5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thalassian Bob View Post
    They are both going to look very pretty!

Here's what my boiz are almost going to look like:

My blood elven farstrider (who either steered clear from the fel crystals or is a prodigal Allerian Stronghold returnee) who's going to be rocking blue eyes, that new brown hair colour and probably the new full beard (\o/) and my void elf magister who is going to be pale, blue or purple-eyed and probably using hair colour 8 silver unless some more natural colours are going to be added as soon as SL goes live.
    Love it! This is going to add a lot of diversity/complexity to High Elves (the race) as a whole.

I bet people are going to have very interesting stories to share!

Quote Originally Posted by Monster Hunter View Post
    depends what you were fighting for. personally i was fighting against high elves being added as i don't want any more elf races taking up possible slots for new and interesting races, i don't like elves, i think there weak and a shitty over done trope in fantasy now. this current compromise is fine, people who want to do all the RP crap can play pretend and at the same time not much dev time and resource has been wasted on it.

but to say its the ultimate win is realy just self aggrandising the basic ask, high elves fundamentally still are not playable, a void elf that looks like a high elf is playable and a blood elf with blue eyes is playable, but for those who wanted a proper playable race like night elves and night born enjoy, this is basically the biggest crushing defeat they could have gotten.
    Well who says that the slots are limited? Elves existing doesn't automatically exclude the possibility of adding Ogres, Nagas or whatever exotic race people want. If they wanted to, they could literally add all the races they could dream of and then some. Plus, frankly, there were exotic or cool races added. They did make that effort. We got Vulperas, Draenei, Worgen, Mechagnomes. They are indeed exotic looking and some can be considered interesting. But the truth is that people just like Elves and want to play attractive Elves. They'll always be more popular than any other race bar possibly Humans

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Luck4 View Post
    This thread is going to reach 1000 pages way sooner than I expected.

Congratz guys, I mean, I know these customizations are not the High Elf AR most here were asking for, but at least you guys got something closer, and this came way sooner than I expected.

Cheers!
    That's true, I did not think it would come so quickly!! I was expecting an uphill battle like it was, well into 10.0+

Quote Originally Posted by Monster Hunter View Post
    like night elves and night born enjoy, this is basically the biggest crushing defeat they could have gotten.
    Really? They are one and the same. Boil it down, people were asking for Blood Elves with blue eyes playable on Alliance so they could play dressup. Now you can dress the story up as if it was something else but that's really what it boils down to, aesthetics. And aesthetics is what they are getting.

It's not even like Kul'tirans who are just fat humans with working class English accents, because the High Elves and Blood Elves all come from the same place. What theme is there even to go with regarding High Elves? Barely any time has passed since they renamed themselves Blood Elves. With Void Elves they had something to go on at least, even though that itself was also just an attempt to appease.

They got exactly what they wanted, high/blood elf aesthetics on Alliance.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

Quote Originally Posted by Thalassian Bob View Post
    Thanks! ^^

Both these chaps started as chicks actually haha! I think I just got fed up with how small weapons can look on female Thalassians sometimes! But that knew hairstyle with the tiara is very tempting on the ladies! It's really beautiful!

I know what you mean about hopefully getting some knew variety! I only ever really used the silver hair colours on my velves or the blue. And I feel like the velves currently only suit a quite limited transmog palette if you are going to have much of their skin/hair on show. Things are looking good for that so far though, so fingers crossed there's still much more customisation to come!

I'm really hoping for WC2 farstrider war paint for both Thalassian groups! Runic tattoos for magisters and warlocks would be great too!
    Yeah, it's a good point you bring up. Because Void Elves has the same issues as Nightborne(I would argue NB having it even worse because of the larger model, I've only found their heritage to fit) that their skin makes their transmog a bit limited seeing blue is, well blue so it doesn't fit with everything. So it's definitely an upgrade in that regard.

I had one elf male once, Night Elf... (Shhhhh don't tell anyone)

Quote Originally Posted by Geisl View Post
    Love it! This is going to add a lot of diversity/complexity to High Elves (the race) as a whole.

