Quote Originally Posted by Kaelwryn View Post
    Hunting Log Locations, and you can always do palace of the dead instead of waiting for fates to pop.
    Palace of the dead doesn't unlock until later. And I am not navigating through that archaic-looking web page just to find a mob that gives me 900 xp.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AryuFate View Post
    Palace of the dead doesn't unlock until later. And I am not navigating through that archaic-looking web page just to find a mob that gives me 900 xp.
    ? You only need to be level 17 to unlock it and can enter it from level 1 at Quarrymill. (quest starts in Gridania)

Quote Originally Posted by listo95 View Post
    ? You only need to be level 17 to unlock it and can enter it from level 1 at Quarrymill. (quest starts in Gridania)
    I'm level 12 and have no idea how to get to 17. I'm sitting here with a thumb up my ass waiting for FATEs to pop up. I might just play ESO instead now.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm level 12 and have no idea how to get to 17. I'm sitting here with a thumb up my ass waiting for FATEs to pop up. I might just play ESO instead now.
    ... Then do MSQ? I'm kinda confused what the problem here is. You can enter PotD from level 1 on any class as long as you have it unlocked.

... Then do MSQ? I'm kinda confused what the problem here is.
    I already did the MSQs on my main.

- - - Updated - - -
    You can enter PotD from level 1 on any class as long as you have it unlocked.

Oh, ok. I will give it one last go. This better be worth it.

10+ Year Old Account

- - - Updated - - -

Is this the same character you are playing? If so switch to your main job and do the unlock quest, then you can enter it on the baby arcanist.

- - - Updated - - -

Do everyone a favor and just quit. You sound miserable to be around.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    do class quests, guildhests and hunting log?

you said no to hunting log but im not sure why? it's pretty efficient exp, better than fates?

but yeah you should probably just go play a different game

I'm pissed and ready to quit.

All I want to do is level an alt (arcanist) to 30, so I can heal dungeons to 50 as scholar.

I am at level 12 and have not finished hunting logs because I don’t know where the mobs I’m supposed to kill are. So I’m doing FATEs until 20, which is when I can do dungeons. But I'm sitting here with my thumb up my ass.

People say it’s great that you can level all your classes on 1 character... but I’d rather start a new one with MSQs than sit around waiting for FATEs to pop up. This is ridiculous.
    You can do Levequests as well, a set of those takes usually 10-15 minutes and it gives around 1 1/2 levels at level 12.

Also leveling roulette is 16, first dungeon is 15

All I want to do is level an alt (arcanist) to 30, so I can heal dungeons to 50 as scholar.

I am at level 12 and have not finished hunting logs because I don’t know where the mobs I’m supposed to kill are. So I’m doing FATEs until 20, which is when I can do dungeons. But I'm sitting here with my thumb up my ass.

People say it’s great that you can level all your classes on 1 character... but I’d rather start a new one with MSQs than sit around waiting for FATEs to pop up. This is ridiculous.
    have you every tried to google? lol 1-20 is like an hour or two of work lol

15+ Year Old Account
    How the fuck is it archaic lmao. You click on whatever rank you need that's under the class image header and it gives you an image location of each mob. Its the absolute easiest page to use for hunting log.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by StrawberryZebra View Post
    I probably would have, but (at the risk of upsetting and setting off the people who think FF14 is perfect in every way...), I feel as though my ability to get something like that off the ground has been hamstrung before I even get started simply due to how some of the social functions work
    Yeah, not being able to wisper whenever s/o does some kind of duty REALLY SUCKS. I love the game but I never got that dumb restriction.
    Esp when you have friends on other servers and cannot see whether they are in a duty or not, you always get the "forbidden zone" error. UGH.

As for your description of the people: you will find all sorts in the game, just like it is in WoW. From glamor hunters up to "raiding=serious business", everything is there.

