Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Lorewise, is Holy/Light stronger than Shadow/Void?

I feel like they should be equally strong, like they are the opposite sides of the same coin, but in the game it looks like Holy classes pretty much make shadow their bitches.

Paladins have abilities like Turn Evil, Wake of Ashes, Shadow Resistance Aura that give them extra power by having their way with shadow themed creatures. Priests have Shackle Undead, etc.

Meanwhile, DKs and Locks have no such power that helps them against holy/light creatures.
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~ Jesus of Nazareth
    "把它放在我的屁股,爸爸" ~ Dalai Lama

That's probably because DK's and Lock's don't use Void magic...
    And there are currently no Holy/Light enemies, so a defense against those type would mean to defend against one's own allies. Makes little sense to waste ressources on that for the Warlocks of the black harvest and similar institutions for DK's
    Last edited by LordVargK; 2020-05-30 at 02:08 PM.

Supposed to be equally strong, but the light has lost a lot due to the Legion, so right now Void is stronger.

While there is clearly some pokemon style match up going on in the six principle forces of Warcraft have we ever actually seen the void and light go up against on another.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnusthegreat View Post
    Supposed to be equally strong, but the light has lost a lot due to the Legion, so right now Void is stronger.
    Well, aren't old gods creations of the void lords? If so, the foothold they have over Azeroth diminishes every time we kill an old god.

The Lightbringer Highlord Hanibuhl's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Power depends on the pone who weilds it

Quote Originally Posted by Saverem View Post
    I feel like they should be equally strong, like they are the opposite sides of the same coin, but in the game it looks like Holy classes pretty much make shadow their bitches.

Paladins have abilities like Turn Evil, Wake of Ashes, Shadow Resistance Aura that give them extra power by having their way with shadow themed creatures. Priests have Shackle Undead, etc.

Meanwhile, DKs and Locks have no such power that helps them against holy/light creatures.
    It use to be, and the way Chornicles sets things up, the Light came first, so my feelin si that overall it is stronger.

However in game we have more powerful wielders of void than we do light. Powerful light wielders are not really showcased in Warcraft.. powerful is only showcased with the dark, demonic and evil stuff.. makes me sometimes think that half the creativeteam are irl warlocks.

Wasn't the whole point of the legion to weaken the voidlords? A+ job Sargeras

OP the answer is while there's still an expo to milk out of it the Void will be stronger so we can be scrappy underdogs... But I think we all know what's going to happen when Anduin realises the power that's been sleeping inside him since we met him all those years ago

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnarohk View Post
    Well, aren't old gods creations of the void lords? If so, the foothold they have over Azeroth diminishes every time we kill an old god.
    But we also lost the Naaru, didn't we? Illidan said see ya later.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Saltysquidoon View Post

OP the answer is while there's still an expo to milk out of it the Void will be stronger so we can be scrappy underdogs... But I think we all know what's going to happen when Anduin realises the power that's been sleeping inside him since we met him all those years ago
    The old gods are just the playthings of the void lords though, similar to how we are the playthings of the titans. Void lords are an entirely different level.

The Lightbringer Highlord Hanibuhl's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

- - - Updated - - -

The old gods are just the playthings of the void lords though, similar to how we are the playthings of the titans. Void lords are an entirely different level.
    We didn't lose the Naaru.. there are still some left. Just X'era was destroyed.
    And who knows, there could be more Naaru.

Also, As the Void Lords are the big chief of the Void, so are the Light Lords - or whatever is above the Naaru or Elune

If you consider light and shadow/darkness in their real world concepts, shadows always move out of the light's way, so you could say light is more powerful. But it is also finite, dependent on a source, where as darkness exists everywhere light doesn't without needing to be upkept. I think this thinking transfers rather well to fantasy. Imagine a shadow-corrupted landscape, there are video games that have had those. You would move the hero safely through it with a light source, either on their person or something they follow. The light flickering as its power runs out adds drama to the situation.

5+ Year Old Account
    Class mechanics aside, the Void has been shown to just absorb the Light, nullifying it.

And when a Naaru dies he becomes Void.

But I think we're about to learn in Shadowlands that Death is the ultimate power, 'the enemy of all'.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's another thing I never understood. How is Illidan strong enough to eyebeam a Naaru Prime to death but still lost to Arthas before he even became the Lich King?
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~ Jesus of Nazareth
    "把它放在我的屁股,爸爸" ~ Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by Saltysquidoon View Post

OP the answer is while there's still an expo to milk out of it the Void will be stronger so we can be scrappy underdogs... But I think we all know what's going to happen when Anduin realises the power that's been sleeping inside him since we met him [URL="https://youtu.be/uuC9yxJ6_pY?t=71"]all those years ago[/U]
    The Legion's purpose wasn't to strengthen the Light, only to deny the Void Lords a physical vessel.

And whether the Void is threatening to us is independent of whether the Void or the Light is stronger. Neither would be terribly nice to us.

- - - Updated - - -

That's another thing I never understood. How is Illidan strong enough to eyebeam a Naaru Prime to death but still lost to Arthas before he even became the Lich King?
    Xe'ra was only just reawakened and may not even have expected an attack at all. What with her ridiculous fanfiction headcanon about him.

Pound for pound The light is stronger than the void, there opposite but not equal, but the shadow is far more abundant.

It's the classic good v evil trope. Good is always stronger than evil but evil always out numbers good.

15+ Year Old Account
    Illidan back then was weaker than Illidan when he blasted the crap out of the Naaru. That should have been an obvious thing.

A lot of time passed between the two instances.
    Personal Preference and Opinions ≠ Facts, Truth, or Logic

10+ Year Old Account
    Lorewise:

Warlocks ---> Degenerate Shaman's

And Holy Magic is the magic meant to be used against undead, that was the real propose of Paladins, slay undead.

7+ Year Old Account
    all powers are equal in power in the grand scheme of things, what happens i think, sometimes some sources are like rock-paper-scissors, Arcane and fel are equal in power, but arcane is susceptible to fel, maybe Void or necrotic magic are susceptible to Light

Dks don't use void, as far i know, their "shadow" magic is from the death "sphere"

Warlocks focus more on fel magic than void/shadow.

We don't have a full class focused on void magic, with shadow priest steeping in that.

Also, the skills you said are more for flavor, i think are things based from old rpg games, like turn evil/turn undead kind of thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    In the WoW cosmology, Light and Void are diametric opposites and also simultaneously define one another - they're intrinsically connected and inextricably bound, and one cannot exist without the other. While in the microcosm they might wax and wane, in the macrocosm they exist in an eternal balance.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

All of those things are leftovers from when the opposite of shadow was light. Now void is the opposite of light all of that doesn't really make sense anymore but best not to think about it too much.

Inb4 "The tian's PoV", "It's not technically a retcon since they still work... just for reasons", "Could you do better?", "Easy to criticise blizzard but they're a small indie company", "Gameplay > lore (on the lore forum)"