I bet people are going to have very interesting stories to share!
    I have both those mogs and they are epic.
    Shame there are mog restrictions. I'd love to wear some of the cloth armors on my paladin

Quote Originally Posted by Broflake View Post
    That is because helfers often do the following.
    You are not self aware.

You can't say people are wrong, knowing what they are referring to, and demanding they observe your context while denying theirs. Neither of you are wrong, but neither of you can claim the other truly is wrong. If people spent less time trying to be correct within their aspect, the discussions would be much more civil
    Yes, I can say people are wrong because the context I am using is literally what the game is using, I am literally using the game's terminology. And when I tell I want playable High Elves, everyone knows what I am talking about, so when I get replies that High Elves are already playable and are in the Horde, all I can see is that the person is being disrespectful and hence the discussion doesn't deserve any civility for the get go.

No...it isnt.
    Your request was to pull a core race from the Horde, so when people say that, its them pointing out the race you wanted is on the Horde and to go there to enjoy them. Saying "they aren't playable" is factually incorrect, and is an intent to deny what the Horde has as its most popular race. This is why there is so much contention. Many Helfers behave as if their request comes at no detriment, but it does. It waters down faction differences, and it damages the unique aspect of the Horde which is there only pretty race with a horde mind set.
    That is no different than Horde demanding to have Humans, Dranei, or Worgen. ALl of which are important aspects of the alliance.
    This is what you are doing now, for example. You know what I mean by 'High Elves' and you go on and say that "they aren't playable" is factually incorrect. So from the get go I am not inclined for the civil discussion because as I see it, you are being deliberately obtuse about what I am actually talking about.

Blood elf heritage quest.
    TBC where they explain their history.
    [b]the race descriptor and explanation of arthas' genocide./b]
    Yes, they called themselves High Elves, then they changed their name. This is what I already told.

Chris metzen said blood elves are their high elves.
    They have iterated this more than once.
    Their high elves means Metzen meant a trope. Again, exactly as I've claimed.

In game the high elves refer to the blood elves as kin. They view each other as the same people, but with different philoophies.
    This is why someone who doesnt know the elf in front of them has to guess. They're the same people. Its like guessing whether or not someone is a democrat or a republican. You'll get corrected of course, but its an understandable error, and one they know of.
    There is no excuse for a player to confuse them. The game does not treat them interchangeably at all and is pretty damn specific about who is High Elf and who is Blood Elf.

The Void elf theme is completely dwarfed by this change..
    So any interesting lore is going to be met with "okay whatever, I still look like elven waifu alleria.". Who many still refuse to acknowledge as a void elf despite the devs calling her such.
    That is how important aesthetics are, and not only does it kill the void elf theme, it completely ruins the blood elf theme whose defining characteristics is that natural appearance.
    And...for what?
    Jewelry and accessories EVERYONE gets in some form or another?
    Meanwhile...you can be a void elf and get access to BOTH themes. Void, and natural.
    I actually agree with you here regarding Void Elves. They indeed are going to become surrogate High Elves and their distinct themes will disappear. Which is why I never thought that giving Void Elves pale skins is a good idea. High Elves should have been added separately.

I don't mind that you guys wanted high elves. It was always your right to request and ill defend it. I disagreed with it though, because my concern, is having the game remain unique from other MMOs where everyone can be a pretty high elf. Now thats gone, and the worst part is that the alliance get the better end of the deal, as always, because they now get two themes to the blood elves one.
    It's simple, you see the theme of Blood Elves and High Elves as pretty much the same while I don't. I consider them separate. Now, though, the new skin options for Void Elves pretty much closed the doors for playable High Elves unfortunately. I don't actually play the game anymore but playable High Elves was something I wanted for a long time and it would have been the thing that would have prompted me to come back. But that won't happen anymore, and I doubt there would be something else that would rekindle my interest in the game. Though I am not upset that much about it, as Blizzard has turned into a shit company that I wouldn't really want to give my money to anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Doffen View Post
    Yeah, it's a good point you bring up. Because Void Elves has the same issues as Nightborne(I would argue NB having it even worse because of the larger model, I've only found their heritage to fit) that their skin makes their transmog a bit limited seeing blue is, well blue so it doesn't fit with everything. So it's definitely an upgrade in that regard.