Regarding consoles: I have a few PS4 players in my friendlist. We never had any problems in communicating.
    There is such a novel thing called "USB-Keyboard", unconfirmed legends state it that it can be plugged into the PS4.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dakhath View Post
    Do everyone a favor and just quit. You sound miserable to be around.
    This. What a ridiculous attitude.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kaelwryn View Post
    Uuh... nice. Didn't know that one. Contemplating finishing off mine just for kicks and completion OCD's sake.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by The Oblivion View Post
    have you every tried to google? lol 1-20 is like an hour or two of work lol
    Unless you're a black mage of course *ducks and runs for cover*

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    Yeah, not being able to wisper whenever s/o does some kind of duty REALLY SUCKS. I love the game but I never got that dumb restriction.
    Esp when you have friends on other servers and cannot see whether they are in a duty or not, you always get the "forbidden zone" error. UGH.

As for your description of the people: you will find all sorts in the game, just like it is in WoW. From glamor hunters up to "raiding=serious business", everything is there.

Regarding consoles: I have a few PS4 players in my friendlist. We never had any problems in communicating.
    There is such a novel thing called "USB-Keyboard", unconfirmed legends state it that it can be plugged into the PS4.

- - - Updated - - -

This. What a ridiculous attitude.

- - - Updated - - -

Uuh... nice. Didn't know that one. Contemplating finishing off mine just for kicks and completion OCD's sake.

- - - Updated - - -

Unless you're a black mage of course *ducks and runs for cover*
    BLM would be the longest out of all others with hunt logs, fates and side quests. that is for sure.

In my experience however, the vast majority of people I run into are the glamour hunters, story seekers and those who see the game as a place to hang out with their friends.

Probably the most grating of these, for me anyway, are the lore nerds. I did Doma Castle earlier this week with a Samurai who felt the need to point out the in game significance of the colour choices, the enemies we were fighting and the real world similarites to Japanese culture in everything from the decorations to the choice of musical instrument for the bgm and explain the significance of it all.

While I'm sure there are those who would love a guided tour of Doma Castle, I was there just to blast through it for the XP. Those two thing are diametrically opposed. By the time we'd spend half an hour or so in there, and barely made it to the second boss, I'd had enough and went to vote kick him. Enough of the group wanted him to stick around, so I just gave up and rage quit the group.

The game just seems to appeal predominantly to an audience with different preferences to my own. That doesn't mean there aren't the srs bsns types there too, only they seem to be a tiny minority of the overall player base.

I admit I may be wrong there, but I very rarely seem to run into people who want the same from the game as I do.

I'd imagine most PS4 owners have it hooked up to a TV close to their sofa. A keyboard is hardly a sofa friendly peripheral - Particularly if you're going to be using it for long periods of time. It's best to make sure you've got a hard surface for it and are able to use it without putting pressure on wrists or elbows. I can't see the majority of PS4 players doing it, if I'm honest.

10+ Year Old Account
    In my experience however, the vast majority of people I run into are the glamour hunters, story seekers and those who see the game as a place to hang out with their friends.
    Understandable, after all, the game is not as raid focused as WoW. Also, keep in mind, that the vast majority in WoW consists of non-mythic raiders as well.
    Hilarious story about the Samurai. I never encountered sth. like it and I play since ARR. Oo

Yes hardcores are in a minority. So if you want to get on with it, I suggest joining a guild and learning how to get along with people.

Dunno, all PS4 players I know do it. Though they do it only when necessary. Probably because of bad ergonomics, aye.
    Usually, when doing challenging content you are in TS or comparable programs anyway so there isn't much need to type.

To find the locations of hunting log mobs, you can look the name of the mob up on the wiki and you will get coordinates.

Best way to level up is to just do the MSQ. The MSQ alone won't give you enough EXP to reach level cap, so you will need to do some extra stuff like sidequests, fates, or a few dungeons. Queuing for a random dungeon roulette (or, if you don't have dungeon roulettes unlocked, queuing for the latest dungeon you've unlocked) will give you the most EXP out of those activities.

