Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    Field Marshal
    3+ Year Old Account

Why are most American police officers Republican-leaning?

I am not saying all American police officers are Republican, I have nothing against that, I think both parties are crazy in it's self, but why do most American police officers give a Republican vibe, especially when some of them spout Trumpian talking points, etc.?

Do you notice that, or is it just me?

Mod Edit: This thread is closed.
    Last edited by Rozz; 2020-05-30 at 09:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    They aren't.
    https://www.policemag.com/342098/the...sidential-poll

It would appear that they are.

As for the reasoning,some of it may be attributed to perceived support. It could be an appeal to authority, as well as the "macho" nature of the policing environment.

You dont live in the United States, do you?
    Last edited by Machismo; 2020-05-29 at 06:12 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by WorldChamps99 View Post
    I am not saying all American police officers are Republican, I have nothing against that, I think both parties are crazy in it's self, but why do most American police officers give a Republican vibe, especially when some of them spout Trumpian talking points, etc.?

I think both groups you mentioned tend to be more inclined towards aggressive attitudes and drawn towards physical conflict. Both groups may prioritize security and hierarchical authority above ideals like freedom or equality.

Some occupations by their very nature will end up being slighly more or less compatible with some ideological groups.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    I don't. /10
    This is probably the part where you should admit to your first claim being utterly baseless, and bereft of evidence.

Policing as line of work tends to attract people with authoritarian leanings.

Authoritarian politics in the US are generally Conservative and right wing politics, which are embodied by the Republican party.

So it's a natural affinity.

Tho the same people with the same authoritarian leanings in a place like Venezuela, Cuba, China, North Korea would also just find themselves politically aligned with the local authoritarians and would likely politically identify as "left leaning".

Same reason why the military in the US is right leaning but is left leaning in Cuba or China. Etc.

People with authoritarian leanings will gravitate towards these hierarchical organizations and towards whichever political side best enforces those authoritarian hierarchies.
    Last edited by Mihalik; 2020-05-29 at 08:17 PM.

Can you provide evidence of this claim?

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnusthegreat View Post
    Someone already has.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    Scary. Makes me feel less bad about blasting Blackpink every police traffic stop, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Recent studies since 2016 have shown that Authortarism is one of the clearer predictors of partisan behavior.
    In short:
    People attracted to being police work, prison guards, ICE, tend to be more authoritarian.
    The GOP is the more authoritarian party.

In 2017 the study “Open versus Closed: Personality, Identity, and the Politics of Redistribution,” explored the concept of authoritarian voting.

Author summary of some of findings:

Over the last few decades, party allegiances have become increasingly tied to a core dimension of personality we call “openness.” Citizens high in openness value independence, self-direction, and novelty, while those low in openness value social cohesion, certainty, and security. Individual differences in openness seem to underpin many social and cultural disputes, including debates over the value of racial, ethnic, and cultural diversity, law and order, and traditional values and social norms.

Personality traits like closed mindedness, along with aversion to change and discomfort with diversity, are linked to authoritarianism:

As these social and cultural conflicts have become a bigger part of our political debates, citizens have sorted into different parties based on personality, with citizens high in openness much more likely to be liberals and Democrats than those low in openness. This psychological sorting process does not line up perfectly with older partisan differences based on class, because those higher in income and education also tend to be higher in openness.
    Government Affiliated Snark

Police naturally are going to want to patrol a sleepy suburban area over inner city streets filled with crime, drugs, and gangs. Overlaying voting patterns over those areas reveal that the former is much more likely to be republican than the latter. It won't take long for the police force's individual politics to begin to align with the safer areas.

Or simply put: Why vote for people who want to shoot you?
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    Police naturally are going to want to patrol a sleepy suburban area over inner city streets filled with crime, drugs, and gangs. Overlaying voting patterns over those areas reveal that the former is much more likely to be republican than the latter. It won't take long for the police force's individual politics to begin to align with the safer areas.