I had one elf male once, Night Elf... (Shhhhh don't tell anyone)
    You can match anything with their skin color if you do it right.
    As long as you have a third color that is complementary you have limitless choices.
    Their heritage armor shoulder pads are also amazing to use.

As far as RP goes, this is all Blizzard needed to do to make viable Half Elves. Tell me with a straight face that ain't a Half Blood Elf.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz View Post
    Really? They are one and the same. Boil it down, people were asking for Blood Elves with blue eyes playable on Alliance so they could play dressup. Now you can dress the story up as if it was something else but that's really what it boils down to, aesthetics. And aesthetics is what they are getting.

It's not even like Kul'tirans who are just fat humans with working class English accents, because the High Elves and Blood Elves all come from the same place. What theme is there even to go with regarding High Elves? Barely any time has passed since they renamed themselves Blood Elves. With Void Elves they had something to go on at least, even though that itself was also just an attempt to appease.

They got exactly what they wanted, high/blood elf aesthetics on Alliance.
    go to the start of the the thread and then read about 50+ of the pages of circle jerking over radials and racial leaders and starting zones e.t.c

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Selinde View Post
    Well who says that the slots are limited? Elves existing doesn't automatically exclude the possibility of adding Ogres, Nagas or whatever exotic race people want. If they wanted to, they could literally add all the races they could dream of and then some. Plus, frankly, there were exotic or cool races added. They did make that effort. We got Vulperas, Draenei, Worgen, Mechagnomes. They are indeed exotic looking and some can be considered interesting. But the truth is that people just like Elves and want to play attractive Elves. They'll always be more popular than any other race bar possibly Humans
    dons't matter if there limited or not, every slot taken up by an elf is a wasted slot that could have been filled by something more interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by shoc View Post
    As far as RP goes, this is all Blizzard needed to do to make viable Half Elves. Tell me with a straight face that ain't a Half Blood Elf.

No one wanted them unfortunately.
    So...yeah.
    Back when I made a topic o the official forums they instantly flag bombed it.
    When I suggested it in a post, they flag bombed it and the mods removed it (for some reason).

Like...it was insane.

Which means absolutely nothing.
    Dranei were not an alliance race, until they were.
    Neither were Goblins a horde group, until they were (even though a goblin works for the alliance prior to cata).
    The alliance didn't have an Alliance race of high elves. They left between WC2 and WC3, before world of warcraft.
    The alliance is owed nothing, they're a fiction faction. The devs want them to be on the horde, so they hit the horde.
    Draenei were not affiliated with anyone before they appeared. You are completely disregarding the fact that High Elves used to be affiliated with the Alliance in prior Warcraft lore and this gives the Alliance players the expectations that they would continue to do so, especially since a group of the original Alliance-friendly High Elves still exists even now in current World of Warcraft lore.
    The Alliance is owed exactly the same as the Horde since they're both fictional factions..?
    The devs only gave them to the Horde in TBC to help raise the Horde population with a pretty human-like, attractive race.

You are complaining that the comparison of two groups being different solely by their political views, isn't good enough because it doesn't have the same background history as another group that is different due to their political views.
    Your response was pedantic, and only enforced my point.
    So I am not sure why you ducked under the point to argue about nothing.
    Uhm no need to be aggressive? I merely corrected the logical error in your comparison. If you want to get the difference between High Elves and Blood Elves right then you need to compare them to something similar. Ignoring that they share the same history but then at some point they parted ways just to prove your point of them being the same race is misleading. High Elf used to be the race name, however they renamed themselves and when some didn't, it automatically acquired an additional political meaning that separated them from Blood Elves and the other way around as well. So it's wrong to say that Blood Elves are still High Elves since that name now means something different.

