10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaktar View Post
    You're not right. The fact that they are listed as related words doesn't mean they have the same meaning. Possible means can happen, probable means likely will happen, there is no context which changes that.
    If something is likely (probably) to happen that means it can (possibly) happen.

It will probably rain tomorrow.
    It could possibly rain tomorrow.

If you heard any of the two sentences in real life you'd be worried about having to carry an umbrella, not the difference between probably and possibly.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    If something is likely (probably) to happen that means it can (possibly) happen.

If you heard any of the two sentences in real life you'd be worried about having to carry an umbrella, not the difference between probably and possibly.
    That's just sad now.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Just saw the news that one of the officer's been charged with murder. Good.

Has there been any news about the other three?
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

Quote Originally Posted by Gestopft View Post
    A black NFL player that protested police violence by kneeling for the national anthem. He was treated the same as (if not worse than) the protesters some of whom turned rioters in Minneapolis by right wing circles

My point more simply: there’s a group of people that will criticize Black people protesting no matter how peacefully it is, because the problem for them isn’t the manner of the protests, it’s who is doing the protesting
    Nobody is protesting the peacful protests. What people are angry about is the looting and rioting.

Race hustling like your post has to stop. You are not helping anyone with it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by LilSaihah View Post
    Just saw the news that one of the officer's been charged with murder. Good.

Has there been any news about the other three?
    3rd degree murder and manslaughter. The other three are still under investigation as they continue to gather evidence.

Quote Originally Posted by rrayy View Post
    Nobody is protesting the peacful protests. What people are angry about is the looting and rioting.
    Did you not see the reaction to Kaepernick’s kneeling? I know this was a few years ago, but c’mon...
    "We must make our choice. We may have democracy, or we may have wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both."
    -Louis Brandeis

You should probably lecture them on the proper use of the word.
    No...I think they have it

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/probably

Synonyms & Antonyms for probably
    Synonyms

assumably, doubtless, likely, presumably
    Do you see the word "Possibly" listed in synonyms? It's not there.

To put it another way:

https://www.dailywritingtips.com/probable-vs-possible/
    Possible — the noun form is possibility — means “having the potential.” (Potential, along with the latter word’s root, potent, shares an etymological origin with the former word.) Possible stems from the Latin term possibilis, which derives in turn from posse, which means “power” or “to be able.” Posse itself was borrowed into English from the Medieval Latin phrase posse comitatus, which literally means “power of the county.”

(This term, later shortened to posse, referred to the authority of a local official to conscript men to respond to an emergency; such a deputized detail features in many works of filmed or printed fiction in the western genre, but now, the term is most commonly heard as a jocular slang synonym for a celebrity’s entourage or retinue or anyone’s group of friends.)

Probable, which means “likely,” comes from the Latin term probabilis, which itself stems from probare, meaning “to approve, prove, or test.” Related words referring to the first sense include approbation and probity; prove itself is akin to probable, as is probe. Probability is the term for the branch of mathematics dealing with chance and is used in logic to refer to the degree to which two statements confirm each other.

Probable refers to what is likely to be done, to occur, or to be true; possible refers to what can be done, to occur, or to be true. If you say something is probable, you are expressing more confidence about it than if you state that it is possible. But the distinction is significant: It is possible, for example, for anyone to become fabulously wealthy, but the probability is infinitely variable.

If I say it is possible I could win the lottery is it the same thing as me saying it is probable I will win the lottery?
    Last edited by Egomaniac; 2020-05-29 at 11:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
    https://twitter.com/kscullinfox9/sta...970918922?s=19

This might have been posted already.

Yeah, I figured it was this or he smoked marijuana to grease the wheels of injustice.

Idk if I need to explain that having a knee on someone's neck can lead to heart failure. Or if he had heart disease he wasn't going to die that day walking down the street.

I'm telling you if this medical exam sticks I see the cops getting a real light sentence.
    He was charged with 3rd degree murder and manslaughter due to that report. It is almost impossible to prove intent and premeditation with a cop to begin with. That report removes whatever slim chance they had on 1st or 2nd degree. So, they charge him with 3rd degree as they are not required to prove anything other than he contributed to the death. If he gets the max on both it will be a total of 35 years. He won't be getting off light even with a less than max sentence. But 3rd degree murder is a slam dunk conviction.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gestopft View Post
    Did you not see the reaction to Kaepernick’s kneeling? I know this was a few years ago, but c’mon...
    There were protests of thje protests. The liberal media initailly tried to ignore it until Trump gave a voice to those protestors. Anarchists trying to take advantage of it to get attention for their own causes was a side effect. But hardly rose to treating Kap the same or worse.