It never ceases to amaze me how much utter nonsense you can consistently cram into a single post.

You know the saying, a broken clock is right twice a day? You are the literal exception to that rule.

I know cops on both sides of the spectrum. I'd say they are more right-leaning but not the crazy Trump-level of right-y.

It's all about psychology. They like authority, ranking hierarchy. It's simple. They feel comfortable in that type of system. Most of them are very Mueller-like in republicanism.

Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    It never ceases to amaze me how much utter nonsense you can consistently cram into a single post.

You know the saying, a broken clock is right twice a day? You are the literal exception to that rule.
    Your post is literal nonsense. You brought no counterclaim. Nothing. You just asserted something, which is the weakest form of argument.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Field Marshal
    3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonnusthegreat View Post
    Most Republicans hyped the "Back the Blue/Blue Lives Matter" movement.

Your post is literal nonsense. You brought no counterclaim. Nothing. You just asserted something, which is the weakest form of argument.
    There's no counter argument to nonsense.

Like utter nonsense. We know the psychological profile of people who tend to vote right, we know the psychological profiles of people who are attracted towards jobs like policing.

There's absolutely no fucking relationship between the political orientation of a rural cop and inner city crime rates, not to mention that technically speaking the per capita murder rate is typically higher in red states etc.

Your asinine assertion doesn't deserve an actual serious refutation. Just as someone saying "the Moon is made of cheese from purple martians cows" doesn't deserve a serious refutation beyond "You need your head examined".

Not to mention. Policing is one of the safest jobs in America. Being a highschool student is significantly more dangerous.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/how-d...BNh9KW8SHjfYth
    Last edited by Mihalik; 2020-05-29 at 08:51 PM.

10+ Year Old Account

Uhm... Cops don’t choose to be assigned where they are and your assertion of cops being lazy, is just bizarre.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Quote Originally Posted by Weeps View Post
    Most of them are very Mueller-like in republicanism.
    If this was true, which is patently false, they wouldn't be covering up for their rotten colleagues.

Mueller had the spine to stand up for what is right, even though it would make him a pariah among his conservative peers. This sort of mettle is clearly found in want when it comes to the policemen.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future

Quote Originally Posted by Weeps View Post
    Most of them are very Mueller-like in republicanism.
    Then why are 85% of them voting for Trump?

Field Marshal
    3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    Uhm... Cops don’t choose to be assigned where they are and your assertion of cops being lazy, is just bizarre.
    A lot of suburban cops who live on Long Island/Westchester patrol minority areas in Brooklyn, Bronx, etc.

Residency: You must also be a United States citizen, have a valid New York driver license and live in one of the city's five boroughs or Nassau, Suffolk, Rockland, Westchester, Putnam or Orange counties within 30 days of being hired.

People may think of NY as a deep blue state, but a lot of NY suburbs are pro-police, pro-Giuliani, Blue Lives Matter area

https://www1.nyc.gov/site/nypd/caree...po-hiring.page

A lot of suburban cops who live on Long Island/Westchester patrol minority areas in Brooklyn, Bronx, etc.

Residency: You must also be a United States citizen, have a valid New York driver license and live in one of the city's five boroughs or Nassau, Suffolk, Rockland, Westchester, Putnam or Orange counties within 30 days of being hired.

People may think of NY as a deep blue state, but a lot of NY suburbs are pro-police, pro-Giuliani, Blue Lives Matter area

https://www1.nyc.gov/site/nypd/caree...po-hiring.page
    As someone raised in upstate NY, in one of the few Red leaning counties (Onondaga) I have always been incredibly amused by people thinking that Brooklyn or the Bronx are somehow..."dangerous".

Upstate NY crime is violent, suburban, white, poor and mostly fucking drug related. Most of fucking small town upstate NY has like somewhere between 10 to 20 times the crime rate of the Bronx.
    Last edited by Mihalik; 2020-05-29 at 09:18 PM.