Is this a friggin joke?
    I've played Alliance all the way until BFA, where my wife wanted to go Horde since she'd always been alliance. The difference in what the Alliance have and what the Horde have is insane.
    Prior to the release of Cata, the Horde had worse questing areas and less area to go questing. This is due to the fact that the Horde was designed last and was rushed last minute. So it took all the way until Cata to give them an equal amount of questing areas to the alliance and an equal number of capital cities.
    The alliance has also had greater variety than the Horde in mounts, both ground and in flying mounts. They still have access to their bike, despite losing the voting contest (lol) because alliance screamed hard enough.
    They had better racials overall for PvE for a majority of the game's time span.
    The RP community is more expansive.
    The pet players are more expansive.
    The community in every aspect outside of raids/m+ is beter for the alliance.

Heck, the Alliance even acquired 2 of the Horde PvP mounts!

The ONLY area that the Horde has an advantage is

1. Raiding. The Horde has always had a stronger raiding community. They had better M+ until BFA, where the alliance wins due to shadowmeld.
    2. Mentality. The Alliance whines and complains the moment the Horde gets anything. OH NO THE STATUE AT BLIZZARD! OH NO WE ARENT THE MAIN FOCUS OF THE STORY!

So if you want to do ANYTHING else besides raid and M+? You go alliance.
    Their cities are better designed (Boralis vs Dazar alor), the aesthetics is better (WoD base), and their story doesn't involve them constantly regressing to WC2 behavior. Their racials are even better oh, AND they just got the entire design of a core race the horde has had since TBC.

Shafted indeed.
    Hmm sorry it just feels like you're not being objective. The Horde has always been the dev's favorite faction. It's no secret that most of them are Horde players and fans as well. We just got an entire expansion focusing on basically the Horde's lore and identity? And are you seriously arguing about the Alliance having more variety in mounts when they had like 6 different horses and gryphons in BfA while the Horde got several new models from reputations?

Prior to the announcement, it seemingly wasn't possible because Alleria's change was thorugh different circumstances.
    Clearly this has changed, so I don't see why I'd disagree with you in this aspect.
    I simply don't approve of it because it means that the alliance, once again, gets more than the Horde.

They get two themes to play. The horde gets one.
    So...why would you play a blood elf when you can just play a void elf?
    Blood elves aren't even a desired race in raids.
    Because you like the Blood Elf lore and you want to be part of the Horde.

No one wanted them unfortunately.
    So...yeah.
    Back when I made a topic o the official forums they instantly flag bombed it.
    When I suggested it in a post, they flag bombed it and the mods removed it (for some reason).

Like...it was insane.
    I made this 4 years ago, yesterday. I wrote it up when I was playing the Legion Beta. About half of em came true, if you include the short-eared customization options to represent both half-Blood Elves and Half-Void/High Elves, and the Undead Decay options as fresher undead. I'm calling Kul Tirans = Big Bois a half successful call. But anyways, I wanted Half Elves! So that's one person at least lmao. Cringing at my Half Worgen idea, oh god that was so bad.

You can match anything with their skin color if you do it right.
    As long as you have a third color that is complementary you have limitless choices.
    Their heritage armor shoulder pads are also amazing to use.
    I don't think the shoulders looks good with anything else for NB, but eye of the beholder of course. I like it simple, but as you say I need to take another step in the color department to make it work.

Mhm, you were maybe talking about Void Elves? Yes, the shoulders(or chest rather) is very nice and have some uses outside heritage. If so, I do have several different sets with Void Elves, and it's a lot easier for Velves, for sure. On hunter I got gray hair with mythic t19, on rogue I have used mythic t18 a lot with dark red hair, my warlock has tier5 with red hair, on mage t21 gladiator is very nice.

Best one is my DK. Where I use mythic t21 with the void wings and ebon blade tabard. I am Frost on it so I am very happy with that one.

Did not mean it's so hard to find other sets on Velves, but with the new options it just opens the possibilities immensly. Though on Nightborne I got issues. I found some red set that was decent, but its heritage or nothing for me there. My lack of imagination I guess
    Last edited by Doffen; 2020-05-30 at 03:10 AM.