If you are leveling up an alt class, queue for dungeons or do palace of the dead. IIRC the first dungeon unlocks at level 16, so you can do PotD until 16, and then just do dungeons from there on. Personally, I find PotD quite numbing after a couple hours so I prefer to jump on over to dungeons, as they have variety.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    To find the locations of hunting log mobs, you can look the name of the mob up on the wiki and you will get coordinates.

Best way to level up is to just do the MSQ. The MSQ alone won't give you enough EXP to reach level cap, so you will need to do some extra stuff like sidequests, fates, or a few dungeons. Queuing for a random dungeon roulette (or, if you don't have dungeon roulettes unlocked, queuing for the latest dungeon you've unlocked) will give you the most EXP out of those activities.

If you are leveling up an alt class, queue for dungeons or do palace of the dead. IIRC the first dungeon unlocks at level 16, so you can do PotD until 16, and then just do dungeons from there on. Personally, I find PotD quite numbing after a couple hours so I prefer to jump on over to dungeons, as they have variety.

- - - Updated - - -

I decided to just stick with a class I don’t like, simply because it’s already 50. I am now doing the 2.X quests leading up to the expansion. I hear the expac is where the fun starts, but I’m already having loads of fun, so I can only imagine how good the xpac will be. I’m probably gonna stick around.

I decided to just stick with a class I don’t like, simply because it’s already 50. I am now doing the 2.X quests leading up to the expansion. I hear the expac is where the fun starts, but I’m already having loads of fun, so I can only imagine how good the xpac will be. I’m probably gonna stick around.
    IMO, the expac isn't where things "magically gets better"; it's just for the most part the filler segments stop so you're usually just getting interesting, good story most of the time.

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Your kind will never change, and I will never stop fighting you.

Probably the most grating of these, for me anyway, are the lore nerds. I did Doma Castle earlier this week with a Samurai who felt the need to point out the in game significance of the colour choices, the enemies we were fighting and the real world similarites to Japanese culture in everything from the decorations to the choice of musical instrument for the bgm and explain the significance of it all.
    Though what you've described is pretty much everyone I've run into in WoW outside my guild, FFXIV admittedly is not a raid-or-die game and doesn't seem it is meant to be one. If that's the mentality you want to approach it you'll need an FC or static of like minded individuals (which you've already given up on finding/making as per your other post) or just accept it's just not for you.

As for that SAM I've unfortunately never met anyone like that, people in dungeons are usually either mute outside the usual greeting and tyfp at the end or just use anime emotes every so often through the run. He sounds like a cool dude to chat with tbh.
    "I have the most loyal fanboys. Did you ever see that? Where I could stand by Thoradin's Wall and massacre my own people and I wouldn't lose any fanboys. It's like incredible." - Sylvanas Windrunner

"If you kill your enemies, they win." - Anduin Wrynn

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    As for that SAM I've unfortunately never met anyone like that, people in dungeons are usually either mute outside the usual greeting and tyfp at the end or just use anime emotes every so often through the run. He sounds like a cool dude to chat with tbh.
    indeed, +1 for the free museum tourguide.

Quote Originally Posted by The-Shan View Post
    I've thought about giving this game another try, but the questing just didn't grip me. I was a red mage and I was in the middle of the first expansion. Can anyone explain how this game is better than WoW? I want to understand the appeal, but I really don't get it and no youtube has really explained to me what makes it nicer other than the character models.
    It's hard to call it "better", just different. The story, mostly, and what makes the story pretty enjoyable for me is the way a lot of it flows together without a ton of forced and obvious plot devices. what you assume to be throwaway characters you meet early on end up being decently developed and serving a purpose by the end. That, and all major lore characters are actually built upon in game. Even if this is your first final fantasy game you'll never encounter a boss and be sitting there like "who is this guy and why is he important?"

Further, I like the philosophy on class design. Support dps classes are actually a thing and rotations are slower but feel a lot more complex and satisfying.

But if you got half way through Heavensward and didn't enjoy any of it, then it's probably just not for you and there's no problem with that
    Last edited by Beastiel; 2020-05-31 at 03:07 AM.