoring the feedback of the people that actually saw it?

- - - Updated - - -

the movie was a desaster, not that i agree with critics everytime, but this time they nailed it. Audience ratings are a bit higher, probably just to support the games and keep them alive and prosper.
    Go look at the metacritic user score for the Warcraft movie. Then look at the metacritic user score for Warlords of Draenor. Let me know how your claim makes any sense at all, with that information in mind.

Go look at the metacritic user score for the Warcraft movie. Then look at the metacritic user score for Warlords of Draenor. Let me know how your claim makes any sense at all, with that information in mind.
    haha...i know metacritic very well, my advice for you is honestly, do not use critics or ratings for games like wow, patch content is not included, only the naked release of games got rated, that might have worked on the old 80ies console games that never changed.

Works for movies, cannot work for MMORPGs, which are updated in every other few months.

Every wow player knows that WoD had potential at the very beginning, but developed badly with content patches or rather the lack of them. Too much content was cut and never added back in the follow up patches, the only other expansion that was treated as bad by blizz was maybe cataclysm, but at least they had the old world revamp excuse.

- - - Updated - - -

AGagin, they didn't retire. They moved to new positions in new companies. YOu can be positive all you want. I can be positive that you are utterly wrong. You obviously don't know what the word "retire" means either.
    They retired WoW/Blizzard for good, you really must be trolling, right now...

now get out of my sight, tired arguing with a troll and welcome to ignore.
    Last edited by Tyrannica; 2020-05-27 at 11:14 PM.

Barely? The data I see is Box office: 439 million USD and Budget: 160 million USD. Am I missing something?

But it didn't "bomb" there, and it did turn a profit. There are more states between "doing great" and "bombing" at the box office, as there are different states between "love" and "hate".

And why are you ignoring the feedback of the people that actually saw it?
    Yes.; You are missing how much of that 439 million was from China. Her is a hint: Take it away and the box office goes significantly under 160 million. It only grossed 47 million in the US. That is terrible. You also miss that the 160 million is only the cost of the film and does not include all the money spent to advertise and market the film. Those costs increased the price tag on the film to 450 million. The movie actually LOST money. Take away the 200+ million it grossed in China and you prove my point. It absolutely did bomb here and just about everywhere else not named China.
    Last edited by rrayy; 2020-05-28 at 02:03 AM.

It'd just get downvoted to hell. The world just had GoT and all, so.
    They always told me I would miss my family... but I never miss from close range.

Yes.; You are missing how much of that 439 million was from China. Her is a hint: Take it away and the box office goes significantly under 160 million. It only grossed 47 million in the US. That is terrible. You also miss that the 160 million is only the cost of the film and does not include all the money spent to advertise and market the film. Those costs increased the price tag on the film to 450 million. The movie actually LOST money. Take away the 200+ million it grossed in China and you prove my point. It absolutely did bomb here and just about everywhere else not named China.
    And why exactly should we ignore China? Why is it important that it was doing better in China that "saved it"?

Your initial statement was about the movie as a whole, and therefore the numbers count for the movie as a whole, in all territories it aired. When evaluating whether it "bombed" or not, it doesn't matter where it did well and where it did poorly, what does matter is how it did in total.

If it did lose money, it was still close to breaking even, and might have even passed that point by now with post-theatrical releases.

And, like I've said before, how well it did or not in the box office does not necessarily imply how well people actually liked it or not.

- - - Updated - - -

haha...i know metacritic very well, my advice for you is honestly, do not use critics or ratings for games like wow, patch content is not included, only the naked release of games got rated, that might have worked on the old 80ies console games that never changed.
    My point with pointing out metacritic was that you claimed "the movie was a desaster" and that "Audience ratings are a bit higher, probably just to support the games and keep them alive and prosper".

If the audience ratings of the movie are decent because people just want to support the games and keep them alive, why are the audience ratings of certain expansions not good?

If the audience ratings of the movie are decent because people just want to support the games and keep them alive, why are the audience ratings of certain expansions not good?
    Really who knows? I can only state my PoV and of those people i know actual playing the game and having watched that movie.

The movie was so trash, that we dont even talk about that movie, its just a waste of time.

About the expansions, explain me why audience ratings of MoP are the lowest of all expansions(other than BfA, an all time low).

So due to the infallible audience, cataclysm and WoD was better than MoP, that might be true, if everyone was playing without content patches. MoP got a lot better then with content patches, much more than cataclysm and WoD that might had a good start.

I beg to disagree with that, even this very forum does not reflect this audience opinion at metacritic, most people will say here, BfA, Cataclysm and WoD were the bad eggs in the bag.

The movie flopping probably closed a lot of doors.

would cost too much
    "When Facism comes to America, it will be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross." - Unknown

And why exactly should we ignore China? Why is it important that it was doing better in China that "saved it"?

Your initial statement was about the movie as a whole, and therefore the numbers count for the movie as a whole, in all territories it aired. When evaluating whether it "bombed" or not, it doesn't matter where it did well and where it did poorly, what does matter is how it did in total.

If it did lose money, it was still close to breaking even, and might have even passed that point by now with post-theatrical releases.
    Wrong. Box office is how you determione whether it bombed. The point about China is they already lost almost 20 million to begin with. Take away that one country and the production company that made the film took an absolute bath on it. If people really loved the film like you seem to think, it wouldn't have lost money.

Fantasy medieval like stuff is somewhat popular right now. The Witcher was a bit of a mess while did decent among the non-gamer market with many having no clue it was based on a video game. As long as it stays in line with the others along with dropping Warcraft from the title it might do alright if it doesnt get drowned out by the many others out there. Though by the time it comes out the market might shift.