Draenei were not affiliated with anyone before they appeared. You are completely disregarding the fact that High Elves used to be affiliated with the Alliance in prior Warcraft lore and this gives the Alliance players the expectations that they would continue to do so, especially since a group of the original Alliance-friendly High Elves still exists even now in current World of Warcraft lore.
    The Alliance is owed exactly the same as the Horde since they're both fictional factions..?
    The devs only gave them to the Horde in TBC to help raise the Horde population with a pretty human-like, attractive race.
    I think you're not understanding the point because you're stuck on what used to be instead of what is.
    The humans of alterac were affiliated with the Horde. Does this mean just because they were affiliated with them during a part of WoW's history that the Horde should get humans?
    No.
    Stories change, and if it meant that the horde needed a pretty race, then so what?
    You give things importance that have none.
    People change alliances.
    There was a time where Britain and the US were mortal enemies, do you complain about that now and say we should still be fighting them?
    How about complaining Russia is no longer a US ally?

[QUOTE=Selinde;52382498]
    Uhm no need to be aggressive?[/quote
    I apologize if I come off as aggressive. It is not my intention. I speak very directly and bluntly and have been under more than enough stress so it bleeds. I do sincerely apologize.

I merely corrected the logical error in your comparison. If you want to get the difference between High Elves and Blood Elves right then you need to compare them to something similar. Ignoring that they share the same history but then at some point they parted ways just to prove your point of them being the same race is misleading. High Elf used to be the race name, however they renamed themselves and when some didn't, it automatically acquired an additional political meaning that separated them from Blood Elves and the other way around as well. So it's wrong to say that Blood Elves are still High Elves since that name now means something different.
    I mean, that isn't any different than when the Republicans and Democrats experienced a sharp cultural and political view shift in the 1920'. Simply because the name changes or circumstances invoke changes in populaton doesn't make the metaphor irrelevant or the point lesser.
    You are seeking to create a perfect example when none is needed.

Hmm sorry it just feels like you're not being objective. The Horde has always been the dev's favorite faction. It's no secret that most of them are Horde players and fans as well. We just got an entire expansion focusing on basically the Horde's lore and identity? And are you seriously arguing about the Alliance having more variety in mounts when they had like 6 different horses and gryphons in BfA while the Horde got several new models from reputations?
    If you're ever saying that it feels like im not being objective, do you not think perhaps you are not evaluating my statement fairly?
    The number of unique models accessible to the Alliance is greater than the number of unique models accessible to the Horde.
    It was even stated that when BFA was released, the reason they had greater variety in recolors was because the alliance had a greater number of flying mounts.
    Even with the addition the horde still has less.

In terms of unique models, the Horde received no unique models. Those story quest mounts are accessible to the alliance as well.
    Thi is not the case for the unique model the Alliance obtained with the bee. Horde cannot use it.

Because you like the Blood Elf lore and you want to be part of the Horde.
    Why would I care for the blood elf lore if the void elves also have access to said blood elf lore?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Doffen View Post
    I don't think the shoulders looks good with anything else for NB, but eye of the beholder of course. I like it simple, but as you say I need to take another step in the color department to make it work.

Mhm, you were maybe talking about Void Elves? Yes, the shoulders(or chest rather) is very nice and have some uses outside heritage. If so, I do have several different sets with Void Elves, and it's a lot easier for Velves, for sure. On hunter I got gray hair with mythic t19, on rogue I have used mythic t18 a lot with dark red hair, my warlock has tier5 with red hair, on mage t21 gladiator is very nice.

Best one is my DK. Where I use mythic t21 with the void wings and ebon blade tabard. I am Frost on it so I am very happy with that one.