Quote Originally Posted by rrayy View Post
    He was charged with 3rd degree murder and manslaughter due to that report. It is almost impossible to prove intent and premeditation with a cop to begin with. That report removes whatever slim chance they had on 1st or 2nd degree. So, they charge him with 3rd degree as they are not required to prove anything other than he contributed to the death. If he gets the max on both it will be a total of 35 years. He won't be getting off light even with a less than max sentence. But 3rd degree murder is a slam dunk conviction.
    If he makes it to a federal prison...I'll be surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    If he makes it to a federal prison...I'll be surprised.
    These are state charges. Therefore, he only goes to state prison. The only thing he is being investigated for on the federal level is civil rights violations.

10+ Year Old Account
    See protesters are gathering outside the White House now... finally a place I want them to raid and loot. Maybe burn it down too...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Egomaniac View Post
    If I say it is possible I could win the lottery is it the same thing as me saying it is probable I will win the lottery?
    You really don't want want to debate linguistic style of that's your example.

No one speaks like that. Or should I nobody?

Like I've said, you want to argue semantics when difference is insignificant.

0.342 and 0.3421 are two different numbers. They difference is insignificant in most cases.

The probably and possibly are two different words. The difference between the two is insignificant in the uses of the words.

You said possibly, I said probably, yet the message about the officer was the same.

YOU chose to throw a hissy fit over one word.

Yes, investigated... which could possibly lead to him being fired.
    Lol, probably?

I would not bet on it.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    See protesters are gathering outside the White House now... finally a place I want them to raid and loot. Maybe burn it down too...
    Flip your calendar to 1814.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Freighter View Post
    Lmao, do people actually think people will sympathize with them when they do this?
    They don't anyways so why not say fuck and make it shitty for others too?
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    Flip your calendar to 1814.
    America can succeed where we Brits failed.

10+ Year Old Account
    This video has been making the rounds on social media again and I think it's excellent to bear reposting here. Because it dispenses with all of the deflections, the sidestepping, the bullshit, the logical fallacies and circular arguments, and gets down to the red meat of it.

Quote Originally Posted by "Being Black" by Jane Elliot
    Jane Elliot: "I want every white person in this room who would be happy to be treated, as this society in general treats our citizens, our black citizens. If you as a white person would be happy to receive the same treatment that our black citizens do in this country. Please stand."

[PAUSE. NO VOLUNTEERS]

J.E.: "You didn't understand the directions. If you white folks want to be treated the way blacks in this society are, stand."

[STILL NO VOLUNTEERS]

J.E.: "Nobody's standing here. That says very plainly that you know what's happening. You know you don't want it for you. I want to know why you are so willing to accept it, or to allow it to happen for others."
    Last edited by Elegiac; 2020-05-30 at 12:18 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

You really don't want want to debate linguistic style of that's your example.

No one speaks like that. Or should I nobody?

Like I've said, you want to argue semantics when difference is insignificant.

0.342 and 0.3421 are two different numbers. They difference is insignificant in most cases.

The probably and possibly are two different words. The difference between the two is insignificant in the uses of the words.

You said possibly, I said probably, yet the message about the officer was the same.

YOU chose to throw a hissy fit over one word.
    The message is not the same

Probably - most likely result.

Possible - it could happen.

It is about fucking time that Americans, especially African Americans, started rising up violently against the government. Peaceful protest leads to shit. But this...

But look at this. You light a few cars on fire and actually give a shit about fighting, and the fascist pigs retreat.

And where are the guns? You fucking people horde guns in case the government becomes too powerful and you need to rise up.

Well now they are arresting reporters in the street.

If not now, WHEN?

Let America burn. They are a stain on the west and always have been. Nobody respects westerners, mainly because of Americans.

It’s time they were put in their fucking place.

I feel like the last 20 or so pages have degraded to quite low level. What I also dislike is that it seems that there are way too many people who are almost defending looting. Not "I understand that people went anger in not the smartest ways", but "meh, its fine, private property does not matter".

Looting and random destruction is not excusable, please, just stop it. I trully wonder how many businesses have gone under because of this (potentially causing indirect deaths...).
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post
    Take that haters.
    IF IM STUPID, so is Donald Trump.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Easo View Post
    I feel like the last 20 or so pages have degraded to quite low level. What I also dislike is that it seems that there are way too many people who are almost defending looting. Not "I understand that people went anger in not the smartest ways", but "meh, its fine, private property does not matter".

Looting and random destruction is not excusable, please, just stop it. I trully wonder how many businesses have gone under because of this (potentially causing indirect deaths...).
    1. Murder is worse than property damage.
    2. The property damage could be prevented if you stopped the murders.

Complaining about the rioting and drawing attention to it as if it is the thing at fault here is just perpetuating the problem.

If you had the chance right now, would you trade places with any one of the protesters or rioters? Even a single one of them?

Probably not. As to why that is:

You know what's happening. You know you don't want it for you. I want to know why you are so willing to accept it, or to allow it to happen for others.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Rioting fucks everyone up...and doesn't make anything better.