Did not mean it's so hard to find other sets on Velves, but with the new options it just opens the possibilities immensly. Though on Nightborne I got issues. I found some red set that was decent, but its heritage or nothing for me there. My lack of imagination I guess
    murgatroyd had a good mog using the eternal traveler and void elf set. It lokoed great

Well, if you've read my posts it is not BE should have it but BOTH should have it.
    Let alone how is it that VE's have more sense honoring Alleria, over the BE's who have a memorial over her, and bemoaned her disappearance and continued to honor her when she reappeared?

This desire to try and say "well VE' should get this that and more" after already taking the appearance of a BE is just trying tot ake the mile after being given the inch.
    If we're doing tattoos they should be for BOTH, and done in a way that can help highlight differences.

Considering nightborne have literally been a failure in terms of design both gameplay wise (racials), and in their appearance being terribly different from the actual NPCs, it wouldn't be appropriate to saythat for some unearthly reason, blood elves don't practice tattoos...when Alleria was originally one of their own as a high elf.
    Or that that a blood elf i featured with a facial tattoo on the TBC box.

You can give BOTH parties the same thing but implement it differntly to make things unique.
    Honestly give it to both if it's stops you from being this pissy. Seriously.

You can't even mention "hey! maybe Void Elves could pattern themselves after Alleria's stylings since she saved them" without "what about the blood elves" dear lord.

But fine, sure, let's blood elves have tattoos only used by the leader of the group they kicked out if it makes you happy.

Quote Originally Posted by MyWholeLifeIsThunder View Post

You can't even mention "hey! maybe Void Elves could pattern themselves after Alleria's stylings since she saved them" without "what about the blood elves" dear lord.

But fine, sure, let's blood elves have tattoos only used by the leader of the group they kicked out if it makes you happy.
    They just need to do tattoos like in this pic:

Also, change Entropic Embrace to the one at the bottom of the image. This plus the new skins will finally make Void Elves feel complete, at least visually.

Quote Originally Posted by FossilFree View Post

Also, change Entropic Embrace to the one at the bottom of the image. This plus the new skins will finally make Void Elves feel complete, at least visually.
    Agree on both accounts.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ardenaso View Post
    isn't Vereesa an anomaly though? Her hair is like Dath'remar's which is extremely unique
    It is the DK hair color, but a lot of other HE NPC's use it.

Maybe they should give a similar tone to Void Elves instead of blonde?

Apologies that I consider both sides. I'll just sling mud like you and yours have been doing.

Yeah, because it makes sense that the people Alleria originated from would not at all use tattoos. Those same people who represent that same original culture.
    I forgot it was a really bad thing considering void elves getting 2 themes to a blood elves 1 is just unfair for void elves.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by FossilFree View Post

That would work. I am not sure if they'll go that option for the void embrace thing. Seems a waste if its only with entropic embrace(?).
    I like the tattoo it looks good.

Apologies that I consider both sides. I'll just sling mud like you and yours have been doing.
    You do love playing the victim even when it's just hypocritical to the nth degree that you come at me because I don't consider this for BE's when your whole thing has been about denying High Elves for the alliance. Now you advocate for both sides?

Yeah, because it makes sense that the people Alleria originated from would not at all use tattoos. Those same people who represent that same original culture.
    I forgot it was a really bad thing considering void elves getting 2 themes to a blood elves 1 is just unfair for void elves.
    You say "Blood Elves have one theme." Are you for real or messing with me right now? Did you actually say "blood elves have one theme"

Sure, they get paladins, they get warlocks and DH's, they get mages. Light, Fel and Arcane major and distinct cornerstones of their culture, but that's just one theme, and OH HOW PEOPLE DARE that maybe Void Elves could make use of UNUSED rangery aesthetics for them.

Instead of void elves that are just... void. No, light skin isn't a "theme" FFS.

But sure, I might believe the level of entitlement you have over thalassian lore is outstanding, how you feel blood elves must represent EVERY aspect of it, even the one they are not even using right now. But you know what? I'm not going to actually start now to tell people "no you can't ask that" and since I don't believe in faction exclusivity, go ahead and ask farstrider tattoos for blood elves.

I personally believe that BE's have moved beyond that aesthetic, but that's just me. Personally I'd rather have the scar tattoos of the BE box art.